IMDb > 50 First Dates (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
50 First Dates

50 First Dates More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Never mind the sucky parts, this is what love is

Author: SPQ from Finland
19 November 2005

See, I am a married man. And watching this movie, at home on the sofa with my wife whom I love above anything and hopefully always will, almost brought me to tears and easily did her. This movie, no matter all the overdone/overacted characters and the fact that Adam Sandler is probably the worst person in the world the act crying, is simply the best description of love ever. To have the energy to every day win over the heart of the one you love, is what we all should do, though ever so often don't have the energy to.

I believe that movie criticism often nitpicks too much on technical details or other such stuff of -actually- little importance. Show me a person who is not moved by this film and I show you a person who knows zip about real love. Real, I mean. I am not a religious person and this made me feel closer to what people often call God, whatever that is. Maybe I exaggerate, but I want to. And no work of art, of any genre, can be asked to do any more. On scale of 1 to 10, this goes to 11. (Can you see?!)

This is what you call a 'feel-good' film

Author: EvilNeverDies from United Kingdom
23 November 2005

The basic storyline of 50 First Dates: Henry Roth lives in Hawaii and spend his time wooing women who are visiting the island, simply because there is little chance of commitment. Then he meets Lucy Whitmore. One day they hit it off, and the next she doesn't even recognise him. It turns out that she suffers from short-term memory loss, and every day he tries to win her over once more. Firstly, I have to say that 50 First Dates is a really funny film. It isn't overly stupid, but it's not subtle either. But underneath the humour is where I believe this film's true beauty lies. It shows love in a way that I have never seen in another film before. From the way that her family sacrifices everything to keep her happy, and blissfully unaware of her condition, to Henry who, despite the fact that he could have just about any woman that he wanted, decides that he wants to be with Lucy, regardless of the fact that he has to meet her for the first time every day. Henry's character undergoes somewhat of a transformation in front of our eyes. The film starts off with him coming across as somewhat of a pig (well, to us women anyway :)), and by the end of the film, we truly admire him. He even sacrifices his dream so that he can be with Lucy, and help her to move on with her life. The film isn't really predictable, either. For example, I spent the entire films assuming that the ending would be somewhat different. Although romcoms almost always have happy endings, this one damn near had me in tears. And it wasn't even sad. I never knew what a feel-good film was until I saw this...highly recommended.

I Enjoyed it.

Author: jfwhelan from England
28 January 2005

This is quite simply a very enjoyable film. It's not, perhaps, a great film, but it is fun and it left me feeling pleasantly content. Basically this is a romantic comedy about a man (Henry) and a woman (Lucy) who meet and fall in love, there is just one problem: Lucy won't remember, tomorrow.

It is easy to pick holes in films and yes there are things wrong with this film:-

- The first 5 to 10 minutes do seem a little out of place: I understand the need to set the scene, but couldn't help feeling that the pace and characterisations didn't quite fit with what was to come.

- Some of the characters take away from the story: Doug (Sean Astin) is a little over done and comes across as more damaged than his sister. Perhaps the worst, though, is Henry's female (?) assistant: this character was a mistake and did not belong in the film.

In the end, these flaws don't matter: the film is enjoyable and that is what counts.

The plot, even if somewhat contrived, is clever and in the context of the film believable: there is a good beginning, middle and surprisingly satisfying end. Some of the difficult aspects of the film are not ignored but properly dealt with. Clearly it is easy to read a sordid side into the idea of a man meeting a beautiful woman each day in the knowledge that she will forget everything and they can start again tomorrow. This is covered and Henry is asked some pointed questions; without giving anything away, his answers worked and leave us, the audience, able to enjoy the film, without any unpleasant nagging doubts or feelings of guilt.

Don't analyse or pick holes; just watch this film. Chances are very good that you will enjoy it. It is a fantasy a bit of escapism: a first rate piece of entertainment and hopefully it will leave you, as it did me, feeling pleasantly content.

Amazingly Good

Author: Bob-45 from Savannah, GA
25 June 2004

Take a little "Memento," Add a generous helping of "Groundhog Day," and even a little of "Sommersby" and you have "50 First Dates". Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler create a synergy that neither has been able to capture with anyone else. Together, they produce a romantic team comparable to Gere and Roberts, Day and Hudson, Grant and Loren and Tracy and Hepburn. My wife and I watch "The Wedding Singer" at least once a year. While "50 First Dates" is a superior movie, I don't know if I can take the melancholy ending again.

For once I'm grateful for the Khamakazee antics of Sandler's acting ensemble, particulary Sean Astin and Rob Schneider. If Schneider wasn't playing such a farcial role, he would be a natural for an Oscar. Certainly the animals add a lot to the farce. The goofy humor makes the basically tragic scenario not only bearable but almost pleasant. It's also genuinely funny.

