IMDb > The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's SpongeBob, 'nuff said

Author: Matt Hackmann from United States
28 February 2005

I didn't quite know what to expect when I walked into the theater to watch the movie of one of my favorite cartoons. Nickelodeon has a really nasty habit of "big-budgtizing" movies of their shows (changing the look, etc.). However this is not the case with SpongeBob. Whew, one less thing to worry about.

Next was the story. Could Steve Hillenburg live up to what had been laid down by the series? Yes. Basically it's like watching a 1 1/2 hour episode of SpongeBob (and who couldn't like that). Lot's of visual gags and typical Sponge brainless-ness. I was quite impressed.

If you're a SpongeBob fan, you'll love this movie. If you're not, eh, watch it anyways, it'll do you good ;-).

I was curious why my kid likes Spongebob so much...

Author: winshams from SF area, California
27 November 2004

I went to see Spongebob because my kid has pretty sophisticated taste, and I couldn't imagine how a cartoon sponge could be interesting. But it was interesting. I wasn't bored for a second, and actually laughed out loud numerous times. Parts of it were definitely off color, but that made it more adult....not just a cartoon kid movie. I loved the David Hasselhof bit. I also liked the other real people and locations that weren't cartoon. This movie would be scary for real little kids, which may help explain why middle school kids like it. I'm not going to watch the TV show every week, but I do think a parent could do worse than going to see Spongebob with his kid...a pleasant afternoon, and insight into what they are watching...

An underwater adventure of goofy proportions ensues.

Author: (themoviemark@themoviemark.com)
17 November 2004

This is a movie about an animated sponge that wears square cardboard pants. So there you go, you can't go to the movie and claim you didn't know what kind of humor to expect. It's goofy, it's silly, and it can be downright strange. But I can't call those negative attributes considering the fact that all of the above can also be used to describe me at times.

I've never seen the SpongeBob TV show, so I went into the movie without much of an idea of what I was in for. I must say that while I won't rush out and buy the DVD, I walked away fairly entertained. Expectedly, a lot of the humor is directed towards children, but there's enough here to keep the adults snickering. I may be nearing 30, but I'm not ashamed to laugh at a sponge wearing square whitey tighties! Oh, and for those of us who never cease to mock David Hasselhoff - he has a cameo. I've gotta give the guy credit - he's very aware that the entire country is laughing *at* him, yet he's completely willing to join in.

The children at the screening loved the movie, singing along to songs and everything. One of the funniest things was when Patrick the starfish first appeared on screen and the kids erupted in applause. It was like watching an episode of Seinfeld when Kramer makes his first appearance of an episode and the studio audience goes crazy. I briefly thought about booing just for the fun of it, but the thought of a bunch of tiny little hands pattering me upon my face didn't sound too fun.

But let's go back to the whole "singing along to songs" bit. I think it's only fair to warn parents that this may start to drive you crazy after the movie. Good luck trying to keep your kid from singing, "I'm ready, promotion! I'm ready, promotion!" or "I'm a goofy goober, you're a goofy goober, we're all goofy goobers" over and over and over again. I had to bribe my 9-year-old brother with cold hard cash to knock it off with the "I'm ready, promotion!" song.

Speaking of my brother, I asked him after the movie which he preferred -SpongeBob or The Polar Express. To my surprise, he said SpongeBob because it was "funnier." I suppose this is a lesson that children aren't quite as impressed with fancy animation as adults are.

But he's right, SpongeBob is a funny movie in it's own quirky, original way. I'm not dying to see it again, and I don't think I'll be glued to the TV set every time it's on, but I enjoyed it, and I'm not gonna waste my time or yours by picking apart what I didn't like. The target audience should be pleased with the end result, so mission accomplished.

THE GIST

If you're a fan of the TV show, then you should definitely get a kick out of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. This movie isn't exactly for everybody though. If you've never heard of SpongeBob, then there's quite a bit here that may humor you. But if you hate all things silly, goofy, and immature, then this isn't for you.

zany with a great plot

Author: buzhwa2001 from A², MI
5 February 2005

This movie was totally up to my expectations. I've been a Spongebob fan since its premiere in 1999, so I saw it without paying attention to any of the reviews. I heard a bunch of complaints that the plot didn't have the charisma of the TV episodes and wasn't fast-paced enough. I can't imagine how much more excitement could have been packed into this film, though. If the movie didn't have some absurdity, all the characters would be tied too heavily to the main plot and not able to experience their antics that are the essence of Spongebob Squarepants (such as hilarious obstacles and sporadic musical numbers). The wacky ending captivated kids' attention and made moviegoers over 18 burst into gales of laughter.

You can tell that every show worker had so much fun creating this film. The characters' facial expressions look even more over-the-top than on the show, and the voice acting of Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, and many others is perfect. Plus, David Hasselhoff was a real sport to do that cameo. The backgrounds and scenery are beautifully done (under the art direction of Mr. Nick Jennings, I assume). In April of 2003, TV Guide featured Spongebob on the cover as a show to watch if you're feeling depressed, so you will definitely not feel blue after this movie. =)

Actually, it's quite good..

Author: Kenny Mitchell from Central Scotland
15 February 2005

I have to put my hand up right now and say that the whole Spongebob thing had passed me by up until I saw this movie. I have no kids, no Satellite TV and therefore no legitimate reason to have caught any episodes of SBSP. However, I did see some of the trailers, and being a submarine nut I loved them. I also got the low down from a friend with a youngster who watched the DVD constantly, day after day, and he confessed to loving the show too. What the hell, I thought I'd see the movie.

