Khakee (2004) Poster

Very satisfying
Simon Booth13 March 2004
Followed up the over-rated EK HASINA THI with KHAKEE, and found it much more to my tastes. The script was pretty cliched and the melodrama and machismo were turned up way too high (actually *everything* was turned up way too high!), but I found it involving and compelling.

The production values in the film are extremely high, and it seems that Indian action scenes have really got a lot better over the past few years - still more Hollywood than Hong Kong, and there was too much random camera movement at times, but they were still very exciting to watch.

Amitabh is still king, but the film was really owned by Ajay Devgan - he's finally managed to shake off the ZAKHM character in my head (since it was the first role I saw him in, seeing him as anything else always felt wrong to me, but his performance in KHAKEE is now the one he'll have trouble escaping I suspect).

Recommended :)
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Undeniably amazing!
ozzyrocks8626 January 2004
Whoa!!!! This is one hell of a movie. When I walked into the theater, I was expecting a good movie as this movie was directed by Rajkumar Santoshi and boasted of stars Amitabh Bachchan, Ajay Devgan, Akshay Kumar and Aishwarya Rai. I came out of the theater spellbounded as I had just witnessed a rare masterpiece of its genre. It's heartening to see movies like these come out in Bollywood, even with the over-abundance of love stories. This movie keeps you in the edge of the seat for the full length, and doesn't let up one bit. Bachchan is outstanding and proves why he is the greatest Bollywood actor ever. Devgan again mesmerizes in a negative role after Deewangee. Akshay impresses with his comic flair and his solid action sequences. Ash more than holds her own in a male-dominated movie, while Tusshar Kapoor makes his presence felt. The supporting cast are good as well. I just hope that movies like these come out with regularity in Bollywood. Incredible. A+
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
good action movie
asaf_hussain12327 August 2006
Khakee is a good action movie..It is about Dr. Iqbal Ansari who has been accused of being a terrorist, but he is not a terrorist..some of the police are involved with some terrorist gangs who have put weapons in ansari's house, and Ansari who is innocent has been accused of being a terrorist..

Amitabh performs well throughout the movie..Akshay performs brilliantly as well..he is good in some comedy scenes..Ajay performs really well in a negative role..these type of roles suit ajay perfectly..tusshar acts well..aishwarya is just okay..she doesn't perform that well..

