IMDb > (T)Raumschiff Surprise - Periode 1 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
(T)Raumschiff Surprise - Periode 1
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Misses just as often as it hits

Author: GoD-s-LoNeLy-MaN from Berlin, Germany
6 November 2006

"(T)Raumschiff Surprise" is sometimes funny, sometimes hilarious but it is also embarrassingly stupid at times. It has some new jokes but what I found shocking is that some of the jokes were "borrowed" (from Austin Powers; Loriot,...). So really you have creative ideas and funny and original jokes but in the same scene you have old or plagiarized jokes and gags that are complete misses.

I like Bully and I think he is funny, loved "Der Schuh des Manitu". There was a huge hype around this movie and when I finally saw it I was disappointed as the movie did not deliver. About a year after watching it the first time, I watched it again and I laughed about 5 times and smiled maybe another 10 times. I remember laughing quite a bit the first time I watched it but even back then I found it disappointing.

This movie is not quite as bad as the IMDb-rating (5.4) suggests but way worse than the hype around it makes you believe it is. (Most of the time my ratings for a movie are below the IMDb-average so me rating it the same as the average voter while saying it deserves a higher score is not a contradiction. Hope you can follow.)

** 5.5/10 **

Simply fond of it (ich mag's einfach)!

Author: DerWixxer
27 July 2004

After having read all postings and comments about the movie in this place up to now I simply want to tell that I love it! Surely the movie cannot be to everyone's taste especially not to the taste of those who run into cinema with a checklist about "will it be better than 'Schuh des Manitu'", "how many gay-jokes will be cracked", "does German comedy still exist" and so on. I myself was skeptical, too, whether Periode 1 will reach Schuh des Manitu but I was disappointed positively. Tonight I watched Periode 1 the second time and, like in Schuh des Manitu, I discovered gags I haven't perceived the first time because there are enough of it in there! Why do most of the commentators put emphasis on the gay-factor? Surely that was the original attention of "Unser Traumschiff" in Bullyparade but in the movie there surely is more! You remember "Men In Tights" (Helden in Strumpfhosen) by Mel Brooks, the Robin Hood-spoof? O.k., there was no gay-topic in it but it was very smug! Enjoy the details! The counselor of "William der Letzte", the rented spy, the taxi and so on - there's so much in it you can laugh about! Michael Bully Herbig surely accepts the inheritance of Monthy Pythons and Mel Brooks, in my eyes!

Simply enjoy it like me!

Hilarious nonsense with a spicy gay flavor, just enjoy the ride !!

Author: johannes2000-1 from Netherlands
2 January 2007

I absolutely loved this movie. I didn't know exactly what to expect, probably some very under-the-waist gay-jokes (the fact that I still bought this DVD proofs that I'm not really above THAT). But this turned out to be much better and different! In fact there's hardly any actual sexual connotation (okay, the outer form of the spaceship DID remind me of something familiar and at one point there's some sexual innuendo concerning a gravely mistaken shadow!). But otherwise the gay premise is not exploited in nudity, or in provocative gay variations on tits-and-ass jokes, it's mostly limited to the being gay of the three protagonists, which colors their attitude, their actions and their conversation, in a very tongue-in-cheek way. This gives this parody of Star Wars and Star Trek (and probably Back to the Future) an extra dimension that's very original, to say the least, and to me it worked completely.

There were more surprises: the FX of this non-American movie is absolutely stunning, as was the sound on this DVD, which at times blew me out of my chair! The whole story develops in a very high pace, we get time-traveling, space trekking, medieval jousting, everything in a hilarious way yet enough believable to get yourself involved into the story and with the characters. The actors do a great job and are all very funny, especially of course the two bickering and ad-libbing male leads Michael Herbig (also the director) and Christian Tramitz. And Till Schweiger, although past forty, is still a treat for the eyes, I remember him from "Der Bewegte Mann", another German gay classic some ten years ago that's among my favorites: equally entertaining but with a bit more of a serious message underneath the very comical surface.

I guess that many hard-boiled gay-rightists will find that a movie like this is stereotyping gays, but not I (and being one myself I think I have a right to speak). On the contrary, I actually find it a treat to witness (albeit in a movie) a world in which gay characters (even such "extreme" ones) are considered by everyone around them as just an exotic variation of the human species and in every other aspect as valuable and worthwhile as anyone else. Notice for instance that no-one in the movie makes fun of the gay characters just for being gay or ridicules their all too obvious homosexuality. Alas: up until now such a world still is a fantasy!

