IMDb > NASCAR: The IMAX Experience (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience

NASCAR: The IMAX Experience More at IMDbPro »NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience (original title)

First Place Finish!

Author: Chris Winston from Fairbanks, U.S. Territory of Alaska
26 March 2004

Going to see this movie in the south, in Nascar country, was quite an experience. People in line wearing their favorite drivers' shirts and hats. People cheering when their favorite driver showed up on screen. Me, I'm not a Nascar fan... well, on a scale of 0 to 10, ten being a full blown, Winnebago drivin' redneck, never misses a race, I'm about a 1 or a 2, couldn't name a dozen drivers past and present. Yet that didn't stop me from going ‘cause I'm a guy and guys love cars, fast cars, well, they should and I do. Seeing the commercials for this got me revved up before it even started showing. First day it was out I was there and what a ride! I was not prepared for the IMAX experience in 3D for this had been my first time at such a movie. WOW!!! All I can say is awesome. Someone I went with who'd been to races before and enjoys the "sport" very much said this does not compare to being at a race up close and personal. I'll take his word for it but being a casual fan who never watches more than 20 minutes of a race on TV, a fan who's never been to a race and might not ever go, this was incredible! The scenes from the cockpit of the cars, the roar of the engines, the way much of the movie leapt out at you and you could practically touch it... this ain't 3D as I remember it from my youth 20 years ago! Simply awesome!! The DVD I will own one day when my home viewing situation allows me to display this on nothing less than an 8 or 10 foot screen. Anything smaller and the effect would be completely wasted unless you're just casually watching it... which is okay but this is more than a casual viewing experience, this is an event that rocks! My only complaint is the movie could've been a little longer with more ROAR and more music and more close head to head racing but otherwise I still give this a VERY firm grade of: A. No, not everyone should see this but anyone who loves fast cars, even someone like me, a Purebred New Englander who grew up in New Jersey NOT a Nascar fan, would probably enjoy this movie. I'm thinking of going again soon... but then again since it's made for IMAX hopefully once its initial runtime is through, it'll show up periodically. I hope so ‘cause this is worth a second viewing in the theater (and remember - I'm not even a real Nascar fan!)

Amazing footage...even better sound!

Author: jgordonsux from Frankfurt Germany
9 September 2004

As a die hard NASCAR fan, this movie was unbelievable! The images look so crystal clear, you could almost feel the the texture of the asphalt as you ride along. Great 3D effect, though towards the end I had a slight headache due to eye strain. The sound was the most authentic reproduction of a NASCAR race I've ever heard. The engines roar as loud and beefy as being at the track. Certainly a must see. Even the non-NASCAR fans will enjoy it and perhaps become interested in the greatest sport in the world. Only one thing that bothered me about the film was the fact that there are certain things that you wanted to see in focus... that weren't (hence the eye strain headache). If you can get a seat in the back of the theater...perhaps the eye strain would be less. Other than that... it's the best IMAX movie out there now. A must see, and I'm buying a copy when it hits the shelves on DVD. Not just 2 thumbs up... all ten digits up!

Strictly for Nascar fans, and even they will be only mildly entertained

Author: Davidon80 (davidquocanhon@gmail.com) from Saigon, Vietnam
2 May 2006

First of all I am not a fan of Nascar, I do follow the odd Formula One race, but living in Europe, Nascar is something I may happen to see playing at five in the morning on one of the sport shows, or is a sport I prefer to play on the Playstation. As a cultural phenomenon, a thrill sport, or a symbol of national prestige (as so many American sports tend to be) it goes entirely over my head.

Now Nascar IMAX was something I was looking forward to, yes I actually thought that the promise of seeing these races in 3D would make me appreciate some of the dynamics of the sport. Alas no, or at least this is not the movie that will achieve this end. The movie is slow, with very few action scenes, doesn't look that great in 3D and is heavily dependant on dialogue. These should be basic no,no's for an IMAX movie, and yet some bright spark continues to invest heavily in such banal material.

I do long for the day when IMAX equipment will be put into the hands of a true master of cinema, I remember watching Nascar thinking, "with all this technology, all this money, the best they can do is deliver a weak documentary about racing cars?". I guess IMAX could be the next frontier of cinema, and with the way cinema is heading, this can not come any sooner. Alas, Nascar IMAX is not the one that's gonna take IMAX to the edge. So I guess the IMAX gauntlet remains unraised. Any takers??

