IMDb > Khakee (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Khakee More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Fantastic, one of the best action Hindi movie ever made

Author: moviemaniacOK from United States
20 June 2005

I'm a big fan of Amitabh Baachan, and naturally I wouldn't miss this. His performance is superb. And I am not even Indian!!! I've watched hundreds of Hindi and Tamil movies. This is by far surpassed all of them. Rent it and watch it guys!!! The plot was very well written, some of them were a total surprise. It started out a little slow in the beginning, but there're some twists here and there. This is by far surpassed all of them. The newer actors carried out their performance very well, Ajay Devgan was awesome as the villain. And beautiful Aishwarya Rai, thought was great in the movie. Like I said , rent it and watch it!!!

After Lagaan the complete film which can compete with Hollywood in all the departments of filmmaking

Author: Malik Taufiq - ur - Rehman Awan from Kuwait
1 February 2004

Assalam O Alaikum! What can I say for this Masterpiece? I don't have the words to say or you can say that words will be less for praising this film. I am happy that I am the first one who is going to write the comments on a film which will be a studyguide for all the film students. After The Legend of Bhagat Singh, RajKumar Santoshi again got 5 star for his movie and he is now on the Hattrick chance. Right from the beginning till end you can't keep your eyes away. Everything was too perect in this film i.e. direction, sets, costumes, choreography, cinematography, performances, dialogues, screenplay, actions, editing everyhting everything was excellent. Amitabh as a main protagonist gave best performance of his career, Watch this movie and you wil forget all his cops movie including zanjeer. Amitabh deserves National and all the awards of next year. Akshay Kumar is best as a supportive and ditto can be said for him as I said for Amitabh. Best performance of his career. Ajay Devgan the master performer, best villainous performance of his career after deewangee and he was the only one who could stand infront of Amitabh and could do a conflict with him. Tushaar Kapoor surprises you with his performance. Tushaar proved that if he gets a good director he can delivers his best and he got the good in the shape of RajKumar Santoshi. Aishwarya first villainous act, she proved that she is a complete actress. Atul Kulkarni natural performace after hey ram. A great welcome to the script writer Shridhar Raghavan whose brother Sriram Raghavan made his directorial debut one week before khakee with "Ek Hasina Thi". Welcome to the two new talents. Within one month we got three best newcomers behind the camera. RajKumar Hirani, Sriram Raghavan and Shridhar Raghavan. This movie will be nominated in all categories and going to win more than a half dozen awards including the prestigious national award. After Lagaan, The Legend of Bhagat Singh, Munnabhai M.B.B.S., Ek Hasina Thi, this is my favourite movie. 5 out of 5 Allah Hafiz

Battle of Good against Bad

Author: Biswajit Tripathy from India
7 March 2007

The movie starts with police catching a dreaded terrorist Iqbal Ansari. He has to be brought from Chandigarh to Mumbai. But then there are certain peoples who don't want it. The story describes the main casts attempt to get the person and their turbulent fight for justice.

Anant Srivastav (Amitabh) is a honest DCP who must complete his duty against all odds. His promotion has been denied, his increments have been stopped because he is not able to please certain section of people. He has been given a job to bring Ansari to Mumbai. He is accompanied by Tushar Kapoor (Sub Inspector Ashwin Gupte), Akshaya Kumar (Sr. Inspector Shekhar Verma), Constable Kamlesh Sawant (Kamlesh Sawant). His job is not easy as there are a lot of hurdles waiting for him in the road. Ajay Devgan (Yashwant Angre, a Former Police Officer turned Terrorist), Mahalaxshmi (Aishwarya), ACP Naidu (Prakash Raj), Minister Deodhar (Sabyasachi Chakravarthy) are the peoples who don't want them to return. Because if Ansari opens his mouth then a lot of peoples are going to be screwed. On the fight between good and bad of course Constable Kamlesh Sawant dies so as Shekhar Verma. But finally good prevails upon bad and DCP Anant Srivastav wins the battle.

