Stuck on You (2003) Poster

A wonderful film -- what cinema is made for. But badly mis-marketed.
antony-12 January 2004
I went into the cinema with friends and said: "It's a Farrelly Brothers film; you can guess the level of humour." There's Something About Mary I love, but let's face it -- the humour is quite crass, even if the movie does have some heart. So I expected another movie with jokes in bad taste, and lots of humour at the expense of conjoined twins. At least this is how the film has marketed it. However, it couldn't be further from the truth. What has been marketed is quite different to what the film is about.

Whilst the film does have humour -- some movements hilariously funny -- this film is at heart a light drama. And this is by certainly no means a bad thing. When I expected low-IQ humour, what I got was just a really engrossing tale of two brothers who just happen to be conjoined. The chemistry between Damon and Kinnear is just perfect, and the relationship between the brothers (no doubt written from experience by the Farrelly Brothers) was wonderful.

Fox's marketing treatment of the film is appalling. In the trailer, Matt Damon's character says: "We're not Siamese, we're American," and the trailer plays it like he is stupid. Whereas in fact, when watching the film, the context is very different -- he's reacting with indignation, and in defence of their conjoined nature. This is indicative of the entire film. Never is their conjoined-nature used for humour in a bad way.

Throw away what you've seen in the trailers, or what you think the film is about. Go and see this movie that has its heart so very much in the right place -- a great antidote to so many Hollywood films that have the soul of a stone. I don't normally get sentimental with films. I'm the type of viewer that laughs when Jack dies at the end of Titanic. But I went away from Stuck On You knowing I'd seen a very special film indeed. Highly recommended.
100 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Touching Comedy
ivko3 May 2004
To be honest, I am still a little amazed at how much I liked this film. I resisted seeing it for a long time because the concept sounded so offensive. But offensive is the last word I would use to describe this movie. Hilarious would be more accurate. The conjoined twin thing never feels like fodder for cheap jokes. Yes, it plays prominently in the plot, but it just never feels like you are laughing at them, only with them. There is genuine affection for the two main characters, played expertly by Damon and Kinnear, that really shines thru. To be absolutely honest, a lot of what makes this film so incredible is hard (for me, at least) to describe. All I can say is that it's funny, it's touching, it's a bit of Farrelly brothers magic. See it, you won't regret it.
82 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Under-appreciated Farrelly Brothers Film
Brandt Sponseller21 January 2005
Bob (Matt Damon) and Walt (Greg Kinnear) are conjoined twins (joined at their lower trunks--they share a liver) from Massachusetts. They own a burger joint named "Quickie Burger" and Walt has a love of acting. Walt decides to move to California to try his luck at the big time, and although Bob is initially reluctant, he also has a beautiful "Internet pal" in California who he's been talking to for more than three years.

Compared to some of directors Bobby and Peter Farrelly's other films, such as Dumb and Dumber, There's Something About Mary, and Me, Myself And Irene, we could say that the humor in Stuck On You is much more subtle. That fact may be off-putting to viewers who come to Stuck On You primarily as fans of the Farrelly Brothers' previous work. There are still outrageous gags here, but they tend to be funnier if you exercise your intellect a bit, and believe it or not they are more rooted in reality than some other Farrelly Brothers films. If you are familiar with Daisy and Violet Hilton's story, for example--they were infamous sideshow performers who were conjoined twins--you'll note similarities, such as how they approached relationships with persons of the opposite sex.

Like much of the Farrelly Brothers other work, however, Stuck On You is as heartwarming as funny, and on one level, it's primarily a very odd romance film. It also seems that perhaps this is the most personal of their films so far, and it may very well be a depiction of their love for each other as brothers. That also gives Stuck On You a slightly more serious edge, but one that works very well. This is a quality drama in addition to being a comedy leaning towards absurdism. That may sound like a strange combination, but it flowed smoothly for me as a viewer.

The performances by Damon and Kinnear are on target, and their love interests, May (Wen Yann Shih) and April (Eva Mendes) are intriguing and not at all clichéd. The extended cameos by Cher and Meryl Streep, as themselves, are very entertaining, and the supporting cast is excellent.
45 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A surprisingly effective comedy
ghonzo25 February 2004
This turned out to be a surprisingly effective comedy. Okay, sure, you can say that a movie that pokes fun at conjoined twins is in poor taste, but there's nothing malicious about it -- it feels, if you can believe it, genuine.

You really get a sense of the tenderness and the bond that has developed between the two brothers. Of course, as you'd expect from the Farrelly brothers, it's laugh-out-loud funny. As you might not expect, there's not really any gross-out humor: it's more "Hal" than "Mary". If you can't tell, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

Some gag highlights: Cher with her boyfriends, Matt Damon's stage fright, Greg Kinnear in a animal costume.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Farrellys best since There's Something About Mary.
Li-116 May 2004
*** out of ****

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. The Farrelly Brothers had to mature (somewhat) at some point and make a film that didn't rely on sex or gross-out jokes. That is apparently the case with Stuck On You, the Farrellys latest and tamest, but it's also one of their sweetest and funniest films to date.

Bob and Walt Tenor (Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear) are conjoined twins who've spent their whole lives in Martha's Vineyard. Bob is the owner of a burger restaurant and Walt is an actor who performs plays for the town's audience, but he has bigger ambitions; he wants to be a Hollywood actor, much to the chagrin of Bob, who suffers from a distinct case of stagefright. But after some discussion and compromise, they agree to move to L.A. and start a new life for themselves.