An Amazing Look at the World of Nascar Racing

Author: Workin_Man from Nova Scotia
3 April 2006

Nascar 3-D: The IMAX Experience is truly an experience that I will never, ever forget. This is actually the first movie I have seen at an IMAX theatre and believe me guys, I did not regret driving 100 miles to see this. This has got to be one of the most incredible experiences that I have ever... experienced!! And the 3-D picture made this movie 10 times better because I sometimes forgot it was only a movie and I actually thought the cars were gonna hit me!! I even braced for impact!! It was just so real that... I still can't believe it!!

Nascar 3-D: The IMAX Experience was not only an enjoyable movie to watch. It also touched me in a way that I never felt before. Since the death of Dale Earnhardt in 2001, I have respected Nascar and the drivers a lot more. While I watched this movie, I kept flashing back to the moment when Earnhardt hit the wall on the final turn of the Indianapolis 500. I am still haunted by that moment. And I probably will be for a long time to come.

In conclusion, all Nascar fans need to see this movie. You will really enjoy it for not only the action but also for the science behind Nascars and how they work and for many, many more things. This movie is not just for Nascar fans. I believe everybody will enjoy this film. My sisters were 4 years old at the time when they saw it and they were having the time of their life!! So go see this movie. You will enjoy it immensely and you will remember it for a long, long time.

a visual knockout but it could have had more racing footage

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
15 May 2005

There would be no point in denying that "NASCAR: The IMAX Experience" loses a little something in its transference to the small screen. However, it's still an eye-popping documentary for both die-hard racing fans and those viewers who know little or nothing about the sport - although the hardcore aficionados might wish there had been a little less talk on the soundtrack and a little more action on the racetrack to make the experience a more compelling and complete one.

This comes as a bit of a surprise, especially considering the fact that the film was originally shot in the 3-D IMAX format. One might reasonably expect that the movie would be little more than a succession of speeding cars and hurtling objects aimed directly at the stunned eyes of the audience. Not so, for the movie actually spends far more time on the nuts-and-bolts, behind-the-scenes aspects of NASCAR than on the racing itself. The film provides a brief background on the organization's less-than-savory moonshine roots, then proceeds to fill us in on various aspects of the sport itself, including the construction, specifications and testing of the cars, the training of the pit crews, the loyalty of the fans, etc. It also takes time out to honor the memory of the late racing great Dale Earnhardt, although due to the film's rather meager 49 minute running time, the tribute, like virtually everything else in the movie, comes across as a little more halfhearted and perfunctory than, perhaps, in all good conscience, it should.

To get most of the racing shots, director Simon Wincer strapped his camera crew into vehicles of their own in order to provide audiences with an experience as close to the real thing as possible. The majority of these sequences come in the last ten minutes or so of the film. As with all IMAX productions, the clarity and beauty of the picture is, indeed, a wonder to behold, with the colors literally leaping off the screen in many-hued splendor. Even without 3-D glasses and a two-story sized screen, this is a great visual experience. Now if they could have just shown a little more racing…

NASCAR

Author: ajnrules from Kansas
14 March 2004

VVVRRRRRrrroooommm! The thunderous sounds at a typical NASCAR race should be unforgettable for anybody that has seen a race on TV or live at the stadium.

The excitement of watching cars drive around at almost 200 mph is lost on some, but for some people it's become almost a religion.

NASCAR, an acronym for National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing, is the subject of the latest IMAX phenomenon, "NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience." However, the film seems to be made primarily for educating the general public.

Not that that's a bad thing. The film deals with all possible aspects of NASCAR racing, so even NASCAR enthusiasts might learn something. Director Simon Wincer, the man that brought us the "Lonesome Dove" miniseries, brings us a film that makes us almost all of us care about the sport, NASCAR fan or not.

The script, written by Sports Illustrated NASCAR correspondent Mark Bechtel, is typical documentary fare, with interviews, stock footage, and a lot of factual information.

The first half of the movie deals largely with the history of NASCAR. The movie opens with a dramatized chase through the North Carolina wilderness, thus setting up the evolution of the sport that would eventually become NASCAR.

Following the discussion of the 1947 conference that laid the foundations of NASCAR, the film goes on to talk about some of the (relatively) early NASCAR greats: Junior Johnson, Lee Petty, Richard Petty, Kyle Petty, Darrell Waltrip, and of course, Dale Earnhardt.

Yes, they do have footage from the 2001 race that killed NASCAR's greatest star. Though they don't actually show the crash, they do make reference to it. Anybody watching the film with a more-than-mild interest in NASCAR had better expect an emotional reaction. The crash serves as a bridge linking the first half to the second half: How NASCAR Works.

