IMDb > Along Came Polly (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Along Came a Good Laugh

Author: brooke-25 from Toronto
27 June 2004

The story's not overly engaging, but for some reason Along Came Polly is fun. Ben Stiller just has that knack of being able to embarass himself and we love him for it. You can't help but laugh. But the film is worth a look for Philip Seymour Hoffman, too, as the child actor still looking for recognition -- and work. The basketball court scene is great, but the best is his performance with a community theatre's production of Jesus Christ Superstar. If you've ever been in community theatre, or you've hung out with actors, you'll appreciate this.

The other Ben & Jen

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
21 January 2004

ALONG CAME POLLY (2004) *** Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Debra Messing, Bryan Brown, Hank Azaria, Michele Lee, Bob Dishy, Alec Baldwin, Missi Pyle. Stiller gives another of his patented hapless schmuck romantics turns as newlywed risk management assessor whose marriage is on the rocks when his wife (Messing) has an affair on their honeymoon, sending him back to NYC to assess his life and runs into former junior high friend Aniston who knocks him for a loop despite her flaky demeanor. Frequently funny and evenly paced by writer and first-time director John Hamburg the laughs come often and no thanks to Hoffman as Stiller's sloven has-been actor buddy and Baldwin as his vulgar boss. Despite the toilet humor (surprisingly in somewhat good taste if you can call it that) the film does have a heart and Stiller and Aniston make for a cute couple.

This movie is hilarious

Author: thedivas-1 from United States
16 June 2005

I thought this was about a silly romance, so I didn't see it when it first came out. I rented the DVD and I liked it so much I watched it again with my daughter two nights later. I should have known Ben Stiller wouldn't do a totally "straight" movie, but the comedy wasn't so over the top either. It was a perfect blend of comedy and sincerity. One of the stand-out performances came from Hank Azaria. His portrayal of the French scuba instructor, Claude, was a scene-stealer. One of the funniest characters I've seen in a long time. I recommend this as a perfect date movie, or if you're just sitting at home and want to LOL! Be sure to check out the gag reel.

A funny and cute comedy with 'Ben and Jen'

Author: Dingataca from London, England
16 January 2008

Along Came Polly is not a masterpiece in the rom-com genre, but I did enjoy it, and although the humour is sometimes gross, it does make you laugh. However I would not consider this to be one of those movies to watch again and again. A one time watch, or just once every so often is good enough.

Reuben Feffer (Ben Stiller) analyses risk for a living and is an extremely cautious man, with an extremely cautious life. When he marries Lisa (Debra Messing), everyone considers them the perfect couple, as they are well suited to one another. But when Lisa cheats on him on their honeymoon with their Frenchie-French scuba diving instructor Claude (Hank Azaria...BUFFED UP!), Reuben's heart breaks. He returns to New York and bumps into Polly Prince (Jennifer Aniston), and they begin dating, despite being very different. Polly lives in the moment, Reuben thinks ahead. Polly loves ethnic food, Reuben hates it. Polly isn't too big with long-term relationships, whereas Reuben swears by it. Nevertheless their relationships seems to work. But when Lisa comes crawling back to Reuben, he is forced to make a decision. Who will it be, the free-spirited Polly, or Lisa, with whom Reuben shares a lot in common?

I thought this movie was very cute and I liked the ferret :). Ben Stiller's performance was not outstanding in this movie but he did play Reuben well, and to be honest I cannot imagine another actor as Reuben at all. He has a very identifiable voice and the knack of just being plain adorable. I would not say he owned the movie, like he usually does, but he certainly was very good. Jennifer Aniston was also just over average. I loved her in Friends, Bruce Almighty, but sadly I don't think she did as well as she could have. But her role was smaller than I would have thought. I really liked her character Polly Prince though, and I think this was because Polly was so much like myself. The last-minute planning, being untidy, liking ethnic food, the hunting for keys...all of this screamed 'ME' all the way through, and I thought Polly was a very realistic and likable character. Hank Azaria was so cute as Claude! Okay, so he was meant to be the villain, but come on, he's BUFF. He has a six pack and the French accent was just amazing. He is really talented if he can do about 5 different voices in 'The Simpsons' and then the Frenchiest French accent ever, here. Debra Messing made a small role as Lisa but she wasn't anything great, Philip Seymour Hoffman was hilarious as Sandy Lyle. I thought the character was gross, but very likable.

Not the best from Stiller or Aniston, but still delivers laughs.

Funny, but not the funniest...

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
7 January 2006

Once again, Ben Stiller gives us yet another comedy, about love, life and being an adult nerd. Yet, this sadly doesn't hold a candle to 'Something About Mary', which may have been his best movie of his career.

We begin the film, seeing Reuben (Stiller) marrying Lisa (Messing). After their reception they head to St. Bartes, for their honeymoon. While on the beach they meet a French scuba instructor who has offered to take them out on his boat. Rebuen declines because he has a nervous stomach, but he insists that his beautiful new bride go, to make her happy. When he returns later that day to the boat, he finds his wife cheating on him. Upset, and hurt, he flies home, depressed that he has not only lost his wife, but now has decisions to deal with because of hers.