Upon arrival, Bob and Walt meet the friendly but ditzy April (Eva Mendes), one of their neighbors in the apartment they've just moved into. Bob even meets his internet pen-pal May (Wen Yann Shih), but because he's never told her he has a conjoined twin, he has to "bring" along Walt on their first date together. As for Walt's Hollywood dreams, after some initial lack of success, he's chosen by Cher herself to co-star with her on her new show, "Honey and the Beaze," in an attempt by Cher to sabotage her own series. But the show is an unexpected success thanks to Walt's burgeoning popularity, which puts a crimp in his relationship with Bob.

Reviewing comedies has always been a bit difficult for me, which is why I usually stick to the stuff that I find easier to write about (action/adventure, horror, drama, anything but comedy), but given all the knocks this film has taken (particularly the fact that barely anybody saw it in theaters) I felt a slight sense of obligation to mention that Stuck On You is the funniest and most touching comedy I've seen in recent memory.

This is not to say that the film always had me choking with laughter (though a scene involving a guy in front of his typewriter did get the biggest laugh out of me all year), but rather that it consistently delivered smiles, chuckles, and solid laughs without ever bogging down, no easy feat for a movie that runs for just under two hours.

Aside from the lack of sexual humor, there's a major difference between the style of comedy the Farrellys employ here than in some of their prior films. Whereas many their previous works have often made fun of the people that suffer from certain "disorders," Stuck On You presents us with two friendly, easy-going guys who've grown accustomed to their situation and choose not to see their conjoined liver as a handicap. Rather, the film derives its humor from the way "outsiders" view their condition.

In the film's two lead roles, Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear boast the kind of comic chemistry that most actors can only dream of. Damon, in particular, excels by taking the more "straight man" role, where he's not actually aiming for any laughs but still gets them anyway, maybe even more than the typically hilarious Kinnear. Watching these two guys stuck together reminds me why I find them two of the most likable actors in Hollywood, even when most of Kinnear's characters are generally abrasive losers (but not in this case). It is, in fact, Damon and Kinnear that make the film as wonderfully entertaining as it is. Had not even half of the jokes worked as well as they did, their performances would still warrant this movie a passable recommendation.

Stuck On You doesn't always juggle its various subplots perfectly; while Wen Yann Shih does play well into the film, a lot of brief cameos and a wide assortment of characters aren't meshed in as well. Worst of all is Cher, who's neither funny nor particularly convincing as the "bitch" she's made out to be. I have no idea if this says more about her personality or her acting skills.

Most of the Farrellys comedies generally tend to dissipate in the last half-hour or so, replacing its humor with more sincere attempts at trying to make their irascible and/or "cad-like" protagonists learn a lesson or two. The magic of Stuck On You is that its protagonists are always the same throughout, making no genuine "it's a miracle!" revelations about themselves at the last minute; after all, brotherly love is still brotherly love.

When the last twenty minutes threaten to devolve into sentimental clap-trap, the Farrellys punch in the necessary humor that defuses any of the building sap (spoiler:I think my favorite scene in the whole film is when Bob and Walt re-unite after parting their separate ways, in a scene that's both hilarious and touching), making the film sweet without getting too sweet. The Farrellys have made a lot of funny movies, but this is the first of theirs I can recommend to just about anyone.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Fun
gmharris8 June 2004
This was one of my top films for 2003. In general I am not a fan of the Farelly brothers, but I had enjoyed Shallow Hal, and Stuck on You got good reviews from our local paper, which is rare. One thing that had impressed me about Shallow Hal is that the things that you would think were completely illogical were addressed reasonably. The most obvious thought with the casting was that Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear are not even that close in age. Sure enough, early in the film they explain that Matt's character has most of the liver, so Greg's character is aging faster. I don't know if it is scientifically sound, but it works in the context of the film. That is one thing that is nice about the movie. The film has plenty of sight gags and easy humor, but there are also obscure references and delightful surprises that remind you that the film has a brain. It also has a heart, and Damon and Kinnear have a nice brotherly rapport.

Of the supporting cast, Eva Mendes is easily the most fun, and gets the best lines. There are also enjoyable turns with Meryl Streep, Griffin Dunne, and Cher starts out as her own worst caricature, but ends up showing a heart as well. Many other familiar faces pop up, including people you have seen as bit parts in the directors' other films.

Finally, I have to say I was really impressed with the connection between the two bodies. Very realistic looking make-up job.
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comedy beyond Something About Mary or Dumb & Dumber -- it's very much a human story with abundance of heart
Ruby Liang (ruby_fff)14 January 2004
The Farrelly Brothers' "Stuck On You" is sincere drama with lots of heart -- of course, along with their smart quips and earnest observations not diminishing. I even gone teary-eyed towards the end. Bobby and Peter Farrelly brothers wrote, directed and produced this movie and they are never sloppy. There is much attention to detail and exudes empathy and earnestness. (I'd say their 2001 production of "Shallow Hal," with Jack Black and Gwenyth Paltrow, contained moments of poignancy also.)

Watching Matt Damon (as Bob) and Greg Kinnear (as Walt) single-handedly flipping burgers and buns in syncopated rhythm -- 'tis an acrobatic act in itself! (The art of 'Quickie Burgers in less than 30 seconds' is such a theme!) The pairing is godsend. Both Damon and Kinnear are talented actors who had many fascinating roles. Kinnear's portrayal of Bob Crane ("Hogan's Heroes") in Paul Schrader's "Auto Focus" 2002 has pretty much established him -- since his debut role in Sydney Pollack's remake of "Sabrina" 1995 and coming through acting opposite Jack Nicholson in Albert Brooks' "As Good As It Gets" 1997 -- as one who can handle roles in depth. Damon, besides his writing quality, has shown his versatile capability in Ed Zwick's "Courage Under Fire" 1996 (psychological/military), John Dahl's "Rounders" 1998 (intense/suspense), Kevin Smith's "Dogma" 1999 (fun/satire), Anthony Minghella's "The Talented Mr. Ripley" 1999 (multiple personality/mystery), Billy Bob Thornton's "All the Pretty Horses" 2000 (romance/western), Doug Liman's "The Bourne Identity" 2002 (action/thriller), Steven Soderbergh's remake of "Ocean Eleven" (ensemble cast/heist), and Gus Van Sant's "Gerry" 2002 (mystical/hypnotic) which Damon scripted and acted with Casey Affleck -- yes, he can handle any role, indeed.

