IMDb > Live Free or Die Hard (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Live Free or Die Hard

Live Free or Die Hard More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 79: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A must-see action movie.

Author: Stinger-man from Ukraine
21 April 2008

I watched the movie at a premiere day. My girl-friend and I adore Die Hard movies and especially Bruce Willis. He is really charismatic one. The movie was filmed almost perfectly, the only thing I disliked its when that Chinese girl being hurt so much stayed on her feet nevertheless.Gush!!! It was unreal!!! But the rest: stunts, hand-made tricks, specific sense of humor - was great and amazingly impressing. I am so excited about all this stuff. I would like to wish all the crew good luck and brand new, impressing stunt-tricks, directors, screenplays 'cos guys you're worth of it!!! Ukraine is looking forward to meet Die Hard 5.0

Cinematic Excellence

Author: dirtydenzmore from United States
20 November 2007

This is the most fantastic piece of cinema I have ever viewed. That is, if cinema is defined purely by the amount of entertainment experienced by the viewer. I saw this in a tiny theater in the Adirondacks, my living room is bigger. It was still the greatest and most exciting movie I have ever seen. The time flew by. If you missed this in the theater, I highly recommend going to your local Videostop located in Hanover, Lebanon, and Andover NH, and Ludlow and Springfield VT. The part where he jumped on the jet was the most exciting (and funny) thing I have seen in a long time. Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie yet, make an effort, its great.

Top-notch action!!

Author: MichaelM24 from California
23 March 2010

It's been a long twelve years, but John McClane is back and better than ever. John McClane (Bruce Willis) is now divorced from his wife and dealing with a broken relationship with his daughter, Lucy (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). The FBI requests that he pick up a known computer hacker, Matt Farrell (Justin Long), and bring him in for questioning regarding a recent security breach of the FBI computer system. McClane arrives just in time to save Farrell's life from a team of assassins. Meanwhile, more computer attacks are being carried out by a terrorist mastermind named Thomas Gabriel (Timothy Olyphant) who is systematically shutting down a variety of utilities, bringing Washington, D.C. to a virtual halt. Farrell recognizes the pattern of events as a "fire sale," a plan to destroy the country's infrastructure. Taking Farrell into protective custody, McClane has to keep him alive as they avoid continued attempts on their lives and race against time to stop the terrorists from plunging the nation into a new stone age.

I've loved the "Die Hard" movies since I was a kid, and I knew this one would not disappoint. While I don't mind CGI in movies, "Live Free or Die Hard" is a terrific throwback to '80s action movies, and while there are a fair share of digital effects, a lot of stuff is done live and even with models, giving it something of an old school feel that elevates it above a lot of stuff that's come out in recent years. A little over 50 years old, Bruce Willis easily slips back into the role of John McClane and shows he can still kick ass. The rest of the cast is good. I particularly like Olyphant as the villain. At first I was worried how the film was going to handle the fractured relationship between McClane and his daughter, but it was thankfully done very well and did not distract from the story in the way many other parent-child relationships like this have done in other movies. Winstead plays Lucy McClane as a feisty girl who can take care of herself, and she gets some nice moments during the later half of the film.

The story is tight, has a great pace and some nice developments along the way, and the action is top notch. Director Len Wisemen brings back some of the closed-in, claustrophobic feelings that were present in the first two films. This is probably best recreated during an excellent sequence that involves McClane fighting Gabriel's second hand, Mai Linh (Maggie Q), in and around an SUV that finds its way into an elevator shaft, dangling precariously several stories about the ground. Their preceding fight ranks right up there with the fight in "Die Hard" between McClane and the terrorist Karl. And the climactic sequence in which McClane, having commandeered the terrorist's high-tech big rig, is pursued by an F-35 Lightning jet is one hell of an action set piece. Many fans complained about the film's PG-13 rating, since the previous three films were all rated R. But it didn't bother me at all. I've now seen it three times. This is a top notch action film, one of the best in the last ten years, in the finest "Die Hard" tradition, and nothing delivers action quite like a "Die Hard" movie.

John Mclane is the ORIGINAL ACTION HERO!!!

Author: TomCruiseFan99 from Cape Town, South Africa
15 April 2008

It's been 12 years since the last installment Die Hard With a Vengeance, and many would seriously doubt the validity of another John Mclane adventure. I was one of those who had serious reservations about Bruce Willis once again saving the day. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the Die Hard movies, but with new action characters popping up in the last few years (eg. Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt in the Mission: Impossible trilogy and Matt Damon as Jason Bourne in the Bourne trilogy), I was under the impression that the 90's style action movie was a dying breed.