Enter Polly. Several days after he returns to New York, his friend takes him to a party where he runs into a waitress (Aniston), whom he went to school with when he was in junior high. He calls her the next day and asks her out. Throughout the rest of the film, he learns how to deal with his phobias, irritations and just how to cut loose.

Each time I see this film, it somehow has the opposite effect on me as most, where as normally I grow to love the film more and more, each time I see it, this one actually, seems to get worse and worse with each viewing. It is funny, and it's not a bad film at all, it's clever and cute, it's just that it does tend to lose flavor each time you see it.

Aniston and Stiller were equally good in this, and I still recommend it. It's a light comedy, and not at all like, 'The Cable Guy' or 'There's Something About Mary'. So, if you're looking for films that were as dark or adult as those, you won't find it here. But, it still is cute and clever in its own way, so it might still be worth a watch. Plus, Alec Baldwin plays a small part, which is not to be missed.

Along came an Aniston rom-com

Author: oscarbreath from United States
9 February 2004

Add me to the list of folks who saw this film under duress, since some friends were going and I decided to tag along just to see them. I was pleasantly surprised at this film, since I'm no big Stiller fan and can take or leave Aniston (having just seen one of her previous rom-coms Picture Perfect).

It's a by-the-numbers, perfectly acceptable opposites-attract rom-com, with an unfortunate overlay of gross-out humor that seems to have been added by someone along the way to change the tone of the film. But this gross-out stuff is loaded towards the start, so once it's out of the way the two stars can get back to business - which is pushing and pulling each other until Stiller can "see the light." Interesting how there's no attempt to show that Aniston's character has to or is interested in changing, it all comes from Stiller's character, who frankly is in a fine position in his life and really doesn't need the "wildness" that Aniston is supposed to represent.

I was impressed by how they handle the wandering-wife-comes-back storyline, she presents herself quite humbly and asks for forgiveness and frankly he would have been better off going to counseling with her and getting on with his life in suburbia. But hey, everyone knows (in movies, anyway) that you're supposed to spend your life with the person who's least like you. Har de har har, good luck to that!

A very funny movie!

Author: Morganella
16 January 2004

I am surprised at the comments that I have read so far that suggest this is a boring or mediocre movie. All that I know is that I am a 46 year old married mother, and I just spent 90 minutes laughing out loud (too loud sometimes) and smiling. I can imagine that if you are easily offended by fart ( or "shart") jokes or the shiny hiney's of Ben Stiller or Hank Azaria, you may not like this movie. But really, then, why would you go in the first place? I was definitely not bored. The characters were all so much fun- the kind of creepy boss, the obnoxious but extremely lovable best friend, the risk expert who finds something to worry about in any situation, the goofy, scatterbrained ferret- owning waitress/creepy children's book author, the australian who likes to free fall off of tall buildings, the priceless scuba instructor, and the very cute salsa dancer. Anyway, I loved it , and I'll probably even go see it again.

95 minutes of laughters!

Author: jchampne from Palo Alto, CA
16 January 2004

I went to see this movie with an open mind, thinking another silly comedy, no it is not that. "Along came Polly" is just plain funny from beginning to end. It has been a long time since a movie makes me laugh so much. I needed that! may be, we do not get emotionally involved with the main characters, but it is as well, we all went through the kind of experiences that Reuben lives, and I don't have the need to feel them again, I know ... and, this is what makes the movie hilarious. Alec Baldwin is totally surprising, I won't say more...The movie theatre was jammed packed, at the end, the audience erupted with a huge bravo and cheers. A movie not to miss : "Along came Polly" is a 10+!

funny and good

Author: jenniferclaireking from United Kingdom
17 August 2006

i thought this film was really well scripted and acted i thought it was very funny and is a must watch. if you don't already have this movie should definitely go buy or rent it i couldn't stop laughing all the way through i think you would enjoy this if you like my super ex-girlfriend ,bresk-up and other comedy/chick flicks. the film shows a married couple who break up on there honeymoon after the wife is caught in bed with a scuba diving instructor. then after Reuben Feffer(Ben Stiller) gets home he meets old class mate Polly (jennifer aniston) and falls in love with her that is all OK until the wife comes back and tries to take back Reuben feffer

Two thumbs up

Author: digitallars from United Arab Emirates
11 January 2005

Hilarious movie with excellent play from Ben Stiller... Ben Stiller plays a "Risk analyst" (and he is the most cautious man on earth, quote: "you don't eat mixed nuts on a bar everybody knows that" and "I don't take the subway home because you a 1 to 45000 risk to get into a serious accident") and the first day of his honeymoon his wife cheats on him...And along came Polly, an old friend from school. And Polly isn't quite the one she used to be... Sure there are many clichés but that isn't really important. Mr.Deeds meets What women want... A lot of funny scenes... Jennifer Aniston as Polly Prince Ben Stiller as Reuben Feffer

10/10 Grrrrrrrrrreat movie