The story introduces, matter of factly, the things these two stuck together brothers do in their everyday life -- it's down to earth and comes across downright normal. The plot evolves when Walt wants to pursue his acting career, just like any Hollywood dreams and Bob wants his brother to succeed. The Farrelly brothers can sure weave a heartwarming story, and here they follow through the emotional curve and happenings (cause and consequences) between these two brothers, and their friends and neighbors along the way. It's a thoughtful and creative script, and the brothers (almost a pun here) manage to include a musical, too. Cher is in a supporting role playing her fun self. The two corresponding girl friend roles are played delightfully by Eva Mendes as April, and tenderly by Wen Yann Shih as May. Veteran actor Seymour Cassel has a riotous time with his wig. There's a heartfelt cameo by Meryl Streep -- it's beyond being brief. The use of songs and lyrics was complementary to the various moods at hand. (Gilbert O'Sullivan's 1970 hit "Alone Again, Naturally" included.) From the production notes, we learned that the conjoint-ness was made possible by a makeup team led by Tony Gardner, special makeup designer, who collaborated with the Farrelly's before -- he enabled Gwenyth Paltrow's 300-lbs physique in "Shallow Hal". Damon and Kinnear were 'stuck together' 14 hours a day for 3 months. It is amazing how Farrelly brothers and their capable filmmaking friends and collaborators realized this genuinely caring human drama-comedy. It's guaranteed enjoyable movie experience for everyone.
40 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Farrelly brothers does it again!
ks46 March 2004
Going into this movie i expected another typical Farrelly movie, fearing i might hate it because the past years i haven't been such a big fan of dumb comedies, but this is actually very different, it is definitely a comedy, and it has a lot of small sketches that can crack you up, but underneath all the comedy they really managed to create a film with personal meaning, moral, and most important in this movie is the warm feeling you get off it.

What saves this movie really is the slight seriousity below the comedy, the movie does never try to be stupid and it works all the way through, you get really personal with the two main characters, who btw does an outstanding job, both of them are great in their roles, and i think it's good to see Matt Damon showing his potential, once again, in a very different genre than his former work.

The strength of the movie really is all these small sketches, there are so many, and they are just funny, every single one of them, how they work together, it's just so well made, small jokes that you may forget fast, but at the time they work, and the fight in the disco was just so great hehe, i couldn't help it, i loved it, the movie made me laugh, just as i thought i would never find a movie again that could make me laugh, i think it's nice to see that there are still comedies that are based on the comedy, that are funny without being dumb. The problem the later years i think have been the mass flood of stupid comedy shows where the fun part is based on disgusting crap, this movie really proofs that there is still a market for loose laid back comedies that are based on good humour rather than dumb humour, The farrely brothers truly rock!

25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Movie Is A Lot Better Than The Previews Show
stamp11 January 2004
First of all, for the people who are upset at the conjoined twins disabilities being the subject of a movie...if you want to get upset about a movie that makes fun of other people, who are abused, sad, down on their luck, and depressed... Then DON'T see "Bad Santa"! It is a million times more offensive to characters who really need help instead of being made fun of.

Second, I saw "Stuck On You" and it is very funny in places. My friend and I laughed out loud a lot, he laughed more than I did. It never makes fun of the conjoined twins really, just the people they have to deal with to get ahead in life. And their hometown accepts them and then loves them as they grow up dealing with their conjoinededness. It is an affirming movie and is positive about these handicapped characters and we root for them to get ahead and reach their goals. And it does have a happy ending featuring Meryl Streep and Cher. And Greg Kinnear singing!! I thought the ending was great!!

Spoiler: For the people who commented about how nowadays they can have surgery to fix their disability... The movie explains they can't have surgery because they share a liver, and if they go through with the surgery, Walt would likely die. And Bob (Matt Damon) loves his brother too much to take that chance. (He also is very afraid to live without his brother.) Near the end, they do have the surgery, and I won't tell you what happened, but it is VERY BITTERSWEET, it is happy, yet sad, and made some audience members teary-eyed. It is an emotional scene, and thought-provoking. If I was in their situation, would I have gone through with the surgery??

Funny moments: Cher!!! Cher's BOYFRIEND!!! Cher's BIG BEHIND!!! The fight scene in the bar between the brothers and the evil bullies!! The shower scene with the telephone. The cooking a dozen burgers in a couple of minutes scene. ALL of the sports scenes! The slimy creepy manager WAS REALLY FUNNY AND IRRITATING at the same time, but he wasn't evil, like Alec Baldwin is in "Cat N Hat". I really admire Cher for being in this movie (it recalls her "Mask" movie role somewhat.) And I loved Meryl Streep in this movie too!!! I think both Cher and Meryl Streep should get supporting actress nominations for their great roles! I thought Matt Damon AND Greg Kinnear both did great jobs. Matt Damon was very sympathetic as the shy half of the disabled duo. And Greg Kinnear was very dynamic, he dominated everyone else when he was in the scene. And he sings really good too. The soundtrack was also really great 70's songs that I enjoyed hearing very much!