Overall, khakee is a must watch as it contains mostly everything: action, comedy, romance, musical...
Re: Simply powerful
Shashi Krishna26 February 2005
"Khakhee" according to me is one of Rajkumar Santoshi's best works. It was a refreshing change to see Amit as a retiring, tired old police officer who has not achieved much in his life. This challenge of taking the terrorist to the destination becomes his only chance to prove himself to his struggling life. With a strong performance by Akshay,Ajay and Tusshar this makes a great movie for a lazy afternoon. Aishwarya Rai was strictly OK although she enacted a rather interestingly designed role. Not giving away anything here for those who have not seen it yet. Melodious soundtrack included, Khakhee is every Bollywood fan's treat. One of the best scenes has to be the one in the night where everyone has taken shelter during their journey and Akshay confronts Amit, and there onwards the alleged terrorist breaks down for the first time. Amazingly shot. And of course, who can forget the classic climax where Tusshar comes to his own form. One of the few movies I have seen with such a beautiful ending. Giving it a good 9 out of 10 for being so simple yet powerful.
indian cinema is changing
roopamkhare30 January 2004
Bollywood seems to be changing. Directors like ramgopal varma , rajkumar santoshi are coming with new scripts and trying to present in new style that has never been tried. Thats what santoshii has done succesfully in khakee. movie starts from anant shrivastav(amitabh), an unsuccessful DCP whos is assigned job to transfer a terrorist ( atul kulkarni). this is a lifetime chance for him to prove himself. With him in this mission are young, honest tushar kapoor , intelligent but corrupt akshay kumar and aishwarya. The movie has lots of twists and suspenses in between. Performancewise, amitabh has biggest rola and he is amazing. I see amitabh winning his second national award. Akshay Kumar has few very good scenes and he has done full justice to them. Ajay Devgan is not as good as his other movies, may be he is not suited for such roles where he needs to overact as villain. but he is not bad. aishwarya, ii wud definitely say its a bad role for her. santoshi must have given her something more in the end. story seems to be a pulled in the end. but i rate it 8.5/10.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic, one of the best action Hindi movie ever made
moviemaniacOK20 June 2005
I'm a big fan of Amitabh Baachan, and naturally I wouldn't miss this. His performance is superb. And I am not even Indian!!! I've watched hundreds of Hindi and Tamil movies. This is by far surpassed all of them. Rent it and watch it guys!!! The plot was very well written, some of them were a total surprise. It started out a little slow in the beginning, but there're some twists here and there. This is by far surpassed all of them. The newer actors carried out their performance very well, Ajay Devgan was awesome as the villain. And beautiful Aishwarya Rai, thought was great in the movie. Like I said , rent it and watch it!!!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
After Lagaan the complete film which can compete with Hollywood in all the departments of filmmaking
Assalam O Alaikum! What can I say for this Masterpiece? I don't have the words to say or you can say that words will be less for praising this film. I am happy that I am the first one who is going to write the comments on a film which will be a studyguide for all the film students. After The Legend of Bhagat Singh, RajKumar Santoshi again got 5 star for his movie and he is now on the Hattrick chance. Right from the beginning till end you can't keep your eyes away. Everything was too perect in this film i.e. direction, sets, costumes, choreography, cinematography, performances, dialogues, screenplay, actions, editing everyhting everything was excellent. Amitabh as a main protagonist gave best performance of his career, Watch this movie and you wil forget all his cops movie including zanjeer. Amitabh deserves National and all the awards of next year. Akshay Kumar is best as a supportive and ditto can be said for him as I said for Amitabh. Best performance of his career. Ajay Devgan the master performer, best villainous performance of his career after deewangee and he was the only one who could stand infront of Amitabh and could do a conflict with him. Tushaar Kapoor surprises you with his performance. Tushaar proved that if he gets a good director he can delivers his best and he got the good in the shape of RajKumar Santoshi. Aishwarya first villainous act, she proved that she is a complete actress. Atul Kulkarni natural performace after hey ram. A great welcome to the script writer Shridhar Raghavan whose brother Sriram Raghavan made his directorial debut one week before khakee with "Ek Hasina Thi". Welcome to the two new talents. Within one month we got three best newcomers behind the camera. RajKumar Hirani, Sriram Raghavan and Shridhar Raghavan. This movie will be nominated in all categories and going to win more than a half dozen awards including the prestigious national award. After Lagaan, The Legend of Bhagat Singh, Munnabhai M.B.B.S., Ek Hasina Thi, this is my favourite movie. 5 out of 5 Allah Hafiz
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
long but fun action flick
Roland E. Zwick13 August 2004
Audiences in India must have amazing attention spans if `Khakee' is any indication of what passes for `normal' in their cinema-going experience. This political action drama runs 180 minutes, a playing time usually reserved in the States for sweeping historical epics or theater-based musical comedies. Yet, despite its enormous length, `Khakee' is very rarely boring, mainly due to its no-holds-barred, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink shamelessness. Writer/director Rajkumar Santhosi throws just about every element he can get his hands on into the mix: car chases, hand-to-hand combat scenes, heroes who are dripping with nobility, a villain who wears sunglasses even at night and seems to be lurking around literally every corner, a pair of star-crossed lovers, innumerable plot twists, corrupt government officials, even a couple of delightful but utterly irrelevant fantasy musical sequences in the best Bollywood tradition. None of this really should work but somehow it all does. Credit the filmmakers for providing the high energy and exuberant spirit necessary to pull it off.

The plot seems as if it could have been ripped right out of today's headlines, what with the government bringing together a team of five crack policemen to escort a recently arrested Pakistani terrorist safely into the hands of justice so that he can stand trial for helping to incite a riot in an Indian city. Or is it really the government officials who are corrupt and the `terrorist' an innocent victim of their grand conspiracy? Despite the apparent topicality of the subject matter, `Khakee' is really nothing more than an enjoyably over-the-top, entertaining action picture with a surprising amount of humor and warmth to counterbalance the violence. The five policemen have an almost Keystone Kops quality to them at times, making them very likable from the outset. Santhosi also allows us just enough of a glimpse into their personal and family lives to make the characters believable and interesting. It doesn't hurt that the leader of the team is actually a craggy-faced, pot-bellied middle-aged man, far from the typical Hollywood action hero. As a result of this bond established between them and the audience, the trite and corny speeches the characters deliver extolling the virtues of dedication and honor are far more stirring and effective than they have any real right to be.