Sandler convincingly plays a marine biologist(!!!)in Hawaii who enjoys "entertaining" the "mainlanders." Sandler doesn't date "locals". He wants nothing to interfere with his dream of studying walruses. He discovers Barrymore having breakfast in a local bar and grill. What captures Sandler's attention, even more than her beauty, is Barrymore's creativity. What Sandler doesn't know is that Barrymore has brain damage. The brain cells which move short term memory to long term storage are destroyed. She forgots everything she's learned during the day while she sleeps. So, Sandler, the lothario who forgots his relationships with mainlanders after one week finds himself in love with a woman who forgets hers in 24 hours. That's writing genius, something you don't see very often, and Sandler, Barrymore, and Sandler's acting troupe handle it perfectly.

Though my wife is physically handicapped, my mother has severe short term memory loss. So, I really related to the trajedy so expertly portrayed in "50 First Dates". It's not often I give a movie that leaves me this sad a "10". The last time, I believe, was "Sommersby". Nonetheless, "50 First Dates" is a "10," since there is nothing about it I can suggest that make it better.

P.S. Looking forward to the NEXT Sandler/Barrymore collaboration.

A very entertaining film

Author: marmac2768 from Mobile, Alabama
14 November 2004

When "50 First Dates) came to theaters, I really wasn't interested enough to go see it. When it came out on video, I waited about 2 months to see it until it came down to the $1.99 rental price.

Was I surprised! This movie was so entertaining to me, that I wound up buying it. I only buy about 5 or 6 videos a year, so you can see that I really must have enjoyed it. It won't win any Oscars, but it will make you feel good when you watch it.

I am familiar with the condition that Lucy has here having a cousin who has a similar problem and has had it for several years. I was really concerned with how a production company can play a condition like that for laughs, but, somehow, they pulled it off. They treated the subject matter with dignity showing that the people who have this terrible condition can (and do) have somewhat normal lives. My cousin does it the diary way. She doesn't lose her memory everyday, but at different times. She has gone as long as 3 months in retaining her memory and has lost it on other occasions after 4 hours.

I am not a big Adam Sandler fan, having always thought he was a bit "over the top" in his other films. I thought he was going to do this in this film as well after the first few minutes of the movie. However, when he is shown in the diner with Lucy, he shows that he is really a nice guy who, deep down, wants to find a relationship that is fulfilling with a pretty girl.

Drew Berrymore is another actress that I don't particularly care for most of the time, but she is really a sweetheart playing Lucy. She is just so lovable in this role, it's hard to believe that she has the Demons in her past.

Rob Schneider is very good in his supporting role as is Sean Astin as Doug, the 'roid raging brother of Lucy.

Again, not an Oscar winner, but well worth the $15 or so to purchase it at WalMart.

Marty

A Movie For All Seasons

Author: James Bourke (Canadianbacon1971@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
14 April 2005

Lets face it, when Adam Sandler needs a hit movie, who is he going to call, Drew Barrymore of course, and indeed why not, after the sentimental success of The Wedding Singer, anything these two bright young things appeared in together would be nothing short of pure gold.

A perfect case in point is 50 First Dates. Now as a rule i would never break out in a fever to go see anything with Adam Sandler's name attached to it, however i broke the rule when i first went to see The Wedding Singer, which contained many charming and heartfelt moments, as well as the comedic, aside from that one the only other film of note on Sandler's resume for me anyway has been Billy Madison.

Like all good things that come to pass, in between the misses more than hits, along comes the last to date pairing of Sandler and Barrymore. A movie i missed on it's theatre run but more than made up for it by viewing on DVD then subsequently purchasing it.

A lighthearted take on the notion of amnesia, with the emphasis clearly billed around a love story. We watch as local Hawaiian vet, Henry Roth, played by Sandler stumbles through existence, dating and dumping female holidaymakers, all the while searching for that perfect one. Into his life comes Lucy played rather charmingly by Drew Barrymore.

Of course loves young dream could never run smoothly, remember we have 95 minutes running time on this movie, So as soon as they have met and broke bread, the dawning of a new day arrives, but not without it's hitch. Without giving too much away, just in case their might be someone out there who hasn't seen this film, regardless of the hiccups that ensue throughout.

We are party to many highlights, which include Rob Schneider as Henry Roth's less than able sidekick Ula, Jocko the Sea lion and many many more. I personally never tire of watching it, not to the extent of reaching fifty times but i do regard it as a breath of fresh air, even if Adam Sandler parlays his usual bag of comedic tricks, but hey the late great Chris Farley did the same and it worked.

