"I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Pointless vacuous stuff that aims for the tabloid headlines every day at the expense of decency and restraint

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
27 December 2005

I'm not a real fan of celebrity shows just because I find the scramble for fame to often be quite distasteful and heavy with the smell of desperation. Likewise I'm not a big fan of "reality" shows because, although many are framed as being "helpful" most of the them actually draw their audience in with the promise of mocking or degrading those taking part; a look at Big Brother's exit shows will demonstrate what reality shows are about – almost everybody gets booed, meaning that the majority watch it to dislike the people and gossip about them. So when I'm A Celebrity started I gave it as much of a wide berth as I could but the influence and viewing habits of various partners and flatmates meant I have ended up watching bits and pieces of several series.

And I have to be honest and say that at best I'm unimpressed while at worst I'm impressed by how desperate some people are to get a boost of fame. We often wonder what we would do for money ("would you do x for a thousand pounds") but on this show we find out that some people will eat bugs and be covered in snakes or rats for the promise of several hundred thousand pounds. The basic idea of the show is that the celebrities stay in a forest clearing with so much technology crammed into it to watch them that even the monkeys must have headsets on. Here they bicker, fight and flirt while a section of the population that rely totally on the Sun and the Mirror for their news gossip and titter along. Each night we get a challenge and the public vote for who takes part.

Normally the trials are pretty horrible and they take pleasure in degrading the celebs, safe in the knowledge that most of them will do whatever it takes to get the headlines the next day. It is all quite grubby and unpleasant and for many of the trials I just left the room feeling rather concerned about what passes for entertainment these days. The inane relationships and personalities I can cope with but the fascination with degrading people is not something I particularly like.

Regardless though, like all the "best" (and by best I mean popular) reality and celeb shows, I'm A Celebrity is made or broken by the tabloids and for that reason alone it will always play up anything it can. As a result the real people get lost in the edit, fights are brought to the fore and bugs are chewed while vomit is choked back. Overall this is a pointless vacuous affair which, for that reason, draws a crowd happy with just that. I would grumble on about how this is a new low, but with the way things are generally headed a newer low would probably have been hit on television before I'd even finished writing this sentence. Ah well, give the people what they want I suppose, but I personally want no part of it.

I'm a Z-Lister! Get me some publicity!

Author: ClaChrstph from United Kingdom
8 December 2007

I'll point out now that the only reason it gets one star is because there's not an option for no stars on the form. It's disgraceful that TV companies are allowed to air shows like this and Big Brother. I fail to see how ANYONE can find it in the slightest bit entertaining. It used to be that as a celebrity approached the end of their 'time in the sun' they'd bow out with dignity instead of clutching at straws trying to keep their already dead career afloat. If you like watching this sort of thing then good for you, but this barely even classes as so-called 'reality TV'. It's about time TV producers abandoned shows like this.

Waste of airtime.

I'm Not A Celebrity......Thank The Lord.

Author: debsified from United Kingdom
18 November 2006

This successful reality TV format first attracted high viewing figures in the U.K back in 2002 (when Tony Blackburn was crowned the first "king of the jungle"). Since then, a further half dozen U.K series have attracted increasingly higher viewing figures and the format's been adopted both in the U.S and in Germany.

It's essentially Celebrity Big Brother in a more interesting location, with more challenging tasks as a result of this change of setting. Instead of a house and garden with futuristic furniture, a dozen celebrities (of varied/no acclaim - another tongue in cheek draw) are paid a minimum of about £20K to spend a few weeks in an Australian jungle that's had all deadly venomous elements removed beforehand.

Apathetic couch potatoes watch the whole show and extras avidly. People with more get-up-and-go only turn "mute" off for Ant n' Dec's barely rehearsed links (not a criticism - they're often funny) and the real ratings winner - the bushtucker trial. Once they run out of decent variations for the latter (suggestedly soon if rehashed tasks in the current series are anything to go by), the show will struggle to be recommissioned.

How Far Will People Go To Boost Their 'Celebrity?'

Author: bs3dc from United Kingdom
25 March 2007

You marvel at how desperate some of the contestants must be to perform in this degrading and humiliating spectacle that they gamely undergo in order to get themselves on the front pages of the tabloids.

Originally the format sounded a bit more interesting the the 'Big Brother' format where they sit around in a house all day moaning and swearing. Unfortunately the participants in this sit around in a jungle all day, moaning, swearing... and eating creepy-crawlies. Hardly any noticeable difference.

