IMDb > The Station Agent (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Station Agent

The Station Agent More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Channel surfing treasure

Author: dgomen from United States
18 December 2011

I am not going to go into any detail on the story itself. All I want to say is I was channel surfing and caught this right at the beginning. And I can not explain why exactly, but was instantly fascinated and involved in the movie. This is a rare kind of movie, watch it you won't regret it!

The acting was fantastic! Every character is unique but also easily relatable. The story line and speed of the film was perfect. It brings a lot of emotions out and also very thought provoking on so many levels you almost need to be prepared for all the after thought when the credits roll.

Witty and honest character film; loses a little steam near the end

Author: pc95 from San Diego
20 May 2007

The Station Agent is simplistic and honest - it's supposedly a comedy, but it's more of a drama with comedic elements. It's a character movie, with people who are trying to hash out living ordinary lives and problems. In the center of the movie the camera follows the life and move of a dwarf named Fin. The filmmakers are interested in the social contexts that this presents as he moves. This gets played up in several scenes, but the themes of the movie are loneliness and friendship. I enjoyed especially the first 3/4 of the movie as the quirky friendship sort of mixes together oddly between the 3 leads - until the movie tries to intensify a conflict and resolution. That sort of shifted the tone a little harshly/forcibly. Nonetheless it's a good movie with some funny scenes, honest dialogue, and nice dynamics between characters. Worth a watch if you don't mind the slow pace. I didn't mind it.

An Enjoyable Masterpiece

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
27 March 2013

I found this gem of a film on the PBS station but I never saw the entire film until now. I still love it because it's different from most films today. It's realistic and that's great. I adore and admire Peter Dinklage's quiet complex performance as a train expert who moves to small town of Newfoundland, New Jersey after he inherits a station house from his friend and business partner in a Hoboken train shop. He moves there to start a new life. It's quite and isolated but his adaptation and his relationships with Joe, the guy from New York City, who runs his father's hot dog truck aside the station and Olivia, the artist and divorcée. The film plot is quite simple and complex at the same time. Michelle Williams plays a local librarian. Olivia is brilliantly played by Patricia Clarkson. Peter Dinklage should have earned an Academy Award nomination for his performance. The three unlikely friends of Fin McBride, Olivia, and Bobby is a story in itself. They are so different and so alike at the same time. This is one of my favorite films just to watch all on it's own.

small wonder

Author: markandkarenfitz
13 July 2012

This is one of those real treats; a totally "out of nowhere" set of characters and a circumstance that generates really offbeat relationships and events. Sort of like the spin off movies that tried to emulate Pulp Fiction with a swarm of interrelating characters; but this time without the contrived action. Every character is interesting. Michelle Williams is terrific. As are the others but lets talk about Peter Dinklage. He is superb. His delivery and reactions are perfect; simply perfect. His stature is immaterial. I know it sounds insincere of me to say so. Clearly I am aware of his dwarfism. In this film his stature is material to the plot but immaterial to how he comports himself. I've seen him in at least one film where the dwarfism is not a plot device but is exploited as a comic device. And he was still great. In this film he is every bit as tall (taller really) than all his acquaintances. I hope he continues to find great roles.

There is a lot of funny stuff in the film. And wow.... this little gem made some money too!!!!

A nice, original story

Author: FilmOtaku (ssampon@hotmail.com) from Milwaukee, WI
4 October 2004

'The Station Agent', written and directed by Tom McCarthy, is the story of a model train store worker, Fin (Peter Dinklage) who discovers after his friend and employer dies that he has left him a broken down and abandoned train station in the small town of Newfoundland, New Jersey. Being a loner, Fin jumps at the opportunity to go someplace new and quiet, so he decides to live in the station. Soon after arriving, he meets Joe (Bobby Cannavale) who runs a hot dog and coffee truck for his dad in front of the station, as well as meeting a distracted woman, Olivia (Patricia Clarkson) an artist who is mourning the death of her son. The three eventually end up striking up an unusual friendship, while dealing with their own personal issues.

The New York Times described 'The Station Agent' as 'hilarious' and 'appetizing', and while I agree that it is a good film, I certainly wouldn't describe it as 'hilarious'. I may have chuckled a few times, but I found the film to be more of a drama by far than a comedy. The absolute breakout star of the film is Dinklage, who is incredibly engaging, charismatic and talented. His performance completely drew me in, and made what could have just been a mediocre film into a good one. The concept of having a dwarf as the leading man in a film that doesn't adhere to vicious stereotypes is obviously an original one, and it really worked out well in this case.

