IMDb > Lagan (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lagan More at IMDbPro »

great story, great music plus social and political commentary

Author: eoster2020 from United States
23 July 2005

I have never commented on a film on this website before but after seeing the horrible ratings people have given this film I was compelled to set the record straight. This is one of the greatest bollywood films every made. Granted an appreciation of bollywood is an acquired taste this film is one of the most accessible to western audiences. I am an western so i know from where i speak. The story is combination of politics, history, love and sports (cricket to be exact and you will even learn something about how cricket is played)

The music and lyrics are poignant and beautiful. Yes bollywood movies are musicals. The songs in this one deal with British imperialism, love, nature, and life. Most of the dance numbers are staged outside. Some with big flourishes with the entire village dancing. Other times intimate songs and dances that capture the passion of two people in love. The traditional Indian dances are exhilarating and the singing will leave you breathless. Sometimes the songs do repeat themselves so just fast forward them a little. But all in all the musical numbers are captivating and exhilarating.

The plot dealing with British imperialism will teach you a history lesson. Political intrigue and an interracial love are the glue that hold it together. You will see the clash between Indian culture and British rule. This film will give you a look into an exotic land that few of us will ever see. And for this alone you should see this film.

Do not overlook seeing this movie. This is a musical that uses the power of song and dance to tell a timeless story of people overcoming adversity against tyranny and oppression.

about his movie.

Author: bill buckley (webuck@catt.com) from ringgold, Ga.
7 February 2009

Thanks to this site for letting me know the synopsis of this movie which I enjoyed so much. I wish I could se it again. The dance sequences and songs were absolutely wonderful and so lyrical. Being an irishman by heritage I enjoyed seeing the British getting beat at their own game. The love story between the Indian boy and the English lady was so sweet and endearing. I really did enjoy the cricket match, not that I was sorry the British lost but because of the knowledge it imparted to me about a sport that was very foreign to me. The many characters in this movie was well played and very varied in character and lineage. I have tried many places to obtain this movie but no one seems to have it but I will keep on trying till I do get it.