I suppose it does work for some of the contestants who manage to resurrect their careers (and not necessarily the winners) such as the intensely irritating Joe Pasquale who is now bizarrely popular again, Peter Andre is now famous for being Jordan's husband, and Kerry Katona... least said about those dreadful supermarket adverts the better. I could go on, but most of the contestants have failed to drag themselves out of the obscurity in which they have sunk.

I was turned off of this programme right from the start, but I was persuaded to attempt another viewing by some obsessed friends - a couple of minutes watching someone eat live insects, grubs and then a kangaroo's testicle all the while trying not to vomit confirmed that it was not the show for me. The inane presentation by the two most overrated 'personalities' - Ant and Dec - on television at the moment did little to improve things. The formula is the same as all other reality shows with the group dynamic purposefully engineered to create tension between contestants while the producers appear outraged at any physical conflict. The people chosen seem to fit the same pattern as well, with there always being an out-spoken loudmouth one and a busty woman who has little to offer except looking good in a bikini, etc.

However with healthy viewing figures it is hard to criticise ITV1 for giving the public what they want, as quality drama costs around £800,000 an hour and would not guarantee many more viewers these days. The revenue generated by voting must go some way to plugging the gaping hole left by decreasing advertising revenues. It is hardly any wonder they churn out series after series.

Not a programme I care for personally but it certainly has its fans and it is hardly surprising due to the culture in Britain at the moment where the only ambition people seem to have is to be famous without much regard as to how it happens.

Not Really Worth The Hype

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
13 May 2003

Sticking a bunch of C list celebrities out in the jungle seems to be a good idea on paper but is ruined by the idea of not keeping them there for ever . But what really annoyed me about the show is the amount of coverage it got in newspapers and the breakfast television shows . Everytime you opened a British tabloid newspaper you`d find several pages dedicated to the storm in a tea spoon that was the previous night`s edition . Same when you watched GMTV in the morning , the presenters would be interviewing the previous night`s loser every 15 minutes . Getting too much of a good thing is one thing , getting too much of a fairly bad thing is quite another

Of the votes cast Tony Blackburn was probably the deserved winner because he didn`t whine and moan ( Unlike the rest of contestants ) and never talked behind everyone else`s back ( Christine Hamilton did this all the time - Thank gawd the tories are out of power ) , but from a purely hetrosexist point of view I thought Nell McAndrew deserved to win since she spent much of her time there dressed in a bikini

I`ve just seen the second series . The novelty wears off very quickly

I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
11 May 2005

This is probably the second best reality show I know (after Big Brother). They put ten-twelve celebrities and dump them in the middle of an Australian jungle, there is a camp where they eat and sleep. Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly host this show, and they also tell the celebrities who is doing the special Bushtucker trials and who is leaving, and make good gags. They have had some good celebrities, but most of the time we don't know them, they just want to boost their careers. They have had: Siân Lloyd, Christine Hamilton, Uri Gellar, Nell McAndrew, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, winner Tony Blackburn, Daniella Westbrook, Toyah Willcox, Anthony Worrall Thompson, John Fashanu, winner Phil Tufnell, Jordan (Katie Price) and Peter Andre (who are now married), Johnny "Rotten" Lydon, Jennie Bond, winner Kerry Katona (McFadden), Natalie Appleton, Paul Burrell, winner Joe Pasquale, David Dickinson, Jimmy Osmond, Sid Owen, Sheree Murphy, winner Carol Thatcher, Toby Anstis, Jason Donovan, David Gest, Myleene Klass, winner Matt Willis and many more. Jordan (Katie Price) was number 2 on The 100 Worst Britons, the programme was number 40 on The 100 Greatest Funny Moments, it was number 6 on ITV: 50 Greatest Shows, and it has been on all 100 Greatest TV Treats programmes so far. Outstanding!