Produced by Keshu Ramsay and Directed by Rajkumar Santoshi, the movie has a nice story written by Santioshi and Shridhar Raghavan. Lara Dutta has got a nice item number Aisa Jadu dala re which was a hit among masses. Nice thrills, action and cinematography.

best movie

Author: zyprexaoverlord
26 January 2004

Easily one of the best movies to come out of that part of the world. Rivals some high kwality american stuff. Kept me on the edge of my seat at all times. and Ashwaria, ashwaria, ashwaria. Sooo hot. god damn. I cant wait till they corrupt her in the next bond film.

Nice Movie

Author: Tera_bapp15 from United States
6 May 2006

This is a fairly enjoyable thriller , which tries to be slightly different and off the beaten path. The glue that holds this movie together is Amit. Definitely one of his better work in the past decade. The sequence where he is admonishing the politician towards the end of the movie , reminding him of his duty to the ordinary man was really effective and goosebump inducing:) the man can still bring it! Aish was OK. Her role did not have much substance in my opinion and she did'nt blow me away with her acting. She still looks good though! Tusshar is stiff. Akshay is time pass. The Aish Aksh songs were good. I liked the fact that the Muslim character was handled extermely sympathetically. How refreshing in this age of jingoistic patriotism!. At the end of the day, Ajay Devgan was good. I wld urge you to watch this movie for Amitabh Bachhan Overall grade 10/10.

I want to say something but I am speechless

Author: khiladi2002 from Denmark
29 July 2005

Khakee. Meaning brown. The color of police uniform in India. Khakee is a film about the honor of the uniform born by the policeman. It is about the meaning of the uniform. The duty of the uniform. Without going too much into the story as there are other user comments which describe the storyline pretty well, I want to say that this is probably one the best wholesome entertainers I have seen emerging from Bollywood and Hollywood.

There are so many scenes in the film that leave a mark. For instance, the scene where Anant Shrivastav (Amitabh Bachchan) runs after Angre through the desert and a hoard of buffaloes and ends up having a fit of asthma. SPOILER AHEAD...Akshay Kumar's death scene is also brilliantly executed. The scene where an angry mob wants to stop the policemen from taking Ansari and Amitabh Bachchan confronts them. The scene in the jeep where Akshay hits on Aishwariya is also impeccable.

There is something about the film that really makes you a part of the ongoings. The camera work is such that you really feel the heat and dust of the locations. I literally started sweating when i saw the film. I just wanted to be a part of their journey.

Another thing that was really good about the film was that the film felt as if it was electrically charged. What i mean to say is that the tension in the film is nerve-wrecking. The emotions are very electric. All the marks for this go to the director who managed to give such aura to the film. Also, shooting the film in brown tint helped the film a lot. However, on minor error was that they should have done away with the song "Dil Dooba", no matter how good it was.

Coming to the performances. The film really needed some excellent performances to get the message through. The cast of the film gives it one hundred percent. Amitach Bachchan is simply awesome. I don't have enough words to praise his performance. It was after a long time that I saw him in the garb of an angry man. In Khakee, he is more. He is a tired and angry man. A lethal combination. Tusshar Kapoor surprised and gave a good performance especially in the scene where he gives the news of the constable's death to his wife. He was also good in the scenes where he bickered with Akshay Kumar. Ajay Devgan was efficient. A good thing which many people overlooked about his character was that he was an old school villain. He also had a catch-line which went "good evening". The line was so hilarious. I saw the movie in Denmark with a lot of Danish people who laughed a lot when AD used to say this. Aishwariya looked beautiful with brown hair and curls. I don't care for her much in her straight hair look. Last but not least, Akshay Kumar together with Amitabh Bachchan was the lifeline of the movie. He was tremendous in a role which was originally written for Paresh Rawal. He shone in the comic sequences and rose in the emotional ones. He delivered a hammer-strong impact with this film. His on screen chemistry with Aishwariya Rai was beautiful. I would love to see these two in a full blown romantic lead opposite each other.