`Khakee' has an almost effortless quality to it that makes it preferable to most similar films made here in the United States. There seems so little sweating and straining going on here. While the editing is often very flashy and sophisticated, the somewhat muddy photography and almost laughably bad sound effects give the film a rough-around-the-edges, homespun quality that makes it especially endearing. The movie never stops moving, which is one of the reasons why one hardly notices its three-hour running time.

`Khakee' is no masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it knows what it wants to do and succeeds in doing it very well indeed.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amitabh v/s Ajay = A blast, terrific executed film
Dhaval Patel27 February 2004
Khakee had big names to its credit Amitabh, Ajay D. Aishwarya R., Akshay Kum., Tusshar, and above all Rajkumar Santoshi. Santoshi is so consitent with making good movies and making his performers give career best performances. The movie is not a routine cop drama or to best of my knowledge its not stolen of any Hollywood movie, but one may have an idea earlier in the film that it kind of looks like Swat but its not like Swat at all. It is an example of what a nice action thriller should be, it doesn't give its audience time to blink while the movie is going on. It surprises at every new scene. The movie is also a prime example of why Amitabh is till date consider a legend in Bollywood. There were couple scenes that he shows his skillz but some were simply best for example when he reminds the police officer in the police station of his duty was just so text book, No wonder he is called Mr. Institution. Amitabh gives a glimpse of Old Amitabh "Angry young man" in this case "Angry Ol' man" at the climax point when he beats Ajay down. It is undisputed actor is one of the best in the buisness despite of his age, he can still make his fan following grow. The story, direction and screenplay was really hot. The best man in the film was Amitabh B. but other performers were surely upto Bachchan's calibre. Ajay D. in a negative role was smashing, I liked his name "ANGRE"! The sequences amongst Ajay and Amitabh was so hot and best part of the whole product. Ajay with great performances one after another, he is sure one of the best emerging actors in Hindi Cinema, if continued with such performances he will be called among the best of all times.(in Hindi Cinema) Akshay Kumar had a career performance in the movie. Tusshar was alright but Akshay Khanna would have been lot better in his shoes. Aishwarya Rai was simple gorgeous and she too was alright. Atul Kulkarni had very little to say but lot to tell. He was just right for the role. Overall, as on behalf of Hindi cinema viewers i would like to urge Mr. Rajkumar Santoshi to make films that's as crafty as this (entertaining). I really liked it because it was out of the norm yet very effective and with master performers giving good performances. I would recommend it to any one who likes Amitabh B. or even who is a fan of Ajay D. must see cinema!!! Yep Amitabh rules No competition matters when it comes to Amitabh B. Still standing Tall.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
best movie
zyprexaoverlord26 January 2004
Easily one of the best movies to come out of that part of the world. Rivals some high kwality american stuff. Kept me on the edge of my seat at all times. and Ashwaria, ashwaria, ashwaria. Sooo hot. god damn. I cant wait till they corrupt her in the next bond film.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Raj26 January 2004
The only good bollywood thriller i've seen in a long time.The movie is fast paced,stylish & has some fine performances from the main cast.Though there was no need of songs,its good that there are just 3 short songs.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Battle of Good against Bad
Biswajit Tripathy7 March 2007
The movie starts with police catching a dreaded terrorist Iqbal Ansari. He has to be brought from Chandigarh to Mumbai. But then there are certain peoples who don't want it. The story describes the main casts attempt to get the person and their turbulent fight for justice.

Anant Srivastav (Amitabh) is a honest DCP who must complete his duty against all odds. His promotion has been denied, his increments have been stopped because he is not able to please certain section of people. He has been given a job to bring Ansari to Mumbai. He is accompanied by Tushar Kapoor (Sub Inspector Ashwin Gupte), Akshaya Kumar (Sr. Inspector Shekhar Verma), Constable Kamlesh Sawant (Kamlesh Sawant). His job is not easy as there are a lot of hurdles waiting for him in the road. Ajay Devgan (Yashwant Angre, a Former Police Officer turned Terrorist), Mahalaxshmi (Aishwarya), ACP Naidu (Prakash Raj), Minister Deodhar (Sabyasachi Chakravarthy) are the peoples who don't want them to return. Because if Ansari opens his mouth then a lot of peoples are going to be screwed. On the fight between good and bad of course Constable Kamlesh Sawant dies so as Shekhar Verma. But finally good prevails upon bad and DCP Anant Srivastav wins the battle.