Truly a movie for all seasons, and a must if you are in a relationship. A resounding 10 out of 10 and that is saying something for a movie with Adam Sandler in it!

More than what you think.

Author: Courtney from United States
2 October 2005

This movie is so much more than what you think! It takes you on an emotional roller coaster. It is both hilarious and touching.

I would recommend this to anyone that likes comedies or romantic comedies. I wouldn't recommend it for children, though. Some of the humor is too mature.

Even if you're not an Adam Sandler fan, you'll love him in this. Same goes for Drew Barrymore.

I love this movie, and I didn't think I would. The movie turned out to be more than what I thought. And it will be more than what you think, too!

The fish doctor

Author: jotix100 from New York
2 January 2005

Not being an Adam Sandler fan, we avoided this film when it was released earlier last year. The premise sounded too much like "Groundhog Day". We took a chance the other night when it was shown on cable, and frankly, we found the movie entertaining. There are more laughs in this than in another, perhaps more pretentious picture, "Punch Drunk Love".

Drew Barrymore and Mr. Sandler had worked together before to surprisingly good results. They show an easy chemistry between them that serves the movie well. The idea of making Adam Sandler an aquarium doctor offers a lot of possibilities; his scenes with the walrus are hilarious.

The supporting cast plays well together. A surprise was Rob Schneider, not one of my favorite actors, either, but in here, under the direction of Peter Segal, he delivers. Sean Astin, as the lisping brother on steroids is quite effective, as well as Blake Clark, as Lucy's father. Dan Aykroyd puts an appearance as the doctor who treats the young woman who has lost her long term memory.

Watch it without any preconceptions, as probably it will surprise you.

Hilarious

Author: christian123
24 January 2005

50 First Dates is a very funny movie and for Sandler its one of his best. Adam Sandler plays Henry Roth, a womanizing marine biologist afraid to commit, who falls for the woman of his dreams, played by Drew Barrymore. Unfortunately, she has a brain disorder that makes her forget everything that happened the day before whenever she falls asleep, so every day, he needs to win her over and make her fall in love with him anew. The plot is nothing new as this movie is a cross between Memento and Groundhog Day both very good movies. What makes this movie work is the chemistry between Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler since they work so great together and make the film fun and also this film is better then Sandler's last effort Anger Management. Sandler is great in this film and he is one of the funniest comedians around today. Drew Barrymore is very good in her role as Lucy and she makes up for the horrible Duplex. The supporting cast is also very good with the best being Sean Austin. Rob Schneider has a small role in this film but he still manages to draw some laughs. The last main part of the cast is Dan Aykroyd and his role isn't very memorable. This movie has good intentions and some sad moments like when Lucy finds out she can never have her memory restored or when she sees pictures of herself from the accident. However, there's also some gross humor so I think this movie can appeal to everyone under the age of 21. Rating 8/10 one of the funniest movies of the year and a must see if you want a good comedy.

Slow start, wonderful ending

Author: steffanie1988 from Apeldoorn, the Netherlands
6 May 2005

Let me start this review by admitting that Adam Sandler is at the bottom of my 'funny people'-list. The guy just doesn't do anything for me. I don't think he's funny at all. I think Drew Barrymore is absolutely hilarious though and she carries every single movie she makes.

The first ten minutes of the movie are awful. Every cliché in the books passes us and Adam Sandler is simply horrible. After the first ten minutes something changes though. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe I learned to appreciate the humor or maybe the movie got funnier, I don't know, but...what a great movie it is.

I won't bore you with the story of the movie, but this is it in a nutshell: Henry (Adam Sandler) meets Lucy (Drew Barrymore) in a diner and the two really connect. The next day she doesn't remember him though and Henry finds out that due to a car accident, Lucy suffers from short memory loss. Meaning that everyday she wakes up under the impression that it's still the day of the car accident. She does the same thing every day, over and over again, not remembering what she did the day before. Henry believes Lucy is worth fighting for and every single day he manages to make Lucy fall in love with him. He hopes one day she will wake up and remember him. This of course never happens. He stays true to her though and the two get married and have a daughter.

What surprised me about the movie is that it's definitely not just a comedy. Sure, it's funny at points and even hilarious sometimes (Like ten-second Tom for example), but...it's just very romantic. There's just something deep behind the whole idea of 'falling in love with someone over and over again'. This movie deals with that in the literal sense and there's just something beautiful about that.

Conclusion: Drew Barrymore shines as always in this movie that goes a little deeper than your average romantic comedy. And Adam Sandler? He's not all that bad.

I give this movie 8/10 stars. I loved it.

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]