IMDb > "Deadwood" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Deadwood" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

They finally got the western right!

Author: killgore86 from Brea, California
23 September 2004

Don't get me wrong, there have been great westerns to come before Deadwood, but none of them really got it right. There is just a reality that some people aren't willing to deal that after 50 years of our history being whitewashed through film and TV, we're finally starting to see the truth. David Milch has done his research and discovered the wonderfully bizarre contradiction of languages used in the old west. Watching the cast of Deadwood converse with a combination of old world English laced with profanity straight from the gutter is incredible and feels right for the first time. Where do people think our language came from? People always want to think that they were the first to do something, when things like profanity, substance abuse and prostitution have been around since before man walked erect.

Along with the incredible dialog and storytelling, David Milch has introduced possibly the greatest character to ever come to TV or film...Al Swearengen. Ian McShane plays Al with the same intense conviction and truth that the character himself lives by. In Al's world things are black and white and never apologizes for a second for living his life by a strict code of morals of his own making. I don't think we've ever seen a character go from crying after a mercy killing to watching a murder he orchestrated stone faced.

This is indeed a special show that is continuing to pave the way for the facts of our history to finally be told with truth...Instead of the whitewashing we've seen our whole lives to make us feel better about ourselves.

Very Good

Author: (lakotawolf71) from United States
14 December 2004

I felt I needed to write after reading the comment made of the show. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but the individual the wrote the comment "Falls Short" does not know anything. I live in Deadwood and with the exception of stuff added by Hollywood to quicken the story it is quite close to our history. None of the characters are fictional, the all lived at one time. I admit the show in vulgar but cleans up as the show continues and the town grows from a miner's camp to a town. Don't let the first few episodes scare you off. The show is very good and quite close to the truth. If you like old west history you will love Deadwood.

Very simply magnificent

Author: AnneOBrienRice from California
15 June 2004

Ian McShane as the evil Al has established himself as one of the greatest actors of the moment and of the time. He's up there with Pacino, DeNiro and Keitel. The magnificent writing and directing of Deadwood support him completely in mesmerizing the audience. This is for my money the finest work being done on television today. The show has a sure moral compass and a daring to take the violence to the level of Shakespeare or the Greek Tragedy while maintaining verisimilitude with brilliant dialogue and perfect art and set direction, as well as a flawless supporting cast each of whom engages us immediately and convincingly no matter how intimate or distant the focus might be. I can't get enough of this show. I want to see it all in reruns, to cherish it later on DVD. Each episode is fresh and surprising and at times astonishing. But Ian McShane steals the show, no question of it. His face is profoundly expressive and his lines are so marvelous that some of them surely must be ad lib. The guy's a scoundrel but my heart's breaking for him. The Season Finale was the single greatest television drama I've ever seen. We have here a villain who isn't morally bankrupt. And thank heaven, we have a show runner and a writer who isn't morally bankrupt either. Bravo!! I've run out of superlatives. Please, more. And more. And more.

Rough, gritty, realistic portrayal of Western history

Author: smokehill retrievers from Chancellorsville VA
28 March 2004

Judging by other comments, the realistic portrayal of the crude language and immorality may be a bit too much for those used to tame, glossy horse operas where the Good are very, very good and the Bad are very, very bad.

As for the language being "over the top," anyone who's spent time in an Army unit or aboard ship in wartime knows this is EXACTLY the kind of language young men under stress use, and probably even worse back in the late eighteenth century when most of them were uneducated, illiterate and had a projected life span of around 30. If they were lucky.

Most people familiar with authentic Western history will recognize this as a very accurate portrayal of Deadwood, or any other frontier boom town, with all its ugliness and warts. Like it or not, it's history. I think they did a superlative job so far (first two episodes).It also looks like it's going to be the most accurate version of Bill Hickock's death -- which was far more than just the simple barroom murder usually portrayed -- ever put on film.

