IMDb > DC 9/11: Time of Crisis (2003) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

DC 9/11: Time of Crisis (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Politics Aside, this is a good historical drama

Author: LARSONRD from Eureka, CA
4 July 2005

Reading the other reviews of this film are telling - and I think the posting by dromasca told it all - most viewers are unable to shed their political leanings concerning films like this, and most reviews (positive and negative) seem to be borne from one's personal leanings in that regard. It would be interested to note if this film had been released before the end of 2001, would it have garnered more positive reviews? But now in the wake of FAHRENHEIT 9/11 (and by the way if you have seen that film you owe it to yourself to also see FAHREN-HYPE 9/11 just to get a balanced report - before making up your mind), this film seems to add more fuel to the Bushfires. I found it to be a compelling Showtime TV movie, focusing on the perspective of President George W. Bush in the week following the Sept 11th attacks on the USA. While the focus and timing (released on DVD just in time for the 2004 presidential election; although the film itself debuted on TV on Sep 7 2003) may suggest propaganda (and there may be just a bit of heavy handed pro-Bush emphasis; but then, the film is told from his perspective); however the film is excellently put together and was written by respected historical writer Lionel Chetwynd (who wrote the terrific IKE: COUNTDOWN TO D-DAY, and who reportedly had unprecedented access to the key White House personnel, including GW, to ensure the comprehensiveness and relative accuracy of his script). As a result, the film seems reasonably credible. It's fascinating to discover some of the innerworkings of our government on that dark day, and to depict the human side of GW, even while resurrecting strong emotions over the events of that day – events which many Americans seem to have forgotten in their rush to criticize foreign policy… Timothy Bottoms is outstanding in his portrayal of GW, resembling him as he does physically (ironically, he played GW on TV's irreverent THERE'S MY BUSH) many of the other cast members bear a striking resemblance to the people they play also (Ashcroft, Rice, Rumsfeld, Cheney).

Perhaps a bit of propaganda, but a good depiction of events

Author: ibscas from Denver, CO
13 January 2004

First off, Timothy Bottoms does a great job as Dubya. In fact, all of the actors, except for the guy who play Colin Powell, looks very much and acts very much like their real counterparts.

While this film was very Bush-friendly, I think it was accurate. Bush is a caring man, you can tell by his whole emotion during 9/11 (not the movie, but in real life). Everyone wants to think he's this dopey guy who doesn't do anything at all and lets others make his choices. Dopey or not, he made it to Governor and President, he's not too dopey if he did that. Think its luck? Could you do it? Nope and neither could I.

That being said, this was a decent film for the fact that it was rushed out and not very high budget. It really stirred up some memories for me and brought me to tears a few times. The whole Iraq and WMD issues were there and were not painted as a conservative or liberal slant, I would say that it both supported and damned the Bush administration just as much as it supported and damned the liberal viewpoint on the Iraq war.

I never thought of Bush as a great president, but if the movie is really true to life, then I am wrong, he is a great president. He was portrayed as a president that takes action and has the country's best at heart. Did he pawn off some business rebuilding Iraq to some buddies of his, but what politician hasn't or wouldn't do that? If you think Clinton didn't profit or his buddies didn't profit during his administration then you are living in a dream world.

Anyway, I think it's worth watching this movie. In fact I would like to buy it. I'll admit that I'm a Bush supporter, but I'm also fair enough to recognize propaganda even if it supports my candidate. This is a bit of that, but since there were consultants for this film from both sides I believe that it's just like every other movie made, a bit of Hollywood, a bit of the producers politics and a bit of fact. Although I think it's mostly fact.

Too early for 9/11 films

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
24 January 2004

IMDB viewer votes statistics are sometimes as fascinating as the information about the films or the user comments. In this case, roughly 25% of the viewers rated this film at 10, while almost 50% gave it a 1. This tells that we - IMDB viewers - are judging this film according to our political beliefs and not as cinema. Maybe it is too early to make films about 9/11, the emotions are still here, the pain is still intense, the same US president is in office, and we all live daily the fall-outs of 9/11. If we avoid the political judgment, what can we say about the film? Not too much I am afraid. It is not too good as political drama, it does not say too much about the real people behind their masks, well known from the TV screens. Too much film propaganda, too many lines from political speeches and too little human emotion. The film gets a 6 out of 10 on my personal scale.

Greatly appreciated the White House's perspective.

