IMDb > Main Hoon Na (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Main Hoon Na

Main Hoon Na More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Farah Khan is a genius!!!

Author: anant_mathur
8 May 2005

Farah Khan is a genius!!! That's the only way to describe the incredible job she has done with her debut film. One expects this kind of a film from a pro who's been at it for a great many years. But from the first frame to the last, she has held it together better than most pros can. Main Hoon Na is a great example of what a great director can accomplish. Farah Khan deserve many awards and accolades for this film. Nothing seems out of place, everything is perfect. The Chemistry between Shahrukh Khan and Sushmita Sen is electric, it's a wonder that no one ever thought of pairing these two earlier. But I'm sure now we'll see a lot of them together.

The Dialogues (Abbas Tyrewala of Munna Bhai MBBS fame) are excellent throughout the film. If Munna Bhai was the funniest film of last year, then MHN will give any comedy a run for its money this year. The Cinematography and Choreography is eye-catching and beautiful. The songs are perfectly placed through out the film.

The Performance: Shahrukh Khan has given one of his best performance so far (and that too with a bad back). He's the undisputed King Khan. If there is anyone who stands out more than SRK its Amrita Rao and Sushmita Sen. These girls are just incredible, Amrita Rao will take your breath away. She's by far the best newcomer in recent years and sure to be a Superstar. Sushmita Sen has never been so good, her performance as well as her look is quite extraordinary and fresh. Zayed Khan has played his character to the T, he will be well like by all.

Boman Irani and Bindu are excellent in their performances. Bindu's performance is up to par with her performance in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun. Boman Irani shows how talented he really is, in an unforgettable role. Satish Shah will shower you with great comedic moments. He's excellent. Kiron Kher does full justice to her performance. Suniel Shetty as you have never seen before and Naseeruddin Shah in a memorable role.

Overall, MHN is an extremely well made film with excellent performance. I have bought the 2 Disc special edition of the film and its loaded with bonus feature. A must have for all film lovers. Up and coming directors can learn a thing or two from Miss Farah Khan.

Pass the popcorn, please!

Author: Debbie (dmul53) from USA
30 August 2004

Major Ram Prasad Sharma (Shah Rukh Khan) is a straight-laced military man walking in the footsteps of his father, General Shekar Sharma (Naseerudin Shah). When the General is killed by terrorists, he reveals on his deathbed that Major Ram has a half-brother, and gives him a dual mission: to protect a fragile peace initiative with Pakistan, called Project Milap, and to find his estranged brother and heal his fractured family.

Major Ram is assigned to protect the daughter of General Bakshi, the commander in charge of Project Milap, which takes him undercover to St. Paul's College in Darjeeling. By an amazing coincidence that only a true Bollywood fan could swallow, the Major's younger brother Lakshman Prasad (Lucky) Sharma studies at the same college.

After having his career emasculated by Karan Johar, I am happy to see that first time director Farah Khan has made a man of SRK again. How ironic that it took a woman director to give Khan a role he could finally get down and dirty with, after playing the teary-eyed lover-boy for so long.

Main Hoon Naa is a great summer time masala entertainer. It has dollops of action, romance, family angst, and a little medicinal dose of patriotic preaching about peace (estranged brothers Ram and Lakshman neatly symbolize India and Pakistan, separated by the folly of their leaders and elders).

But its greatest strength is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. The action could best be described as The Matrix meets Jackie Chan, with special effects that are one minute thrilling and the next minute laughable. But it's such fun to see SRK back in action, after his much publicized neck troubles, and encouraging to see Hindi filmmakers experimenting with cutting edge special effects technology.

The comedy revolves around the obviously over-aged Major Ram as a returning college student. Shah Rukh plays it just right, and not only neatly parodies his college role in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, but also does a fantastic job of remaining in character and keeping his ram-rod straight military bearing whether he's doing comedy, drama or action.

Newcomer Zayed Khan (Lucky) has a way to go with his acting craft, but I found that he grew on me as the movie progressed, and he just sort of meshed with the elder Khan. They have a nice chemistry together. Amrita Rao (the general's daughter) is talented and gorgeous, and a great dancer. See her in Masti, where she also sparkles. Suniel Shetty does an excellent job underplaying the villain, and resists the urge to go overboard in his scenes. I loved the way Farah emphasizes his sexy badness by blaring heavy metal music whenever he makes an entrance. It made me chuckle every time.

Unfortunately the classy and sexy Sushmita Sen has little to do, but she and Shah Rukh fairly set the screen on fire in their few scenes together. Her seductive chemistry teacher is the perfect foil for his shy, sexually naive character. I'd love to see them in another film together, where she gets full screen time. She has a strength and maturity about her that plays very well off of his vulnerability and boyishness.

