IMDb > Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (2003) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Superb Leprechaun movie

Author: savoie_marc from Stittsville, Canada
18 January 2004

This is a great movie! It has some very funny scenes and is one of the best Leprechaun movies out there. The Leprechaun seems much more evil in this one and no longer rhymes but he is still the reason to watch the movie. The deaths, although without the usual amount of gore, are still quite good. This movie will most probably spawn another sequel which will have to live up to this ones expectations. If you want a great Horror/Comedy you have to look no further this installment in the Leprechaun franchise will not disappoint!

Not the best, but an improvement

Author: Sean102218 from Los Angeles, CA
15 January 2004

Leprechaun Back 2 Tha Hood Written and Directed by: Steven Ayromlodi

Yep, everyone's favorite evil elf is back in the 6th installment in this classic horror series.

Parts 4 and 5 are universally viewed as two of the worst movies of all time (Despite them being two films I love, they are admittedly terrible) Steven Ayromlodi was still able to convince someone to give him the money to make a 6th movie.

This time the Lep comes back to the hood in search of his gold once again. This time it is discovered by some down and out friends in the ghetto. They spend their fortunes and have fun...until the little Irish monster shows up and starts killing off the people that took his gold.

Yeah, pretty cookie-cutter..but that's how the whole series is and you can't expect much more. But you gotta give director Ayromlodi credit for pulling out a couple of new turns, and making a solid entry into the series.

I still think 3 is my favorite of the series, but this is definitely an improvement on 4 and 5 in all aspects. Sure, the acting is a bit cheesy at times, and it lacks in the gore department and the kills are less creative, but overall I was satisfied with this movie, and can only hope for a 7th.

Definitely only for fans of the series though.

**/4

Silly, but Funny in Some Moments

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
31 July 2008

The hairdresser Emily Woodrow (Tangi Miller) finds a fortune in golden coins and she shares the amount with her close friends. However, the owner is the evil Leprechaun (Warwick Davis) that returns from Hell to get his treasure back, killing each member of the greedy group.

"Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood" is silly, but funny in some moments. The problem is that the pothead and drug-dealer characters are non-likable and extremely ambitious, with the exception of Emily and Lisa; therefore the devilish Leprechaun becomes not as bad as he should be. The scene with the leg of the policeman is hilarious. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "O Duende Perverso" ("The Wicked Leprechaun")

Only hardcore fans may find merit in this film.

Author: Crazyfarts from Australia
3 June 2006

The evil Leprechaun is back to reclaim his gold but this time he's got to resist the temptation of... smoking a bong?!? Leprechaun meets the boyz in the hood and proves that he's got what it takes to be the baddest mofo around. Lep is back to the hood and up to no good... again.

I'm not an avid Leprechaun fan. In fact, I've never paid much attention to these movies until this year came around. I've seen Leprechaun 1, 2, 3 and now 6 (Back 2 Tha Hood) and I'd say that "Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood" would have to be the best of the series. I had seen some parts of part 3 and about half of Leprechaun 4 a couple of years ago but I don't think I'd seen enough to pass judgment.

What attracts me to this film the most is that it's so different from the rest of the series. When I say this, I'm thinking of how Jason X was to the rest of the Jason movies. I mean, the Leprechaun isn't used to dealing with these smart-ass ghetto thugs. The jokes used in the movie aren't very original and are either hit or miss. You either like this kind of humor or just think that it's been done before and move on. For me, it was a guilty pleasure.

None of the characters in this movie are likable except for the Leprechaun, but if he wasn't likable, he wouldn't have gotten to this many sequels, would he? For the most part, I was happy to see these smart-asses get beaten up and impaled by bongs, stabbed with sharp objects and all harmful acts that happened during the movie. Some of the slow motion was well-placed and made the film evermore funny (i.e. Lep's eye incident) but for the most part, it didn't suit the movie all that well but didn't really harm it either..

The Leprechaun looked so much better in this film, he looks a lot creepier than he used to. Every time I'd see a Leprechaun film, I'd wonder if people actually got scared of him because he was always so comical with his appearance and annoying rhymes. Luckily, I only remember the Leprechaun blubbering out one rhyme in this movie which was a welcomed change, instead of rolling my eyes at another lame one-rhymer.

When it all comes down to it, this is an average horror film but a good addition to the Leprechaun series. If you're bored and want some horror fun, check out this film because you got about a 50/50 chance of splitting your sides in laughter like I did or just staring blankly at the screen. I say, give it a chance.

Finally some improvement

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
28 June 2009

Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood

directed by

Steven Ayromlooi

After some very bad sequels, a Leprechaun film has been made which can happily conclude the Irish monster's saga. It might have a reference to the hood in the title, but hardly similar to the previous attempt. Here they have created a worthy sequel. There may still be the problems with some of the characters and their dialogue, as well as some obvious plot holes, but Lep 6 actually worked on building up the characters, as well as a back story for the Leprechaun. Speaking of Leprechaun, Davis also manages to finish of his Leprechaun story, with one of his best Lep performances.