All in all, I rank this movie 9 out of 10.

A Nutshell Review: Dreamship Surprise

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
22 October 2005

This movie is so insanely gay! And I mean it in both sense of the word. No wonder this comedy broke the German box office with its madcap, low-brow, at times, crass humour. But it's all in good fun.

If you're looking for a plot, be reminded that a spoof-fest only has an outline of what resembles a story. The story's not award winning material to begin with, and it was never the intention of doing so.

In the future, Earth has colonized Mars, and some aliens aren't happy with it, so war is declared on the Earthlings. Somehow, Earth's last hope lies in the hands of Dreamship Surprise and its crew of merry men, led by the gayish Captain Kork, and equally feminine-like officers Mr Spuck and Schrotty. Needless to say, the crew of Dreamship Surprise is a complete spoof of Star Trek's Starship Enterprise crew, right down to the uniform, the multi-racial crew, and the technology available on board. Serious Trekkies might not take this too kindly though, to see their beloved franchise taken to "new" heights.

To save Earth from the aliens, the team has to travel back in time to prevent the discovery of alien lifeforms in Area 51. But it's made more difficult when Kork and crew are more interested in their rehearsals for an upcoming Miss Waikiki competition (don't ask). Which is crazy I tell you. If you think that the Chicken Little ad now showing in theatres is cute, you haven't seen nothing yet! Spoofing obvious movies like Star Wars - pod-racing, battleships hovering in orbit, the Jedi Council, Coruscant, Queen Amidala, Han Solo, Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, the list goes on, and Star Trek - the main leads, there are also numerous references to movies like Austin Powers (the phallic-shaped starship), Back to the Future (time travel), Minority Report and even A Knight's Tale. Spoofing and combining key characters from Star Wars and Star Trek have been attempted before in Hollywood comedies, but definitely not in the manner that Dreamship Enterprise had.

Stay tuned during the credits, where some blooper scenes are shown, and if you stay until the end of the credits, you'll be rewarded with yet another short hilarious scene.

Definitely recommended for an evening after a hard day's work.

Again annoying and grating

Author: marc242 from germany
28 December 2006

Ah,its Michael Herbig (I refuse to call him "Bully") and his retarded gay jokes again. I must confess, the initial idea of portraying the Trek-Crew as queers from Munich (the accent and frequent use of prosecco) was charming,but after the TV-show ended,it became quickly stale and redundant. The whole story is about evil human martian settlers,who come back to earth as some sorta Star Wars-inspired Empire,and quickly occupy the planet. The High Council decides it has to track down (for some inexplicable reason) the crew of the Surprise, a cock-and-balls shaped spaceship, for a mission back in time to prevent the accelerated technological advance of humanity by a crashed spaceship (with drunken alien included). How that keeps Mars from being colonized,will stay a secret only Michael Herbig has an answer to.

So far,so bad. What follows, is an endless string of afromentioned gay "jokes", that means effeminate behavior by Herbig himself as the "vulcanette" (??) Mr. Spuck and the other two gays..err...guys, Rick Cavanian and Christian Tramitz. Tramitz actually succeeds in doing a accurate parody of William Shatner.IF Shatner was gay,of course. Since I've been following the TV-exploits of these guys for a while, I must say they've become really fat over the years. Try to find some skits on youtube.com and compare them with this. As Germans would say: "Eine stattliche Plauze". (Nice bloated Belly)

Normally I don't care for outer appearances that much,but it was very weird to see them like that. You didn't have to emulate Shatner and the crew that closely,Michael. Maybe its method acting, I dunno. Another thing I noticed,is the fact,that the Bloopers Section of the DVD is much more entertaining than the actual film. Its kinda sad,that the real humor shines through only in these flubbed takes.

Why oh why did they include the atrocious "actor" Till Schweiger? He has no function in the movie besides looking cool and doing his Bruce Willis/Harrison Ford impersonation. Really bad and terrible delivery of dialogue. Did he ever had acting lessons? No progression in all those years since "Manta,Manta". If you need more proof,just watch Renny Harlins "Driven",an atrocity in itself. Seriously, they should have called Van Damme. Much better choice.

