IMDb > Another Pretty Face (2002) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Another Pretty Face (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Classic tv-movie material. I liked it.

Author: ellagreyeyes
30 March 2003

I am a Mel Harris fan, so I might be biased but I really enjoyed this movie. I especially liked the relationship between Mel's character (Diana) and her daughter (Libby). They were friends and that was nice to see. In a lot of movies the mother and daughter have issues and do nothing but struggle with each other. I also liked the vibe at the news studio. The people looked like fun to work with, a job you would find enjoyable. The movie had a lighthearted, friendly spin that was nice to view. It was a treat to see Dick Van Patten playing Diana's loving dad, and it didn't hurt that Colby from Survivor played Libby's husband ;)

Main Story: Diana Downs, an award winning anchorwoman (Mel Harris) is replaced by a younger, attractive anchorwoman (Julianne Morris). Frustrated that looks are valued more than intelligence, Diana reinvents herself. She has a facelift, gets a new hairdo, drops some weight, dresses younger and drives a sports car. She moves back to the town where her father (Dick Van Patten) and her daughter (Julie Ann Emery) live, shortens her resume, drops her first name and gets a job as a secretary at the local news studio. Now as Beth Downs, she works her way up from the inside employing good old work ethics. There is the hint of a budding romance between Beth and another aging anchorman, Michael Bennett (gorgeous Perry King), but besides a kiss and the idea that they will eventually get together, the focus of the movie is not on their romance.

Side Story: Libby, married with a toddler, is battling the decision to pursue her blossoming career as a news producer or stay at home with her daughter. Colby Donaldson has a small role as Libby's husband Pete.

In the end, it all comes together in a predictable, but touching way. You can check out more on the movie at paxpressroom.tv.