First time director Farah Khan takes the skills and creative genius she has displayed in her choreography (the Chaiyya Chaiyya dance atop a moving train in Dil Se alone has earned her a place in Bollywood legend) and demonstrates an exuberant love for the films of her youth. Main Hoon Naa either parodies or pays tribute to dozens of other Bollywood films, from Sholay to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. The running gag where Major Ram bursts into uncontrollable singing whenever he sees Ms. Chandni, the chemistry teacher, is hilarious and endearing. And the outrageous chase scene with Ram on a rickshaw in hot pursuit of a jeep is just great. As a relative new-comer to Bollywood myself, I know that a lot of the references were lost on me, but I got a lot of them, too.

If you prefer Karan Johar three hanky tear-jerkers, this isn't for you. But if you want some thrills and comedy and family drama with your romance, then see Main Hoon Naa! Even the closing credits are fun. And Farah's director's commentary in the DVD special features is one of the best I've ever heard.

First Time Seeing an Indian Film

Author: wendy from Calif.
8 May 2004

The story was a fantasy, not plausible in any way - yet this movie was fun. This was the first time I'd seen an Indian film, at the urging of someone who has already seen it twice (she is a big Shah Rukh Khan fan). It's quite different in every way from the American films I've always seen, but very entertaining and had almost every type of movie one can imagine all rolled into one film: action, drama, romance, musical and comedy. Some of the acting was a bit "hammed up", but was still right for the material. The woman who played Lucky's mom was quite good. I liked the Matrix references and how it was done in an obvious way, more of a fun "hats off"(let's look like what they did in Matrix) instead of merely copying. Even though I speak English and no Hindi, I easily followed along with the story and had no problem with the subtitles. This was a long movie (3 hours), yet time flew. The end of the movie was touching with the exchange (don't want to spoil it) and loads of "real people" cast in the parts. At the very end the credits were fun, too, with the cast and crew holding up different signs with their names - if these people didn't have a great time doing this film, they fooled me! I'd say this film is good for most all ages. Even though there are loads of pretty girls, nothing seems too suggestive and seemed more in fun. I left feeling good and as if I had honestly been entertained. Good work!

Great Farah Khan Debut!

Author: Sasha from Miami, FL
5 July 2004

Farah Khan, who brought us the best dances moves ever, has taken up making pictures! Great move on her part I must say! As a dancer I always looked up to her for amazing steps (Dil Se, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, recently Bombay Dreams, to name a few!) and when I heard she was producing a film, I was a bit "iffy"...

Main Hoon Na, is "Grease" meets "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" meets "James Bond" (I think I read that somewhere online, and thought, that is so true)!

The music is amazing! The title song, "Main Hoon Naa" is superbly sweet and really reflects the "I'm here now" that the film conveys... "Chale Jaise Hawain" is a true campus song, and reminds me greatly of "It's Time to Disco" from "Kal Ho Naa Ho" (another Shah Rukh Khan-er)... "Gori Gori Gori" is very 1920s meets present day, with flapper-esq dance moves and scat-sound, reminds you of those zoot suit-ers... "Tumhe Jo Maine Dekha" is suppose to be the major love song in the film for Shah Rukh and Sushmita, it's very catchy and if you don't like it the first time, don't be surprised if it sticks in your head and eventually grows on you... "Tumse Milke Dil Ka Jo Haal" is the other love song of the film and features all four characters, it's the song that most of the promos for Main Hoon Na feature, it's another cute catchy one that'll have you humming without knowing it... and lastly, there is "Yeh Fizaein" which is the last song of the film, and is during the credits (which are done very unique!!!), the song is catchy and the video is totally "Grease" meets "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai".

Amrita Rao is excellent in the film. If there were any doubts about her before, this should seal the deal, that she is a up and coming Preity Zinta.

Zayed Khan (Suzanne Khan-Roshans's brother and Hrithik Roshan's brother-in-law) proves only further that he can surely act, although I think his dancing needs a bit of work. But he's definitely by far better off than his cousin Fardeen (who paired with the other Amrita (Arora) in "Kitne Door Kitne Paas"). Zayed is keeping the lineage alive! Check out "Chura Liya Hai Tumne".

Sushmita Sen was incredible, I was very surprised because usually she has a awful habit of letting Aish cast a shadow over her and chooses very poor and corny roles. The last time I can honestly say I've seen Sush this good was in "Fiza" for her guest role, and before that "Biwi no.1". Way to go Sush!

Shah Rukh Khan is as amazing as always. Totally a slap in the face for Filmfare for giving his Best Actor to Hrithik for "Koi Mil Gaya" rather than his "Kal Ho Naa Ho". In this film, he just keeps on proving further that he's a extremely versatile, trendy and class one actor!

Great movie! I bought the double disc DVD! Fantastic Job Farah Khan!

Entertainment At Its BEST!!!