Movie Philosophy: This movie is similar to "Kingpin" and "Dumb and Dumber", in that disabled people leave their safe homes, go on the road to a new place. They meet all kinds of new people they have to deal with and make new friends along the way. Friends who like and love them for their inner selves, and NOT what they look like on the outside. I really liked that message alot. (It is the total opposite of "Bad Santa", where a young, fat, retarded lonely boy with no parents and NO FRIENDS is made fun of and physically and mentally abused because of his outside appearance and disabilities he has no control over.)

The previews DON'T do this movie justice. They picked moments of the film that weren't the best parts. They should have shown Cher and Meryl Streep in the ads because they are so great! THIS MOVIE IS BETTER THAN THE PREVIEWS WOULD INDICATE. JUST LIKE "ELF" WAS!! This movie has the same happy, sentimental feel-good feel and ending that "Elf" and "Bruce Almighty" and "Finding Nemo" had. (3 of the BEST movies of the year.) It was an EXCELLENT movie and I highly recommend it to everyone! 10/10
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Total Cult
Claudio Carvalho15 November 2004
In Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, the conjoined twins Bob (Matt Damon) and Walt (Greg Kinnear) have a successful fast food place and are beloved by the local citizens. The shy Bob has a crush on May (Wen Yann Shih), who corresponds with him through Internet, but does not know that he has a Siamese twin brother. Walt decides to move to Los Angeles and become an actor in Hollywood. Once in Hollywood, they meet April (Eva Mendes), an aspirant actress who lives in the same hotel and becomes their closest friend. Walt finds a spot in a TV series with Cher, an arrogant actress, who wants to break her contract with the network using Walt. However, they are not happy in Hollywood and miss their small town. 'Stuck On You' is a cult-movie, directed by the Farrelly brothers and having the participation of famous persons, such as Meryl Streep (uncredited), Cher and Griffin Dunne. The story is hilarious and it is grateful to see Cher making jokes with her behavior. Greg Kinnear has an excellent performance in the role of the Siamese brother of Matt Damon's character. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): 'Ligado em Você' ( 'Connected to You')
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Farrelly Brothers Deeply Conflicted...
jharvey-42 April 2004
I'm actually a big Farrelly Brothers fan (and not just because they're from Rhode Island). So, it's with great reluctance that I write a less than stellar review of "Stuck On You".

It's not a horrible film, but like many recent Farrelly releases it's muddled and illustrates a tug of war between the movies the Farrellys want to make the and movies the Farrelly's fans want them to make.

"Stuck On You" tells the tale of Bob and Walt Tenor, conjoined twins who live a good, peaceful life on Nantucket Island. That is until Walt (played by Greg Kinnear) catches the acting bug and wants to move to LA. The story and gags from there mostly revolve around a fish-out-of-water story (but two fish joined at the side) and the brothers' ongoing ignorance of their own condition.

At one point, Bob (played by Matt Damon) tells Walt that he'll never make it in acting. Why? Because he needs a better tan. Though these aren't the idiot gags that we all enjoyed in "Dumb & Dumber". In fact, both of the brothers are very bright. Their ignorance is more a function of their being so close (physically and emotionally) for such a long period of time and because back home everyone accepted them completely. They've become blind to their own handicap.

It's a nice message and it is delivered poignantly at times. More often, though, we're hammered with it over and over again while the Farrellys do their best to make the movie look more like one of their more celebrated, more tasteless, and funnier movies like "Dumb & Dumber", "Something About Mary", or "Me, Myself and Irene".

In all of the latter movies, there was no illusion that we were there primarily there for the gutter chuckles, but each movie also had characters we really liked. Let's face it. We were all rooting for Lloyd and Harry in "Dumb and Dumber" even if they were morons.

In "Stuck On You", the main characters are all a lot flatter than what we've seen before. Plus, one of the most disappointing aspects in "Stuck On You" is the poor use of the minor characters. In previous movies we got some of our biggest laughs from the sideline characters, while in "Stuck On You" they're used mostly as window dressing. Eva Mendes is primarily a cleavage delivery device in "Stuck On You", which is a shame because she's not a bad actress and she could have some comedic chops.

How are Greg Kinnear and Matt Damon in this film? They both do as good as can be expected. We're not used to seeing Damon in comedic films (his last was "Dogma"), and I think he does comedy very well. I'm reluctant to comment directly on their performances because it's not fair. The characters are flat and that's not their fault.

Sadly, this isn't a fluke for the Farrellys. It's part of an ongoing trend. Their animated movie, "Osmosis Joe", more closely resembled a feature-length public health announcement starring Chris Rock and Bill Murray. "Shallow Hal" dealt with superficiality in much heavier, dramatic tones than we were led to believe in the movie's trailers.*

In "Stuck On You", the Farrellys try to swerve back to their poop-and-fart-joke roots, but deep down you can tell they want to make more serious, thematic movies.

I would have no problem if the Farrellys decided to do a more serious, dramatic film. I would also have no problem if the Farrellys decided to do more locker-room humor comedies. But I do have a problem with them trying to do both at the same time. It's just not working.

* NOTE - While I'm not shopping for the DVD, I did enjoy "Shallow Hal" once I realized (and accepted) that the movie was a lot heavier than the trailers depicted. That said, there were a lot of people in the cinema who were expecting something like "Dumb & Dumber" and they were plenty unhappy about it. I don't blame them.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't waste your time
Gwendydd_23 December 2003
This has got to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. Unorganized, useless plot, over-done sentimentality, and bad jokes. It was not funny, and the sheer stupidity of it made me want to break down and cry right in the middle of the theater. Its only good quality was-- oh, wait, sorry, there *were* no good qualities. My only thought leaving the theater was, "I am two hours closer to dying."