What do you know, it's actually quite good! It looks almost exactly like an episode on TV, there doesn't appear to have been any attempt to update, enhance or otherwise movie-fy the series. Fair enough. As for the story and characters, while it's obviously geared to a younger audience I'd have to say that at least half of it would only be understood by the more adult viewer, and there are more than a few nods to other movies that no toddler will have seen. For instance, the silent, motorcycle-riding, super-tough assassin is a dead ringer for the silent, motorcycle-riding, super-tough assassin in Raising Arizona, and just as funny. There's a certain amount of slapstick and visual gags, but the dialogue and situations are fine too.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, it's funny and engaging and although it does start to lag a bit in the third act it's still rewarding. I'm not sure if the live-action was a good idea, but it's always fun to see The Hasselhoff do his stuff on screen, even if it's poking fun at his persona. There's laugh out loud moments, annoying songs, cameos, Hasselhoff and all the other things that a one-off special episode should have, and that's fine by me.

Better than I expected!

Author: Candy-Holic
3 February 2006

Okay, I admit it! I'm a big fan of SpongeBob SquarePants TV-series. And when the movie came out, I was more than suspicious. Most movies that have been made out of TV-series have been big disappointments. But I can assure you, this one is not.

If you have ever seen an episode of SpongeBob and liked it, you'll most probably enjoy this film. Even though the movie is mainly directed to kids, as is the TV-series, it will definitely keep adults interested just as well.

Something I especially love in this movie are the characters. In their own way, they're all fun and original. The voice actors do a brilliant job in bringing the characters of Bikini Bottom to life. All the voices fit perfectly and make the movie even funnier! Watching SpongeBob SquarePants the Movie is like watching a long episode of the TV show. And I believe that's just the way we like it! I was scared they were going to make some kind of weird changes to make it more appealing to a wider audience, but I'm glad they kept the spirit of the show.

If you have doubts about whether to see this movie, take my advice; go see it, now!

Well, I liked it

Author: cosmo-18 from Chicago, IL
26 November 2004

I've read some of the extremely negative comments on this film, and I'm surprised. I thought it was cute, funny, and imaginative, with some well-timed dramatic effects (when they cross the county line, the final fate of the woman with ice cream, ...). It even had a Ween song.

If you're curious about the film, I urge you to see it for yourself, and don't be dissuaded by the negative reviews.

BTW, to provide some background, I come from the 'sappy Simpsons = cra**y Simpsons' school, and I used to love Ren and Stimpy until Bill Camp took over.

My wife and I both really liked the film.

Stupid but funny

Author: friedrice6190 from Sailsbury, North Carolina
21 November 2004

Very stupid indeed. But funny. If you are a fan of the TV show then you will get a kick out of the movie. Most of the jokes are aimed for an older audience...mostly teenagers but there are jokes for the younger audience as well. The movie is not as funny as the show but I'm pretty sure that if you see it you will get a kick out of it anyway. When I walked into the theater most of the parents walked in there with a look on their face saying "God, this is going to be horrible, but I love my kids." and when they were in the theater while the movie was playing they laughed harder and they thought they would.

I wouldn't recommend taking your 5 year old to see it, cause like I said most of the jokes are pretty crude. And some of the younger kids I saw looked confused when Mr. Krabs was telling Spongebob he was making a jackass out of himself and when Patrick was wearing hooker tights.

Not for everyone but a very funny movie indeed.

Pure fun!!!

Author: Trevour from Minnesota
23 November 2004

Take the funniest things about Spongebob Squarepants (wacky-anarchist environment and extremely funny animated drawings) and make it an hour-and-a-half long. It's non-stop laughs and plenty of color and all-out craziness. Spongebob and Patrick go off-model so much that it's an eyegasmic delight for the cartoon maniacs out there.

Sooo many entertaining moments. It's literally a laugh-a-minute film... lots of stuff that flies right over the kiddies' heads.

The one thing I didn't like about the movie - the character Mindy (King Neptunes princess daughter). She didn't fit in well with the rest of the character designs - she looks more like a character you would've seen on the Daria animated series.

Also keep an eye out for the big sea creatures' wrestlin' scene with the evil diver... such smooth and precise animation of so many characters at once that I just sat there in pure awe.

Enjoy

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
28 September 2006

SpongeBob finally made it to the big screen and the good thing is - it is nothing less of the TV series, just longer and more fun. Staring SpongeBob and Patrick in search of stolen crown of King Neptune, before he turns Mr. Crab into fried crab.

If you're a fan of the TV series this will not disappoint you at all, and if you're not a fan you will become one. Surprisingly, the movie able to bring all the characteristic and style of the show on to the big screen without trying too hard. It is still the same old SpongeBob, and that what I like about this movie.

The story is consistence and the humor is still fun to watch, there is always something new coming up making it unpredictable. And the original song is brilliantly written and somewhat quite inspiring. SpongeBob still make it big despite being a 2D cartoon cause the animation here is colorfully done.

Overall: I enjoy the whole film, but maybe a little downside on the David Hasselhoff parts. But overall it is an extremely enjoyable film.

Reason To Watch: Finally Able To See SpongeBob In Full Length Movie. Triple The Fun.

Reason Not To: Dislike Real People Acting With Cartoon.

Rating: 7/10 (Grade: B-).

Please Rate (Y/N) After Reading, Thank You.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]