I can't recommend the movie,since there are so many logic errors, unfunny lines, bad Trek/Star Wars-Parodies and recycling of the previous "Schuh des Manitou". Yes, Sky Dumont,I'm looking at you. Basically its a disjointed mess of a movie,just like the first. Unfortunately, this has become the most successful German movie of all time. *sigh* Avoid at all costs!

I'm out.

I support Spucky!

Author: AnimationPhoenix from United States
5 January 2006

I am an American, but speak German fluently due to my mother being from Germany. I recently saw the film with family friends while in Germany for Christmas. I can't tell you how hard I was laughing the whole time I watched the film. I think the film was very well put together. The dialog is funny, the little hints here and there about Der Shuh Des Manitu was also very witty.

I can see why Herr Herbig laughs at night in his sleep from all the gags. I have to say though, the best part of the whole film has to be the sound track. I throughly enjoyed the music from the film. Especially the Miss Waikiki song...that just plan cracked me up.

All in all I give this movie a 10 out of 10 for wittiness, music, fantastic special effects, good plot and well thought out story, and for being something different from American films. Yes. It was very Mel Brooksish, though, and very very funny! I'd say it's a must have for all comedy lovers (I bought my copy already!)

Wrong title... Wrong time for these kind of jokes...

Author: (borkoboardo) from Livigno
30 October 2007

To start off, the film's producer Michael Herbig asked Germany to vote on his next film after "Der Schuh des Manitu" and the people chose (T)Raumschiff Surprise to be its topic.

Five minutes after film start you know whether you are going to like it or not. Frankly, I'm slightly getting sick of this "you-must-laugh"-humour that has still not reached its climax in Germany. In his first big feature movie "Der Schuh des Manitu" the cool charm was underlined by a "super-gay"-Indian (sorry, Native American) but in this flick we got an all gay spaceship (which only appears VERY rarely). It's not the fact that they are gay which bothers me, it's rather the fact that as the audience you are left with no choice than either laugh about it or leave the theater. I chose to give it a chance but I was more and more disappointed, particularly after about 20min when everything that the title stands for gets totally lost. The movie appears like it doesn't know where it's going and the more it tries to get further, the more it gets stuck with cheap jokes which have no class at all.

To be honest, I hate writing this because I had such big expectations of this movie that it annoys me how disappointed I was. The special FX shots are really cool, the music is state of the art, make up is nice, story got probably written on the dunny and the actors try their best (they really do)... Unfortunately that just doesn't make a good movie! And there has been another Spaceballs already, for humanity's sake! If you keep that in mind while watching "(T)Raumschiff Surprise" it's only devastating... And i seriously wouldn't be surprised if gay people rampage on this one! What a pity!

More than one surprise.

Author: oneshallstand-1 from United Kingdom
22 January 2007

I picked up a copy of this film based on a friend's recommendation. And whilst what I watched was a Chinese translation, with English subtitles over a German film I still found it funnier than Either of the well-noted American spoofs, Spaceballs or Galaxy Quest.

Set in a Sci-Fi Universe that's visually a lot like Star Wars, but structurally much like Star Trek the plot sees the (Emporer Plapatine-like) Martian Regulator blockading the Earth with aspirations of conquest.

Earth's only hope? The crew of the Dreamship Surprise - most notably it's camp command crew, Captain Kork, Spucky and Schotty. As they travel to Earth to make a journey back in time to save the future they acquire the assistance of Earth's beautiful young queen and a Taxi Driver.

The plot manages to skewer both Star Wars and Star Trek quite effectively, whilst somehow maintaining the looks of both (The sets on the Surprise are very sixties-Trek, most everything else seems Star Wars inspired). The journey in the past takes detours through Medieval Europe (Allowing a few Knight's Tale style moments) and the Wild West before ending up at Area 51 (which is foreshadowed in the opening).

I'd seen a brief clip of the film before watching but was surprised at how consistently amusing it was. Yes, there's a few cheap gags, and more gonad jokes than I'd expect from it's American counterparts but it's still darn funny. Some nifty sight gags lurk in the background and some of the puns are meticulously set up and had me groaning out loud (in the manner of someone who appreciates a bad pun).

If you like or hate sci-fi, there's many a reason to track this down. Some of the 'gay' gags may not be up everyone's street (and may cause a little offence to some - but it's hard to say) but that's par for the course with any parody.