Go see something else while I beg for my money back.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Duet 'til you're satisfied…8/10.
Clark Richards3 March 2005
You have to give the Farrelly Brothers credit; they were able to mine every ounce of 'co-joined twin' material they could get their four hands on. After watching this film, it would seem that there is, in fact, a lot of different ways to tell one joke. The joke comes fast, furious, and unrelenting throughout the duration of the movie. Amongst many other vignettes of the variations on a theme, we see how Bob (Matt Damon) and Walt (Greg Kinnear) deal with home life, school and dating while being co-joined twins. Mainly we see the advantages through the framework of sports activities, where the Bob and Walt dominate their high school football and baseball games. Home life provides some humorous disadvantages; when Walt takes his showers, Bob is relegated to wearing the gear of the Gorton's Fisherman. As if that wasn't degrading enough for Bob, Walt's prolific dating habits provide many sleepless nights for Bob, as he has only a thin curtain to shield him away from Walt and his many sexual conquests.

Damon and Kinnear plow through these scenes hand in hand and tongue in cheek. It is from their performances that the comedy most often floats higher than the material. Once the movie begins to falter from the one-joke premise, it quickly becomes a war of attrition with the viewer. Even though there were times when I could feel my eyes rolling up into my head, I would also find myself giggling and rewinding scenes. Damon and Kinnear really put a good face on a lightweight comedy.

I also came away from the film liking Eva Mendes. Her role as April, the aspiring Los Angeles 'wanna be actress' was a very small role, but Mendes makes the most out of it by displaying an innocent comedic flair while being very, very easy on the eyes.

'Stuck On You' also features two Academy Award winning actresses playing themselves; Meryl Streep, in an unaccredited role, is asked by Walt to remember her visit to Martha's Vineyard from some many years before. Although she remembers her visit, it takes a little while for Streep to put the faces of Bob and Walt into her memory. She eventually remembers them as high school football stars from a game she saw while looking for something to do while visiting their hometown. When she remembers this game she becomes very animated and then strikes up an unlikely friendship with Bob and Walt. Streep also shows up at the end of the film to help out in a play that Bob and Walt have put on. Cher on the other hand, has a much more meatier role in the movie. She spends most of her camera time making fun of her own celebrity. I find the casting of Cher to be a very inspired choice. There's a similarity between the physical separation after an operation that Bob and Walt try to live through, to the mental separation that haunted Sonny and Cher after their painful and public divorce. Cher knows from experience the anguish of being trapped as one half of a whole. I'm sure there wasn't any thought of this whatsoever in her casting, I just find it amusing.

Seymour Cassel was brilliant as Morty O'Reilly, Walt's older than dirt agent. Morty's best line happens near the end of the film when he learns that Eric Estrada has left CHIPS.

If you get to see 'Stuck On You' as a DVD rental, you must look at the extras. Greg Kinnear's 'Ted Koppel' is by far the best imitation of Koppel going these days. It surpasses the Koppel imitation from SNL's Darryl Hammonds, the previous gold standard, by a far mark.

This movie will surprise you from time to time with its aspirations of wanting to be something more than a juvenile yuk fest, but at the same time it will irritate you constantly by falling back down into the repetition of lame jokes. It dances a fine line, but overall it comes across as a lightweight comedy with some fine performances that produce many a short giggle. However, a bit more quality over quantity would have had me doubled over.

8/10. Clark Richards
jotix10012 December 2003
The Brothers Farrelly without inspiration are just as mediocre as anything else from the Hollywood boredom factory. This picture compares with Shallow Hall in that if one laughs a couple of times, it's a lot. The kind of comedy they work on, needs a lot of crudity and outrageousness. Well, the viewers that dare to pay to see this inane attempt at comedy won't find it here.

The best thing going for this movie is Meryl Streep in her brief appearance. Matt Damon and Gregg Kinnear are just wasted. The idea of this odd couple might have sounded very funny when these two were pitching the film, but on the screen it falls flat. The ones that bought the idea might have had too much Pellegrino with lunch, or was it something in the brownies they had for dessert?

What are they trying to say? There's no place like home? Togetherness is the best thing that could happen between siblings? It's just an idiotic idea, and judging by the audience reaction at the screening I attended, it will be a miracle if it lasts a couple of weeks when better films will be released.

I have an answer to the question "What's a four letter word for snatch?" SUCK (as it's the case of this film)
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There's something about this `Stuck on You' that sticks to me.
jdesando9 December 2003
There's something about this `Stuck on You' that sticks to me after my initial impression that the Farrelly Brothers have created another inane comedy to compete with their equally dubious `Dumb and Dumber' franchise, `Shallow Hal, ' and `There's Something about Mary,' among others. That something is taking a story about goofy conjoined twins (Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear), tossing in bathroom and masturbation jokes, and then seeing a basic metaphor about the loss people feel when separated from another human being with whom they have spent their lives.

I commend the Farrellys because `Stuck on You' does not play for the broadest laughs but gently lampoons pretentious Hollywood and overtly praises the sincere emotions of two linked humans and the New England town that loves them regardless of their disability. I liked the connection of two innocent, loving brothers, who miss each other after separation. I liked botoxed Cher's presence to emphasize the decayed humanity of L.A., which sees clearly the business profit in deformity.

