Waiting... (2005) Poster

(I) (2005)

238 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Disturbing, disgusting, offensive, and better than I expected
jbanet19 March 2006
When I first saw previews for this movie, I expected a soulless comedy about restaurant staff messing with customers. Although some people may feel that way even after seeing it, I was pleasantly surprised. From the introduction of 'the game' near the beginning of the movie, I knew this was going to be more interesting and even more disturbing than the previews.

Despite what appears to be rather thin characterization, 'Waiting' succeeds at being a good character-driven movie. I am not sure why this is. Perhaps what seem to be just childish antics add depth to the characters without us realizing it. Some people complain that 'the game' is a 10 second gag stretched out for the entire film, and on the surface, this is true. However, the game is really more of a mechanism for developing characters than anything on its own. The result is a set of very flawed, but surprisingly likable characters. Also, the ending, though a little abrupt, is entertaining largely because the movie does a good job of setting up the characters and situation.

This movie is not for everyone. If you do not like 'stupid' humor, then you will probably not be able to overlook that to enjoy the more subtle aspects. However, once you get past that, this movie is more than the sum of its parts.
56 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Austin Movie Show review
leilapostgrad12 October 2005
I hated (HATED!) being a waitress, but this movie is so hilarious and so ballsy that it almost makes me want to go back to the summer of 1999 to work one more shift at TGI Fridays. Waiting is the best, most accurate, most honest, and most riotously funny movie ever made about the service industry. Here's how I see it – the world is divided into two groups of people: those who have waited tables and those who haven't. Those who have never worked a day of their lives in a restaurant may find this movie amusing, but they'll think it's too absurd to be real, and they'll probably never give a second thought to this movie ever again.

But those of you who have felt the pain, degradation, and humiliation of waiting tables will p**s your pants laughing at how PERFECT this movie is. First-time writer/director Rob McKittrick has created a dead-on depiction of 24 hours in the restaurant biz. The movie opens at a late-night party with lots of underage drinking, smoking, and sex. Then we see the wait staff hung-over at work the next day. The restaurant they all work at is called "Shenanigans," but it looks an awful lot like the TGI Fridays I worked at.

All the characters in Waiting are based on the real people who work in every restaurant. There's the hot/slutty/underage hostess, the fat and ugly cook who somehow dates a really hot waitress, the stoner/punk bust boy, and the manager with the chip on his shoulder. All the customers in this film (the cheap red necks who don't know how to tip, the b****y women, the drunk and horny men) are all customers I've waited on. And no filmmaker has ever so accurately portrayed the complex and irreconcilable tension between the wait staff and kitchen staff.

But at the end of the night, no matter what drama unfolds, no matter what dishes brake, and no matter how much money you make in tips (or don't make), everyone gets wasted and parties together, and you all know you're in it together. Waiting simply tells a story about a profession that most people never give a second thought to. But it tells that story flawlessly. Can't wait for the DVD.
195 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Therapy for Restaurant Employees...
tiramisuc15 October 2005
This movie was everything I thought it would be and more. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cringe. Most of all, it'll make you think twice about eating at another restaurant or even working at one. Each character is throughly enjoyable as is each interaction between them. It's extremely well-written and realistic. As a waitress, I found it completely therapeutic, because even though I'd never do anything to a customer's food, seeing someone else do it to someone who is deserving of it (even in a movie), is enough to make me feel better. Ryan Reynolds is hysterical in this movie, as is Dane Cook and Luis Guzman. There are so many one-liners that you'll hear for a long time, especially in the kitchen of any restaurant. It ends slightly abruptly and you find yourself wanting more...but I guess that means the writer has done something right. Go see it, and enjoy. Just remember never to break the cardinal rule: "Never, ever, f*ck with someone who handles your food."
113 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
hilarious
sackjigler5 October 2005
for anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant, this is it. for those who ever wanted to know what its like, watch this movie. granted, this is not the best movie ever made, but, you have to appreciate movies like this. first and foremost, everyone in the cast worked so well together that it actually seemed like they have worked in that place together for a long time. plus, the movie tries to be nothing but amusing, very few subplots and it doesn't dwell on them. its short, to the point, and i know i missed a ton of lines from laughing so hard. if you just want to be entertained for an hour and a half, i say check it out, its worth it.
149 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I've worked in Restaurants myself...
godesstinkrbelle8 January 2006
I've worked in Restaurants myself, so I know all the things that go on in a normal day. This movie was really accurate... I laughed my ass off. The only thing that wasn't really accurate was the "game" they all played, but that is what made it even funnier! I can't believe they actually made a movie showing all the things that servers, cooks, dishwashers, hostess', and managers all do in a day's time. I actually went to see this movie twice in theaters and can't wait for the day that it comes out on DVD so I can own it. My best friends have a bet that I will call off of work in order to go buy this movie. I believe if you never worked in a restaurant before that you wouldn't get the full effect of this movie.
106 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What this movie lacked in a budget, it more than makes up for in laughs.
Movieguy_blogs_com2 November 2005
In 'Waiting' Ryan Reynolds plays Monty, the seemingly head waiter at a Shenanigan's restaurant. Monty hates his job, like most, but he is like a god at Shenanigan's and gets away with almost anything. His bud and roommate Dean (Justin Long) is just a little more dissatisfied, but starts to see things in perspective once he is offered an assistant manager position.

