IMDb > EuroTrip (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An hilarious American view on Europe

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
21 December 2004

First of all: Greetings from a guy living somewhere in between the Brussels sprouts, hahahaha. That's right, I'm from Belgium, you know the place that no-one really knows, not even the Europeans...

Even though I expected to really hate this movie, I have to admit that I had a lot of fun watching it. I loved to see how they magnified the stereotypes about the French, the English, The Germans,... and made fun about the Catholic church. Some people pointed out that it was clear that the makers really don't know anything about the countries they were making jokes about. Possible, but it didn't bother me once. It's a comedy, not a traveler's guide!

This is how the story goes: A teenager is dumped by his girlfriend on the day of their graduation. He has contact with a German girl, called Mieke, but he thought it was a guy called Mike. Knowing this and after he has seen her photo, he decides to pay her a visit in Berlin. But of course they don't just end up in Berlin. They start their trip in London, going to Paris, Amsterdam and Bratislava before getting to Berlin...

The movie's script or the plot were probably the least of the director's concerns. It's clear that they just wanted to go to Europe, have some fun and film one hilarious situation after the other. I've got the feeling that most of the European viewers didn't mind being the subject of the movie. Yes it's crude and yes it doesn't show anything about how Europe really is, but it's also incredibly funny. I give it an 8/10 for that.

Much much funnier than you would ever expect

Author: (oshram@aol.com) from Cleveland
22 February 2004

I know, I know, the trailer looks supremely dumb, so why go see this movie? Certainly not because it was from the people who gave us such gems as Road Trip or Old School, that's for sure, and it's not like I even recognized anyone in the cast (other than Michelle Trachtenberg, best known as Buffy's little sister Dawn). I guess I went because I found the trailer mildly amusing and I still had $9 on an AMC gift card that I had been given for Christmas. I've seen movies with less provocation, I suppose.

Eurotrip follows the adventures of four teens, Scott (Scott Mechlowitz), Cooper (Jacob Pitts), and twins Jamie (Travis Wester) and Jenny (Trachtenberg) as they backpack around Europe between high school graduation and beginning college. There's sort of a plot driving the film as Scott wants to meet up with his e-mail pen pal Mieke (Jessica Boehrs), whom he thought was male but finds out is actually a very attractive female. But really the movie is an excuse to have fun with typical American Euro-stereotypes.

Naturally the four fresh-faced kids get into all sorts of hijinks as they make their way through London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, and so on. And the foursome are your basic group: Scott is the well-meaning lead, Cooper the sarcastic wise-ass, Jamie the uptight planner and Jenny - well, my first indication that this wouldn't be a typical dumb teen comedy was when the other three guys all treat Jenny as one of the guys, and of course she's uber-cute Trachtenberg. They repeatedly refuse to think of her as a girl despite the filmmakers really showing off Trachtenberg's budding assets, which continues to play as funny through most of the film.

It may sound hard to believe, but I don't think I have ever laughed as hard or as long at another film as I did at this one. Maybe it's because my expectations were pretty low, but this was a hysterically funny film. From the opening moments where Scott is dumped by slutty girlfriend Fiona (Smallville's Kristin Kreuk, in a terrific cameo) to the very end of the film, I pretty much laughed the entire 90 minutes. Not only is there clever verbal play and uproarious sight gags (the arrival at Bratislava was so funny I almost fell out of my seat laughing), but the writers were masters of the recurring gag - the best of which is a song about Scott's breakup with Fiona (it makes sense in the film) constantly popping up as they travel throughout Europe. One particular scene involving English soccer hooligans traveling to France (led by the smashing Vinnie Jones) had me laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my face.

Everyone gives a game performance. Scott Mechlowitz is perfect as Scott, with just the right mix of leading man humor and straight guy stiffness. Jacob Pitts' Cooper is surprisingly low key for the smart-ass; usually this kind of character is way over the top, but Cooper manages to be funny without ever taking it too far. Travis Webster plays his nerdly Jamie well; we never look down on the guy, even though he's the more uptight one in the group. And Trachtenberg seems right at home being one of the guys even while attempting to transform herself into an object of teenage lust. The cameos - Matt Damon as a punk singer, Lucy Lawless as a Dominatrix, Kreuk, and so on - are all well cast and well used. You'll recognize a lot of the bit players from other places (Guy Ritchie films, SNL, etc) but they all work very well.