Desperate,cynical TV..........but you can't help but get drawn into it

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
7 March 2003

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly (or Ant and Dec,as they're more,er,'affectionately' known) are about 26/27 years of age between them.Yet already they've obtained their lifetime acheivement awards at the TV Awards.This is almost certainly down to consistency.They're second only to Davina McCall in terms of the amount of TV they are called upon to present.Failed former soap stars and pop singers,it's as if they're addicted to the profession.In fact,it's almost as if their popularity has soared so greatly,TV writers just randomly think up any old show to get them on TV more.No matter how desperate and tacky the show might look.I'm a Celebrity,Get Me Out of Here! is so manufactured and contrieved it hurts.It's so obvious that it's been concocted as something to sort out the desperately dire state of Saturday night TV,and it's so coy in it's attempts to distract us from thinking otherwise.Make no mistake about it,if you begin to enjoy this (as I sadly did),it's nothing less than a guilty viewing pleasure.So then,we're talking TV that appeals our baser instincts,that appeals to the lowest common denominator.......,ah,let's just watch it.

The tone and feel of the show feels very obnoxious and contemptuous towards the celebrities involved.It sort of requires the viewer to derive some sadistic pleasure out of putting them through such gruelling ordeals (or 'tasks',as they put it) as having maggots poured all over their heads and having to hold live alligators.Of course,this should be another very off-putting aspect to any conscientious viewer.This notion however,is hindered by the fact that a large majority of the celebrities featured aren't particularly self indulgent or egotistical anyway,so seeing them get humiliated isn't as satisfying as the producers probably wanted it to be.Most of them are just faded has-beens in their particular line of show-biz who've enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame and perhaps want to oggle the chance for a little extra time in the limelight (with the noteable exception of stand up comic Rhona Cameron,who was pretty much an unknown before the show was launched but who's career has really taken off since).Glamour model Nell McAndrew,for instance,sets in mind preconceived notions of being a loud,brash slapper type but is in fact a very humble and quiet member of the team who offers a shoulder to cry on for an emotional Christine Hamilton in one touching scene.Magician Uri Geller also never openly offends anyone,but he's kind of amusing because in the scenes where he chats with Nell,he proves what a sad perv he really is by offering to massage her back,claiming his psychic power will calm her,when in fact it's glaringly obvious he just wants to cop as much of a feel as he possibly can.Some could argue Darren Day and Tara Palmer Tomkinson are silly,self obsessed people but no one can deny they provide the show's most entertaining moments,with their bickering and ranting.It would have been more fun to see people like Victoria Beckham,Elton John and Liam Gallagher on there instead,although the chances of that ever happening are remote.In the end,it's,well,just not surprising that reserved,gentlemanly Tony Blackburn wins.

So,it's as see-through as tracing paper,so it's tacky,so it's derivative.Yes,it's all true.I guess it's like smoking.Don't start or you'll get addicted.I sadly did...........and look at me!**

So, the circle of life continues.

Author: spyk_ from Southampton, England
1 December 2005

It's that time of year. Big Brother is long over so all other copy-cat reality- turn your brain to mush- programs come crawling out of the wood work to secure ITV1's finances for the next 200 years. This one is probably the most watchable out of this seasons offerings (Celebraty Love Island was a new low point in the history of television) but it's still the same old-same old. Ten or so 'celebraties' (I use the term VERY loosely) are dumped in the 'Austrailian Jungle' (most likely a set behind Woolies in South London) and made to 'fend for themselves' when they are put in 'dangerous situations' (with a team of First Aiders stood by, of course). I have watched one or two of the episodes this year and they failed to hold my interest. My advise, don't watch it. You'll probably get addicted to it and it'll rule your life for 4 or 5 weeks until it finishes and you'll forget about it.

Watch "Life In The Undergrowth" instead.

Not brilliant!

Author: general-melchett from United Kingdom
28 November 2006

There are 3 things I really hate about this show:

1. Kerry Katona's Iceland adverts immediately before and after each part of the show - the stupid old tart can't act for toffee.

2. The fact it's just full of general losers, has-beens and unknowns.

3. Ant and Dec's awful stupid sense of humour - new presenters, please!

Aside from that, there really is little much to dislike about this show. It never passes on the disgusting and crazy antics - it is fun to see the losers on it getting punished for their dull lives by: eating kangaroo testicles, being locked in air-tight tanks with dangerous creatures, having to jump from high heights.

This show is best in the fact that it lets us see that these celebrities are basically the same as us common people - they fall out, they are friendly to each other, they plot, they scheme, and they have to endure humiliation (though we endure it on a much smaller scale). It has an iconic theme tune and some great imagery, and would otherwise be a favoured show of mine if it wasn't for Ant and Dec and Kerry Katona. Throw these losers off the show and get some real actors!

Fun to watch on a free night - it is absolutely hilarious to see these people try and cope with hard forest life - but not to be taken seriously. 5/10