This film goes through everything you can think of, from the engineers in garages building car frames and engines to the pit crews training 38 out of the 52 weeks a year.

The film discusses the importance of teams, how a typical race works, and even what the fans are like. People that know nothing about NASCAR would learn a lot from this film.

Okay, so there¡¦s nothing really special about the script, but that's not where this film excels. "NASCAR 3D" makes the most of the IMAX technology, and the filmmakers know it. "NASCAR 3D" is one of the few IMAX movies that have the IMAX specs right on the poster.

The film's remarkable cinematography puts you right into the action. Cars zoom past camera placed on the track. Cameras inside the car allow you to see what the driver sees. Aerial shots show exactly what a mob of 120,000 people looks like. The list goes on.

The editing job is top notch. Rapid editing gives viewers the impression that there is a lot more going on in the race than cars racing around a racecourse. An impressive sequence where stock footage of a crash is repeated all over the screen can best be described as awe-inspiring.

The IMAX sound technology is put to good use. The sound of roaring engines is strong enough to rumble the seats. Good luck in finding that same effect in movie theaters.

However, there is a surprisingly large amount of relatively quiet moments present in the film, so the rumble effect isn't used that often. This isn't actually that bad. After all, there is probably a limit to how much a person can stand to be vibrated.

The technological strengths of this movie make up for the blandness of the screenplay, making "NASCAR 3D" one of those rare documentaries that can keep viewers interested the whole way through.

If you're already a NASCAR fan, then "NASCAR 3D" is probably near the top on your must-see list. Well, I'm not so sure about what everybody had expected, but I suppose it's safe to say that it lives up to everybody expectations. If you're not a NASCAR fan, then "NASCAR 3D" is still a worthy piece of entertainment.

So "NASCAR 3D" is must-see material. The problem is finding a theater that plays it, as there are only 75 IMAX theaters in North America carrying "NASCAR 3D".

Dull as dishwater

Author: gizmomogwai from Canada
4 March 2010

I got a box of 20 IMAX movies at a Christmas gift exchange and this was the one with the least amount of appeal to me. I've never been interested in sports or cars. In watching cars race, there's no thought required, no deep meaning. You're just supposed to be impressed by shiny fast things. This is a movie about racing cars so it will be of little interest to me.

A lot of it is talk, or the movie focuses on the mechanics of making the cars. All of this might appeal to people interested in mechanics, but not me. Some of it talks about the fan base. I heard these people say NASCAR is great, but I still don't see why. There are only a couple interesting facts of science sprinkled into the film, only a couple of attention-grabbing crashes. Nothing to get too excited about.

A Movie that is to Short to Really be a Hit

Author: aidro10 from United States
31 July 2006

I really liked what was in the movie, but what ruined it for me was how short it was. Although at least 5 minutes of the movie is spent looking at fans (most particularly American women) i believe it was very informative and interesting. If you need time to kill before a date then this is a must see. If you enjoy big crash scenes, constant action, and hot shot rookies you will not enjoy this. As strained in the summary this movie was intelligently produced but needed more time to be further gone into, in other words perhaps a further explanation of a few things would make this movie better. I know its a imax movie and was made to be short but i still stand by opinion. Worth the trip to the video rental place, but not the video store.

Well worth a look

Author: Michael Cook from Sydney, Australia
13 March 2005

What a great film! Being from Australia, I was not a huge fan of NASCAR racing but I'm certainly aware of how big it is in the States. If I come across a NASCAR race on cable I will usually stop and watch it 'till the end. It's always great racing but TV just does not do it justice. I was not prepared for how exciting this film would be. From the first explosive sound of the engines starting to the closing credits, there was not one second of wasted film. I was fascinated by the celebrity of the drivers, the skill of the pit crew and the technical brilliance of the engineers, not to mention the passion of the spectators. If I ever get to the States I will visit one of the big circuits and revel in the spirit of the sport. NASCAR 3D on IMAX....Worth every cent.

nascar rulz

Author: Karl Wooden (harvickfan1) from Sapulpa, Oklahoma
24 March 2004

If any does not watch nascar races and would like to know more about this is the movie to see. If you can not afford to go to a race or do not know where the races are you NEED to see this movie. Go see the movie it is real. I feel that this movie is the true way nascar needs to be seen on the BIG screen and very LOUD. The 3D effects rock you could reach out and touch the cars that have 800 horsepower the sound of 12000 watts of digtial will shake you in your seat. I have been to a real race in Texas and ther is no other event that would come close to being there live as this movie brings you closer to the action behind pit wall and in the middle of the track. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!