Author: krish278 (krishnashorewala@hotmail.com) from Mumbai, India
9 May 2004

After the not-so-impressing promos and posters, one doesn't expect much when walking into the theatre to see Main Hoon Na. But Farah Khan makes a sensational debut in direction with the movie. Main Hoon Na is a 3-hour rollercoaster ride. It has everything in the right place. It has Action, Comedy, Romance and all the other ingrediants in perfect proportions.

The story is Indian. But the packaging is western. The movie is not recommend for those who think while watching movies. It has a touch of those movies of the 70s where content took a backseat and entertainment was all that mattered. The presentation of the movie is one of its key asseets.

Another asset is the music. Anu Malik's score is easy on the ears. What compliments the songs is their picturisation and placement. The title track and 'Chale Jaise Hawayein' are the picks of the lot. The tributes to R.D. Burman are clear and effective. Production is grand. Sabu Cyril does a fantastic job with the sets. Allan Amin's action is top notch. Specially the scenes in the beginning and the climax have been executed with panache. Though some of the effects are a little hackeneyed, they are better than most Hindi movies. Abbas Tyrewala's dialogues are sure to earn him another nomination next year. With this he proves that Munnabhai was not a lucky chance.

Now to the performances! Shah Rukh gives yet another fine performance. Like wine, he gets finer with age. Also, this movie should shut those mouths which said that he could not do action sequences. His stunts in this film will surely multiply the number of his fans. Another great performance is that of Sushmita Sen's. In fact, people here are calling her 'Discovery of the Year!' Never has an actress looked so ravishing in a sari. Zayed Khan also gives a decent performance. Amrita Rao is another rising sun. Her performance is sure to be noticed. In the smaller roles, Kirron Kher, Kabir Bedi and Nasseruddin Shah impress.

In one word, Main Hoon Na can be called a 'must-see'. 10/10

This is one kickin' flick!

Author: johnshay from Pittsburgh, PA
14 May 2004

Great flick that was a blast from start to finish! When the "Red Chillies Entertainment" logo came up at the start, I had no idea this film was going to be such a celluloid party! Farah Khan delivers one mega punch after another. The song "Chale Jaise Hawaien" is priceless -- reminiscent of K2H2 -- but her choice to shoot the song in two long-take sequence shots was phenomenal --> exhibiting some of the best human and camera choreography since Welles's classic opening to Touch of Evil. All the songs shine in the film, but the qawaali "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" -- coming right after the interval -- is an absolute showstopper; the choreography, set design, and costuming come as close to Hindi cinema perfection as any mere mortal can get! Shah Rukh kicks as an action hero, and ALL the actors play their characters with conviction and just the right amount of tongue-in-cheek! And the comic punch of this film is brilliant --> when Satish Shah first appears on the screen (no spoiler here), I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face (appropriate, I guess....). There are also some absolutely amazing digital effects shots, particularly during some of the Shah Rukh-Sunil Shetty fight scenes (I don't think anyone has ever had so much fun lampooning The Matrix [thanks, Farah!]). Finally, Anu Malik delivers what I think must be his absolutely finest pop-Indian soundtrack. The songs are totally addictive and immensely hummable. I am looking forward to snatching up the DVD when it's released so I can hear the songs in a proper surround-sound mix.

Overall, this is an incredibly entertaining mix of all that is wonderful in contemporary Hindi films -- great story (inspired by the Ramayana), terrific choreography and acting, rib-splitting comedy, just the right amount of pathos, stunning cinematography, catchy songs, and dynamite directing. Both thumbs up!

Wholesome Bollywood entertainment

Author: Peter Young from Earth
5 September 2009

Main Hoon Na is a completely crazy and an extremely entertaining flick. Done with much comedy and funny action (and a little bit of insignificant drama), this one is a film that can be watched again and again and still be an absolute treat. The film has a story, and the greatest thing about it is that it actually does not even matter. This film is made for fun, and succeeds thoroughly for that purpose.

And what does it have to work as much as it did? Well, it has a Shahrukh Khan (sorry, The Shahrukh Khan), two cool youngsters (Zayed Khan and Amrita Rao), a sexy and classy chemistry teacher (Sushmita Sen), a hilarious spit-spraying teacher (Satish Shah), another funny elderly teacher (Bindu), and a motherly, warm Kirron Kher.

Shahrukh is as always great and is fairly restrained in this role, Sushmita is damn too hot to handle, Zayed and Amrita suit their parts, Kirron is lovable as usual, Satish Shah and Bindu will have you floored, and Sunil Shetty will annoy you as he does in most of his films.

The film has an amazing soundtrack with many catchy songs composed by Anu Malik. It has a twisted, messy and senseless story that manages to provide utmost fun and pastime, and it has many great and heart-warming moments. It flows very well throughout with all the nice songs and the rather humorous proceedings.