I didn't expect this film to be so repeatedly and exceptionally funny, and I guess it caught me off guard. I can't recall laughing this hard at any film in the last five years, and maybe ever. I hesitate to call it the funniest movie I've ever seen, because I've seen some great comedies, but I was still chuckling at this film more than a half hour after I was out of the theater. As far as movies performing above expectations this is one of the tops in that category. I guess some people would be put off by the European stereotypes, but the film was so inventively humorous and excessively clever

(they do a great parody of the Indiana Jones 'moving around the map' bit) that I was blown away. This is a movie I fully intend to see again, maybe a few times, and I'm already clearing off space for it on the DVD shelf. But don't take my word for it - go see it yourself and see one of the funniest movies in years.

Excellent Absurd Comedy: Funnier Than American Pie

Author: Killa_Cam from Saint Petersburg, Russia
17 August 2004

This movie is hilarious & a must see for those who like American Pie, Scary Movie, Senseless & similar types of comedies. Eurotrip uses almost every single cliché or stereotype regarding Europe & exaggerates it enormously in an unbelievably funny way.

Surprisingly the acting, which is done mainly by unknown actors & actresses, is very good. As for Michelle Trachtenberg, she is just plain awesome. Her acting deserves real praise. Plus, the film features several pretty successful cameo appearances. Lucy Lawless as S&M dominatrix is particularly hilarious.

Though the story itself can't be considered particularly original, the movie is interesting, cause of unstoppable flow of hilarious jokes. The theater was almost torn down with the viewers' laughter, when I watched the film. The scene with The Pope is an instant classic in my point of view, I haven't seen something this hilarious since the first Scary Movie came out. Some satirical aspects also take place in the movie: especially funny was the scene, when the characters arrive to a club in Slovakia & hear a techno remix of a song 'Scotty Doesn't Know'. Awesome moment.

In general, I think the film is underrated. In my opinion it is better than the first & the second American Pie, the second Scary Movie & a great number of less famous comedies. Go see it & have fun.

Favorite guilty pleasure of 2004

Author: Bruce Burns (burnsb319@earthlink.net) from Austin, Texas
17 May 2004

Okay, I admit it. Sometimes I enjoy dumb comedies, like "Police Academy" or "Joe's Apartment". And this is nothing if not a dumb comedy.

This type of film--the teen sex comedy--is precisely the sort of movie professional critics love to hate, instead recommending that we see artsy, coma-inducing independent, documentary and/or foreign-language films. But let's face it: "Animal House" was better than "Eraserhead". "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was better than "Babette's Feast". "American Pie" was better than "The Crying Game". And "Eurotrip" is better than "Capturing the Friedmans".

Now, since my favorite movies include "The Godfather", "Citizen Kane" and "Vertigo", you may ask why I liked this picture. Is it well-acted? No. Isn't the script stupid? And how. Is there any socially redeeming value? I couldn't find any. Isn't it xenophobic? Uh-huh. Doesn't it portray women as merely sex objects? Yep. Isn't it awfully crude? Yewbetcha. But what makes this film worth watching is quite simple: It's funny.

Granted, there's no greatness here. You will not see anyone as funny or talented as John Belushi, Bill Murray, Sean Penn, Cameron Diaz, Eugene Levy or Will Ferrell here. The only cast members with any real acting or comedic mettle are Matt Damon and Fred Armissen, who only make brief cameos. On the other hand, you won't see anyone as gut-wrenchingly awful as Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Tom Cruise, Ben Stiller, Tom Green, Seann William Scott, or Ashton Kutcher.

There's not much plot to speak of. A nice guy (Scott Mechlowicz) who has just graduated high school goes on a trip to Europe to find the girl of his dreams, a Berliner named Mieke (Jessica Boehrs) and takes along his three best friends: a lazy ne'er-do-well looking for kinky sex like in European erotica (Jason Pitts), a girl looking for romance like in European novels (Michelle Trachtenberg) & a nerd looking for museums like in European travel brochures (Travis Wester). Along the way they run into all the various European stereotypes: thuggish Brits, pretentious French, perverted Italians, desperately poor Eastern Europeans, etc.

Yet as crude and xenophobic as this movie can sometimes be, it is never anything but good-natured. I never got the sense that the filmmakers displayed any ill will towards the peoples they were lampooning. And I must say, for as much sex and nudity as there is in this movie (and there's a whole lot of it), the biggest laugh I got was a PG-rated battle of the robot mimes in Paris, which may be the only scene in the movie that can be shown un-edited on TV.

Although this may not be great art, or even great comedy, "Eurotrip" is a terribly crude, but awfully funny movie. 7 out of 10.

