IMDb > "The Agatha Christie Hour" (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Agatha Christie Hour" More at IMDbPro »

Loved this series!

Author: cdrivanova from San Francisco Bay Area
24 April 2006

I've been in an Agatha Christie phase for a bit and remembered having seen this series on TV. It was great because it wasn't the traditional Marple/Poirot/Tommy & Tuppence story, but some of Dame Agatha's lesser known characters. I *really really* wish that this set would come out on DVD because I'd snap it up in an instant.

For those wondering which stories were included in this series, here's the list:

1 The Case of the Middle-Aged Wife

7 The Mystery of the Blue Jar

8 The Red Signal

9 Jane in Search of a Job

10 The Manhood Of Edward Robinson

If this ever comes on TV again, enjoy! It's worth watching.

Beautifully made series, though not all of the stories are equally gripping

Author: gridoon2014
19 July 2010

Once you get past the shot-on-video look (it only took me about 5 minutes in the first episode), this is a beautifully produced, elegantly costumed and set, well-acted (with only one notable exception, which I will mention below) series, based on 10 short stories that Agatha Christie wrote without any of her famous sleuths present (although Hercule Poirot's good friend Ariadne Oliver, the mystery writer, makes an appearance, and Poirot's secretary, Miss Lemon, makes two). 5 out of the 10 stories ("The Case Of The Discontented Soldier", "The Girl In The Train", "Jane In Search Of A Job", "The Case Of The Middle-Aged Wife", "The Manhood Of Edward Robinson") are lighter in tone and follow a similar pattern: an ordinary man or woman, who suddenly finds him/herself, either by request or by chance, caught up in an extraordinary adventure which adds excitement but also danger to their quiet lives. These episodes are pleasant but slight, and to be honest "The Case Of The Middle-Aged Wife" is almost dull, and "The Manhood Of Edward Robinson" suffers from the annoyingly exaggerated portrayal of a dork by its male lead. The other 5 episodes are, in my opinion, considerably stronger: "Magnolia Blossom" (an atypical love triangle tale that's more about personal integrity than love), "In A Glass Darkly" (a dark story about predetermined fate and post-war trauma), "The Mystery Of The Blue Jar" (a supernatural tale - or maybe just a long con), "The Red Signal" (the series' only traditional who-dun-it, but also who-will-it-be-done-to), and my personal favorite, "The Fourth Man" (a haunting tale about split personalities (?), possession (?), paranoia (?), science vs. religion, and growing up). Overall, "The Agatha Christie Hour" is well worth your time if you are a Christie buff, just don't expect all the stories to be on the same level of interest. I give the series as a whole *** out of 4.

Christie Earlier Shorts With a Lighter Touch in General

Author: misctidsandbits from United States
8 June 2014

I deem these excellent because I am a thoroughgoing Christie fan who owns all her books and stories (except Hazelmore, aka Sittaford, which dealt heavily in the supernatural unacceptable to me as entertainment). I have also seen a large percentage of the film and TV adaptations and overall appreciate those. With that background, it is a treat to recently find out about this TV series featuring some of the very early short stories, most of which I have read. With the usual English quality dramatization and casting, this proved a very interesting series. As pointed out by another reviewer and from a background special feature in one of the video sets, the "pre-Poirot" stories, as they put it, introducing Miss Lemon and Adriane Oliver was a treat. I also knew from having read these that Christie didn't get around to concentrated full mystery books until later and that she had a sense of humor. This set depicts her earlier period and well, I thought. Overall, a veddy good show.