IMDb > Gnomes (1980) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Gnomes (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A classic for any Swede born in the 70's

Author: (limitedmagic@gmail.com) from Stockholm, Sweden
25 February 2005

In the government state TV monopoly, this easily outclassed most Christmas reruns and became a classic for a whole generation, much like Ivanhoe did just a couple of years later.

"Bränn, bränn" "Mamma, jag har mejat ner en hel tomtearmé"

And also the amazing slow walk of the trolls over the Bridge. Actually, I think LOTR had the same problem (just walk to the side to avoid the freaking flood, damn it)... but here it is much worse. Also, the trolls seemed pretty helpless against the superior intelligence of the gnomes, but that is perhaps not a worry with a children TV thing. Anyway, it is great fun and now my daughter is enjoying it as well :-)

Fantasy Comedy at its best...

Author: jonasjobbar from Stockholm
10 November 2003

Brilliant comedy for most ages an extremely funny little film about Gnomes facing an invasion of Trolls when they are preparing a wedding. I have only experienced it with Swedish soundtrack, but it really fun...

Loved it as a kid .Still love it now.

Author: Merklin from United Kingdom
12 August 2005

There are a lot of things i used to watch as a kid that just haven't stood the test of time .Thankfully, Gnomes isn't one of them .

The story ,while basic , has a nice,warm,easy going vibe to it and the characters are likable , whether they be evil trolls and kind gnomes.

The character designs and backgrounds are incredibly detailed and add realism to the story book trappings.

What i liked in particular were the little bits where the story would take a break to show these beautifully painted pictures of the gnomes getting on with their day to day lives accompanied by narration explaining what the got up to .

Gnomes is a great cartoon thats easy on the eye and is as gently entertaining as it always was.

Fantastic cartooned gnomes made in a humoristic but educational way in fiction history.

Author: Henrik Lugn from Sweden
29 November 2006

Swedish Christmas TV cult classic. The rights for this movie is not public domain, so there is no way to get a copy from SVT (Sveriges Television). The company that own the copyright have bankrupted and SVT cant provide anyone with a copy. Picture and sound is in VHS quality, if not taken from master tape (DD 2.0) or remastered of some kind.

Anyway, it is something that we all remember in Sweden. Really great cartooned gnomes.

It is something grown up people imitate in bar's and generally age 20-40 pretty much everyone knows this movie, and remember the great adventure it was to watch it.

Im lucky to own a remastered copy of this. I strongly recommend this to everyone that have kids, it contains the right way of humor to learn kids, and of course you grown up will have a good laugh to *wink*.

A special, but slightly cheesy, childhood memory!

Author: charliesmiff from United Kingdom
19 December 2004

This is a beautifully animated film that I haven't seen for over 15 years as my little brother taped over it! I remember it was very funny and colourful, some of it was quite psychedelic and hazily dreamlike. There was a 70s style soundtrack that made me cringe a bit- even back then- but secretly I loved the songs! I remember a Siberian gnome who came to attend the wedding (...and it's a fa-la-la-la sing-a- long wedding day...) who was very funny, got drunk a lot and fell about. The disgusting enemies, the trolls, were brilliant characters- hated everything, even each other- and I remember one troll looking into her cracked up mirror, tying her hair back with a worm and saying in a haggish voice, "just beautifying myself". Loved it- want it- where can I get it!? If anyone has a copy for sale or knows of where I can get it please let me know, Thankyou.