IMDb > LOC: Kargil (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
LOC: Kargil

LOC: Kargil More at IMDbPro »

Good potential but horrible execution

Author: padiyark
15 February 2004

LOC could have been a very well made movie on how the Kargil war was fought; it had the locations, the budget, and the skill to have been India's "Saving Private Ryan" or "Black Hawk Down". Instead it come across as a bloated, 4 hour bore of trying to meld the war move with the masala movie. Even the war scenes were terribly executed, using the same hill in all their battle scenes, and spending unnecessary time on casual talk. Instead of trying to appeal to the indian public, a better movie would have been a to-the-book account of what happened at Kargil (like "Black Hawk Down") or even spending time on the militant point of view (like "Tora, Tora, Tora"). Even better, it could have used a competent director like Ram Gopal Verma to write, direct and edit the film. Until then, I'd like to see some one re-edit this film, with only the pertinent portions included; it would make the movie more watchable.

Warning: You may fall asleep during some of the long drawn songs

Author: Vikas SS from Mumbai, India
12 May 2005

Storyline: The film spanning 4-odd hours covers in adequate details the happenings at the Kargil sector near the LOC in 1999 when the Pakistani infiltrators had crossed the LOC and had entered deep into the Indian territory and the Indian Retaliation. To know more about the story, I would suggest readers to read the news-items pertaining to Kargil.

Comment: If one is looking for a formula story in this movie, then one can be sure that it is absent. LOC is a story of Pure sacrifice, patriotism, courage and lots and lots of bullets and Blood. The movie hall where I saw this film was full of whistles and cheers when the Film shows Indian Bravery. Movie audience seemed similar to Audiences like in an India vs Pak cricket match.

Watch the movie as a tribute to the Army's sacrifice and for the characterization of the real-life war heroes (4 PVC honoured heroes) who have sacrificed their lives so that we could see this day. The movie has made a brilliant portrayal of the Army who have battled all odds in rough weather conditions. The film's negatives are that it is too stretched and the songs are extremely boring.

True Story, Bad Direction

Author: krazyjovix from USA
29 December 2003

If you have seen very less films, this might be a big one for you. If you have seen lot of films, this is a joke. The acting of real heroes is portrayed very badly. Not to mention, there are songs, there are lot of flashbacks, and most importantly, the fighting scenes are stupidily performed. New characters, good direction, would have done a better job, but since it contains all the bollywood heros/heroines, you can predict whats going to happen next. You do not feel sad when something happens, the emotions they protray is terrible, mainly because we have seen this actor in 1000 other hindi movies. It suppose to be a realistic movie, but it fails to show. There are times you wondering, you have thousands of army vehical filled with soldiers moving and the pakistanis are bombing at them and none of their bomb hits them. Are the pakis really bad at aiming or the director made them look stupid? There were only a few characters acting that was very good, but as far it is concerned with plot, action, it is poorly directed. This movie could have been short if they took out songs, flashbacks, stick to the point.

Long and boring

Author: starship_plc
13 July 2006

The long hyped LOC Kargil movie turned out to be a load of crap, once again, much to the disappointment of eager viewers. When it comes to movies like these, the director should concentrate most on the battle scenes but those are the most flawed portions of the film. Basically ever single battle is the same where two groups of soldiers keep shooting each other until the Indians finally bring a Carl Gustav Rocket launcher and blow up the enemy position. The fight sequences are corny and poorly done. One wonders why they did'nt do that in the first place? Next, the Indian airforce is hardly ever seen. Next, there are long and pointless and crappy songs. Next, there is no story nor any subplots nor any satisfaction of seeing any objectives achieved by the soldiers. Watch it on TV or DVD but I would'nt waste my time in the theatre. Watch it for the witty dialog and some amusing scenes. If you want to watch an Indian war movie, go watch Lakshya instead.

A wonderful movie...a tribute to our brave soldiers.

Author: geetha_mateo from India
31 January 2005

LOC is one of the most moving movies ever made. The movie is based on the war that actually happened in Kargil between India and Pakistan. LOC is a tribute, a homage to our brave and selfless soldiers who have laid down their lives to safeguard ours. This movie has made me realize the extent of sacrifice a soldier makes to protect us scores of civilians most of whom he does not even know. It has made me see them in a completely different light and i cannot help but appreciate the effort of a film maker who has tried to immortalize their sacrifice on the celluloid.

The movie is long. But that is because the script demands it. The movie has an amazing cast and everyone has given outstanding performances. It is an emotional journey and a saga of unseen bravery and unimaginable strength of character.

The film's characters represent the Kargil martyrs and the other brave soldiers of the Indian Army. So you have Captain Anuj Nayyar, Captain Vikram Batra, Lieutenant Manoj Pandey, Lieutenant Colonel Y K Joshi and many of the other brave men who authored the script that made India the winner in the Kargil war. It captures their valor in the field of battle, shows how they dealt with each new challenge and each new hardship with renewed vigor, how they motivated the soldiers under their command under the most pressured conditions and how they destroyed their enemies. It encapsulates the soldier's quest for victory in extremely hostile conditions.