The music by newcomer Ram Sampat was terrific. "Vaada Raha" and "Dil Dooba" were nice. So was "Aisa Jadoo". However, the real masterpiece was "Maula Maula". The impact of the song is so great in the film. Look out for this part!

Production values were of high standard. The same goes for choreography and cinematography and action. Editing was sharp. The film just flies by. The direction was nothing short of brilliant. I think this guy deserved an award for best director because a subject like Khakee could have gone haywire, had it been executed by a lesser director. Santoshi makes the film a classic actioner if not a masterpiece.

Nice movie

Author: peanutz454 from India-Canada
7 March 2004

Short of it:

*Better then most Bollywood movies (and Hollywood movies for that matter)

*Good performance _BY ALL_

*Thrilling (leaves you with your mouth open at times) lots of twists

*Drags near the end (God!! When will the movie end?) _BUT_ the ending is WOW

*One complete hour without any song

*Ajay Devgan has matured (You have to be good more then once before someone says you have matured as an actor)

*Has the obvious minor problems with continuity and weakness of plot at times.

As the cliché goes 'last but not the least' *Aisa Jadoo ;-)

If you can tell the story of a Hindi movie one hour into the future because you have seen a lot of then there is not spoiler here otherwise --A lil Spoiler--

I liked the fact that Minister Deodhar alludes to Modi the CM of Gujrat. The story in essence has some mild truth to it about a real minister trying to use communal riots to his own advantage. What is amusing is the movie starts with the "... entirely fictional story and resemblance is incidental..." kind of line. Needless to say that the director is talking about politicians in general and the comparison with Modi that I've put here is from own hate for the man. Another good was the good light in which Muslims are shown.

About the ending - The character of Sub Inspector Ashwin Gupte is worth following. He starts out as an enthusiastic young man of strict principles. Stays a man of principles when he says he will quit the job after this assignment - but has lost his enthusiasm. In the end while he arguably still is with the good side he has lost his sense of strict principles too. The entire movie is against taking law into your own hands but what about the ending? The message changes to - you are justified to give your own judgement if you are absolutely sure of it. Fine with me, but is it not the start of path towards breaking the law... I loved the ending anyway.

6/10 I'd say.

One of Amitabh's finest!!!!!

Author: mharishkashyap from India
28 December 2007

Another trademark Rajkumar Santoshi film, characterized by sterling performances, coupled with top-notch direction. Story may not be perfect, but acting, direction and screenplay are. This is what you expect from a Rajkumar Santoshi film.

Story is the routine police drama, with some surprises thrown in. An honest police officer, Amitabh Bachchan, on the verge of retirement, is sent on a suicidal mission to escort a terrorist (Atul Kulkarni), to Mumbai. Accompanying him is a team consisting of a corrupt, but brave police officer (Akshay Kumar), a rookie inspector (Tushar Kapoor) and 2 constables, all the while chased by a gang of terrorists led by Ajay Devgan. The trials, challenges and betrayals this team faces forms the crux of the story.

Some trademark Rajkumar Santoshi features:- 1. Amitabh's altercation with a police officer by reminding him of his duty. 2. The scene where Ajay Devgan and his gang has the team hostage. 3. The climax. 4. Amitabh Bachchan's meeting with the CM.

Everyone has acted well in the movie. This is possibly Amitabh's finest cinematic role after his legendary Vijay Dinanath Chauhan in Agneepath. Ajay Devgan is menacing as Yashwanth Angrey. Akshay Kumar's run of super-roles started with this movie. Atul Kulkarni shows his class. But, the real surprise package of the movie was Tushar Kapoor. It is probably his finest role-to-date.

Don't miss watching this movie!!!! Not for entertainment, but what good performance is all about.