Films are made mainly to entertain us. This film does not take itself too seriously and it is not to be taken seriously. It has some inexplicable and genuine sense of fun, and as such, can be rightfully called a successful, special and very profound Hindi entertainment.

View From A Casual Audience

Author: glutenpuffs from United States
1 May 2006

I am not into Bollywood movies that much, but I really enjoyed watching Main Hoon Na ( I asked my friend, and she said it means "I'll be there for you"). As you would expect from Bollywood movies, there is a mishmash of genres in this movie: romance, drama, comedy, action, political thriller, and the odd musical number now and then. Imagine True Lies meets Grease meets Toy Soldiers meets Never Been Kissed meets Matrix. I know it has been parodied so many times, but that slow-mo back ward flip when Shar Rukh Khan tried to evade the Spitty teacher's bullets ala Matrix really cracks me up! I also liked the characterisation of the female characters in this movie. They really stand their ground against the male leads.They are not clingy and naive as I find some Bollywood movies portrays women... And no wonder... it was directed by a woman. I also enjoyed the soundtrack. Like the movie, it aims to sound contemporary while paying tribute to the traditional styles. With tongue firmly in cheek

Smart, funny and best of all - Entertaining!

Author: G Singh from United States
14 March 2012

Amar Akbar Anthony, Naseeb, Sholay etc. Why do we love all these films? Yes, they are extremely entertaining but more so because they have action, romance, comedy, drama - EVERYTHING! In today's time, we don't get films with all that together. Farah Khan's Main Hoon Na doesn't ask you, but tells you to chill, have some popcorn and cola and have the time of your life for the next 3 hours.

Major Ram Prasad Sharma is a tough army officer who plays no games and is very serious about his work. He and his father have a dream, project Milap - to set free all Pakistani prisoners of war to put forward a hand of harmony and friendship towards Pakistan. Due to circumstances, Ram's father Shekhar is killed but before dying, he tells him that he's not his only son and he wants him to re-unite with his family. Ram asks for a temporary leave to fulfill his father's wishes, alongside that, he is asked by General Bakshi to protect his daughter who goes to the same college as Ram's brother. He wants him to protect him from Indian terrorist Raghvan.

So then starts Major Ramm's mission. To find his long lost mother and half brother, to protect Sanjana from Raghvan and to complete Project Milap which is opposed by Raghvan.

The best part of Main Hoon Na is the story, It's refreshing and unique. The viewer knows that Ram will win in the end but the going-ons in the movie are extremely entertaining. Farah Khan, Abbas Tyrewala and group have come up with an excellent plot.

Main Hoon Na has everything in the right place in terms of plot. Thee's action at the right time, songs do not stop the plot, the comedy is perfect.

The film does dip a bit in the second half but that's hardly noticeable. In fact, this is one of the few Indian movies that does not slip completely in the second half. Indian filmmakers usually put so much energy in the first half that the second half starts to fade. Not this time.

As mentioned before, the writing is nearly flawless. Screenplay keeps you awake and dialogues are first rate. Production values, sets, locales etc. All perfect.

The music is out of this world. Anu Malik's best work. All the songs are brilliant and beautifully picturised.

Farah Khan's direction is top stuff. Hard to believe this was her first film and her best. Sorry to say, I liked Om Shanti Om and hated Tees Maar Khan but I do not think Farah will make a better film than this.

Main Hoon Na would be incomplete without Shah Rukh Khan. SRK puts the right energy into the role and is perfect in every frame. The scenes with Kirron Khere, the scenes with Sunil Shetty are all terrific. Even the light scenes are excellent. A superior act!

Another actor that stands out is Sunil Shetty. He's first rate as the baddie. Zayed Khan can't act better than this, seriously. Sushmita Sen, Amrita Rao don't do as much but are efficient. Kirron Kher is terrific. Satish Shah and Boman Irani are hilarious. Kabir Bedi is good. Naseer makes a significant appearance.

On the whole, Main Hoon Na is fun, crazy, and most of all - it isn't the type of film that asks you to lave your brain at home, bring it with you. Recommended!

Hot stuff! Lucky in love.

Author: I V from Australia
22 February 2005

Major Ram promises his father to find his long lost brother, Lakshman. He's asked to go undercover as a high school student (they call him Uncle, he's so much older than then) to protect the General's daughter from evil bad wig wearing terrorists. Ram discovers that Lakshman also attends this school, as this is what convinces him to go. From then on, I can't tell you any more; that would give away the joy and excitement that this film surprises you with.

You will fall in love with Shah Rukh Khan once you see this movie! Has all the elements that make a great Bollywood film. Great songs and dance sequences that made you want to boogie in your seat. Laugh out loud funny without sacrificing the good solid story about family and love. A must see.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]