Produced by Keshu Ramsay and Directed by Rajkumar Santoshi, the movie has a nice story written by Santioshi and Shridhar Raghavan. Lara Dutta has got a nice item number Aisa Jadu dala re which was a hit among masses. Nice thrills, action and cinematography.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
amitabh rules!
hellisotherpeople18 February 2004
This is a fairly enjoyable thriller , which tries to be slightly different and off the beaten path. The glue that holds this movie together is Amit. DEfinitly one of his better work in the past decade. The sequence where he is admonishing the politician towards the end of the movie , reminding him of his duty to the ordinary man was really effective and goosebump inducing:) the man can still bring it! Aish was Ok. Her role did not have much substance in my opinion and she did'nt blow me away with her acting. She still looks good though! Tusshar is stiff. Akshay is time pass. The Aish Aksh songs were good. I liked the fact that the muslim character was handled extermely sympathetically. How refreshing in this age of jingoistic patriotism!. At the end of the day, I wld urge you to watch this movie for Amitabh Bachhan Overall grade 8/10.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice movie
peanutz4547 March 2004
Short of it:

*Better then most Bollywood movies (and Hollywood movies for that matter)

*Good performance _BY ALL_

*Thrilling (leaves you with your mouth open at times) lots of twists

*Drags near the end (God!! When will the movie end?) _BUT_ the ending is WOW

*One complete hour without any song

*Ajay Devgan has matured (You have to be good more then once before someone says you have matured as an actor)

*Has the obvious minor problems with continuity and weakness of plot at times.

As the cliché goes 'last but not the least' *Aisa Jadoo ;-)

If you can tell the story of a Hindi movie one hour into the future because you have seen a lot of then there is not spoiler here otherwise --A lil Spoiler--

I liked the fact that Minister Deodhar alludes to Modi the CM of Gujrat. The story in essence has some mild truth to it about a real minister trying to use communal riots to his own advantage. What is amusing is the movie starts with the "... entirely fictional story and resemblance is incidental..." kind of line. Needless to say that the director is talking about politicians in general and the comparison with Modi that I've put here is from own hate for the man. Another good was the good light in which Muslims are shown.

About the ending - The character of Sub Inspector Ashwin Gupte is worth following. He starts out as an enthusiastic young man of strict principles. Stays a man of principles when he says he will quit the job after this assignment - but has lost his enthusiasm. In the end while he arguably still is with the good side he has lost his sense of strict principles too. The entire movie is against taking law into your own hands but what about the ending? The message changes to - you are justified to give your own judgement if you are absolutely sure of it. Fine with me, but is it not the start of path towards breaking the law... I loved the ending anyway.

6/10 I'd say.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice Movie
Tera_bapp156 May 2006
This is a fairly enjoyable thriller , which tries to be slightly different and off the beaten path. The glue that holds this movie together is Amit. Definitely one of his better work in the past decade. The sequence where he is admonishing the politician towards the end of the movie , reminding him of his duty to the ordinary man was really effective and goosebump inducing:) the man can still bring it! Aish was OK. Her role did not have much substance in my opinion and she did'nt blow me away with her acting. She still looks good though! Tusshar is stiff. Akshay is time pass. The Aish Aksh songs were good. I liked the fact that the Muslim character was handled extermely sympathetically. How refreshing in this age of jingoistic patriotism!. At the end of the day, Ajay Devgan was good. I wld urge you to watch this movie for Amitabh Bachhan Overall grade 10/10.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I want to say something but I am speechless
khiladi200229 July 2005
Khakee. Meaning brown. The color of police uniform in India. Khakee is a film about the honor of the uniform born by the policeman. It is about the meaning of the uniform. The duty of the uniform. Without going too much into the story as there are other user comments which describe the storyline pretty well, I want to say that this is probably one the best wholesome entertainers I have seen emerging from Bollywood and Hollywood.

