IMDb > "Strange Luck" Soul Survivor (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Strange Luck" Soul Survivor (1995)

1 of 17 Episodes | Next »

Brilliant but Cancelled

Author: baron_vonklyff from Houston, TX
10 February 2004

This is another great show that stood to do well. However when FOX revamped its schedule and moved Strange Luck's excellent lead in, "The X-Files," and replaced it with a truely lame show (it was so bad I cannot even remember its name), they effectively killed the show.

"Strange Luck" was a fun and witty, hour-long television show that not only poked fun at itself, but at the never-ending, crime-solving mysteries that permeate the airwaves.

I really hope that this, along with another great show, "Now and Again," will make the transition to DVD that many of these critically acclaimed but network bombs are doing these days.

A very surprising TV series

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
22 May 2006

Strange Luck is dramatic and funny at once. D.B. Sweeney is very good as the main character who survived a plain crash and since then cursed with "strange" luck. His luck seems to provide him with enough income to live and enjoy live but also seems to put him in strange situations. There is enough action and excitement to get you hooked for a long time! The show contains mystery,action,humor and even romance. The great thing about this series was that you could follow the story even if you missed an episode. Each episode was set up as an independent movie. This show is quality! And it was really a shame they canceled this show!

The Best Shows on TV Never Find An Audience!!

Author: Rvrgm from United States
14 November 2005

I remember the first time I saw an episode of this excellent show - I was taking a TV class in college and our teacher had us watch it because of the unique way the show told its stories - one of the early examples of breaking out of the box of "this is your good guy, this is your bad guy, this is your good guy outwitting your bad guy" formula story lines.

The gist of the show was that the protagonist, played by D.B. Sweeney, never wanted to get involved in the investigations he wound up in - it all just happened to him. In essence, his everyday was like a Rube Goldberg existence where the strangest things would occur, most of which made no sense, until the episode was nearing its ending - then, suddenly everything had a purpose and led him to solving the crime! I have fond memories watching this show with my wife (then girlfriend) on Friday nights at her house. It was a really fun show that never took itself too seriously. Unfortunately, Friday night is "death-night" for TV (see also FIREFLY). The show just couldn't find its audience - and furthermore, even at the end of its run the writers were already showing signs of running out of ideas.

But, I would snap up any future DVD of the show in a heartbeat!

Excellent show

Author: Ted Nothnagle (ted@tnothnagle.com) from Manchester, NH
24 November 2002

This was one of those shows that, while watching it, you know that it is just too intelligently written to find an audience. I am glad we at least got 17 episodes. You can read the plot summary for yourselves, but each episode was a web of coincidences and lucky incidents that culminated in the solving of a crime. It took the implausibility of most TV shows, and made a giant in joke about it.