IMDb > Jiminy Glick in Lalawood (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jiminy Glick in Lalawood More at IMDbPro »

Break out the bong...

Author: bigfatbooty from United States
3 April 2006

...and get ready to laugh you Glick off! This movie is an instant comedy classic! "Jiminy Glick Goes to La-La Wood" is one of those underrated nuggets that deserves cult status. 'KEIFER! KEIFER! KEIFER! KEIFER!" I had never been a Martin Short fan ("Clifford" anyone?) but I always found Jiminy Glick painfully funny. Fire one up and get ready to roll off the couch in convulsive laughter as Martin Short brings his greatest character of all time to the big screen. Jan Hooks has some of the best lines in the movie (The "purse" line will bring tears to your eyes), and naming his kids "Matthew" and "Modine" is simply genius. Don't rent this movie, BUY IT - and file it between "Dumb and Dumber" and "The Man With Two Brains". This movie is funny! Be sure to watch the deleted scenes as well - the interviews with Steve Martin and Kurt Russell are hysterical, and the scenes in the car with Jan Hooks are gut-busting. Ad this one to your collection today!

Hilarious! Smart! Filthy! Loved it!

Author: ktrost from Indianapolis, Indiana
23 September 2004

I had the chance to see this film at the 2004 Toronto Film Festival . Due to it's predicted success it was showcased as the closing night gala. How fun was it when Martin Short introduced the film and some if it's cast members! I was a huge fan of the show "Primetime Glick" on comedy central, and have been waiting very un-patiently for this film to come out. I love the way the actors being interviewed by "Jiminy" lose their cool and laugh on camera b/c Martin Short is just that ridiculous. The cast is great, can't believe they can pull off that smart humor in a whim! Check out the dreamy DiCarlo played by Corey Pearson and the brilliant Euro-trash-manager-guy played by John Michael Higgins. You HAVE to see this when it comes to a theater near you!

Funny, Smart, Witty, are all words which can be used to describe Martin Short's latest film "Jiminy Glick in La La Wood"

Author: MovieManMenzel from United States
8 May 2005

I was just browsing through IMDb.com one day and I noticed that Martin Short had a new movie coming out called "Jiminy Glick in La La Wood." When I first looked at the title, I was like it can't be but it was true, a movie based on the hilarious show called "Primetime Glick" on Comedy Central. I looked at the release date and it said a few weeks a way. I was waiting to see the trailer or the poster but guess what neither happened until the beginning of this week when both the trailer and the poster hit the web. Sadly, the marketing on this movie is so poor that I doubt more than 20 people heard about it. But since I was a fan of the show, I drove up to Los Angeles tonight so I could see "Jiminy Glick in La La Wood"

The fat film critic is back in his first(and probably his last) feature film. In the film, Jiminy Glick (Martin Short) gets invited to go to the Toronto Film Festival. Jiminy starts off at the festival as the interviewer no one wants to talk to but when he gets an exclusive with Ben DiCarlo (Corey Pearson), Glick becomes the biggest star at the festival. But between his 15 minutes of fame,Jiminy gets wrapped up in a murder case at the festival. Lots of laughs and homages to old movies ensue…

I really loved this film! When it first started off I laughed and then about 5 minutes later I wasn't laughing anymore but then about 5 minutes later I was laughing throughout the rest of the film. Martin Short is a comedic genius. His roles are so unique and bizarre that I don't think many can begin to understand Short's humor. I get his humor and love it. The movie is everything "Primetime Glick" was and more. The whole Martin Short making fun of David Lynch was an instant classic for me. "I'm David Lynch and I like dark roads that lead to nothing." Funny stuff! And the great thing about this film vs. the last comedy central film I saw "Strangers with Candy" this film dared to make itself more extreme. There was a lot of adult humor and cursing. Something I felt "Strangers with Candy" needed more of. They really expanded the character in this movie and the cameo interviews by Kevin Kline, Steve Martin, Rob Lowe and Kurt Russell are worth the price of admission alone. Not to mention seeing the other cameos but I won't ruin them all for you. I will let you see for yourself.

Martin Short did so much work on this film, he wrote it, produced it, and starred in it as two characters. It was such fun to see this character alive on the big screen, I just wish that more people knew about the movie or the show for that matter because I would like to see it make some decent money but from the looks of it, it will have an extremely limited theater run and then become one of those 1-2 copiers at the video store which you see one day and pick up and rent. Not for me, I will be buying this thing when it comes up. I actually wish I had money otherwise I would see it again when I got a chance, it was that funny and I really think its one of those films that when you watch it again you can pick up on new jokes you may have missed the first time around.

