IMDb > Iron Jawed Angels (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Enlightening & Overwhelmingly touching, Wonderful

Author: JamiaLA from New York
17 April 2004

Even with the Hollywood spin, this movie depicts the true essence of the struggle for the 19th Amendment to the Constitution. What surprised me the most was how little I knew about the courageous devotion of these women and why our history books make little or no mention of their extraordinary struggle for us, for so many years. I loved this movie! Every cast member gave an outstanding performance, especially Hillary Swank (Alice Paul) and Frances O'Connor (Lucy Burns). Ms.O'Connor was enthralling! Every woman of voting age should see this movie about our unsung heroines. Then, older teenage daughters(& sons) nieces(& nephews),view it with supervision of some scenes. I wasn't initially drawn to this movie because of the title. I thought it was about WWII fighting airplanes. I'm so glad I tuned in for one of the best enlightening films of the decade. Bravo for HBO!

Good movie with important message

Author: Beth (hockeywench) from Tucson, AZ
14 September 2004

I think it's hard for most to remember that women have had the right to vote for less then 100 years. If nothing else this movie may help to renew interest in an issue that most like to conveniently forget. Hillary Swank and Frances O' Connor give wonderful performances as Alice Paul and Lucy Burns. And Anjelica Huston is subtle and formidable as Carrie Chapman Catt. And I loved that Inez Millholland was included-she was an important part of the movement and Julia Ormond is fabulous. This movie is beautifully shot and masterfully edited. It also has a modern soundtrack with great remixs by Sarah McLachlan, Mandalay and Lauren Hill. One criticism though-they didn't do a very good job of showing a true representation of the time and effort it took to achieve the 20th amendment. They made it seem like a few women staged a hunger strike and BAM...votes. So many women gave their health, lives and blood for the movement...they deserve more. There are ways to show time progression, they didn't choose to. More time was given over to the relationship between the suffragettes but it is very well done.

See it with your daughter!

Author: meer123 from Silver Spring, MD
6 March 2004

The story of the women's suffrage movement in America during the period 1912- 1920 moves along crisply, and the acting is of high caliber. This is not your grandmother's civil rights history; it is contemporary, relevant and occasionally funny. These are powerful, intelligent women who launch a quixotic campaign

to win voting rights against the opposition of most men, including President

Wilson, and not a few women. Set against a historical background that includes Prohibition and the outbreak of World War I, the film doesn't shy away from

tough subjects -- the human rights abuses committed against the movement's

leaders are depicted graphically and would not be suitable for young viewers. The 2000 Presidential election was a wake-up call about the need to exercise

our constitutional rights. This film reminds us never to take those rights for granted.

A story that needed to be told

Author: wllatimer from California
16 February 2004

Excellent movie with a few flaws ( music from a different time period, romance that wasn't necessary to the plot). It shows how the fight for the right for women to vote in the USA was a very tough one. People like to talk about "God given rights" but often rights have to won in a "war" by people that are willing to put everything on the line. These brave souls make life better for everybody. It seems obvious that women should have the same right to vote as men, but in the times represented by this film it was only obvious to a few. Hillary Swank and the others in the cast showed the gritty determination that it took to fight for voting rights. Rights aren't given to us. Let's not forget that!

Very Good....

Author: kti_dayne from Georgia, USA
15 March 2004

This is an extremely good and entertaining depiction of the suffragette movement at the turn of the last century. All of the front line actresses give strong and believable performances, especially Frances O'Connor as Lucy Burns, Molly Parker as Mrs. Leighton, and Brooke Smith as Mable Norman. Hillary Swank is in the lead and is excellent as Alice Paul. I thought the cinematography was superb and gave a real sense of the period. the script does an excellent job of touching on some other collateral issues and makes them interesting without distracting from the focal point of the movie, e.g., the "conflict" between the younger women in the movement and the established old guard, the attitudes of th esuffragettes towards the men in their lives, and the issues of black women as part of the movement.

My pet peeve about real life historical movies is accuracy in lieu of Hollywood license and this one stays as true to facts as you can ask...the scenes from the women's prison are more than compelling and visually forceful. As opposed to some other reviewers, I had no problem at all with the soundtrack and can't imagine why anyone would let it detract from such a well made, acted, and shot movie, especially when wse get the privilege of seeing women as something other than sirens or ornaments for the male characters.

Whether you are a history buff or not, and regardless of how you feel about the issue of women voting (cough), you'll enjoy this one...watch it on cable or pick it up when you get the chance, it will be a nice addition to your movie collection.

Women should view

Author: teacher13 from Toms River, NJ
17 October 2004

I just viewed this film and was very moved by the story and the performances. Hillary Swank was excellent as Alice and brought a believability to the character which the history books cannot convey.