Far superior to the other Leprechaun films

Author: derektrotteresq from United Kingdom
9 May 2009

This sequel is so much better than the others, for starters its much darker and the Leprechaun's costume is also much better in this movie. Gone are the stripy socks and bright red pants, instead we have a more 19th century dark, creepy looking Leprechaun. The humour is still there in this film, except that its not cringeworthy like it was in earlier outings and is actually funny. There are very few hokey special effects and the storyline is played out well. They have also brought back the four leaf clover to kill a leprechaun mythology from the first film. Will it win an Oscar? No, but it sure makes up for the last few sequels which completely ignored the fact its supposed to be in the horror genre and instead tried to be too much of a comedy. All the Leprechaun films are fun in their own way, but this one is far less hokey - there's hope for the series yet!

Still not good, but better than his last venture to the hood.

Author: Prolox from Canada
7 May 2005

In this sixth outing, the evil Leprechaun terrorizes some poor kids in a rough part of the hood when they stumble upon a box of gold coins in a hidden cave! soon they go from poor, to fabulous & what's even better than finding a pot of gold coins worth millions? A refill of gold coins of course! since the empty box magically replaces the missing ones! However as the kids soon discover, it's owned by an evil Leprechaun, who will gladly kill them to get it back. LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD was obviously the series top grosser, why? because LIONSGATE simply made another one in the hood, although LIONSGATE failed to learn that although LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD may have made them money in rental sales, that doesn't mean it was a good movie, in fact, it was arguably the worst film in the series, true none of the other LEPRECHAUN films were works of art, but at least they were bad enough to be fun, LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD was just bad. Part 6 is admittedly a much better made movie in almost every way, but still not very good & it's obvious that fans suckered in to see the fifth did not want a second helping of the last films story, since the film is (at least at the time of this review) the last film in the franchise. Parts 5 & 6 are best described as BOYZ N' THE HOOD meets LEPRECHAUN. the direction by STEVEN AYROMLOOI, the acting & look of the film is so much better, it looks like LIONS GATE invested a bit more money than the last two films had to play with. Unfortunately, the film also falls into the same trap LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD fell into. The characters are the same cookie cutter stereotype characters we seen in the previous film & other urban horror films & non horror films set in the hood, the constant dropping of the F bomb & other foul language, tough as nails, drug dealers, the rap music, the good, clean cut kids trying to make a difference in their neighbourhood etc. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there are no places in the world like this, because there's no doubt in my mind that their are, it's just that for once it would be nice to see different kinds of characters in these types of movies & what's up with the "2" in the title? It's almost as if LIONS GATE was trying to market this as the second film in the franchise, which would be stupid, because this film along with LEPRECHAUN IN THE HOOD, will just get shelved alongside the other films in the series & considering that no other LEPRECHAUN movies have been made it's obvious the studio's plan blew up in their faces. Another thing that makes me think LIONSGATE was trying to make fans think this was the second film, is when the psychic towards the end of the film, tells the kids that centuries ago all the Leprechauns retreated back to their world except for one who stayed here & became evil. Although at the beginning of the film when the psychic opens a book entitled "Leprechaun" it says on the first page "Chapter 6" so maybe they weren't trying to make fans ignore the fact that the previous four films existed. The films story is none to different that the first three LEPRECHAUN movies as you can tell by the plot. Notably the film takes several ideas from the first LEPRECHAUN movie. The main one being how a four leaf clover can kill the Irish monster, the folklore of "if you find the end of a rainbow, a Leprechaun's gold is sure to be there". The Leprechaun' getting his eye gouged out & then replacing it just as easy & also reenacts a scene from LEPRECHAUN 2, where a gold tooth is extracted from a person's mouth, although in this case, the scene was done much more violently, with the victims bottom jaw being ripped off & the gold tooth taken & this time worn by the creature. Another thing that separates this sequel apart from the first four films, is that this time, it's the same Leprechaun from Part 5, wherein the other films each had a different Leprechaun monster. There's also plenty of humour when the Leprechaun tries to drive a police car but can't because he is too short, so he uses a severed cop leg to push down the gas pedal. A big, dark woman receives the best massage she has ever had when at the hands & feet's of Lep himself (in fact this is the first film where we see Lep's feet & their just as ugly as his face!) & we also get to see his softer side as he talks to a previous victims girlfriend on a cell phone, she appears interested when he tells her he has a good body, red hair & is fairly good looking but when she learns he is just a little over three feet, she hangs up! In the end the group much like the previous ones in the fifth film, fail to stop the Leprechaun, with the four leaf clovers & even a cremation unable to kill him. Instead he's hit with a box of gold & falls off a building, drowning in wet cement. But it's not over yet, the final shot is an image from the psychics book, where it's hand pops out of the now dry cement, ready to continue it's adventures. Series fans will no doubt be satisfied, but others watch out!