There are so many scenes in the film that leave a mark. For instance, the scene where Anant Shrivastav (Amitabh Bachchan) runs after Angre through the desert and a hoard of buffaloes and ends up having a fit of asthma. SPOILER AHEAD...Akshay Kumar's death scene is also brilliantly executed. The scene where an angry mob wants to stop the policemen from taking Ansari and Amitabh Bachchan confronts them. The scene in the jeep where Akshay hits on Aishwariya is also impeccable.

There is something about the film that really makes you a part of the ongoings. The camera work is such that you really feel the heat and dust of the locations. I literally started sweating when i saw the film. I just wanted to be a part of their journey.

Another thing that was really good about the film was that the film felt as if it was electrically charged. What i mean to say is that the tension in the film is nerve-wrecking. The emotions are very electric. All the marks for this go to the director who managed to give such aura to the film. Also, shooting the film in brown tint helped the film a lot. However, on minor error was that they should have done away with the song "Dil Dooba", no matter how good it was.

Coming to the performances. The film really needed some excellent performances to get the message through. The cast of the film gives it one hundred percent. Amitach Bachchan is simply awesome. I don't have enough words to praise his performance. It was after a long time that I saw him in the garb of an angry man. In Khakee, he is more. He is a tired and angry man. A lethal combination. Tusshar Kapoor surprised and gave a good performance especially in the scene where he gives the news of the constable's death to his wife. He was also good in the scenes where he bickered with Akshay Kumar. Ajay Devgan was efficient. A good thing which many people overlooked about his character was that he was an old school villain. He also had a catch-line which went "good evening". The line was so hilarious. I saw the movie in Denmark with a lot of Danish people who laughed a lot when AD used to say this. Aishwariya looked beautiful with brown hair and curls. I don't care for her much in her straight hair look. Last but not least, Akshay Kumar together with Amitabh Bachchan was the lifeline of the movie. He was tremendous in a role which was originally written for Paresh Rawal. He shone in the comic sequences and rose in the emotional ones. He delivered a hammer-strong impact with this film. His on screen chemistry with Aishwariya Rai was beautiful. I would love to see these two in a full blown romantic lead opposite each other.

The music by newcomer Ram Sampat was terrific. "Vaada Raha" and "Dil Dooba" were nice. So was "Aisa Jadoo". However, the real masterpiece was "Maula Maula". The impact of the song is so great in the film. Look out for this part!

Production values were of high standard. The same goes for choreography and cinematography and action. Editing was sharp. The film just flies by. The direction was nothing short of brilliant. I think this guy deserved an award for best director because a subject like Khakee could have gone haywire, had it been executed by a lesser director. Santoshi makes the film a classic actioner if not a masterpiece.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Amitabh's finest!!!!!
mharishkashyap28 December 2007
Another trademark Rajkumar Santoshi film, characterized by sterling performances, coupled with top-notch direction. Story may not be perfect, but acting, direction and screenplay are. This is what you expect from a Rajkumar Santoshi film.

Story is the routine police drama, with some surprises thrown in. An honest police officer, Amitabh Bachchan, on the verge of retirement, is sent on a suicidal mission to escort a terrorist (Atul Kulkarni), to Mumbai. Accompanying him is a team consisting of a corrupt, but brave police officer (Akshay Kumar), a rookie inspector (Tushar Kapoor) and 2 constables, all the while chased by a gang of terrorists led by Ajay Devgan. The trials, challenges and betrayals this team faces forms the crux of the story.

Some trademark Rajkumar Santoshi features:- 1. Amitabh's altercation with a police officer by reminding him of his duty. 2. The scene where Ajay Devgan and his gang has the team hostage. 3. The climax. 4. Amitabh Bachchan's meeting with the CM.

Everyone has acted well in the movie. This is possibly Amitabh's finest cinematic role after his legendary Vijay Dinanath Chauhan in Agneepath. Ajay Devgan is menacing as Yashwanth Angrey. Akshay Kumar's run of super-roles started with this movie. Atul Kulkarni shows his class. But, the real surprise package of the movie was Tushar Kapoor. It is probably his finest role-to-date.