All women should view this film, especially those who choose not to vote. While I have always exercised my right to vote, I did not realize what sacrifices were made so that I would have that right. Viewing this film should be part of American History classes. I don't remember ever reading about this in my history class. What perfect timing to have it air before this very important election.It reminds us that most freedoms that we enjoy are only won after much fierce determination, sacrifice, and overcoming overwhelming odds.

Fabulous flick!

Author: gwennie81 from Port Orange, FL
14 September 2004

I happened to think this was a great movie based on true events. It reminded me of how hard our fore-mothers had to work in order to win the equal vote.

Hilary Swank did a fabulous job of playing the determined Alice Paul and Frances O'Conner was great as her effervescent sidekick Lucy. The only part I thought was unnecessary was the "relationship" between Hilary and Patrick Dempsey. Such a lame attempt at romance in the middle of an already interesting film. Angelica Houston was also a strong force in this movie as the venomous Ms. Catt. I really dug how it was filmed, the scenery, costumes, and the type of music used. I totally enjoyed this movie for its ability to be educational and moving and yet integrate light-hearted vignettes. Of course there is the happy ending that everyone knew was coming! I would recommend this movie to any person interested or curious about woman's sufferage or just wants to watch a great movie. GO VOTE LADIES!!! IT WOULD MAKE THESE WOMEN PROUD!!!

Hear them roar!

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
17 February 2004

"Iron Jawed Angels" is an HBO historical biopic/docudrama which turns the lens on Swank who delivers a sterling performance as Quaker, suffragist, and women's right activist Alice Paul during her campaign to secure the 19th Constitutional amendment. Director Katja von Garnier, who gave us the wonderfully hip girl-power cult flick "Bandits", takes on the daunting task of delivering an entertaining film about a somewhat dry, esoteric subject and a relatively unknown character (as history goes) and succeeds. Sometimes whimsical, sometimes intense, spritzed with humor and drama, and packed with zingers and maxims, "Iron Jawed Angels" may be a chick flick but no man can deny nor should fail to appreciate the grace and beauty it delivers. (B+)

If you are looking for History, this is not it.

Author: michaeldoerr from United States
29 August 2005

There may be history somewhere in this made for TV movie, but many of the facts that you can independently verify are false or misleading. It appears more to be just a story of how someone wishes to remember the struggle for women's suffrage.

It is particularly inaccurate with it's drumbeat against the Republicans of the time. The 19th amendment passed against fierce Democratic opposition. The vote in the House where the Republicans controlled 240 vs 192 was 304 for, 89 against. The vote in the Senate was 56(R-36, D-20) for, 25 against (R-8, D-17).

The states that ratified the amendment were virtually all Republican. Almost no Democratic states ratified it.

One of the reasons that Teddy Roosevelt was defeated by Wilson was that TR and his party had adopted Women's Suffrage as a plank. It is also why Republicans steadily took seats in both houses during the battle.

Criminal Misrepresentation of Real Life Events by Amateurish Hack Director

Author: robert_a_ruiz from United States
12 October 2007

I've been studying the fight for women's voting rights in U.S. History class and the real story is much more interesting than what's portrayed here. For the sake of creating tension in Alice Paul's story the Angelica Houston character (Carrie Chapman Catt) is vilified and reduced from shades of gray to black and white, and President Woodrow Wilson (who is so responsible for so many good things in our lives today) is portrayed as a one-note cardboard character and anti-women. It's true that the force-feeding of Alice Paul and her friends and their tactics got press and forced Wilson to act at that particular time, but the tide was progressing anyway -- in large part due to the efforts of Carrie Chapman Catt (vilified here) and Susan B. Anthony and their contemporaries, long before Alice Paul came on the scene.

Carrie Chapman Catt and Woodrow Wilson were not the villains at all in reality, and yet here they're portrayed as such. That's absolutely criminal in my mind, and at the very least highly irresponsible.

The film also has a VERY annoying soundtrack -- faux Madonna-like -- and nonsense image manipulation to comtemporize the story (in ten years this will seem absolutely amateurish). If the director trusted her own work and the truth of what was being portrayed she wouldn't have felt she needed to "jazz it up" by resorting to these tactics.

This music is totally out of context, jarring, and fails to capture or support the mood of the era the film is set in. Besides that the director uses WAY too many film class 101 "oh wouldn't this be neat" techniques (like the shots of one tray after another in rapid succession to show Alice Paul isn't eating in jail). This is absolutely amateurish and annoying.

The love story was also glommed on to this without regard for the facts. I asked my much-admired history teacher today what she thought of the film and she wasn't a fan either. This was like watching children play acting with a script very dumbed down for the masses. There was no depth to the characterizations, no shades of gray, no powerful silences, no subtext -- nothing.

The period is fascinating and the cause of women's rights deserves to be told in a vehicle far better than this, but again my point is it is absolutely wrong to vilify good people.

The period is fascinating and the cause of women's rights deserves to be told in a vehicle far better than this -- one that doesn't twist the facts to the degree this piece of garbage does. (If you don't believe me go pick up a history book and read.)

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]