On another allegorical level, the twins could be the projection of the Farrellys themselves, going to Hollywood to exploit its penchant for seizing on the flavor of the month, regardless of its incorrectness or inhumanity and facing their own eventual split (Bobby is considering cutting back on their productions). The Farrellys are not the Coens, whose satire is more Kaufmans' `Adaptation' (Even if the brother is only imagined) than Zuckers' `Airplane.' But the Farrellys' five major motion pictures make them as bankable as any other successful brothers in the business.

Seeing diva Cher make fun of herself and Meryl Streep cutup as co-star with Kinnear in a musical stage production of `Bonnie and Clyde'(Think `Springtime for Hitler') are a couple of reasons to see this film. The best reason, however, is to enjoy the lighthearted interaction of two brothers who learn that nature's cruel marriage of their bodies gave them the best emotional marriage of their lives. The Farrellys have confirmed the Karl Menninger belief that `to know one another well enough should not be to hate one another the more but to love one another the more.'

Even those of us not conjoined could learn about brotherly love from `Stuck on You.'
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you're worried of the morals of laughing at birth defects, don't worry - you won't be laughing
bob the moo11 January 2004
Bob and Walt are conjoined twins who have learnt to live together as one and not let the birth defect hold them back. When Walt decides he wants to pursue his acting career on a bigger stage, Bob agrees to move to LA with him. Laughed out of most of Walt's auditions, Bob is close to quitting before Cher picks him for her new TV show (hoping her choice of co-star will kill the show). However the show is a surprise hit, while Bob's wooing of his internet girl friend seems to be going well despite her not knowing about him being joined to his brother.

If you have seen the trailer for this film then you have seen all the funny bits of this film (as well as some of the bits that flop). The plot is stupid in the extreme and, worse still, can't decide if it wants to be an out and out comedy or a film with a more serious heart. It tries to be both and it fails miserably. As a comedy the film simply isn't very funny and the jokes that I did laugh at are basically repeated over and over again with slight variations. The film holds back from the cruel mocking humour of the Farrelly brothers' better films and gives the characters and the story some dignity (at the expense of laughs), but not enough dignity to save the story.

The subject is interesting and would have been much, much better if it had been delivered straight as a drama of sorts - or even a documentary feature (one on the DVD would be a good touch). As a story it doesn't really engage and doesn't have the necessary pathos to really be a good tale. The comic edge is too clumsy and takes a lot of the potential off the story, making characters into jokes rather than people we can feel for or try to understand. The film's message of understanding and acceptance is left to collapse under it's own lack of development and the film seems to try to just get lots of cameos from stars in there to cover the massive gaps.

As the lead pair, Damon and Kinnear are pretty poor. It isn't their faults in fairness, they just don't know what they are meant to be doing. Are they getting laughs from their characters or are they meant to be getting some sort of emotional connection from the audience and drama from the situation? They don't know. I didn't know. And their performances show this. Mendes looks fantastic - she has great breasts and a great body and is gorgeous - and these assets are the only thing that the film gives her to do. She has no character, no dialogue and almost no reason for being there; she is eye candy and it's a condemnation of the rest of the film that she's the best thing in it. Shih has an OK character and she manages to be both cute as well as painfully vulnerable. Her thread of narrative is OK and is key to the `acceptance' side of the film - shame it doesn't really work well enough. Aside from the usual line up of weirdoes and disabled characters (I have no problem with that - but the Farrelly brothers seem to make a big deal out of it. Cher is quite good sending herself up, but she can't act natural - it's funny having her play it as a bitch, but she can't convince. Aside from her there are many other cameos, Leno, Luke Wilson, Meryl Streep, Frankie Muniz - none of them really work though. Streep's big conclusion to the film would have been a nice finish if the film had been funny - it hadn't so instead the musical climax is just dumb and slightly embarrassing.

Overall this is not a comedy to me - I barely laughed more than once. I'm not a shallow person generally, but the only good things I found in this film were attached to Eva Mendes'. The drama side of it has no emotional core and no reason to be taken even halfway seriously. The end result is a film that wants to make a serious point of sorts but also be taken as a hilarious comedy. The Farrellys' got it right once or twice, since then it's all been pretty average stuff at best.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not the Farrelly Brothers' funniest
kibler@adelphia.net2 April 2005
Stuck On You (2003) Matt Damon, Greg Kinnear, Eva Mendes, Wen Yann Shih, Ray "Rocket" Valliere, Cher, Pat Crawford Brown, Tommy Songin, Terence Bernie Hines, Seymour Cassel, Griffin Dunne, Jay Leno, Meryl Streep, Frankie Muniz, D: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farrelly. One-joke comedy about Damon and Kinnear, a pair of conjoined twin brothers, leaving their burger joint in Martha's Vineyard so one of them can pursue his dream of Hollywood stardom. There, they run into a spoiled diva (Cher, mocking herself and her image) who hires them to co-star in her TV show. The Farrelly Brothers want us to embrace these "heroes" while at the same time be getting a laugh, but some scattered laughs aren't enough, especially when a thin setup like this feels so protracted. Some actors make cameos; decide for yourself to laugh or not. 118 min., rated PG-13. **
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very strange, unfunny comedy, but the story itself is pretty entertaining and fun enough to garner a slight recommendation.
MovieAddict20168 April 2004
"Stuck On You" is the newest comedy from the Farrelly Brothers, whose irreverent humor has brought us some of the most daring and uproarious films of the decade. Yet although the Farrellys are known for their crazy, rude, slapstick humor by both their fans and enemies, "Stuck On You" is more of a subtle comedy than anything - which is extremely surprising given the directors' history. I think a lot of people will leave this movie holding a different perspective towards the Farrellys. But that's not to say the film doesn't have its flaws, as they come in great numbers. The story is just offbeat and entertaining enough to garner it a recommendation, if only a slight one.