Author: dalejones7 from Wichita KS
9 September 2006

I felt that potential viewers might want to read a comment from someone who enjoyed the film. I rented this recently and was taken aback by how good it was. It says clearly on the package that it is from the White House's perspective and that is was based upon interviews with them, so I don't see why people are so insulted it paints a favorable light on the President. It dramatizes what happened the first 9 days after 9/11. It shows the emotions they went through as well as being able to see the beginnings of many decisions that effect us today. The reenactments of scenes I saw live on TV when they happened have helped me to better understand some of the things that have resulted. I don't have reason to doubt much of it's credibility unless you just don't like Bush and hate to see anything positive said about him. As far as quality of acting and cinematography, I'm not much good at discerning those things, but I do know when a movie impacts me......this one has.

A Very Pleasant Surprise

Author: chaffs from Hammonton, NJ
10 September 2003

When I first saw the promo for this movie, I didn't think it would be worth watching; first, because cable (even premium channel) original movies are seldom good, and second, because I assumed a movie about 9/11 would be filled with anti-Bush sentiment (Hollywood being overrun with crazy leftists and all.)

I began watching, expecting to turn it off in ten minutes. However, the movie turned out to be a diamond in the rough, a very pleasant surprise.

Of course, the cast is certainly not A-list (they seem to have been cast mainly for their resemblances to administration members--John Cunningham in particular being Rummy's doppelganger). However, I can't think of one person in the cast who didn't turn a passionate, stirring, and accurate performance; from David Fonteno's tentative Colin Powell to Allen Coates's condescending Senator Byrd. These actors have certainly done their homework.

Given that this movie, in premium channel style, will probably be played ad nauseam over the next few months, everyone will have plenty of chance to see it, and see it they should. Though it's rather weak praise, it's probably the best cable-tv original movie I've ever seen.

A fair and balanced opinion for a change.

Author: srchprtnrs from Hollywood, CA
13 January 2004

I am so disgusted that the opinions of the Libs require me to even respond.

I feel that the opinions of the majority,who rated this film a 1, did so not on the basis of artistic merit, but on politics. Let's stick to our knitting here folks. I thought the film was capably acted, had some very effective cut-aways and told an interesting account of the days immediately following our nation's greatest tragedy. To balance the leftist propaganda machine, I vote this a 10!

Great story of the personalities who were in power during the tragedy of 9/11.

Author: yyessway1-1
19 September 2003

Regardless of your politics, this is a pretty straightforward account of September 11th. President Bush and his aides and cabinet rose to the challenges of this national emergency and this movie tells that story. It was a little strange watching an actor play George W.; but I was glad the performers resisted any exaggeration.

The Michael Moore Antidote

Author: steven wales from Big City, Big State
15 September 2004

Flawless celluloid or not, this film--based on numerous interviews with members of the Bush Administration--provides a rational response to Michael Moore's juvenalian fiction. I cannot recommend the film more strongly, simply as equal time. If you dislike Bush, consider watching the film and asking yourself if all that happened after September 11 could have happened any other way. Bush's critics, (e.g., Moore, James Carville, etc.) sometimes sound like the legalize-pot activists who insist the Founding Fathers all smoked marijuana. This in spite of the fact that their own pot smoking habits have often robbed the activists of discipline and ambition and left them a shadow of who they might have become. The fact is, mellowed-out potheads would never have pledged their "lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor" to fight a Revolutionary War. Similarly, a dunce who sits in Cheney's lap could not have handled the events of September 11 as Bush did. What this film may lack (and I'm not conceding it lacks anything), it makes up for with the unmistakable ring of truth.

A movie every American should see!

Author: tonyfrontino from United States
24 June 2005

This movie showed the strength of our government during a major crisis. The movie showed President Bush and his cabinet at their best. The movie was written from actual transcripts after the attack. It is a shame that the movie didn't received any PR. I saw it on HBO and then it was gone. No one on any radio talk shows mentioned it. Everyone talked about Farenheit 911, which was a trash of the events of 911. It was false and a put down of the government. I believe that schools should show DC 9/11. It showed the fast reaction of our government. Also the many hard decisions that had to be made by President Bush. It also showed the reaction of the Bush's Family. I am buying a copy of the movie!

Great snapshot of our commander in chief in his most important role.

Author: mgpowell2003 from Texas
10 September 2004

Great, great film. I recommend it to all. Of course, die hard liberals need not watch it since they will be watching Farenheit 911 and believing the trash Michael Moore spins, but if you want the truth about the actions of our commander in chief, this is for you.

Timmoth Bottoms nails GW's character. From not being able to find the adequate words to express his grief and sorrow to a nation, to stopping reporters in their tracks from saying things that would potentially cause undue stress on a group of kindergartners (he said: "we can discuss that later (meaning NOT HERE)." The accurate portrayal of a leader who took charge during that period of time.

It done accurately, it is done with no political leanings, and it is just a great piece of work.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]