LOC Kargil is based on authentic research and gives you the events as they took place. A lot of care has been taken to see that the film is accurate even in its minutest detail. The background score and dialogs are gripping. The songs too, are pretty intense and have been extremely well written and composed. The lyrics motivate you, move you and also wrench your heart out.

LOC tries to tell the story of the soldiers and their families. It tells you about the sacrifice that a soldier makes for his country and the loss that his family suffers in the process. As the trailers said..."every bullet in a war finds its mark... into a woman's heart". A lot of soldiers died in the Kargil war and this movie makes an effort to show their sacrifice before we forget it. It is a must watch, especially for every Indian in the world.

A Superb Tribute for India's Armed Forces

Author: hindu_jawan from United Kingdom
7 August 2005

L.O.C (Line of Control) documents the story of the Indian Armed Forces incredible efforts during the 1999 Kargil War between India and Pakistan. In the back drop of peace talks between the two nations, intruders were found crossing the de facto border that divides the two nations. India was completely oblivious to the infiltration as it did not conceive that Pakistan would undertake such actions during attempts to create peace between the two nations. Pakistan denied any involvement claiming the intruders were 'freedom fighters'. However the Indian Army soon came to realise that this was a lie and that the 'freedom fighters' were actually Pakistani Army troops that were deeply entrenched high up in the mountains seeking to invade India as part of its Jihad (Holy War). The Indian Army were told to evict the invaders; after 2 months of fighting, 500 losses, and against all odds the Indian Army emerged victorious.

J.P Dutta has done a sterling job in this film. He has been meticulous and paid attention to the smallest of details from the uniform of the various regiments down to their particular slogans, and for this reason this makes it the BEST war film produced by Bollywood. The fight scenes are very realistic and the film is truly based on what happened in those 2 months of fighting.

The film particularly focuses on Manoj Pandey (Ajay Devgan), Sanjay Kumar (Suni Shetty), Vikram Batra (Abishek Bachan) and Yogender Singh Yadav (Ashutosh Rana) as these soldiers were awarded the Param Vir Chakra (the highest military award in India) for displaying great courage and bravery. Three of these were awarded post humously.

I had read a lot about the actual conflict, but watching this film made me realise truly the trials and tribulations our troops go through. I usually laugh at those who cry during movies, but I found myself doing just that, especially towards the end of the movie when the scenes depict the deceased soldiers being flown home in body bags.

This is an incredibly beautiful film with great actors/actresses, songs, stories, and most of all deserves credit for telling the story of the brave young men who gave their today for our tomorrow.

A patriotic attempt at a tribute but simply too flawed.

Author: rizact from United States
5 August 2006

This movie could have been so much better but the director looks like he gave it his best. Many of the props including the uniforms, badges, weapons, artillery, helicopters etc etc were all authentic to the core. There are lot of good things in this movie but the battle scenes are just too cheesy, unreal and overly patriotic to make sense. Why do they always have to use that slow-motion death sequence routine again and again? It is not touching. Its embarrassing.

While the actors could er.."act" well...they were'nt too convincing as fighting soldiers, starting from how the stormed an enemy post, to their stance. The intensity of the battles comes out through excellent use of sound and men shouting but the tracer bullets flying and the flamebursts from the weapons are simply not to be found. Thus when a soldier is supposed to fire a weapon, it does'nt really show. Also, the explosions from mortar, grenades and shells seem extremely impotent as the radius of the blast is extremely small and unconvincing.

The dialog however, is brilliant. Totally outstanding, perhaps worth the entire movie. There are enough swears in this movie on the lines of "motherfer" and "sisterfer" to give Pulp Fiction a run for its money. But since they are also used on the battlefield under pressure, it does not seem as wanton as in other movies. It is a real fact however, that such swears were used on the Kargil battlefield. Talk about attention to detail! The pressure on the soldiers did show, although the fighting did not. The actors did a great job at what they were told to do. If they were trained better and the action sequences better written and choreographed to make them a tiny bit realistic, they movie could have been a real winner. I did shed a few tears here and there though. Even though the action sequences are so flawed, the actors give it all their energy and the unbelievable sacrifices that the soldiers made were no doubt the driving force behind. This movie is worth watching if you keep an open mind. It is at least a good attempt at an honest tribute, even if at times, it can be embarrassing.