But trust Bruce Willis to bring that style into a new era along with the help of director Len Wiseman (director of the stylistic Underworld movies). Firstly, there are very few CGI shots, and that's kind of a Die Hard tradition. To make everything as real as possible. And it works. Secondly, the acting. Well, mr. Willis still has it. John Mclane is definitely his most recognizable character. And watching this movie, one gets the feeling of catching up with an old friend again. A friend though, who is constantly getting beat up yet always manages to put a smile on your face with his trademark one-liners.The rest of the cast are uniformly above average for an action movie spectacle of this nature, unfortunately my only real problem I had in this area (actually my only real problem with the movie as a whole) was the villain. Timothy Olyphant just doesn't have the menace and maniacal glee of Alan Rickman (Die Hard) or Jeremy Irons (Die Hard With a Vengeance).

That being said though, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It's never going to be up for any Academy Awards, but you should know that when you watch a movie like this, you're looking for an action-packed thrill ride. So, think fast, look alive, Die Hard.

It all depends...

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
9 November 2007

See, I'm easily pleased. The old suspension of disbelief thing - I'll suspend mine at the drop of a hat. I'll go more than halfway to meet the filmmakers, they must love people like me.

I enjoyed Die Hard 4.0. Quite a bit. Watched the UK DVD version with my wife, expanded to include more action and bad language.

It's only afterwards that I started to think, "Hang on a bit..." I guess there are some spoilery bits in what follows.

You expect some action sequences which step gingerly over the line of plausibility - the lift shaft in DH1, the 747 wing fight in DH2, the cable slide, outracing the flood etc. in DH3. So I could deal with launching a police car at a helicopter (although I, too, wondered whey none of the cars in the tunnel put their lights on - no Volvos?). But outracing the collapsing overpass in the articulated lorry, and dancing about on the Harrier, took such flying leaps over that line of implausibility that my wife and I sat there howling with laughter.

And I've got to say, I don't need swathes of foul language in order to enjoy a film. It doesn't upset or offend me especially, I just find it irritating that filmmakers think it's necessary when it isn't.

Good bits - I really liked Justin Long. Played nicely away from his customary nerd persona, had some edge, hit a note of credibility throughout. Good job. The attack on Justin Long's apartment was a good sequence. I liked the young Miss McClane, too, and I could envisage a Die Hard spin off franchise with these two in it. I thought the cyberplot was credible (and I recall the traffic chaos taking place in Turin in the original Italian Job many years ago, so I was quite prepared to believe that) although I too would have liked to know what the end purpose was - that kind of got overlooked. And I liked Maggie Q - I thought her fight scenes were very good, and she had an element of hard-faced relentlessness to her which was a strong plus.

Not-so-good bits? Maybe the character Willis played in Unbreakable was John McClane in disguise - you can bruise him, cut him, make his vest dirty, but you can't kill him. This is OK up to a point, but there were some ordeals he went through which were so outrageous that they didn't convince. And when he fired that shot - through his collarbone, it appeared to me - which then killed Timothy Olyphant, I was a little surprised to find him up and quipping about 10 minutes later.

Why did the gas in the gaspipes explode? I can understand Timothy Olyphant killing the hackers who'd freelanced the work which hacked into the national infrastructure - stops the powers that be tracing him - but why did he kill the ones who were still working for him? Lots of plot holes which needed filling.

So it's a romp if you're not terribly demanding, but it shortchanges you fairly comprehensively if you're at all inclined towards being critical.

Try Hard 4.....just a bit too trying...

Author: Rob_Taylor
6 August 2007

Well, I was reasonably entertained. But most of the entertaining is down to seeing Bruce Willis on screen again. The story, muddle-headed as it is, just makes you shake your head mostly.

As for the action, it's reasonable enough, but hampered by a 13 rating it was never going to have the grit and gore of the earlier films. That said, there are some original scenes (the car into helicopter one, for example) but mostly its tired old stuff we've seen before (and done better) in other movies. The jet attacking vehicles on the freeway seems to have been lifted mostly from True Lies. Our hero even ends up on top of the jet just like Arnie did in True Lies.

Later there was the scene where nobody driving in a suddenly darkened tunnel remembered that their cars had lights..nonsensical junk, but again, I gritted my teeth and, like McClaine, soldiered on. Sadly, thence came the jet scene and my heart sank, accompanied by an uncontrollable rise in my indignation.