SOOOO Funny

Author: JennieMcJenJen from United States
12 January 2005

I love all types of movies, but I didn't expect to like this one. It looked like another stupid teen comedy to me. I was so surprised at how hilarious this was. I was rolling on the floor laughing my ass off. My new favorite song is "Scotty Doesn't Know!" And while this movie doesn't properly represent Europe and it's style and it's culture, it does enlist every stereotype Americans have about Europeans, and that's what makes it so damn funny. This movie is definitely one of my new favorites, and is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. If you just want to laugh at everything that's wrong with the world, then this is totally something you need to see.

Fun Flick but not for the Family

Author: Andrew from United States
14 March 2006

Prior to watching this movie for the first time, my friends would not stop quoting this movie and telling me how great it was. Now that I've seen it I can see why they love it so much. I will admit that this film is extremely raunchy and even shows some images I didn't think were allowed in R-rated movies. Never-the-less the jokes are hilarious and the plot flows rather smoothly.

Some people probably hate this movie because of the way it portrays Europeans. To them I say LIGHTEN UP! It's a movie that's meant to be stereotypical. They stereotype with taste, however, using many of the common views and prejudices that the average American feels towards the inhabitants of the various countries.

All in all, the cast was well selected, the music was awesome, the situations were entertaining, and the locations were great. I highly suggest this movie to people that love to laugh an don't get easily offended.

A small classic for us Europeans

Author: MrVibrating from Sweden
27 February 2007

Comedies like this is hard to rate. It's a bad movie, technically, acting-wise and in many other aspects. But it's funny, no denying that. After all, isn't that what comedies are about?

You would think a comedy like this would appeal only to Americans, but you are wrong. I know Germans, Aussies, Swedes and Hollanders who like this movie. I'm sure there are Brits, Italians, Eastern Europeans and Balkans who like it as well. You have to be able to laugh at yourself.

What the movie is about is a bunch of typical teens going for a little quest through Europe in search of the dream girl. Nothing new here. The misadventures on the way, the xenophobic jokes and stereotypes and odd characters are what you laugh at. Vinnie Jones as a crazy ManU supporter, Rade Serbedzija as a Bratislavian truck driver, and many other not that well- known actors doing silly and memorable roles.

Some scenes work, some don't. Some are really funny, like the robot battle outside the Louvren, and the Italian pervert smoking a post-sex cigarette. Matt Damon turns up somewhat unexpectedly in the USA and sings the catchy "Scotty doesn't know" song.

All in all, this is a great comedy to watch with your friends, and even better in international company.

Really Funny

Author: DAVE (ocasekfan@yahoo.com) from United States
11 May 2004

I just saw this at a second run theater and I found it to be very hilarious.

Funniest movie since Road Trip in my opinion.

Scotty's girl dumps him on graduation day, so he decides to find his internet friend in Europe, only to be taken for one heck of a ride. Along for the ride with Scotty are his friend Cooper (who looks and sounds like David Spade) and twins Jenny and Jamie.

The characters are likable, which really helps in this kind of movie.

Some surprise cameos also pop up.

I'll be adding adding this to my DVD collection for sure.

***/****

Great Comedy

Author: ingwio_vanhaecke from Belgium
31 December 2006

OK, most people will say, it's a comedy, let's rate it low, HELL NO! This is one of these rare good comedy's. Road Trip wasn't as good as this one. Scotty doesn't know is an instant classic. Nice change of scenery for Kristin Kreuk even though she just appears briefly. Scott Mechlowicz continues the good performance he had set in Mean Creek, not to be compared of course, but good performances in both. Michelle Trachtenberg is simply fabulous,she amazes me every time, except in crappy movies like Ice Princess or in "Buffy". She shows she can act in Mysterious skin, but just throws her talent away further down the line. As for the story, it's nothing special, title says it all. The only country they miss is Belgium :). It's a comedy people and yes, it's for teens, not a family movie if you want to hear it. You know what you get when you see it, so stop giving bad reviews about this! Simply amazing comedy if you like these kind of comedy's. And please don't go comparing it to American Pie or something like that. Guess that's all there is to say

Brilliantly funny view of Europe from the US

Author: mjw2305 from England
1 January 2007

EuroTrip takes a group of teenagers from the US on an unforgettable trip around Europe. After Scotty Thomas realises he has made a terrible mistake, he and his best friend set off to put things right and they run into some other friends in the process.

They visit Paris, Amsterdam, London and many more places which are all given a very amusing stereotypical makeover from an American viewpoint. With a strong cast, plenty of well written gags and an overall cheesy script - EuroTrip is definitely a winner.

If you enjoy this movie then also see RoadTrip, Old School and the American Pie series of films (certainly the first two anyway)

8/10 Great fun