IMDb > The Beginning: Making 'Episode I' (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Beginning: Making 'Episode I' (V) More at IMDbPro »

A True Fly-on-the-Wall Experience

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
25 January 2004

Is it wrong for a behind-the-scenes documentary to be better than the film it's focusing on? Now, I'm not one of those Star Wars fans that despised Episode I. In fact, I still quite enjoy it, but it isn't one of the best sci-fi movies you'll come across. However, The Beginning is probably one of the best making-of documentaries you will ever see. In fact, I bet The Beginning probably inspires current DVD makers on how to do a making-of featurette effectively.

Before writing this review, I read Guido Henkel's review on dvdreview.com, and I agree with him wholeheartedly on one aspect of this documentary that makes it so great. Instead of having a narrator tell you what's going on, you get to see what's happening for yourself as the documentary follows George Lucas, the staff, and the cast of Episode I around. Doing it this way, you really get a sense that you're watching this happen right in front of you. It's a true `fly on the wall' experience.

I have a lot of favorite parts in this documentary. I found it very interesting to see how the staff rebounded after their set was devastated by a storm in Tunisia. I also enjoyed watching Ewan McGregor through this documentary from when he talks to producer Rick McCallum over the phone about joining the project, to meeting George and his kids for his Jedi haircut, to the funniest line in the documentary when he perfectly lands a stunt in the lightsaber duel. Lastly, it was also great to see George Lucas in action and also seeing other great filmmakers, Steven Spielberg and Frank Oz, make appearances in the documentary as well.

Overall, this documentary is great for inquiring Star Wars and movie fans. I think it can also serve as a great learning tool for future filmmakers on how to make a big budget picture. You may not like the movie itself, but you have to respect all the hard work and dedication that went into Episode I.

My IMDb Rating: 10/10

Fly on the wall

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
3 July 2008

This is a feature-length documentary found on the 2-Disc Set of Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace. Coming in at just over an hour, this takes us through basically the entire film-making process on said title. I'm not sure there's really any aspect of the production not seen here. Casting, rehearsing, auditioning, shooting, special effects work, debating to solve one of the many problems that arise, and even staff meetings. The manner in which this is done is also notable... rather than the usual type, with interviews, "talking heads"(thank you, Adam Bertocci) and the like, this offers you the perspective that I allude to in my Summary. No one is really speaking to the camera, rather, they're conversing with each other, and we're "present" to experience it. We're usually only given enough information to understand the situation. This was put together from 600 hours of footage, the majority of which was shot on the sets and locations, including at ILM. It's well-edited and interesting throughout. The pacing isn't bad. There is a bit of suggestive dialog and minor language. I recommend this to fans of the movie, and/or those who want an inside look at it. 7/10