Dick Van Dyke Show theme song

Author: (headwalnut@thewalnuttimes.com) from Slingerlands, NY
11 September 2003

I wanted to give some additional information about The Dick Van Dyke Show theme song which was performed by Dick Van Dyke and The Vantastix at the TV Land Awards.

The theme music was composed by Earle Hagen. The lyrics to the song were written years later by Morey Amsterdam.

The barbershop quartet arrangement was written by David Van Deusen, publisher of The Walnut Times, The Dick Van Dyke Show newsletter.

The arrangement had been performed in public before at the Hollywood Bowl and at the Walk of Fame ceremony for Rose Marie, but it was the first time is was performed on television.

And the winner IS: nostalgia!!!

Author: Carycomic from Torrington, CT, USA
24 March 2003

*Warning! Potential spoilers ahead!* Where to begin? Well, I guess it would have to be with the medley of classical theme songs. Dave Cassidy and Shirley Jones were in fine voice, on "the Partridge Family" theme. And (much to my delight and surprise), so were Barry Williams and Maureen McCormick on "the Brady Bunch" theme! But, I especially loved the four-part harmony rendition of the "Dick Van Dyke" theme. I never knew there were words to it! Let alone, that Morey Amsterdam had composed it!! I was a little disappointed that no one came up from the audience to accept the Food Fight Award on behalf of "I Love Lucy." If not Lucy Arnaz or her brother, Desi Jr., then Keith "Little Ricky" Thibodeaux, at least. As for John Ritter? Well, he was all right. But, some of the jokes he was reading off the cue cards make me wish that those drop-dead gorgeous dancers had hosted, instead!

YEAH, BABY!

Author: Carycomic from Torrington, CT, USA
7 April 2003

This was a great special. (Possible spoilers!) I was surprised to learn that Marguerite Derricks, the credited choreographer, had also choreographed "Austin Powers: the Spy Who Shagged Me." It's only because of that movie's musical sequences that I think it's slightly better than the other two! I loved the split-screen FX used during Barbara Eden's acceptance speech for "Best Dual Character." My only regret is that Davy Jones, singing "the Monkees" theme, was not part of the opening medley.