IMDb > Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (2002) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

One of the finest games of all time.

Author: Kid A 2k5 ( from Liverpool, England
28 August 2003

This is the Godfather of games: It's really long, quite intelligent, and features gangsters. There's even a gun hidden in a toilet. It is without a doubt one of the finest games of all time ever. Full of action, with a great plot and developing characters. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Like an interactive movie.

Author: Steve West from Adelaide, Australia
2 March 2004

I originally got Mafia for my PC but it wasn't powerful enough to run it properly, now in 2004 I've got it for the PS2 and I just finished it today. I miss it already, it's been there ready to tell the next chapter of Tommy Angelo's story for the past 5 days. There are a lot of missions, but like chapters in a good book, I wish there were more. There's a lot of good games coming out of Europe lately, first Hitman (Denmark), then Max Payne (Finland), and now Mafia out of the Czech Republic. Lets hope there are more.

Mafia almost literally transports you to 30's prohibition-era Chicago (the city the town depicted in Mafia is based on) with slow cars, hats, and tommy guns. It's a little bit like Grand Theft Auto in the style of play, and like "It Came from the Desert" in its historical richness.

If you have a PS2 or high-spec PC it would be a crime to pass up this game.

Good game

Author: kjetilbang from Oslo, Norway
14 August 2003

10 out of 10. The missions are great, which i sometimes used a guide to. Especially the graphics which are great. The movies are also great, and the , movie graphics aren't that different from gameplay graphics. And that it is the only vice city style game i know about that has a little romance in it. One of the best stories. I can't wait for a sequel.

Scarface, GoodFella's, Godfather... Let me introduce the new member of the family...

Author: Joe Fino from USA
24 April 2003

Grand Theft Auto 3 had a good storyline, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City had a great storyline, but this game has the BEST Storyline. The Ending is for some Predictable and for others unpredictable. Either way, Its a Brilliant Gangster Story that should be made into a real movie.

The Game is fun, its better than GTA 3 but not as good as Vice City. Very Good Graphics and very Realistic.

5 out of 5, one of the greatest of all time!

Author: cbow from Calgary
6 September 2004

Yes, this is an awesome game. I hope you decided to buy it. I want this company making more games like this one.

Great graphics, voice acting straight from actors from Goodfellas and the Sopranos (those Czechs were smart to get top-quality voice acting), atmospheric music you can listen to for the entire game and not get sick of.

The physics used in the way the cars and weapons work is really top notch - totally realistic. The AI was very good. The storyline is the best I've seen in an action game (and I've been playing them for years). This was a really polished product.

There are a few things people might not like: a linear plot, your game is saved automatically at points throughout the mission, but you can't autosave yourself. These things hardly bothered me at all, because I got sucked into the story, and the autosaves were frequent enough at logical locations.

Excellent game

Author: NHL567 from Toronto, Canada
25 December 2004

this game was excellent, my machine though not the best handled the game well,the graphics could use a little touch up but overall it was fantastic, the gameplay was excellent it really does take you through an 1930's Gangsters life of crime, booze, prohibition and death, the missions for the most part were hard if not difficult however there are some missions that are so frustrating that the player would need the consulte a guide of some sort, most missions however are pretty well planned out and executed perfectly. Missions range from collecting to the old good mafia hits. Overall it was an excellent journey Storyline was pretty good, you had a nice flowing storyline and it sometimes contains little moral lessons along the way, not many of those now a days Sound i had a little problem with it, some od the weapons just didn't sound right but for the most part the sound was excellent especially the music, it actually flows quite nicely, dramatic moments have dramatic music while calm moments will have nice vintage 30's music.

overall this game was excellent and is one of the best games i have ever played note: if your wondering my system is Win Xp, 2.7 GHZ, 256mb, Radeon 7000 64mb, it the game went smoothly for me.

truly 'the godfather of games'

Author: naileddotnet ( from austin, tx
18 November 2003

this game is a lot like 'the godfather'. it might be cool to say you like it, even if you don't 'get' it.

i think that reviewing video games on the IMDB is kind of odd, but this game expands the boundaries. it really truly is almost like a movie in which you take a part in. the voice acting is great, the graphis are of course amazing. the city of lost heaven lives and breathes, the car models change as the years go on. the story develops nicely. some people complain about the driving being slow. i think its nice to cruise around the beautiful city, enjoying the lazy old music. its a nice contrast to the intense gunfights and car chases!

yes, there will be bugs. guess what? this isn't PC gamer. i dont think people should be complaining about technical issues or difficulty here. that's like saying 'i hate reservoir dogs because i can't get the disc into my DVD player'. grow a brain!

this game gets my highest rating... 4 stars, 10 out of 10, 2 thumbs up, whatever!

Great Game

Author: Blizzard_5001 from Boston, MA
1 February 2003

When i first got it, i thought the first few missions were somewhat boring. I put the game aside for a little bit. After maybe a few days, i had nothing better to do so i said, "why not?". After that i was hooked to the game. I only left the computer to eat, sleep, and do homework. The graphics in the game are so realistic and the gameplay is too. Games such as StarCraft and Spider-Man (the movie game) have great cutscene graphics, but decent gameplay graphics. Mafia's gameplay graphics are just as good as their cutscene graphics. There are a few missions i was discouraged with and found impossible to beat, but i beat the game. The storyline is a storyline that i say rivals some gangster movies.

The only problems are that sometimes you have to drive all the way across a vast, detailed city to get to your mission while obeying traffic laws. This does make the game more realistic, but its somewhat annoying at times. Another thing that after you beat the game, there is Free Ride and Free Ride Extreme. Neither of those options come anywhere close to being as good as the actual game.

The game is so realistic and lifelike. This is one of my favorite games along with Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Author: khs1138
11 November 2002

This game has the look, the scenery, the weapons, the people, and the violence from every great mob movie. Like gta 3 mafia puts you through a dramatic story of the mafia with trust and betrayal. Its one of the greatest games of all time. **** out of ****

A true interactive movie.

Author: cherox from Oslo, Norway
20 July 2004

This got to be one of the best games i've played in several years. It is made up of mafia movies clichés, but these seem to work splendid.

The story is truly magnificent, and i had problems putting this game down at night.. it makes you want to stay up forever and ever, until you have completed it.

The game features a nice 3d world that looks very 30's'ish, and cars with physics, that according to the developers, surpasses Gran Turissimo. All weapons and dialogue are realistic to the ones used at the time.

The level of difficulty is also wonderfully balanced, ensuring that it never gets tedious.. Missions vary from mob hits, robbing banks, stealing cars to walking your girlfriend home and so on; all blended into the great story.

Synopsis; The taxi driver Thomas Angelo gets mixed up in a car chase between the Morello gang and the Salieri gang, and after helping the Salieri's out, he is offered work for them. As the days go by, Tommy is soon their prime hit-man, together with Sam and Paulie (who is a clear Joe Pesci parody). But mobster life can be treacherous..

I'll give this 9/10, no doubt.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]