The film was obviously low budget and shot pretty much in Canada to keep the costs down. The film did a great job for what it was suppose to do. I have never heard of director Vadim Jean before but he has done a few other low budget films. I don't know if this is an up and coming director but his resume is online and he has another project filming so maybe will see more of Vadim soon.

In conclusion, "Jiminy Glick in La La Wood" is a great unique comedy. Martin Short's character Jiminy Glick is a laugh riot. You either like the character or hate him they are no in-between with this one. If you liked the series "Primetime Glick" like I did then see this movie because you will really enjoy it. If you haven't seen the show I think you should give it a try at the theater at a matinée just to see if you like it. And finally if you're a fan of Martin Short then definitely go see the film! If I get a chance to catch this one again while it's in its short run in the theaters I will definitely try to catch it again.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "Jiminy Glick in La La Wood" is a 8 out of 10. Go to the theater and enjoy yourself!

dreaming about David lynch's dreams

Author: slip199 from United States
6 October 2005

Martin Short combining his original, quirky, humor using a David Lynch backdrop really hit the spot for me, as I am a huge fan of both personalities. I was pleasantly surprised by the seamless transition from T.V. Glick to Cinema Glick, and witnessing Glick's family come to life. I think I'll have to watch the film again to fully appreciate the lines and subtleties of the "Euro-trash" character. His improvisation was totally random but somehow made comedic sense in its absurdities. I would speculate that if a person hasn't already seen 'Primetime Glick' and laughed at Glick in his original form, one might not "get" the humor, and understand why Short would conceive such a seemingly absurd plot.

Oh, and I love that Christine Willes appeared in the first sequence - where did she come from??!!

SCTV is on the air!

Author: Tecun_Uman from United States
9 March 2007

This is not a mainstream comedy, it's a Canadian thing, ehh. A lot of in-jokes and offbeat humor. If you are not familiar with the Jiminy Glick character, you will not get a lot of the humor. Watching it was like watching the old SCTV skits/movies that Short did back in the day in Toronto. I will admit, I laughed 10X harder the 2nd time I saw it, because you do pick up more stuff and lines. This plot for this movie was a favorite vehicle on SCTV back in the 1980s, mixing different movies together to make one confused and painfully funny movie. Sometimes, the plot would get so contrived that even the characters were confused, but that is the point. The David Lynch impersonation is timeless, coupled with The Shining references, Matthew and Modine, etc. and so many other story-lines. This comedy style is not for everybody, nor is Martin Short, but I love him and I LOVED THIS MOVIE! Better each time you see it.

La La Land will never be the same

Author: capricorn9 from Toronto, Canada
5 August 2006

Thought I love Jiminy on TV I thought that a full movie of him might turn out like some of the SNL sketches that went on too long in a movie,but happily I was mistaken! This is funny. One must watch it more than once to catch all the lines! Jiminy shines when interviewing people, but the one liners that fly back and forth between him and his wife Dixie are also priceless. The two actors play well off each other.This may not be for everyone's taste,but I dare anyone to watch this and not chuckle or even smile. John Michael Higgins makes another great comedic part all his own and Elizabeth Perkins has some great moments of comedy, so rarely scene.

Watch the stars!

Author: Chato Diaz from Quebec
1 April 2005

You certainly have to be a huge fan of Martin Short's ridiculous character Glick -if not a Hollywood-philic moviegoer instead- to really appreciate this hangin' around-at-the-Toronto Film Festival, full-of-cameos, Hollywood-inner-joke comedy.

And of course forget the plot, cause it doesn't matter at all when you dig this kind of film. In fact, because of its chaotic structure, "Jiminy Glick on La La Wood" doesn't make it as a cool movie.

But it's loaded with self-deprecating glimpses, movie industry sarcasms and art-house parody (specially the David Lynch one), which makes it fairly enjoyable by film junkies.

6.5 out of 10 if with a couple of beers.

I like it. But it's just not funny.

Author: LarryBrownHouston from Houston
29 January 2010

I like Martin Short. I like everything about him. I think he's a great singer and entertainer, he's smart, he's lovable, and he's apparently very funny because he's always cracking up the cast and behind camera crew. He and his style appeal to me, and I just like him.

But this movie just isn't funny. And Glick isn't funny. Short tries to carry Glick with the same funny speech patterns that carried Ed Grimley...(in low voice) "I'm as doomed as doomed could be, ya' know." Grimley and Glick use similar speech patterns. But that's not enough to carry this character or this movie.

Short says in the DVD commentary that they improvised most scenes with no or very little script, though his commentary partner calls him on that and disagrees with him and insists there was a script. Now that's funny. But anyway, as the Beatles learned when filming "Magical Mystery Tour," hoping that people will be naturally funny and interesting doesn't work. You have to put some hard work and long hours into a polished script to get anything worth shooting. This movie (if there really was no script) again affirms that truth.