Don't miss watching this movie!!!! Not for entertainment, but what good performance is all about.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amitabh in new avatar of angry old man
pankajshakya1 August 2005
Khakee is a sure shot paisa basool movie. It has action, emotion, romance, comedy and probably each and every ingredients of commercial cinema for sure shot success. Khakee is a story of old DCP who is almost on the verge of retirement from the tenure of his long service. But unfortunately he has done nothing in his career instead of training new officers and policemen. But yes there is still some passion left in his blood and soul to do something before getting retirement. He is frustrated from the system and dirty politics because he was victimized from that every now and than. The day of his daughter's marriage is also approaching very near & suddenly he got the assignment from his superiors that he has to supervise the team of a small task force for the very purpose of presenting a terrorist(Atul Kulkarni in the movie)safely in front of Judiciary. The assignment itself was very risky and important as few officials & policemen were killed before during the same process committed earlier. Now lets introduced you with the all member of task force as it becomes so very important as the story progresses. Amitabh is of course a team leader, Akshay Kumar is there who is corrupt and lady killer kind of guy and there is Tushar, a new cop with honesty and enthusiasm to do something big for the nation and system and also there are few more constables. Amitabh, a very desperate man starts the operation with his team mates. He went to custody where Atul Kulkarni was kept getting unknown with the fact that they were followed by there opponents. On the course of there action they do realized there is someone who knows about each and every information regarding there future activities. Ajay Devgan a criminal type ex-cop is after this task force. Who don't want to make there mission successful. Inbetween Aishwarya Roy join the group of task force on the course of disposing bomb from a school. This may cause a danger for her so Amitabh don't allow her to move alone and as a result she joined the task force. As the movie progresses Aishwarya & Akshay come across each other and there you can see transition of Akshay from a bad cop into a legendary one. But suddenly they come to realize Atul Kulkarni the one whom they were thinking as terrorist is actually a gem instead of culprit who was victimized because of his honesty towards nation and real culprit is Chief minister of the state. And from than the task force change there motive and there mission now is to give justice to the innocent. The movie is all about how they overcome all these barriers and how they give justice to the nation and for all these how many sacrifices they have to make. Thats it. But movie is so well supplemented by efficient script and duologue you cannot help but just realize how much you enjoy the movie. Songs are not significant but they are well shot and very good. There is also surprise package in the form of Aishwarya who turns a vamp from good looking innocent lover. Tushar I must say for the 1st time look very close to his respective profession of acting. Akshay Kumar is extremely good and lovable. Aishwarya is shocking. Ajay Devgan is as always brilliant. He stands shoulder to shoulder with Big B and this will always remain one of his finest performances ever. About Bacchan I must say Khakee remain always his comeback movie which recalls me of his angry young man days. The way he narrate his profession in the police station in front of another police officer is really a treat to watch. This movie is no doubt one man show from Mr. Bacchan. Simply great movie for Bacchan's fan. 9 out of 10. A must see movie.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well done Mr. Santoshi!
HeadleyLamarr13 April 2008
I love Rajkumar Santoshi's Andaz Apna Apna - it is my favorite comedy. But I have not found a lot to like in what I saw of Hall Bol and all of Legend of Bhagat Singh. I finally saw Khakee and found it quite riveting. It was a taut action packed thriller, smart, and with a couple of decent twists - kind of what RACE might have wanted to be. But as it lacked cheapness - be it in the innuendo or the slutty female quotient, I found much to like here. In fact the film boasted of a fine performance from Amitabh, Akki was decent, Ajay was very good - after a long time I saw him in a convincing role that he played extremely well. Aish was OK - a bit weak IMO, except in the last 5 or so minutes. I think she could not decide how to act in the film - the innocent or the siren. Tusshar was OK, the rest of the supporting cast was excellent including Atul Kulkarni, Tanuja and Jaya Prada. The film did not need any songs at all. Mind you I did not mind the relief they provided from the tension that was escalating in the film, but they were NOT needed and were not that great.

