IMDb > The Work and the Story (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Work and the Story More at IMDbPro »

long

Author: Drewpamon from utah
2 September 2003

this movie has it's funny parts but it is also very long, even though it's only an hour. they focus too much on one of the directors who is very unfunny. it does have it's moments though and you do find yourself laughing quite a bit through out but if they would just eliminate the peter character it would be great.

"There's nothing new under the sun?" You won't see this anywhere else!

Author: MesaHead from United States
27 October 2005

I never thought Mormons could have so much fun making fun of themselves. Explores the love hate relationship that the young and religious of just about any 'fundamentalist' persuasion have. The characters desperately want to be part of the film business but only on the terms dictated by their moral code. As a result they can't burst out of the self imposed bubble they've created and get a little nuts. Yes it is a little long and the jokes aren't always funny. It was produced on a shoe string and it shows. But I love movies about making movies and the concept alone is worth the ride. The book of Ecclesiastes says "there is nothing new under the sun," but you certainly won't see this anywhere else. (I wonder what the elders thought of this?)

The Mormon Cinema Firmament

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
21 May 2012

The Work And The Story takes real movie director Richard Dutcher who did a breakout film for the LDS with God's Army into gentile audiences. Dutcher followed that up with Brigham City which was a decent effort. But this Mockumentary of the disappearance of Dutcher and the possibility of foul play leaves one asking just what did I see?

To be sure this was not a Dutcher film, but it certainly got his imprimatur when he played himself in it.

Dutcher is the colossus of the LDS cinema, equivalent of Cecil B. DeMille in the old Hollywood studio days or as he's called her the Mormon Stephen Spielberg. But the idea of there being more concern over who will take his place in the Mormon Cinema Firmament is a bit much to be asked to swallow.

A few interesting characters are followed and documented in their quest for Mormon cinema glory. Some really interesting egos are not mixed all that well with talent to match. But the comedy left me cold. This Mockumentary style worked so much better for the LDS film Sons Of Provo.

BRILLIANT!!

Author: nathansmithjones from Salt Lake City, UT
17 September 2003

This was the funniest movie I've ever seen. They did a hybrid of a Christopher Guest-type movie and a normal comedy, and made it for Mormons! I love how they made fun of movie Directors. That hasn't been done enough.

Okay, so maybe I'm biased 'cause I MADE the movie. But let it be known that I'm making fun of myself as much as any other Mormon filmmaker.

The DVD will be amazing. Promise.

Enjoy the show!

Nate Jones

I NEVER imagined what you could do with hard-boiled eggs...

Author: Sid Unrau (sidunrau@hotmail.com) from Orem, Utah
2 September 2003

I don't know where to begin; this mo-mockumentary was pretty funny, some of the time, and seemed MUCH longer than it was (about an hour). It had some hilarious moments, was not rude, and charicaturized several show-biz-bitten-Mo-"Steven Spielberg"-types, as well as a few mo-attitudes prevalent in Mo-dom (at least, as rumor has it).

The movie focused on three wannabe mo-Spielbergs and showed off their styles, trials, bits of their work, etc. The others in the film were great. Nobody stunk.

But, as I said, I NEVER imagined what you could do with hard-boiled eggs (or their connection with certain scenes described in the Book of Mormon).

I gave it a six.