This movie really is not that deep. In point of fact, it is hilarious. I loved this film, but I cannot recommend it to everyone. It is full of very crude humor (just the kind I like). If you combined 'Clerks' with 'Van Wilder' you would have 'Waiting'. Ryan Reynolds plays a very similar character to 'Van Wilder', only much more vulgar. Both Luis Guzmán (Raddimus) and Chi McBride (Bishop) are terrific in their respected roles.

I did notice that the cinematography in this seemed poor, making it look like a cheap film. But who cares? What this movie lacked in a budget, it more than makes up for in laughs. Unless you are easily offended, go see this movie.
68 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
THE movie for all restaurant employees
Jeff18 October 2005
FINALLY! A movie about young adults working at a restaurant. I am 21 and I've only worked in restaurants. Since I was 15, I've been a busser, dishwasher, host, or a cook. And I have to say that this movie is 100%, dead-on accurate. Not only was it flawlessly written and the actors were natural and likable, but it also shows the people the other side. People don't realize all the B.S. servers and cooks have to go through every single day. So, the next time you chew out a server because your steak is medium instead of medium-rare, just remember one thing...We control your food, we can do whatever we want to it. So, chill out and remember it's only food and it's not the end of the world.

Funny, well-acted. Loved Dane Cook, Andy Milonakis, and Ryan Reynolds of course; Justin Long, Anna Faris, Alanna Ubach(HILARIOUS!), and John Daley who I haven't seen since Freaks and Geeks when he was a little guy. This movie is full of priceless one-liners and your typical coming-of-age moral without telling you it's a moral. 10/10!
83 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
painfully funny
nobbytatoes12 December 2005
The people at Shenanigan's restaurant are an old mix of characters, never making their jobs boring by the amount of shenanigans of their own. Mitch is just starting and is taking the tour with Monty. Monty is the friendly yet crazy work mate, making every moment at fun one. Dean has hit a rut and questions why he still works at Shenanigan's, and cant commit with a fellow employee Amy. Dean was also asked if he wanted the assistant manager spot; to much of the content of others. Serena and Monty were dating, but they have a friendship on fake smiles and sarcasms.

The odd mix of characters of waiting make this such a wonderful. It's just not focused upon the three main characters; Monty, Dean and Serena, the background characters have their own personalities and dilemmas, adding so much more story. The development of the characters aren't fully developed, but you can still understand and sympathies to their problems. The characters are clichéd; you have seen a lot of them before; but they are so well placed and interact perfectly; there is a realism to them.

The major point of Waiting is the black humor that runs through it. It doesn't work off big set pieces and outlandish situations to make you laugh, the humor organically comes out of the characters from their dialog. A lot of the dialog is perverse, but it never seems out of place. Waiting does perfectly reflect the relationship between customer and waiter; well i did. Rob McKittrick unashamedly shows this interaction; the smart-ass customer who always complains, the regulars, and what could go behind the walls when the customers push to hard.

Ryan Reynolds brings another eccentric performance forward. He had been stuck with that eccentric ego in a lot of movies; but he does it perfectly and does another great job again. Anna Faris had finally lost that ditsy persona and shows a broader range of acting; bringing a great performance. Justin Long does have a puppy dog face a lot of the time, but really comes forward in the more serious moments. All the other actors as the employees all do wonderful performances, making the background character more interesting.

Waiting is a great black comedy on hospitality that is so painfully funny.
54 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Looked Away…
wes-connors28 November 2009
Jerk off waiters, waitresses, and other restaurant staff spew sophomoric humor for people who've never seen foul-mouthed comedies (or get off on them). The running joke, herein, is something called "The Penis Game" - you trick co-workers into looking at your exposed genitals. Then, if they look at your worm, you shout "fag!" and playfully kick their ass. Note, the "Unrated and Raw" DVD shows squat.

Stuff like spitting on food is about what you'd expect. The caricatures will be recognizable to anyone who has worked in a "Shenaniganz". The philosopher-dishwasher (Chi McBride as "Bishop") and tightly-wound waitress (Alanna Ubach as "Naomi") are made to order. Justin Long (as Dean) does all right with the best-written role. But, this type of comedy can hardly ever keep it up. And, it doesn't.

** Waiting... (5/12/05) Rob McKittrick ~ Ryan Reynolds, Anna Faris, Justin Long, Rob Benedict
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Accurate, Funny, and Good
Clownbaby1241 March 2006
I remember that when this movie came out in theatres, people didn't really know what to expect. And of coarse the movie bombed in the theatres. Well when I bought this movie, I watched it and realized that it is accurate, very funny and over really good. I have worked in a restaurant myself and I know all the sick things that some chefs would actually do. This movie just goes in depth on a day-in-the-life, of normal people working in a small restaurant. It shows when the day begins, all the way to the end of the shift. Another thing about this movie that made it so funny was a game that the men of the restaurant played. This game involves making somebody "unwillingly" look at their package down below. Well as you can see, the movie is hilarious and I definitely recommend it.
50 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this