The number of truly spectacular actors here is simply staggering. Ian McShane's riveting performance is no surprise for "Lovejoy" fans; he was long overdue for something equal to his talent. Who else stands out? Damn near everyone. Calamity Jane, Tolliver, Farnum, the Doc ... there aren't enough "supporting actor" awards from any source that could do justice to such a large, stand-out cast. For those of us who despair of the putrid crap in the theaters, peopled by actors who should be doing dinner theater in Dubuque, well... now we have hope. And DEADWOOD truly puts the lie to the propaganda about public broadcasting being necessary to provide "quality programming that commercial television just can't or won't do." In the entire history of public radio and TV they have NEVER reached this level of excellence even once -- yet cable (once referred to disparagingly as 'pay TV') pulls it off on a shoestring budget. Score one for capitalism.

The old west brought back to life

Author: gogoschka-1 from wherever good films play
11 August 2014

If you want to experience the – real – old west first hand, look no further; you'll find it in 'Deadwood'. There has never been a show or a film that came as close to showing what life must have been like in those lawless young towns that got built nearly over night wherever gold was found. A magnet for all kind of fortune seekers (gold diggers, whores, outlaws – but also settlers who were just hoping to build a better life), the town of Deadwood was notorious even by the standards of the time. In the show, this "cesspool of vice" is brought back to life with great attention to historical detail. You'll find no romanticised view of pioneers who lived and died by "the code of honour", but real people whose moral standards are – in most cases – murky at best. And the world they inhabit is a rough, dirty, violent place where only the fiercest – and the most cunning – survive.

As far as the historical characters depicted in the show are concerned, the writers naturally had to take some liberties (after all, nobody knows exactly who said or did what at the time), but the depiction of the era and the historical background are very accurate. Yet this is not a history lesson; it's an immensely entertaining western-show blessed with some of the best writers and actors working in television and film today – and especially the cast of 'Deadwood' really can't get enough praise: there is not a single performance here that isn't excellent. Of course, the one who steals the show is Ian McShane. His Al Swearengen is one of the most morally complex and fun-to-watch characters I've ever seen (and he misses absolutely no opportunity to show you just what the first five letters in "SWEAR-engen" stand for). The power-struggles in Deadwood he is involved in – and since he wants to maintain his position at the top of the food-chain he's involved in all of them – are equalled in complexity and entertainment value only by those in top-notch shows like 'Game of Thrones', 'House of Cards' or 'Breaking Bad'. And the lengths Al is willing to go to achieve his goals secure him a place in the top ten of "all-time great bad-asses".

So my verdict: While certainly not for the easily offended or those who prefer a "sanitized version" of the old west, 'Deadwood' offers a fascinating look at a time we mostly know from myths and legends and gives us a chance to revisit those and see them from a different angle. Great, intelligent and informative entertainment. 9 stars out of 10.

Favorite films:

Lesser-known Masterpieces:

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies:

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed:

One of the best TV dramas I've ever seen

Author: ( from UK
2 November 2004

This is a stunning achievement. Performance, writing, direction, casting, design, everything about it is of the highest quality. It seems so obvious and in your face at first with little in the way of compelling traditional story (ie each episode has a 'plot') but every layer has another layer beneath and they all build into an amazing portrait of this moment in time. (real or fictional it makes no difference to me) For all the apparent lawlessness and depravity on display it is about love and responsibility being forged against the most brutal of times. Ian McShane is a stunning revelation and Timothy Olyphant is superb as the calm fury at the centre of the storm. Cannot praise it highly enough. Better than Sopranos - and that's saying something.

Polished yet in the rough

Author: cablemonkey from Virginia, USA
23 July 2004

Though i never considered myself a western fan, i realize i've seen a good many, from the Anthony Mann masterpieces, to Leone's revolutionary films, to more recent flicks like Unforgiven. But none has moved me like Deadwood. While the series did have some ups and downs (like life itself), it is truly enchanting. The season finale alone is one of the most moving things i've seen on TV, and having rewatched it many times (the joy of tivo) i still find myself driven to tears. The dialog is fantastic, bordering on Shakespearean at times as others have pointed out. Its a shame that so many seem to be bothered by the language, perhaps i am just overly jaded. Remember though that profanity at that time was predominantly based on religion (or rather defiance of such). These days of course, hellfire and tarnation don't have quite the same effect. If the dialog were more "period", i imagine it would be like watching yosemite sam cast as swearengen (heaven forbid). In their translations of Kurasawa movies, Critereon has faced the same issues, and i agree with their and David Milch's choice. Stay true to the meaning and feeling, more than the literal. Especially with profanity, this is key. Profanity's entire purpose is to offend, and if it becomes through age or paradigm shift inoffensive, it loses all meaning and effectiveness. It helps bring us into the world of deadwood, and better understand and relate to the characters who live there. Which, IMHO, is a wondrous thing to experience.