This movie features a lot of vulgar material and I think that was a big mistake. The larger plot and story and comedy style would have appealed to young people and families and Short sacrificed that entire viewing audience for the coarse material and it really doesn't add anything. I guess Short felt an R rating was what was needed at this point in his career.

Very little in this movie works. The boyfriend/manager character was the only one that was funny, yes he was over the top but at least he was actually somewhat funny. Glick is best when Hollywood celebrity Short shows through the character while giving a good natured ribbing to Hollywood giants like Steve Martin, Tom Hanks, and Kurt Russel (Hanks does not appear in this movie but Glick has interviewed him elsewhere to great results). The interviews that Glick does with Martin and Russel, and especially the deleted outtake footage of those interviews are the only thing that works in this movie.

The production and story were much bigger than what I expected. The plot explanation at the end is pretty good, creative, outlandish, unexpected, and funny. There's a part that was scripted. The movie has good production values, but what it needed was a script that actually contained some jokes.

Something a little obscure...funny, funny, funny!!

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
31 May 2006

I haven't seen to much of Primetime Jiminy Glick but I do know Martin Short is comedic genius. His unique, and bizarre performances are nothing short of brilliant. Jiminy Glick happens to be one of his most popular mostly because of his ability to actually put huge stars on the hot seat with his outrageous over the top performance as Glick. Bringing Glick to the big screen might have been an over-estimate of the popularity. It compares to bringing a Saturday Night Live skit to the big screen which they've done numerous times of course. Still Martin Short who writes this feature did an incredible job of coming up with an actual storyline while still keeping the character of Jiminy Glick exactly what he has always been. I admit I was also pleased to see that the film takes place in Toronto, and a good Canadian film is always fun.

Martin Short as Jiminy Glick is not even the right phrase. Jiminy Glick IS Jiminy Glick!! Glick is his own character, that is how much Martin Short makes these characters his own. Glick is ridiculous, a complete loser who doesn't know it, he has no tact, he's over weight, grotesque and still somehow lovable. Glick is horribly naive and hilarious!! Jan Hooks returns to the big screen for her role as Dixie Glick. Probably the only woman in the world that could possibly handle Jiminy. She's equally as naive and plays to Short's performance wonderfully. She is excellent. Elizabeth Perkins plays huge movie star Miranda Coolidge whom Glick gets wrapped up in and is under the impression he may have murdered her. Perkins is very good playing the diva, and is very convincing as a star. John Michael Higgins has a stand out performance as the obnoxious womanizing foreigner Andre Devine. He get some of the funniest lines and scenes and his lines are so shocking and absurd you can't help but laugh. In true Glick fashion one of the most fun parts of this film are the numerous cameos...Kurt Russell, Whoopi Goldberg, Rob Lowe, Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Kline, Steve Martin, Susan Sarandon, Forest Whitaker AND MORE!! Seeing them all playing themselves and having Glick interact with them is exactly what makes Glick so watchable on his show let alone the film.

Jiminy Glick doesn't really belong in a full length feature. It would be comparable to making a big screen adaptation of the Montel Williams show or something?? BUT saying that Short is the only one who could have come up with a decent script, keep things very well flowing, and the jokes fresh and funny. The film really does rely on Jiminy Glick and he is hilarious!! This is absolutely watchable for something obscure and different and still with lots of laughs. Glick is the weirdest character on screen. 7/10

Keifer! Keifer! Keifer! Keifer!

Author: vicdavis00 from United States
13 October 2005

This is the movie I'd hoped they would make. It's a movie for fans of Glick and no one else. If you hate the TV show, you will hate this movie. I loved the TV show and this movie far exceeded my expectations.

Plot? None really. There is a murder mystery but it's really just the set up for a great David Lynch as Poirot "Let me explain who the murderer is in flashbacks" ending. Did I mention that Martin Short is the greatest impressionist working today. His David Lynch is astoundingly funny. "STABBED! STABBED! STABBED! STABBED!"

Next on the list of genius is Jan Hooks as Jiminy's muse "Dixie". She might have been funnier than Jiminy in the movie. The "purse" joke is a lowbrow highlight.

Vadim Jean deserves a lot of credit for directing this masterpiece. I assume the budget was pretty low but it doesn't come off that way on screen. Odd, yet not distracting, camera angles.

Again, if you loved the TV show, you will love the movie. If you hate everything related to Martin Short (I know there is a lot of you) then avoid this movie at all costs.

My only complaint: I would have killed Joey Stompanato myself to have Jiminy and Dixie record a commentary for the DVD. Maybe the Special Edition!!!!!!