It's a tale of two conjoined twins and their journey to California to make it big in showbusiness. The aspiring actor, Walt (Greg Kinnear), is the brother who wants a career in tinsel town. His twin, Bob (Matt Damon), is joined with Walt at the waistline, nine inches across, which makes it difficult for them to do anything at all on their own. "How hard is it when you both have to go to the bathroom at the same time?" someone asks them. "It's usually harder when only one of us has to go," Walt replies.

After leaving their hometown of Massachusetts, where they flip burgers at a local restaurant in 180 seconds flat, the duo head for the slums of Hollywood, soon finding a nice apartment to stay at whilst they find an agent. Love blossoms when Bob finally meets up with a three-year Internet contact, a pretty Asian woman, who is very happy to meet Bob, and vice versa. The problem is that he has not told her about his "condition," which presents both he and Walt with a huge problem.

"Stuck On You" is a film unlike any other I have ever seen. The morning after, as I type a review, I wonder to myself: Did I *really* just see that? It's so strange and unusual and unique that it almost seems like a dream. The same thing happened with "Shallow Hal," an unfortunately lesser movie, which was nevertheless very different from any other comedy I had ever seen. Whereas the Farrellys somewhat poked fun at stereotypes and packed their movies with slapstick humor, their latest two efforts have been more bizarre, packed with strange ideas and very unusual heroes. If anything, you have to give the brothers some credit for achieving pure originality. This is one of the most bizarre comedies I've ever seen. Too bad it's not very funny.

I think that's the point. What "Stuck On You" lacks in laughs it makes up for in heart - this is a surprisingly kind and sweet-natured film, which tells us all that you aren't what life makes out of you. It's the complete opposite. Its heroes know this, and this is the sort of film that makes you re-examine your own position in life and realize just how appreciative you should be of everything. It's no masterpiece, but I think it was intentional that for the first time in the history of their directing careers, the brothers Farrelly decided to end their comedy without a final punchline. It's a Farrelly Brothers movie, all right, but it's a clear sign that they might actually have a bit of brains, and respect for life, that wasn't necessary in their other movies but actually feels quite welcome here.
Stuck on You: 4/10
movieguy102124 December 2003
Different types of comedy is always good. There should always be gross-out, satire, farce, and subtle comedy available. However, Stuck on You, the newest offering by the Farrelly Brothers, is none of those, for it tries to be offensive without being too offensive, because then some people would be offended. It seems here like the Farrellys, who are known for their bad taste, wanted to make fun of conjoined twins, but felt like it may upset some people, so instead they cast them in a loving light, but don't know what to do with it. Nice comedy does not work for the Farrellys.

Bob (Matt Damon) and Walt (Greg Kinnear) have been stuck together for all of their lives. They have simple lives owning and being short-order cooks at the Quickee Burger. Walt is an aspiring actor and dreams of being an actor in Hollywood. Bob agrees to go with him (obviously) to Hollywood, because Bob's internet friend May (Wen Yann Shih) lives there, also. Almost immediately, Cher gives Walt a job, but their relationship is soon tested as they continue to live in L.A.

As I said earlier, the Farrellys don't know what to do with all of their material that isn't offensive, and since the essence of them is in their ability to offend people, they don't have anything up their sleeves to show us. They could have gone deeper into the relationship between Bob and Walt, but they barely go into that, and when they do, it isn't funny (except for the `We're Off to See the Wizard' thing). Humor is subjective, but I think most agree with me in that most of the movie wasn't funny.

Being the movie geek that I am, I eat up anything related to Hollywood, so I was excited for when Bob and Walt were going there, hoping to hear some good Hollywood jokes. Unfortunately, about the most of it is Cher yelling at someone. If that makes you laugh, then more power to you, but I think most people require more. I will admit, though, that Cher's new boyfriend did make me laugh. For the most part, once the scene changes, the laughs don't.

The effect to make Damon and Kinnear look conjoined looked so fake it looked real. It just looked like some skin attached between the two, and oftentimes it looked like it moved around some. Also, how did they get separate clothes on? It's a small detail, but it bothered me. Back to the Farrellys for a minute, more jokes could have been made not at the expense of conjoined twins but just with them, something like in Airplane 2: The Sequel.

I don't understand why everyone makes fun of Damon's acting, he's a solid actor, and he wasn't half bad here, but Kinnear was his better half. The two played off each well, and, amazingly enough, Mendes wasn't too bad either, but it seemed like everything Shih tried to do was fake. Overall, if you do see Stuck on You, don't.<BR><BR>

My rating: 4/10

Rated PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, and some language.
Stuck In Neutral
Bill Slocum14 July 2008
Since making the comedy of the 1990s in "There's Something About Mary", Bobby and Peter Farrelly have produced gentler fare for themselves and the greater Rhode Island area, sticking in just enough gross-out humor to deflect the "they-got-soft" buzz. But they have been getting softer, and not in a good way. Take "Stuck On You".

It's the story of Bob (Matt Damon) and Walt Tenor (Greg Kinnear), conjoined twins remaking their lives when extroverted Walt pursues his acting dreams in Hollywood and introverted Bobby must go along for the ride. Walt finds sudden success while Bobby meets his dream girl, but will their new lives break up this inseparable pair?

Acceptance is the overriding message of this film, and it's a nice message for a film that offers little else. At least I know better than to use the term "Siamese twins" now. Damon and Kinnear display nice chemistry, and I chuckled a couple of times.