'The Station Agent' is a quiet little film that was unusual enough to make up for a fairly basic plot. Clarkson is always great in everything she does, but Dinklage is the one to watch in this film; he is absolutely fantastic. 7/10

--Shelly

Wonderful cinematic experience

Author: telemahos (agent cooper) from Greece / Uk
27 February 2005

Words take too much space.

The viewing of this movie is hardly captured in text. It slowly entered my imaginary list of most favourite films-experiences, in the same personal and charming way it rolled over on the screen... A beautiful look at the way people feel like and make sense of themselves... especially when their own individuality is solely constructed in the eyes of the others (anatomical differences do not carry with them a social meaning), but still this individuality remains a matter of personal negotiation for truth and balance.

The acting is superb by the three main heroes, the music and direction a kind compliment for the senses, the ending will leave you wanting more...

surreal little gem

Author: TheNorthernMonkee from Manchester
16 December 2004

SPOILERS A passion for trains is often regarded as one of the more awkward of interests. In films like "The Station Agent" however, these obscure passions allows us to appreciate and understand characters who we'd normally find it difficult to connect with.

Peter Dinklage plays Finbar McBride. Living in the city, Fin lives his day experiencing the insults and humiliation which people hand out to people of his short stature. When his best friend dies however, Fin is left an old train station in the will. Travelling to this rural, remote area, he meets new friends Joe (Bobby Cannavale) and Olivia (Patricia Clarkson). Slowly learning more about himself as the three outsiders bond, Fin slowly begins to come out of his shell.

"The Station Agent" is a very strange film. Containing brilliant performances by Dinklage and Clarkson, it thrives with energy whilst remaining quite slow. At times it seems to be bursting with plot and then suddenly nothing will happen for a while. At less than ninety minutes, this would be a bad thing if we didn't feel for the characters so much.

Perhaps the key part about this film is that it reminds all of us who have ever felt isolated. We feel we're being watched and talked about, when often it's pure paranoia. Dinklage's character spends so much of the film feeling paranoid that it's hard to differentiate between whether he's imagining it or it's really happening. Either way, it's easy to associate with the character.

With it's wonderful little script, and some superb acting, "The Station Agent" makes the audience smile as we experience the highs and the lows of the characters and we connect with them. Whilst it's not a perfect film, it's still an entertaining little feature which grips us and makes us smile.

My Favorite Movie

Author: sonfulsonja from West Coast
16 December 2015

With so many action movies about fantasy land, I was struck by the simplicity, fine acting and subtle humor of this movie. Peter Dinklage is adorable and one of the finest actors of our time. All three main actors are superb. Joe, the food truck driver is a hoot and endearing in such an innocent way. Olivia, is tortured, but yet warm and kind. Her performance in the film was a 10. A combination of a fine writing met with outstanding performers.

In summary without giving away too much, it is the unlikely friendship that develops among three very different strangers. It is a heartwarming and a beautiful story.

I like to tell people I discovered Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones) back in 2003 before anyone knew his name. A must see.

Fantastic Kickback and relax movie

Author: cleverarty from Bahrain
21 December 2014

The Station Agent is a Movie that brings so many different yet simple aspects of a quiet life in the middle of 'nowhere' so to speak. The main characters of the movie- Finbar,Joey and Olivia all live or live and work in the small town/village of Newfoundland, NJ. This is a heart warming story about people who meet each other either through accidents or circumstances that they really can't control and fall into friendship that definitely goes beyond words. I really can't put one actor or actress above the other among the above mentioned three. Many people underestimate the role Joey plays, but in my opinion Joey is the glue that keeps them together. 'He is full of life' as Olivia observes. The movie has a fantastic location,soundtrack and overall cinematography. This movie is definitely a fantastic work in just about every aspect and it certainly deserves a 10. Very highly recommended.

Loved It!

Author: flygirl517
3 June 2014

I really liked this movie. It's sweet, emotional, and compassionate. I wish it would have had an ending though, it just sort of faded out from a random scene in their lives. I would assume that they did it to show that life is on going and that they may not get happily-ever-after endings, but I would have liked some kind of resolution. I loved the characters. They were well written and you really feel for them and hope that they find what they are looking for. I was so angry for Finn in some of the movie. It has to be hard to feel different all the time. His physical limitations were really shown in the scene with him and the librarian's boyfriend. You could tell he was frustrated that he couldn't defend her the way he wanted to. The teasing he suffered from the random people in the movie was ridiculous. I'm short (4 feet 10 inches), so I have gotten teased for it before. One girl in my school one year actually asked me if I was a midget. I also look younger than I am so I often get comments about that. I do not have dwarfism, so I can only imagine what it is like for people that really do. I hope that (even though he's a fictional character) Finn can find acceptance in his friends and the others around him.