IMDb > Ocean's Twelve (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Twelve

Ocean's Twelve More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 63: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

style in motion

Author: ebolart from islamabad
15 January 2005

The key to understanding Ocean's Twelve and enjoying it is to realize that this film does not try to be a film about a bunch of gangsters pulling off a heist. It is a film about style. When it is explained in the end how they pulled off their heist, we understand that almost everything they did in the last third of the movie had no reason at all. They just did it for the style points and to make their adversary's defeat even more bitter. In my book, that's style. The movie flows freely, never really climaxing, watching beautiful people with beautiful voices, dressed in the height of fashion. It is amusing, not really funny except occasionally, not really suspenseful, but it is permeated by the feeling that everyone involved had a lot of fun - and it practically oozes out of the screen infecting the audience. It seems as if Soderbergh thought that he had done "his heist-movie" in Ocean's Eleven, so now he made the "meta heist-movie". It is a thoroughly enjoyable experience and i left the theater with a feeling of joy in my heart and the wisdom of true style in my bones. Style Uber Alles! Mahalo!

Twelve is different than Eleven.

Author: Patrick Brogan from Glendale, Arizona, U.S.A.
11 December 2004

To be honest, I saw this movie back in August at a special advance screening. I was actually so overwhelmed because I got to meet and talk to Steve Soderbergh before and after the film. In my opinion, Soderbergh is one of the few directors whose films I can trust for quality entertainment, intellect, and style. But to review the movie back then would have been unfair, it's like judging the first demo take of the Beatles song "Strawberry Fields Forever" before George Martin added the tape loops.

So I decided to wait and review the movie after seeing the final cut, and I was actually pleased that I did that, because just like what I've been telling people for four months and will continue to tell people "Twelve is different that Eleven." "Oh, o.k. so it's not good." Is what most reactions are after I make that comment. "No, not true," I replied. OCEANS TWELVE is different that OCEANS ELEVEN, the same way KILL BILL VOL. 1 was different that KILL BILL VOL. 2. VOL. 1 was the ultimate homage to the films of the Shaw Bros., VOL. 2 was the homage to the Spaghetti Westerns. OCEANS ELEVEN captured the hip and cool feel of the Vegas heyday of the 60's, when Frank, Dino, Peter, Sammy, and Pal Joey ruled the strip. OCEANS TWELVE captures the European feel when Truffaut, Godard, and Fellini were kings of the art house cinemas. OCEANS TWELVE takes place three years after the infamous "Belligo heist" when Danny Ocean (Clooney), gathered his crew of men and managed to steal over $160 million dollars from casino Mongol, Terry Benedict (Garcia). Now Benedict has tracked Ocean and his entire crew, and the situation has turned into what Danny's wife Tess (Roberts) alerts Danny about Benedict knowing who did the heist, "the basement is flooded and the lights are out." So Danny gathers his entire crew back together again: Rusty (Pitt), Linus (Damon), Basher (Cheadle), Saul (Reiner), Ruben (Gould), the "Mormon twins" (Affleck & Caan), Yen (Qin), Dell (Eddie Jemison), and Frank (Mac). The first scene when the entire crew are all together manages to create some nice witty in-joke laughs, such as Turk Malloy questioning Ocean, "and since when was this called 'Oceans Eleven?'" The problem is that Benedict knows who pulled off the heist three years ago, he's angry and wants all $160 million dollars back, plus three years worth of interest. The problem, Ocean and his crew can't pull off any job in America since their faces are well known. The solution, go overseas to Europe and pull off another heist to payback Benedict.

