IMDb > "Chappelle's Show" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Chappelle's Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Chappelle's Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

This show will go down as the funniest show of the decade

Author: john ribaudo from St. Louis, Missouri
30 June 2004

Mark my words....

Some people deem this show as racist/sterotyping/labeling. Well I think thats the point.

Welcome to the new millennium, where a guy takes things we've had in my country (USA) since its founding, like racism and makes it funny (An effort to try to tear down racial barriers? Maybe) and exploits how ridiculous and stupid racism and sterotyping really is.

And at the same time how does Chapelle hit pop culture so well? The vice city sketch, John Mayer in the Harlem barber shop, the player haters ball, the real world with one super white guy, I know black people, and of course the racial draft...

You just got to take all the skits' racism out of context (The way I think Chapelle does), and just laugh at yourself and your entire race for once instead of hyper-defending your race. And if you can do that you'll realize why this is one of the funniest shows of the decade.

Edgy, politically incorrect...hilarious

Author: makdaddy53 from USA
24 August 2004

Dave Chapelle is one of the funniest men alive. He's no George Carlin or Richard Pryor but they've had years to show their genius. Chapelle makes racist jokes but no group is exempt, everyone is a target, so for white people claiming he is racist he takes a lot of shots at black people too. This show is hilarious, It reminds me of Richard Pryor's short lived show, he manages to slip little things under the radar, and he is unapologetic about it, which makes it better. Charlie Murphy has proven that he is the funny Murphy, he's capitalizing on what Eddie once was, I see Charlie becoming just as famous if not more than his brother, Eddie edge has plummeted in the last couple years. Keep this show on Comedy Central

One of the funniest shows on TV

Author: whiteysopinion from Nashville, TN
10 August 2004

This guy [see above] must be higher than Dave was on Half-Baked. Chappelle's Show is not only funny, but it's smart and irreverent too. When some people see it as sophomoric, Dave embraces that only to make fun of them. Look beneath the sometimes low-brow humor and you'll probably find a deep sociological statement. It must be funny to a lot of people because Dave just got PAID! I hope they can keep the show at the level it is now because it is simply hysterical, and the bits with Paul Mooney are brilliant. Richard Pryor himself watches the show and enjoys it, and if the funniest man ever likes it, Dave Chappelle must be doing something right.

It has been awhile since i have hurt from laughing.

Author: (jbass-5) from United States
27 May 2005

I don't usually comment on things, and spend more time reading and seeing what others have to say, but I think Dave deserves more praise.

I just got season 2 on DVD and it has been nonstop laughter since I put it in. There were several times when I had to pause the show because I couldn't breathe.

I almost died when the grenade came rolling into the house in the skit that showed what would happen if Enron execs and similar were treated like true criminals.

It's bad that I like the show so much. Sometimes i bust out laughing at work and people think I am insane (which I probably am) On another note, I hope things can be worked out for season 3. If this is the end of the show, then I thank Dave for giving us what he has and I wish him the best.

GREAT Show!

Author: gluba2000 from South Boston, Massachusetts
31 July 2004

I know I've already commented on this show but I just feel like commenting on it again.

I keep thinking but the writing for this show is genius!

The cast is talented (especially Dave!) Dave can do an impression of (I'm sure) any celebrity!

Donnel Rawlings is talented, Mooney is talented, Charlie Murphy is talented.

If you haven't seen Chappelle's Show you don't know what you're missing out on!

It is probably one of the best sketch comedy shows ever.

It would be a real shame if Dave finally decided not to come back for a 3rd season...

The show has everything , though...great cast, great sketches, great guests, great musical guests!

If you haven't seen the show then damn! Get out there and watch it!!!

Genius

Author: radonner from Arlington, VA
3 June 2005

I just reviewed the two season DVDs, in anticipation of the third season (alas postponed), and I have concluded that this is the funniest show on TV in a long time. Yes it's a little too edgy and risqué for some people, but those aren't the people who I give a >bleep!< about anyway.

It's not just Dave who does it all; he has a great cast around him (Ashy Larry may be one of my favorites), gets major names to drop in (Anthony Anderson, Mos Def, Wyclef Jean) and to stay (Charlie Murphy), and his longer-serving characters are no less valid than the fresh ones (Tyrone the crack addict).

It is not for the uptight; it is not for the close-minded. What he pokes fun at is stereotypes, and that's a taboo for many people today. The barriers that political correctness attempted to break down over the last 15 years is exposed by Chappelle in 24 episodes, showing the truth behind the masks that we all wear. Those of us strong enough to handle it find him refreshing and downright hilarious. Those who don't will face the consequences as they manifest themselves in myriad other, humorless ways.

Funny as hell and Chappelle is a great comedian

Author: OriginalMovieBuff21 from United States
24 June 2005

I just started watching "Chappelle's Show" about two months ago after hearing how hilarious the show was. Early on I really never got into the show and I just didn't look forward to it so after everyone was saying how funny it was, I borrowed both seasons from a friend. "Chappelle's Show" is hilarious! Mostly all of the sketches are drop down funny. My favorite sketch is Prince but other hilarious ones are racial draft, rick james, wayne brady, the pee song, gay people like ku klux klan, boxer, lawnmower, etc. Other ones like when keeping it real goes wrong, "We F*cked up", and lots of other ones. I will buy both seasons of "Chappelle's Show" and I will hope there will be another season coming out because Dave Chappelle is an amazing comedian.

Hedeen's Outlook: 10/10 **** A+

Chappelle Canceled?

Author: ice2004 from Indy
27 April 2004

It's a good thing Comedy Central didn't listen to "Virginia's" comments in this person's hopes of having the Chappelle Show canceled. Dave is the funniest thing on tv hands down. Comedy Central knows it and apparently everyone but one user on here knows it too. The Charlie Murphy episodes are brilliant. However, the 'Wayne Brady' skit was one of the most funniest skits I've ever seen in my lifetime. I got to work the next day and the entire department was quoting from it. It's been a while for a comedy show to come along and have such an impact on 'all of us'. I'm looking forward to the third season. Dave, Keep up the good work.

Absolutely hilarious

Author: whoTheFuqRyou from NYC
30 November 2003

Dave Chappelle's show on Comedy Central might just be one of the best variety comedies ever. Dave Chappelle has a gift of making people laugh and his voice doesn't help anything at all as he has a funny voice too. He delivers in his mockery of R. Kelly, "The Black white supremacist" and Fisticuffs w/ Funkmaster Flex and Big Tigger. I can't wait for the second season to begin, it's hard to predict what he has in store for us fans

GREAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: Lydia from Waukesha, WI
29 April 2003

What can I say about this show, but AWESOME! I love Chappelle's Show. The skits are absolutely hilarious. Just in case you haven't seen it, some of the best skits you want to look out for are "What would happen in Black People got their reparations", "The Car Commercial", "Wrap It Up", "UPN", and tons more. I can't wait until this series comes out on DVD.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]