IMDb > The Prize Fighter (2003) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Prize Fighter (V) More at IMDbPro »

Below Average Boxing Film.

Author: Comeuppance Reviews from United States Minor Outlying Islands
31 August 2005

"The Prize Fighter" is a mediocre movie. The plot is about Ed Jones, who is trying to become a boxing champion. He gets a manager after winning a couple fights. It looks like he's on top of the world, but a family tragedy gets the best of Ed, and he quits. Will he eventually rise back to the top? The movie isn't that good, but you can see that everybody was trying their best. The movie looks cheap and the sound is out of sync.

Gary Busey makes an appearance as a rival boxing manager. He's always entertaining. If the movie focused on Busey's character it would have been more fun to watch.

In the end: It's not worth seeing because it has poor acting and too many clichés.

For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com

This movie is terrible!

Author: AlexandraPDX from United States
10 March 2006

You would think that Tonya Harding would get the hint to never return to the movies after her disastrous debut in Breakaway. Her acting is just as bad as ever. Not to mention the storyline is dry and boring. Save your money and don't rent or buy this flick!

Let's be perfectly honest here, I fell asleep because this film failed to keep my interest. My suggestion to the writers of this film is leave the boxing films to the real writers in Hollywood because they know how to keep the audience's attention.

Also the next time you want to cast for a female character. Don't cast Tonya Harding, that woman is box office poison.

Enjoyable

Author: sdcafunnyguru from United States
15 June 2013

This movie won't win any Oscars, but it was a solid, believable story that held up and kept my interest throughout. With a few exceptions, the performances were all believable. I especially enjoyed Pat Richardson as Arliss King, but I'm afraid Gary Busey seemed to be sleepwalking through his role. As a rule, I've never been a big fan of boxing movies, though this one presented a story and characters that were pretty credible. I spent some time in Oklahoma in the 1990s, so some of the locations brought back a few nice memories and the regional characters were much like I remember them. To be honest, I wasn't sure just what to expect from this movie, but the writing, story, camera work, editing, pacing and other production values were on par with a lot of the made-for-cable movies I've watched over the years. Considering its rather modest budget and mostly unknown cast, it was surprisingly well done. This movie didn't disappoint me at all and I can recommend it without reservation.