Yet there is still two other problems, first, it turns out that Rusty had a relationship with Isabel (Zeta-Jones) and suddenly left her after she was about to find out the person who pulled off a heist was actually Rusty. Now Isabel is one of the top detectives of the Euro-Pol force for the crime division. Second, there is another master thief Toulour (Cassel), who calls himself "the Fox" decides to have some fun of his own with Ocean and his crew. OCEANS TWELVE succeeds the same way OCEANS ELEVEN did, is one of the most enjoyable, witty, and entertaining movies of the year. Yet, like KILL BILL VOL. 2, OCEANS TWELVE is more plot and character orientated. And with OCEANS ELEVEN where the focus of the romance was Danny and Tess; OCEANS TWELVE it focuses on Rusty and Isabel, with some very enjoyable flashback scenes. Soderbergh again has a batting average of Barry Bonds, and hits another home run with this film. His directing is fantastic, capturing the look, mood, and feel of the European heist films such as GRAND SLAM, the original Italian JOB, and TOPKAPI. Such as the pan of the camera to focus on a particular character, the rapid zoom close-up shots, and the freeze shot before cutting to another scene. Yet he blends it well with modern European style with the technology, talk, and fashion of the modern hip world. I mean, I would love to hang out with this crew! I also highly enjoyed the soundtrack music supervised and composed by David Holmes (who also did Soderbergh's OCEANS ELEVEN and OUT OF SIGHT). Holmes did a great job using his very hip-techno mixes and songs and mixing it well with 60's era European artist such as actress/singer Ornella Vanoni, and composer Piero Umiliani. And the performances are fun and enjoyable to watch. It is obvious that all of the cast members had a fun time while making this movie, and it shows. Yet, that doesn't mean that the viewer should be left out, since there are some witty scenes that make a lot of reference to the previous film, the way Linus trying to understand how Danny and Rusty operate, and about the twelfth member of the crew looking like somebody else. While OCEANS TWELVE doesn't have a intelligent or great plot like COLLATERAL, SIDEWAYS, RAY, or THE INCREDIBLES. It does exactly what it promises. It promises fun, enjoyment, and laughs, and that is exactly what you will get when watching OCEANS TWELVE. This isn't the most intellectual film of the year, but it is the best looking, and one of the most entertaining and best films of this year. Hats off to Soderbergh, Holmes, writer Geoge Nolfi, and the entire cast for OCEANS TWELVE, for making a delightful film! ***** (out of five)

Grew on me, then more I watched it!

Author: BLIND_SIGHT8 from Toledo
10 December 2004

Well,

I flew out to Hollywood to see the cast @ the World Premier, it was great. Although the only one truly interested in seeing the fans seemed to be Matt Damon. When he took off running to the fans and they exploded! I thought that was great, not something anyone else did. Brad Pitt gave some waves at best. The movie... needed the old music, a faster pace, and some better story lines. Thank God for the actors, they keep me in my seat. Characters didn't follow their previous attitudes... like Terry Benedict... I hope three is better! Not enough time to see where they were the last 3 1/2 yrs., or what they spent their money on. The more I watched the movie the more I liked it. I just hope they don't stop at Ocean's 13!

As good as the first, but far funnier!

Author: joelduplessis from Kingston, Ontario
18 December 2005

With a cast like this, I knew the acting would be amazing. Still, I was cautious, as I always am of sequels. Would it sustain the feeling of the first film? Could they possibly replicate the tension and thrill of the masterful heist of Ocean's 11? We'll never know, because they didn't try. At least, not in the way I expected. Instead, they made a light and truly funny parody of the heist genre. If you want a gripping, logical heist, don't watch this. If you want a good laugh, with witty dialogue, quirky characters, and an absolutely genius scene where Julia Roberts has to impersonate herself, then you'll love Ocean's 12.

A Colossal Waste of Time

Author: from Stockholm
5 March 2005

Wow, how could it be worse? This was a studio junket so that Brad, Julia, Steven, George and some of their nearests and dearests could live it up at swank hotels in Europe (as if they need freebies). The In-Jokes stunk so much you'll need five books of matches to get rid of the smell! This movie is embarrassing: the plot twists more than Chubby Checker and the music and titles are amateurish. It's like watching a party you're not invited to and when all is said and done you'll be glad you weren't. Don't waste your time-- even if you're just curious-- this should never have been made and the joke's on you for shelling out for it.

almost no story combined with bad acting

Author: kimflorenceasta from Groningen, Netherlands
1 January 2005

Although the movie was filmed for most part in the beautiful city of Amsterdam, I found it hard to stay awake during my watching. There hardly isn't a story to be found in the movie. The story that is there is full of mistakes and because of that didn't make much sense to me. What really annoyed me though was the bad acting. Some famous movie stars, for example Catherina Zeta Jones, just put on an overdone accent, smiled like a princess and read their lines. That is were their acting stopped. I think it is a shame this movie was actually released. To conclude my opinions on a positive note: I liked Julia Roberts in the movie.