Amitabh in new avatar of angry old man

Author: pankajshakya from Australia
1 August 2005

Khakee is a sure shot paisa basool movie. It has action, emotion, romance, comedy and probably each and every ingredients of commercial cinema for sure shot success. Khakee is a story of old DCP who is almost on the verge of retirement from the tenure of his long service. But unfortunately he has done nothing in his career instead of training new officers and policemen. But yes there is still some passion left in his blood and soul to do something before getting retirement. He is frustrated from the system and dirty politics because he was victimized from that every now and than. The day of his daughter's marriage is also approaching very near & suddenly he got the assignment from his superiors that he has to supervise the team of a small task force for the very purpose of presenting a terrorist(Atul Kulkarni in the movie)safely in front of Judiciary. The assignment itself was very risky and important as few officials & policemen were killed before during the same process committed earlier. Now lets introduced you with the all member of task force as it becomes so very important as the story progresses. Amitabh is of course a team leader, Akshay Kumar is there who is corrupt and lady killer kind of guy and there is Tushar, a new cop with honesty and enthusiasm to do something big for the nation and system and also there are few more constables. Amitabh, a very desperate man starts the operation with his team mates. He went to custody where Atul Kulkarni was kept getting unknown with the fact that they were followed by there opponents. On the course of there action they do realized there is someone who knows about each and every information regarding there future activities. Ajay Devgan a criminal type ex-cop is after this task force. Who don't want to make there mission successful. Inbetween Aishwarya Roy join the group of task force on the course of disposing bomb from a school. This may cause a danger for her so Amitabh don't allow her to move alone and as a result she joined the task force. As the movie progresses Aishwarya & Akshay come across each other and there you can see transition of Akshay from a bad cop into a legendary one. But suddenly they come to realize Atul Kulkarni the one whom they were thinking as terrorist is actually a gem instead of culprit who was victimized because of his honesty towards nation and real culprit is Chief minister of the state. And from than the task force change there motive and there mission now is to give justice to the innocent. The movie is all about how they overcome all these barriers and how they give justice to the nation and for all these how many sacrifices they have to make. Thats it. But movie is so well supplemented by efficient script and duologue you cannot help but just realize how much you enjoy the movie. Songs are not significant but they are well shot and very good. There is also surprise package in the form of Aishwarya who turns a vamp from good looking innocent lover. Tushar I must say for the 1st time look very close to his respective profession of acting. Akshay Kumar is extremely good and lovable. Aishwarya is shocking. Ajay Devgan is as always brilliant. He stands shoulder to shoulder with Big B and this will always remain one of his finest performances ever. About Bacchan I must say Khakee remain always his comeback movie which recalls me of his angry young man days. The way he narrate his profession in the police station in front of another police officer is really a treat to watch. This movie is no doubt one man show from Mr. Bacchan. Simply great movie for Bacchan's fan. 9 out of 10. A must see movie.

Well done Mr. Santoshi!

Author: HeadleyLamarr from United States
13 April 2008

I love Rajkumar Santoshi's Andaz Apna Apna - it is my favorite comedy. But I have not found a lot to like in what I saw of Hall Bol and all of Legend of Bhagat Singh. I finally saw Khakee and found it quite riveting. It was a taut action packed thriller, smart, and with a couple of decent twists - kind of what RACE might have wanted to be. But as it lacked cheapness - be it in the innuendo or the slutty female quotient, I found much to like here. In fact the film boasted of a fine performance from Amitabh, Akki was decent, Ajay was very good - after a long time I saw him in a convincing role that he played extremely well. Aish was OK - a bit weak IMO, except in the last 5 or so minutes. I think she could not decide how to act in the film - the innocent or the siren. Tusshar was OK, the rest of the supporting cast was excellent including Atul Kulkarni, Tanuja and Jaya Prada. The film did not need any songs at all. Mind you I did not mind the relief they provided from the tension that was escalating in the film, but they were NOT needed and were not that great.

Yes it was the same old story of corruption at the highest levels, but it was revealed slowly and the film did not beat it to death. The atmosphere or danger and menace was well developed and the action sequences were quite realistic.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]