But the Farrellys seem more interested in displaying their humanity than making a funny film. Bob and Walt emote a lot about their hopes and dreams while everyone who ever sold the Farrellys a pizza is wedged into the background as an extra. You can feel them strain to hit the "feel-good" buttons and the punchlines.

Alas, someone forgot the hair gel this time. The toothless gags play off the brothers' conjoined situation, but avoid any meanness. Instead it unrealistically tries to play off their situation as no big deal to anyone with half a heart. Like when Walt tells Bob of this hot woman he had drinks with the other night, only "I couldn't get her alone. She had that friend Ruthie with her like a freakin' shadow." They flip burgers and tend goal in a hockey game: "I had 11 saves and Bob had 26".

The supporting cast is lackluster, not helped by a script that presents them as backboards for the brothers' banter or the fact that for so many of them, the casting call was the last Farrelly family barbecue. Seymour Cassell as an old agent wears a silly wig, while Cher sends herself up as Walt's unhappy co-star on a TV detective show.

I liked isolated scenes, more in the beginning than in the mawkish and excessive second half when the twins cope with sudden success. There's a good scene early on when Walt is scoring with a girl while Bob on the other side of a shower curtain types an e-mail to his pen pal, unfazed by the fact his brother's activity keeps him bouncing up and down. Between positions, Walt tries to sneak a peak at his brother's e-mail. "It's personal," Bob says, pulling it away.

That's a nice moment about boundaries, and enough of it shows up now and then for the film to not be a complete drag. You do care about the pair. Damon is good as shy Bob, while Kinnear impresses me, as he did with "Auto Focus", by getting the most out of lame dialogue with a raised eyebrow.

Then he has to go and do one of his dead-on Ted Koppell impersonations, reminding you you are really watching a pair of actors strapped to a flesh-tone prosthetic. "Stuck On You" is not a bad idea for a comedy; it's just weakly delivered by a pair of brothers who themselves may have been stuck together too long.
Quiet classic
petehuet6 June 2007
Stuck on You is a quiet classic destined to be a cult flick. It's funny with a heart while avoiding over-sentimentality. The fact it's a Farrelly Brothers movie led to it being mostly ignored and totally underrated - it's as democratic a comedy as the Simpsons but perhaps too short on the geeky references for some. At first I was disappointed people rated it so badly on IMDb. Then I figured the low-raters could have their History Boys (the most overrated, pretentious and least funny film of the last few years) and I'll be happy laughing away at Walt & Bob's actics with my mates. "I taste ice cream" - "You've got a dart in your head you dumb sh*t". Long live Stuck on You.
Cher and Cher alike
Boyo-223 December 2004
I enjoyed the movie a ton more than I expected to. The Brothers Farrelly have only disappointed me once or twice. I especially like that they have hockey players and other athletes in their movies - Cam Neely in "Dumb and Dumber", Ron Darling in "Shallow Hal" and Brett Favre in "There's Something About Mary". I don't know why I like that, I just do. Also I like the old songs they use - the Cowsills in "Dumb", Edison Lighthouse in "Hal", etc.

Anywho, medically speaking, the premise is impossible, therefore stupid, but if you want realism, watch a documentary on the plight of the African fruit fly. Belly laughs are in large supply here. There are some awkward moments or two and I'd have cut some scenes and the movie wouldn't have suffered a bit from a snip here and there.

Coming off best is Cher, who I am not a fan of, but given the sense of humor she has to have, I could become one. She practically allows herself to be referred to as a Hollywood has-been, a joke, and a witch. It takes a confident actress to leave herself so exposed, and she goes for it and then some. By playing this part, she's throwing it back in your face and telling you she's not a joke.

I enjoyed all the supporting actors too - Meryl Streep (!), Griffin Dunne, Luke Wilson, Frankie Muniz, Jeffrey Ross, Seymour Cassel and of course, Eva Mendez.

I wouldn't want the movie implanted in my brain, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it, even though my Mother complained for the first half hour but by the end, thanked me for suggesting we watch it. 7/10.
Warm fun.
michael-101525 November 2004
I absolutely love this movie, mostly because of the ending. Greg Kinnard does a SUPERB version of the Billy Holiday song "summertime". I was astounded to learn that this actually was Greg and not some lipsync-project. He has an astounding voice and uses it to it's fullest. I find myself rewinding just to hear it over and over and over again.

The film is warm and fun, and a perfect film to enjoy with a girlfriend or a couple of friends who don't take entertainment too seriously and just want good, clean entertainment.

People, brighten up and enjoy. This is a great movie if you don't look around for errors. Both actors do a good job and have great chemistry. I look forward to more or the farrely brothers.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie that definitely will not be "Stuck On You!"
asthmadonkey28 February 2004
As you might have seen on the trailer previews, this movie is about the life of conjoined twins, however I fail to see the concept of creating such a movie. This film has below average acting and plot development, and fails to keep the audience interested in the movie for longer than 5 minutes.

I believe the film tries to be both a comical experience as well as a mushy love story at the same time, but there is no way of knowing for sure because the film does a horrible job of emphasizing both qualities. The jokes are, at best, mediocre, and in small amount at that. You only hear about two or three jokes that, for some strange reason, get carried on as the movie progresses. I laughed, only at the sad joke, when I realized that I had paid to see this movie. What's worse about this film is that it is 2 hours long. By the first half-hour you are thinking along the lines of boredom, hoping the movie will end soon but it lasts for another hour and a half. By the time this movie ended, I was stampeding out of the theater.

Seeing this movie made me realize two things: 1. That I would never go see the sequel to this film (if there even is a sequel). 2. I had just wasted 2 painful hours of my life that I would never get back!