Brilliant! Go and see it now!

Author: southsideguy30 from Australia
17 December 2004

I absolutely loved this film. Part of my love was due to the star-studded line-up (hey-hey!) and the fact it followed on so well from the original film which was actually called Ocean's Eleven (meaning this one has a Very Clever Title). All of the stars in the star-studded line-up (hey-hey!) did excellent acting, especially Matt Damon and Catherine Zeta-Jones (plus the Guy With Nice Arm Muscles Whose Name I Forget). The plot was a little bit weak but it was still really really really funny and exciting, full of action, that sort of thing. Also each character had their own distinct personality (like in the first film), they all worked well together and that made it even better. It had a really tense ending, but I enjoyed the ending (no spoilers though, hey-hey!) and I even sat all the way through the credits. The only thing I did not like was the cinematography. It was nothing special - in fact, it was pretty terrible, they need a new person to do that. Well done, Ocean's Twelve! Yay! 10/10

Worst movie I've seen in a while.

Author: caraju
12 December 2004

The only thing going for this movie was the stars. The plot was very weak, the Ocean team is trying to raise 90 million in a week to pay back the Bellagio heist or they will be killed. Another master thief offers to pay them the money if they can steal the 1st Faberge Egg before he does... Most of the movie is there just to give each star equal amount of screen time, mostly to show the love story sub-plots. The movie drags on and on with out anything happening. Only the last third has anything to do with the heist (which how they do it is ridicules). The part where Julia Roberts character plays Julia Roberts is the worst scan in a movie ever. I would liken this movie to other mindless romantic comedies like Sweet Home Alabama... It would be an OK movie to rent, where you don't have to pay much attention to the screen and still not miss anything.

re-watchable

Author: woodlight from Victoria, Canada
16 May 2005

This is a timeless movie that can be watched over and over. I have lost count of the times I've watched Ocean's Twelve on DVD - it is pure, engaging entertainment, a 2000's version of a 60's movie. Audrey and Carey are lurking just around the corner. There is something plain likable about a bunch of desperate thieves who have a conscience, and actors who buy into the dynamic. The dialog is snappy, the situations are believable, if not entirely plausible, but not absurd either. I liked Ocean's Eleven, this one with the European connection is classier, and funnier. The music is upbeat, and attractive, like almost everything else about the production. Actually, I can't think of anything negative about it - maybe a few scenes look fudged, but that is only apparent after looking at it repeatedly. The plot switches are most satisfying. This movie is smart.

Lazy sequel that insults not only the audience, but everyone involved in the movie.

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
16 April 2005

The scene between Danny, Rusty, Linus, and Matsui where Danny and Rusty laugh uncomfortably at Matsui's gibberish joke says it all. Everyone in this movie expected us to enjoy whatever was put in front of us, because this is just a "safe picture", as Matt Damon's boyfriend would say would say. So, what went wrong? There are so many obvious in-jokes, cheap jokes, leaps of logic that even die hard Ocean's Eleven fans should feel cheated. The f**k scene with Basher is a good example of the sledgehammer type of joking this movie expects us to swallow graciously. These stars think that we are so involved with them that all they need to do is show us that they can make fun of themselves. I don't know the name of Julia Roberts' daughter; and I don't care. All those scenes with Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis are painful in their smugness. This movie feels like a bunch of friends got together and decided, on a whim, to make a movie. Steven Soderbergh should get full marks for making Ocean's Eleven work and full blame for this sequel. He should have told everyone to work first and play second.