IMDb > The Haunted Mansion (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Haunted Mansion

The Haunted Mansion More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not as bad as everyone says!

Author: PsychoKlown from Wolverhampton, England
11 August 2005

When this movie came out critics and audiences were saying how rubbish it was and it was a waste of time and money, but as i have a keen interest in the paranormal i still wanted to see it anyway and i glad i did! This is a family film but there are elements of adult horror here such as suicides, murder and even zombies! The story is of a typical workaholic dad who neglects his family and decides to take them away to make up for this, but when he receives a call asking him to sell a mansion he can't refuse so off he and his family go.

Once there they meet the creepy butler Ramsley and the owner Mr Gracy who are obviously ghosts, and from then on all the supernatural events follow one-another from zombie reflections to levitating around a psychic in a crystal ball called Madame Leota. And i thought she was the best character in the film, not just because i'm a Jennifer Tilly fan but because she is very funny and has a strong personality for just a head.

The effects are as amazing as the sets with the green glow of Madame Leota, the zombies and more even the people who didn't like this film can't deny that the effects are excellent. As i said the sets are also some of the best i've seen the mansion is absolutely breathtaking.

The only thing that i think is bad with this movie is the child actors, they just look bored going round the mansion with straight faces even though they follow ghostly orbs into unknown places. But apart from this the rest of the film is great fun for kids and for the adults who aren't afraid to turn their brain off for 90mins. WATCH IT!!!!

Actually not half-bad.

Author: crowrobot
14 October 2005

'The Haunted Mansion' got a lot of bombs thrown at it by critics, and almost nobody liked it. Well, guess what: I did. It's a faithful homage to the ride, the actors are interesting, and the horror side of the story is appropriately creepy. The plot is partially based on the French version of the ride, and it's decent. Although the movie never answers the question of why Master Gracey (Nathaniel Parker, who's really good here) couldn't marry his sweetheart Elizabeth (who was black), the hints are pretty obvious. And I liked the whole concept of the curse (even though it doesn't make any sense). The little nods to the ride throughout the movie are fun, especially Jennifer Tilly as Madame Leota, a disembodied head inside a crystal ball who speaks in riddles. Tilly can do this husky-voiced role in her sleep, and I liked her (the special effects involving her are pretty neat too). Although Eddie Murphy is miscast, and there are zero laughs in the movie, his mugging for the camera doesn't hurt the movie. The kids are OK, and Marsha Thomason does what she can with a thankless role, but it's Terence Stamp who steals the movie. He is Ramsley, the sinister butler of Master Gracey. With his deep rumbling British accent, Stamp gives a deliciously over-the-top performance, and he does here what Johnny Depp did for 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. Back to Eddie Murphy for a minute: Although he earns no laughs, he plays noncomedic scenes well, and he has some good banter with Stamp. The production design of the mansion and the ghostly special effects are very cool, particularly a zombie attack that pushes the PG rating to it's limits. Is 'The Haunted Mansion' a great movie? Absolutely not; they could have punched up the comedy aspect of the movie. It's not a bad movie, though. I thought it was very entertaining, and it's certainly better than the awful trailers. Not as good as 'Pirates', but a fun ride nonetheless.

Not for lovers of the thirty-five year-old Disney attraction

Author: Ripshin from North Carolina
5 September 2004

Eddie Murphy? What genius thought up this lame script? Sure, they toss in a dozen homages to the original ride, but Disney flubbed a golden opportunity to create a classic film. Don't take one of the most-beloved rides from Disneyland/World, and come up with a sub-par comedy, with smart-mouthed kids, and a jabbering Eddie Murphy.

Tech credits are great, though.

Don't be fooled by the DVD's claim of a "Virtual Ride of The Haunted Mansion." I was expecting a recap of the actual park attraction, but was instead treated to a tour of the movie set.

Also, Disney....why not just AVOID crude jokes and profanity in this type of family film? The scares alone garner the rating you desire. Don't dumb this down when it's not necessary. Have you not learned ANYTHING since "Watcher in the Woods"? (And THAT was definitely creepier.)

Better than I expected.

Author: belva0308 from United States
10 October 2006

First of all, I am a Disney kid that grew up going to Disneyland in CA every year. Since I am a fan of the ride, "The Haunted Mansion", I guess I expected this film to be good. When I heard the mediocre reviews, I backed off from watching it until I just bought it on DVD this past weekend. I was very surprised to find it a lot better than I expected. My kids loved it and have watched it about 3 times.

The sets were beautiful and intricate, the costumes and make-up are gorgeous and the special effects are amazing. Rick Baker "Monster Maker" is so talented and has done an impressive (as always) job creating a vision from the Haunted Mansion ride that he also admired.

If you are a fan of the ride, I would imagine that you would enjoy this movie as much as me.