Yes it was the same old story of corruption at the highest levels, but it was revealed slowly and the film did not beat it to death. The atmosphere or danger and menace was well developed and the action sequences were quite realistic.
Packs a stellar punch!
Sherazade9 March 2006
Amitabh Bachchan, Ajay Devgan, Akshay Kumar, Aishwarya Rai... need I say more? They all star in the best cop drama I have seen in a long time. Amitabh plays a police inspector who has been selected to lead a team of officers including two rookies to go escort a prisoner attached to the underworld back to the state to stand trial. Sounds easy enough eh? The only problem is that every team that has been sent on this mission impossible task has ended up either bombed or shot to death by ever eluding forces so far. The police force is under a lot of scrutiny with its reputation in limbo as they seem unable to uphold justice nor control these anarchists responsible for the obstruction of justice and the killings. But if you know Amitabh's characters well, then you know that there will be no such nonsense tolerated on his watch. He assembles a team that includes a wisecracking but corrupt Kumar, rookies that includes Tusshar Kapoor in his finest work to date, just to mention a few. They set out to go bring this prisoner to justice and pick up a stunningly beautiful eyewitness Malaxmi (Played by Aishwarya Rai) along the way. You can only imagine what happens to them on the way. Ajay Devgan is wickedly sinister here as the underworld hit-man on their trail. Both Kumar and Kapoor fall for Malaxmi despite the action and drama, but Kumar ends up getting the girl. In the midst of all the chaos, the writers manage to squeeze in three lovely song and dance numbers, two of which include Rai and Kumar serenading each other and one item number appearance by beauty queen Lara Dutta. I recommend this film for everyone who appreciates fine cinema. But keep in mind that in countries that use rating systems, this film would be Rated R or 18, so it's not something to watch with your preteen children.
A tale of two halves
aashish15 July 2004
Oh, so close! They should have had it. Going into the intermission, this was the most gripping thriller to come out of Bollywood in years. In fact, I didn't want to leave my seat as I was afraid I'm miss something when the movie would commence.

But alas, I wish I did. The movie was a perfect mountain of sorts, straight up and then straight down. In short, it was ruined.

There were some brilliant performances by the actors in this movie. Most notably, Akshay Kumar's performance was highly entertaining and added a comic element to the movie. Ajay Devgan played a convincing and worthy antagonist, while AB, Aish, and Tushar Kapoor did quite well.

The blame for this movie not being an incredible one goes to the writers. It was directed with a lot of style and the actors gave it their all. But the script didn't live up to its end of the bargain. Nevertheless, it's still worth watching. If only for the first half. 7/10.
This movie is awesome!
james_cherry012315 January 2006
Khakee is the one of the best work of bollywood movie makers. Rajkumar Santoshi has done a great job once again. He makes a film with his own style. I like to watch his every movie. He is one of my favourite director from Bollywood. Khakee is not a newly created story, we have seen many films on that type of story, but the main reason of success of this movie is the art of direction and the actors casted in this movie are experienced except Tushar Kapoor. Tushar has no experience how to act, and he has given role on his acting skills. The focused characters were Anant Shrivastav (Amitabh Bachchan), Angre (Ajay Devgan) and Shekhar (Akshay Kumar). The man in totally form Mr. Amitabh Bachchan is done a brilliant job, his experience in acting talks. This movie would be incomplete without him. Ajay Devgan is not taking any chances to give bad performance. He was the second third reason of the success of the movie. And Akshay Kumar is the package of Comedy and Emotion. Ash is pretty good. And the other cast were perfect in their roles. On the whole, this movie is good package of entertainment with lovely melodies by RAM SAMPAT. Don't forget to watch this movie at least 1 time.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome entertainer!
varghesejunior25 August 2012
An over 2 and a half hour entertainer, this film promises to keep you over the edge.

The concept is simply amazing, with superb acting on the apart of all actors, mainly Amitabh Bachchan, Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgn, music is melodious and dialog delivery thunders throughout the film, with amazing fast paced action sequences.

Story is about a police team that is given the mission of escorting a deadly terrorist to Mumbai with ISI aides behind to release him at any cost. But things turn out to be not what they seem to be for anyone. And the climax is something no one can expect.

Even if there was no choreography, it would not have really mattered in this film. The film mainly depicts the lives of police officers and the corrupt political system in India. Akshay Kumar's performance is definitely commendable, and is probably the next best actor to Amitabh Bachchan.

