IMDb > Winter Solstice (2003) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Winter Solstice (TV) More at IMDbPro »

this film is nothing like the book

Author: sandra brown from United Kingdom
6 January 2005

If you are a fan of Rosamunde Pilchers book The Winter Solstice then be warned that this film bares very little resemblance to it. The only things that the book and film have in common are the title and some of the characters. The book is a wonderful story about love in the winter of the main characters lives. The plot revolves around a group of tenuously linked unhappy people. They are cleverly brought together and trapped due to bad weather. Christmas is normally a time of dread for the characters but due to companionship they have the best Christmas ever. This film has changed the whole feeling of the book. The characters have changed their personalities which distorts the story that was the basis of the book. It would have been better if the writer of the film had just written this story and filmed it in its own right. My friends and family are big fans of this book and were looking forward to seeing this film. We were bitterly disappointed and in fact a friend actually wrote to the channel that played this film to complain! I think that Rosamund Pilcher needs a new agent because apparently the same desecration happened to the filming of Coming Home! I am just sorry that such a talented bunch of actors were involved in this film.

I found this to be a wonderful movie

Author: mayina_51 from Peru
26 June 2005

Without having read the book, I just watched Winter Solstice, the movie. I can't help but saying that I found it to be a wonderful, touching and heartwarming movie, with a number of excellent actors and actresses of whom I had never heard before.

The character of Lucy Marchmont, played extraordinarily by young actress Anna Maguire, got to the bottom of my heart. She draws the character of a young teenager troubled by the fact that she does not have an apparent place in life and that she is constantly dumped one way or another by the people she loves, until the moment when only through the innocence of her young age, she manages to get straight to the heart of a mature Oscar Blundell, suffering for the loss of his own young daughter Francesca.

A great movie. Glad I watched it.

Film first then book

Author: susan-358 from United Kingdom
6 November 2005

I first saw the film when screened January 2005 I have since bought the DVD. I loved the whole casting in the film but in particular it was Sinead Cusack performance that delighted me. It lent itself to more in depth story and time spent on characters the brush stroke of the different story lines did however lure me to the book by Rosmunde Pilcher. I had not read her work before too romantic I thought but have since read some of her other works. The story of the film while being different from the book adds to it for a 'new' Pilcher fan. Gentle moving story in film more depth in book and great casting where has that Jan Niklas been very pleasant on the eye.

Looked like they were just reading the lines

Author: Gail Field from Brisbane, Australia
21 March 2005

I hadn't read the book and tuned into this one afternoon hoping for a good drama. Unfortunately it just looked like the people were reading the parts and didn't put any enthusiasm into the role. The best of the lot was Cusack but the others just didn't seem to have any personality. Plus the plot twists were predictable. The scenery was lovely but the characters all seemed two dimensional with no depth to them at all. Plus I didn't think that the main character would sleep with someone 2 weeks after the death of his wife. I also found it unbelievable that having lived in a village for over 10 years, his only friend was the woman who'd just moved in.