Not as bad as many lead you to believe.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
17 April 2007

This was a very poorly reviewed film, and it didn't deserve such flack. For me, it was a dumb, entertaining movie with some heart. For others, it was a terrible job of emulating the classic Disney ride and just another stupid Eddie Murphy comedy vehicle. Though I'd rather go on the ride as opposed to watching this, it still has it's charm. This movie is about a Realtor (Murphy) and his family traveling to a haunted mansion for a business deal. While in the house they learn some strange things and end up traveling through various rooms found in the ride (the bride, the ballroom, Madame Leota, the graveyard with the singing busts). In the end, this is a fun movie for kids, and amusing for adults, with fun references, and a fun performance by Murphy and the kids.

My rating: ** 1/2 out of ****. 85 mins. PG for mild language, violence

dull, terrible plot

Author: MLDinTN from TN
1 November 2004

This movie did not work and was a disaster, considering the budget was $90 million. The plot was so simplistic and done a thousand times. A guy, in this case a ghost, wants his long lost love back, who he thinks is reincarniated as Jim Evers' wife. He believes she committed suicide back in the day. Of course, he was tricked and betrayed by someone he trusted. So, Sara Evers gets lured back to the haunted mansion, but brings her family along. Then her husband and kids have an adventure involving ghosts and a talking crystal ball. But, it was written for a 10 year old, and it simply was not funny.

Eddie Murray had a slight come back with Daddy Day Care; that was OK and did have some funny things. But, this movie sends his career south. I don't understand why he agrees to be in these type of films; I guess for the pay check. But, I can't believe he read the script and said, "Now this is interesting, with good humor."

And the ghosts were bad CGI and not very imaginative. I could not believe the great Rick Baker was involved with this flick. Most of his ideas must not have been used.

FINAL VERDICT: I don't recommend it for anyone.

I see dead movies!

Author: inspectors71 from Fly-Over Country
17 January 2006

Another nail in the coffin of Eddie Murphy's career, The Haunted Mansion is a slap-dash attempt to cash in on The Pirates of the Caribbean, an infinitely more successful and better film based on a Disneyland ride. There's just nothing here to write about--very little human drama and not enough computer wizardry to keep you from noticing you don't care about the humans.

About the only two things worth mentioning are Jennifer Tilly's fairly funny Madame Leota, a wisecracking Gypsy trapped in a bright green crystal medicine ball and Marsha Thomason, not for any acting ability but simply that she is beautiful and her beauty relieves some of the boredom.

Oh, well. At least it didn't have some character pontificating, "Follow your heart!"--the ubiquitous and hackneyed Disney message

ENTERTAINING BUT NO DISNEY MAGIC!

Author: richard cavellero from NJ, U.S.A.
30 November 2003

Haunted Mansion boasts wonderful spfx and great zombie makeup. Haunted mansion is fast paced. Haunted Mansion is quite creative with it's storyline and imaginative sets. But what the film does lack is good performances despite Jennifer Tilly's Madame Liotta. Thew other ones just seem ok. The film's wrap up is just so contrived and seems like one of many endings thatw ill be available on the dvd. I realiaze it's an amazing feat to turn a ride into full length film. But you just don''t have enough to work with and You churn out an hour and 20 minute semi stinker. maybe it's best it shouldn't have been made. Don't get me wrong whats on screen is quite entertaining not due in large part by another annoying performance ny Eddie Murphy. But what the film truly lacks isn't enough to block the film what the film truly tries to be. A blatant family entertainer designed to bring in the bucks and it most likely will.

Disney's Latest Ghost Story

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
16 January 2005

"The Haunted Mansion" is the latest movie to be based upon an attraction at the Disney theme parks. It stars Eddie Murphy as Jim Evers, a workaholic real estate agent who finds himself and his family trapped in a mansion infested with ghosts. The movie doesn't rank as well as "Pirates of the Caribbean." The story isn't all that it should be. But the movie does have its good points. The art direction is beautiful, and there are plenty of visual gems. The ghosts seen in the graveyard are probably the best part of the movie. Terence Stamp puts in a suitably creepy performance as Ramsley, the butler, and Jennifer Tilly is kooky as Madame Leota. "The Haunted Mansion" is no "Pirates of the Caribbean," but it is still worth a look.

A Watchable Adventure, In Spite of Full of Clichés and the Presence of the Unbearable Eddie Murphy

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 November 2004

The real-estate broker Jim Evers (Eddie Murphy) and his wife Sara Evers (Marsha Thomason) are partners in their real-estate business, but Jim is workaholic and does not give much attention to his family. On their wedding anniversary, Jim promises to travel with Sara and their daughter Megan and son Michael in the weekend to a close lake, but Sara is invited to visit a mansion and Jim sees the chance of the beginning of a great deal. He decides to visit the huge house in the way to the lake, and the family is hosted by the weird butler Ramsley (Terence Stamp) and his master Gracey (Nathaniel Parker). Jim and his family pretty soon realize that the house is full of ghosts and that Gracey believes that Sara is the reincarnation of his former fiancée Elizabeth. Although full of clichés and having the unbearable Eddie Murphy, 'The Haunted Mansion' has some good moments and is watchable. The best parts are those with the participation of Emma (Dina Waters from 'Six Feet Under' and her funny voice), Ezra (Wallace Shawn) and Jennifer Tilly as the crystal ball Madame Leota. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): 'Mansão Mal-Assombrada' ('Haunted Mansion')

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]