Don't miss Khakee. It's really cool.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Splendid, Captivating Venture
Srinivas G Phani23 August 2012
Rajkumar Santoshi is a name that raises your expectations of watching a powerful tale told with immense passion and dedication. He has proved time and again that he is the master storyteller who is keen about the script, performances, music, and art direction. When it comes to his magnum opus, it has to be "The Legend of Bhagat Singh" but Khakee is no less. It is a modern tale of politics, corruption, terrorism and the police intervention and involvement in them. The film has a solid screenplay and the three hours it took to unfold pretty much flew by.

What seems to be a routine errand of transporting a terrorist from Chandangarh to Mumbai turns into a nightmare when the police team is ambushed and killed. Another team Is sent to accomplish the task and they fight against all odds to get the terrorist safely to Mumbai. Thrown into this riveting tale is a mysterious, nameless villain who haunts the team throughout their spectacular journey through the rugged, dry landscape of central Maharashtra to get hold of the terrorist. A Hindi film is incomplete without a heroine and hence, a damsel who telephones the police informing about terrorist activity upstairs joins the group and accompanies them.

The film has a wonderfully scripted screenplay by Santoshi and Sridhar Raghavan. The film almost takes a u-turn at places in much better and convincing ways that the "U-turn" inspired Musafir that released later that year. But yes, there are some overdone and unconvincing sequences at key places in the plot but Santoshi hopefully has done away with all clichés or illogical elements in the ending. The last scene is sure to catch you unaware. The film could have been a song-less thriller but Santoshi bows down to the common notion that a Hindi blockbuster needs to have song and dance. They are limited in the film but one wished they were not there at all. Lara Dutta sizzles in the 'Aisa Jadoo' track. Ram Sampath makes a decent debut composing songs that belong to the popular genre.

Every actor in the film – be it Amitab, Tushar or even Ashwini Kalsekar – is given at least one scene to prove his talent. And none of the scenes seem forced. The script is smart and intelligent, manipulates the situations very well. Santoshi extracts the best performance from his cast and many have even won the coveted national awards for his films (Sunny Deol, Ajay Devgn, Anil Kapoor). Who can forget all the leading ladies' (Manisha, Rekha, Madhuri, Mahima) astounding performances in "Lajja". Well, no one gives an award-worthy performance in Khakee but none disappoint either. Santoshi wanted to cast Aishwarya Rai in "The Legend of Bhagat Singh" but she was already on board the rival film "23 March 1931: Shaheed", so Amrita Rao stepped in. She finally gets her chance in a male-dominated film in a meaty role and she does prove to an extent and stands out. Ajay Devgn is a regular name in Santoshi's films and he gives a true villainous performance. Akshay Kumar and Tushar Kapoor are not given enough lines but they are fair. Amitab Bacchan is the star of the show and he is dependable and dedicated as always. Atul Kulkarni delivers a fine performance.

Another fabulous aspect of the film is the production design by Nitin Chandrakant Desai. He was the man behind the opulent, magnificent sets of "Kama Sutra" and "Devdas", the sepia tint period look in "Legend of Bhagat Singh" and also the rusty, village look in Academy Award Nominee "Lagaan". In Khakee, he gets to work with a wide variety of locations and sets and he impresses with all of them. The house where almost 30 minutes of the film takes places is designed with utmost detail. The golden lights raise the graph of the action scenes in the house. He creates a unique look and feel in the song 'Dil Dooba' which is one of the best picturised songs ever. There are two flashbacks in the film and Desai creates completely opposite atmospheres in both of them. The cinematography by K V Anand is splendid throughout. Watch out for the marvelous editing during the scene between the cattle. The background score is a revelation. It seems to be tailor made for the scenes and composed along with the making instead of adding later. It gels very well with the gunshots, action or even tense moments.

Santoshi's direction deserves browny points. He has got immense control over his script and his narration style complements well with the film. If the placement of the songs is kept aside, he actually places every other scene at the right place and time. He is a master and has tackled wide variety of genres, from docu-drama (The Legend of Bhagat Singh), socio-political issues (Lajja), legal dramas (Damini) and even comedies (Andaz Apna Apna). This time he comes up with a hardcore masala film but it doesn't get meaningless at any point. It only gets better as it progresses. He proves that commercial bollywood films can also have substance beyond the action, romance and dance which are generally placed erroneously to enhance mass appeal.

The film easily is one of the best of the 2000s and rightly deserves 8 on 10. Must see at all costs.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this