Hourly Repetition makes this a long movie...*SPOILERS*

Author: myrdincelt from Connecticut, USA
30 December 2003

Okay, I was bored and decided to see this movie. But I think the main thing that brought this movie down was that there would be a hour of footage, then basically that same hour repeated 4 times. It consists of 1. Gathering the troops and discussing the attack plan, 2. Flashbacks to the men's wives 3. The approach of the troops marching in a long line 4. Men running up hill and shooting, usually the first getting shot in the head then 3 other men rescuing him. 5. Defeat of the enemy and calling to base to tell of success 6. Men flashing back to wives and singing 10 minute songs. That was the basic movie, and that same order of events happened about 4 or 5 times. and every time it did a flashback to the wives, it would show the man, then his wife and him. There were about 10 men or more who would have a flashback so this took up tons of time. Other than that, the men couldn't kill their enemy except with either bayonets or grenades. I liked the music and there was a lot of action, though the action was repetitive. Overall, I probably wouldn't see it again, but it wasn't too horrible.

A Tribute To Those Who Never Returned

Author: Pratik Jasani from United Kingdom
23 November 2006

In 1999, I first heard about the conflict in the Kargil area of Jammu and Kashmir in the news. I was very intrigued and watched the news every evening as much as I could but at the same time I was sad when I saw the massive troop movement on the National Highway 1A on the TV screens. Then one evening, my nephew asked why I was feeling sad and I replied that I was sad because of so many brave men were being killed in action. At the same time, not knowing what was "Line of Control," where it was and why, I decided to try and find out about it. After a few months, I read an article that mentioned that J.P. Dutta was making a movie on this.

In 2003, after a long time and a lot of work such as research and the availability of dates from various actors, the movie was finally released.

In 1999, Pakistani backed Mujahideen, infiltrate the "Line of Control" in not just one area but several in the Indian Administered region of Kashmir. At first the Indian army fails to realise what has happened until some of its patrol troops fail to return. Its only when they are found dead, and with the help of some of the survivors, that the senior officers realise that the infiltration is not only in just one sector of the "LoC" but in several such as Dras and Batalik. The troops that are there are not enough. All members of the armed forces are requested to report to their respective camp headquarters; from which they are ordered to move towards the region and push back "the unknown enemy." At the same time equipment is ordered to be moved but this takes a bit longer.

The cast includes: Saif Ali Khan as "Captain Anuj Nayyar," Ajay Devgan as "Manoj Pandey," Sanjay Dutt as "Colonel Y.K. "Joe" Joshi," Abhishek Bachchan as "Captain Vikram Batra," Sunil Shetty as "Rifleman Sanjay Kumar," Akshay Khanna, Rani Mukerjee, Esha Deol and Kareena Kapoor. There's also a small role for the Amar Uphadya, who, incidentally, first played the role of "Mihir Virani" in the successful TV series, "Kyunke Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi." The film, though long in terms of time, is not boring for those who like to watch "war" movie and had J.P. Dutta included the Air Force side of the conflict as well as some other incidents, then this movie would have been much longer. But in coming to conclusion, the movie does provide with some breath taking scenery, action as well as special effects. All the actors have played their roles very well and the music score by Anu Malik is worthwhile and the lyrics by Javed Akhtar are superbly written and especially "Mein Kahi Bhi Rahu" and "Simaya Pukar Rahe." As I walked out of the cinema, I heard someone comment: "It didn't make any difference! I don't know where Line of Control is" and to that I felt like replying: "Look it up and you will see that its in Kashmir and think of all those brave men who were killed in action. Just think that they never returned to their families or to their loved ones."

India wants Pakistan to stay away from Kashmir, and you should stay away from this movie also.

Author: badaboom-2 from New York, NY
28 December 2003

I saw this movie with some Indian friends on Christmas Day. The quick summary of this movie is MUST AVOID. JP Dutta wrote, directed, produced and edited this movie and did none of these jobs well.

The movie tells the story of the attempt by Pakistan in 1999 to capture part of the disputed region of Kashmir from India. Supposedly based on fact, you get a hint from this movie of the difficulty the Indian army had in recapturing the area from the Pakistani troops - who occupied the high ground. But instead of telling what must have been a compelling and heroic story, all this movie does is make the Indian military look laughable and stupid, which I know is not true.

I watched this movie with an almost completely Indian audience, who were very patriotic and clearly wanted to like this movie, but also found themselves laughing at scenes that weren't meant to be funny.

The script was absolutely abysmal. It gave the impression that Mr Dutta knows nothing about how an army operates and was using bad war movies for reference. The result is a script that is brainless and repetitive.

The acting from most of the principals was not stellar, but considering the script they were given, I find it hard to criticise them too much. As for the supporting cast, all I can say is that I hope they were amateurs.

The editing was also pretty bad. It was pretty hard to follow what was going on for a lot of the time, and music would abruptly end at scene changes.

Good things: The cinematography was pretty good, although it was hurt a little by the fact that the movie didn't appear to be colour corrected (the colour balance often varied significantly within scenes). Also, the few songs that were in the movie were quite enjoyable - for the first half a dozen or so verses at least. Unfortunately they went on a LOT longer than they should have.

And the worst crime of all? This mess is FOUR HOURS LONG. There is enough here that a good editor could almost squeeze a good 1.5 - 2 hour movie out of what was shot. Sadly, a good editor was not working on this movie.