The soundtrack echoes it's inspirations very effectively, and a few times I thought it was actually going to take the plunge and rise dramatically into a John Williams soundtrack. Not only that, but there are actually a handful of brief musical numbers thrown in as well (Most often from the crew of the Surprise).

The performances are pretty over-the-top for the most part, this is not a film that requires much in the way of subtle acting, but again isn't that another shot at it's targets? And before I sign out, Kudos must go to the special effects team, who managed to succeed in making a film that looks worthy of the huge effects budgets on the Star Wars prequels, presumably for a fraction of the price. The film is visually stunning in that regard, The Surprise, The Battleships, The Taxi and even the time-travel sequence (Which takes place on a sofa - surely a nod to Douglas Adams there) all look incredible and the film's one big action scene looks every bit as good as the Pod Race or space battle from the Star Wars prequels.

My opinion, it may not be perfect, but there's no way I'll regret buying it. There were enough laughs to keep me occupied through it's entire run-time even though the pacing could have done with a minor trim.

As a fan of Science Fiction in general I enjoyed it a great deal and would recommend it to most.

disappointing

Author: Carlos_Costas from Dortmund, Germany
27 August 2004

Well, to be honest, after watching the first 15 minutes i thought it was the worst German comedy i ever saw... being a fan of Bully (and his TV show "Bullyparade") for some years now i felt the quality of entertainment and humour in the series, as well as in this movie, have decreased a lot and probably won't become again what made the TV series so special when it started. "Der Schuh des Manitu" was a big success, but (in my opinion) it was already made in a way a grandma with her grandson could watch and wouldn't be disappointed, because the jokes were not that strange or unexpected as when the TV series started. I got big sympathies for bully as a person, he's an intelligent and funny entertainer, but i think he should either decide to do movies for kids or stop the whole thing.

And now (T)Raumschiff Surprise... when watching the TV show the Star Trek parodies fitted well into the context, because of the variety of their other parodies on TV shows or movies, but a whole movie about 3 Star Trek guys that are obviously gay is not the big deal in 2004. Humour has developed, nowadays there are a lot of TV series that got similar jokes and characters (and they're not good).

In the movie, the changes of the scenery/time/places could not get me interested in what would happen next. As i mentioned above, i lost interest after 15 min, when having noticed most of the jokes could not even stand the "quality" of the last episode of "bullyparade".

What made the whole thing even worse is the advertising that came with it. There are not-funny spoken word-ringtones, a campaign for a burger restaurant, a pc game...

For me, "Schuh des Manitu" was some kind of funny when watching it the first time, it did not disappoint me. I expected worse with "(T)Raumschiff", asking myself how they would keep the gay-Star-Trek-thing entertaining for over an hour. They just switch time and places a few times, the number of jokes worth to remember is zero, some are not that bad, but i kept thinking they spent most of the time for the computer rendering stuff and tried to focus on the "story".

So if you're under 14, if you liked "Dude, where's my car", if you've never seen any Star Trek or Star Wars parody before , you could get a bit entertained.

I hope Bully finds a way back to his former qualities, he should not end like Christian Tramitz, who got to host his own very unfunny and lame TV show.

Bully's sketches don't work well as a movie

Author: Acid from Vienna
26 July 2004

Two days ago I've seen this film, and I was disappointed. His first Film was not bad, so I expected this one also to be good, which wasn't the case- Well the Special Effects were not bad (but necessary for this kind of comedy? I doubt it- a 60's SF Setup would have been better). One of the problems of this film was the time-travel plot, where the settings changed too often (it made me feel that Bully tried desperately to tie some of his sketches together instead of making a movie with a good plot). The sketches itself were OK, but, well a movie is more than a sum of sketches, it needs a plot with a climax, it needs tension building up till the end (I'm thinking about - I't a mad mad world or Peter Sellers Film's or the better National Lampoon films), gags building up over more then the lenght of one sketch etc. etc.

Some of the Sketches (especially the one with the thermometer were VERY deplaced and not funny any more), the 100st Darth Vader persilflage (well, I've seen a dozen better ones.) The medevial setup was very OK, but because of the plot it was too short, the same case was with the western setup.

So: Summary: No money lost (had it on my blockbuster card), i would give the film 4 out of 10.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]