IMDb > Mad Dogs (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mad Dogs More at IMDbPro »

Only watch this movie while stoned

Author: MBunge from Waterloo, Iowa
2 June 2010

Mad Dogs is definitely one of those movies where its subjective quality goes up in direct proportion to the viewer's level of intoxication. And there must have been some really good drugs at work when they made this over in Great Britain.

Theoretically, the movie is about Rabbie Burns (Iain Fraser), a schizophrenic who's just being released from his treatment program. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't last a day before he starts hearing voices again. These voices, however, claim not to be hallucinations. Rather, they're working with a pigman who shows up on Rabbie's TV and tells him to stop the American government from using a teleporting explosive to blow up a planet hundreds of light years away from Earth, or alien forces will reduce Earth to a burned out cinder. That leads to Rabbie, his girlfriend Narendra (Indira Varma) and his homeless, saxophone playing buddy Jimmy Joyce (Paul Barber) running to and fro around London, encountering a bizarrely theatrical British cop, three Men in Black from America and conversing with The Supreme Being (Jonathan Pryce) over a hotel television, before the dead rise from the grave and decide to hang out at Rabbie's apartment. Oh, and all of the dogs in Great Britain have caught a deadly strain of Mad Cow disease and are being destroyed.

Somebody was smoking something when they came up with that. I've watched British costume dramas, British crime flicks, British war/colonial movies and more but I'm not really sure what genre of British film-making Mad Dogs fits into. The closest thing I can compare it to is a 90 minute long Monty Python sketch where one absurd situation is piled on top of another without any real payoff at the end. None of the actors are trying to play things seriously, yet the film isn't funny either. It's quirky and eccentric and maybe there's a bunch of British cultural references being touched on throughout the movie, but to me it's the equivalent of a bunch of American teenagers getting hopped up on cold medicine and trying to make a movie one afternoon with their parents' old video camera.

Mad Dogs is also filled with as much profanity as any movie not featuring a concert performance by Eddie Murphy in a leather suit. There's almost a Tourette's Syndrome quality to the dialog, with the F word joining "I" and "the" as the most commonly used words in the English language.

If you're looking to get severely drunk or stoned and want to watch something that will leave a deep impression on your malleable psyche…Mad Dogs is definitely a good candidate. If you're sober, though, you'd probably enjoy anything else more…even a movie starring Pauly Shore and Steven Seagal as twin brothers separated a birth who reunite to save their sister's ostrich ranch from the Albanian mob.

Bloody Awful

Author: artpf from United States
8 October 2013

London, one year from today... The dogs of England are dying, of "Mad Dog Disease," and Rabbie Burns, young drifter and certified schizophrenic, is hearing voices again - on Underground trains, over supermarket speakers, and on his own T.V. He has 30 hours, a last weekend, to save the world from itself, before the "Supreme Being" himself loses patience and starts over, with a new species.

And we're supposed to care? The movie is a mess. It's awful in the way can only be achieved in the UK. Not really a drama. I suppose it's a comedy of sorts, but it's not so funny. But it IS boring. There's even a guy with a bad pig snout on the tellie.

There are only a handful of reviews. One says to watch it stoned. I don't think that would help.

And another -- obviously from someone linked to the director -- give it ten stars! It's bloody awful.

Bizarre fun

Author: friendful from United States
11 January 2008

I really really liked this film. I couldn't tell you why (though an early warping by monty python, red dwarf, ghost stories and apocalyptic movies might have had something to do with it) and it's definitely NOT for everyone. I don't think I could predict who will like this film but I have a sneaking suspicion that mundanes need not apply. Ghost stories around the campfire at night at the age of 30? probably. Yuppie? probably not. If you do like this you might check out Dead Gentleman Productions' Demon Hunters. Sillier with a lower budget, but...it's worth a check out. Only one burning question remains for me... What was up with that damn bulldog?

An excellent, mind boggling movie, A must-see for Londoners,

Author: satyam malhotra from United Kingdom
18 May 2006

Right from the start, this movies keeps you on the edge of your seat, controlling both your mind and soul. A fantastic sci-fi movie with a realistic approach, mixed with threads of comedy; a must-see for Londoners.

The unique plot was well laid out and easily to follow for both sci-fi enthusiasts and newcomers.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, it sparked off a realistic spectrum of enthusiastic ideas for the future.

This is definitely one of my favourite sci-fi flicks - don't miss it!

A thought provoking and entertaining movie.

Author: Imran from London, England
10 March 2003

I loved the movie because it entertained me and made me think of the future in equal measure. It conveys a serious message in a light hearted way. The movie is well produced and directed and has the feel of a big budget movie.