**1/2 stars

Really, really funny movie

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
23 January 2005

"Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood" is the funniest horror film I've seen.

**SPOILERS**

The last person who has the Leprechaun's (Warwick Davis) gold, sends him back to hell. The spot where he sends him back to hell was destined to be a Youth Center, but a year later has become the ghetto's worst neighborhood. Revealed to a Fortune Teller, a young woman, Emily (Tangy Miller) and her friend Lisa (Sherrie Jackson) learn that they will get a great fortune soon, but that it will come with a terrible price. Having a picnic in the park, Emily stumbles upon the spot of the Leprechaun's collection of gold pieces. After splitting up the money, Emily and Lisa use the money to help their careers, while there two friends Rory (Laz Alonso) and Jamie (Page Kennedy) use the money to party. He returns and begins to lay a path of destruction in the ghetto, killing anyone who interrupts his search for the coins. Emily learns that her friend has special clover that will stop the Leprechaun's rampage and goes off looking for him finally settling the score once and for all.

The Good News: This has to be the funniest of the movies. I think it is also the funniest horror film of all time. I haven't laughed at a horror film as hard as I have at this movie. This has the funniest lines in the whole series, but I can't really say them here for one reason: censoring the language for the quote would render their hilarity to near uselessness. It didn't bother me that there was a lot of language, but the funny jokes well make up for it. There was also a great scene with the Leprechaun stoned and wandering around a kitchen getting hit with everything that the equally stoned and oblivious character doesn't know about. There was a lot more slapstick humor in the film, and it has to be the greatest horror comedy. The Leprechaun's attacks are pretty gory. It's been a long time since I've seen a good leg amputation, and fortunately, this film provides it. It does it as one of the best scenes in the movie, as a cop is fighting the Leprechaun and goes to kick him. The Leprechaun blocks it and throws him up against the squad car, then he looks down and sees a big pile of blood on the ground directly under him. He looks and notices that his leg is missing. He then cut away to reveal that the Leprechaun has his leg. This is a classic scene that will mark one of the many highlights of the film series. There are several other great attacks of the Leprechaun, but they can't be revealed. He does have some gory tricks up his sleeve, and their execution in the film is flawless. They look realistic, which isn't something that can be said for the other films in the series. Besides the leg amputation, we also get a few brutal stabbing, a good impaling, and one cool slashed throat. Granted, this isn't a Jason movie, where everyone is dispatched in a different way, but that more than satisfied me for this type of slasher. The gunfight in the film is also really impressive, as gang members unload countless rounds of ammunition at the three-foot leprechaun, then he miraculously gets up and slaughters the gang. That will go down for me as the best scene in the film.

The Bad News: This does take a while to really get going, and the first half-hour will make you wonder if the film is actually "Leprechaun 6," or an African-American urban drama. There is no real connection made to say that it is a "Leprechaun" film other than the opening scene, but stick with it, as it remedies the situation quite rapidly.

The Final Verdict: A slow-moving opening scene really doesn't take away from the fact that this is one of the true original entries in the series. It is also the funniest one, but be forewarned that it may not be funny to everyone. Some of the humor is really out there. Deserves a look by fans of the series, as well as people interested in seeing African-American's in horror films and horror-comedy fans.

Rated R: Graphic Language, Graphic Violence and lots of drug use and references

So bad it's good?

Author: angrywizard from London, England
31 December 2003

LEPRECHAUN: BACK 2 THA HOOD

RATING: *1/2 (OUT OF ****)

Obviously, nobody is expecting cinematic brilliance from a movie with the title "Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood", but the most one could hope for is some trashy fun. Unfortunately, too much of this straight-to-video lamefest is boring scenes where bad actors just spout bad dialogue back and forth. Without a hint of gore or nudity, "Back 2 Tha Hood" follows the same story as all the previous Leprechaun movies. Characters find gold, Lep kills them, etc. Thankfully there is some humor injected here and there, but overall this crappy sequel is barely even worth reading user comments on. What's wrong with you?

Why...Why...Why ?!

Author: jeffreyhillen-364-945381 from Netherlands
6 October 2014

Why ?! I can ask it too many times to the film studios but why did even make a 6th one ? And also one who is almost a copy of the previous one. I would have understand that decision if the 5th one was a success, but it was terrible. And this one was, if possible, more terrible than the last one.

What can you further about the last part of this terrible franchise. The storyline was again a huge fail. The leprechaun has a few moment and is defeated again so easily, they can blow him of the roof without having any difficulties with killing it.

The acting was to laugh about as well so I rate this film 1/10