TV doesn't get any better than this

Author: nick-1896 from New Zealand
1 July 2007

Absolutely superb. I don't think I've ever given anything a 10/10 before, but for a TV show, Deadwood is excellent - and given the crap we're generally subjected to on the box, absolutely outstanding. The sets, the research, the directing, the characters, the acting - all shine. And without wanting to sound gushy, the script is close to Shakespearian in its prosaic yet pragmatic tone. The juxtaposition of the grit and dirt and blood of the real 'Wild West' with formal Victorian language is genius. Even the opening credits are beautiful. It may not be everyone's cup of tea (the language and content can be a little 'strong' although entirely appropriate and in context) but anyone who's a fan of quality entertainment, shouldn't go past it.

Richardson - actor and future?

Author: sparks67 from United States
1 August 2006

Who is the actor who plays Richardson (Farnum's dimwitted cook)? It seems that Mr. Milch is going to the trouble of showing us that to some extent Richardson plays the fool (note him reading the newspaper with Bullock's letter). Reading was not all that common at that time in a gold rush town especially among dimwits. Perhaps Mr. M. is foreshadowing some future surprise role for him? Also, any comments on Al. S. having more than just friendly feelings for his actor friend? Seems that they are at least hinting that there may be more than meets the eye. Another item - what ailment does Doc have? Tuberculosis or something else?

Oscar quality cable...

Author: grubstaker58 from United States
3 July 2006

If any two or three of Deadwood's best episodes were strung together and released as a feature film without any prior knowledge that it was cable produced, that piece of work would most assuredly garner numerous Academy award nominations-no doubt about it.

I find Deadwood indeed, mesmerizing and astounding. I am part of it's DVD viewing audience and I must say that season one's first episode was somewhat distracting because of the almost laughable use of profanity.Yeah, I was wondering "Do they get paid by how many times F**k is uttered?" The ensuing episodes mapped out the incredibly mesmerizing(there's that word again) dynamics of the series and I sat up and took keen interest.Why they had to swear so much was of no interest to me at that point. Deadwood borrows from some great westerns "McCabe and Mrs. Miller " immediately came to mind, for it's rough-hewed frontier community look and feel and the wheeling dealing power plays. Oddly enough, a John Wayne movie "True Grit", for it's wonderful colloquialisms and fanciful turns of phrases.The script of that film is a treasure of old West language. The cast of Deadwood is sublime. Ian McShane's nefarious whorehouse saloon owner Al Swear(?)engen, is a human maelstrom, involving every facet of the human condition-Good, Bad or Indifferent. Shakespearian to be sure. McShane is fantastic.Timothy Olyphant is a revelation in his role as Sheriff Bullock the Knight errant with a hair trigger violent streak. His tension filled(sexual and otherwise) interplay with equally outstanding Molly Parker as rich widow Alma Garret, is my primary reason for viewing.It's called Chemistry and it's awesome. Kudos to Brad Dourif as the easily flustered by his own sense of incompetence, but earnest town Doc. William Sanderson entertains as the slimy , pathetic hotel owner,E.B.Farnum-forever wanting to be invited to the "Game" with the "Big Boys" ,but is reduced to a laughably sorry "cheerleader" as Al tells him to "Get the f*%k outa here". Powers Boothe -Slick, Murky, blackness in human form as gambling house owner, Cy Tolliver.Paula Malcomson plays Al's personal whore and main tentacle to the outside world as Trixie. Jim Beaver as "Ellsworth" , probably integrity personified as the Mrs. Garret's mine manager. Robin Weigert's "Calamity Jane"-a lost soul who commiserates with Dayton Callie's express man-"Charlie Utter", both were very close to Keith Carridine's wonderfully realized doomed Wild Bill Hickock.John Hawkes and Jeffry Jones shine as Sol Starr, Jewish shop owner and Jones as the town's truth seeking Newspaper man. Deadwood :sex,murders,plagues,greed,cursing, irony, intrigue,.and much much more. 10/10.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]