And whilst I mention the jet/freeway scene it is with continuing regret that I have to inform you that scriptwriters continue to ignore anything remotely like common sense when writing scenes. Just like with MI:3, here they put a high-tech warmachine into a situation it blatantly doesn't have to be in to accomplish its task. At one point the jet (is the F35 even in service yet?) hovers down and under the freeway to get at its target. Who would have thought a semi-trailer rig would be so difficult to hit? I'd detected the seeds of "Hollywoodism" much earlier on in the movie, what with the standard portrayal of anything to do with hacking being colourful 3D graphics and more screens than a Benidorm beach in high summer. But I'd gritted my teeth, snorted in derision and continued to watch anyway, hoping that was the worst of it.

A great franchise was ruined by this movie because of the idiocy of scene-writers and the greed of the studios.

Luckily for me however, the movie is already fading to a dim memory. It wasn't really that memorable anyhow.

RIP...Die Hard.

Die Hard 4: Dieing a Death

Author: betyouaint from United Kingdom
3 August 2007

I was seriously looking forward to this fourth instalment of the Die Hard movies as the previous three had always lived up to, and in many cases exceeded my expectations. How could this long awaited sequel ever fail to impress? Well, in the first instance I didn't believe the threat. The main bad guy was no Hans Gruber and, unlike Rickman and Irons, he in no way managed to portray the menacing, twisted, psychopath required to perpetrate such an evil deed. Secondly, I didn't believe the action. Despite his ageing physique, John McClane has gone from "hard as nails" tough guy to indestructible superhero. However, in the context of this film he would need to as most of his adversaries seem pretty indestructible too. Ninja moves might make you an excellent opponent in hand to hand combat but I'm not sure they would protect you from being driven through several brick and glass walls on the bonnet of a car. Yes, by the nature of the genre, the stunts are inevitably far fetched but on this occasion they take suspension of disbelief to the doorstep of children's fantasy fiction.

This is a movie on par with Terminator 3. Definitely watchable, with a half decent story and plenty of over the top action that would justify a weekend rental. Unfortunately, it is paled by its predecessors.

Maybe Ten Years Too Late

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
26 January 2010

Hollywood isn't a place famous for its imagination and why should it be ? Movies are made to make money for the studios and if the start hemorrhaging money that means , producers , writer , directors and stars sitting around their swimming pools crying in to their cocktails knowing that they're condemned to live life topping up their suntan and no longer seeing their name appear on movie credit sequences . In other words Hollywood and its cronies like to play things safe hence studios churning out sequels and films that feel entirely similar to films you saw last year . DIE HARD 4 is a good example of this type of movie . Unfortunately you're left with the feeling you saw it over a decade a go not last year

The plot takes much of the blame . A computer genius hacks in to the government's system and creates a small taste of hell and if he doesn't get a large amount of loot from the authorities he's going to arrange it that America has the same technological level as Neanderthal man . The problem with this scenario is that it we've seen it all before in films like THE NET and GOLDENEYE . The plot is far better suited to a film released in 1997 rather than 2007 . Even then the action blockbuster was becoming rather stale and over saturated with such " stars " as Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme carving out a niche for themselves . Having a big name like Bruce Willis playing a wise cracking violent good gu

y in a film full of explosions and stunts doesn't seal success anymore That said DIE HARD 4 has a certain nostalgia to it . Bruce Willis after showing his acting credentials in the likes of THE SIXTH SENSE and UNBREAKABLE returns as John Mclane to remind us why he used to be a famous action star . There might be some slight cynicism he's just returning to pick up a bumper pay cheque since his career had been floundering for a few years but despite this McLane is a much more human superman compared to say Arnie in TERMINATOR 3 a film that shows just how anachronistic late 1980s blockbusters are transplanted in to the early 21st Century

Fantastic no-nonsense movie!

Author: matthijs-tieleman from Netherlands
24 October 2009

This movie is simply one of the best movies I have ever seen. I understand that some people think this movie is bad but it really isn't. Let me explain why.

First of all, these days I am getting sick of people making TV shows and movies pretending everything is realistic. You have these endless stream of so-called "realistic" movies and TV- shows. Take series like Prison Break ,for example, which pretends to portray American prison-life in a realistic way. For me, those TV-shows or movies just mainstream and even though they can be fun to watch, it's not really cool.

Live Free or Die Hard (and all the Die Hard movies for that matter) is just one of those movies that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a really funny action movie in which there is just an endless stream of impossible action scenes and Bruce Willis making one-liners. Everyone knows when they're watching Die Hard, it's not about realism. Bruce Willis portrays John McClane, once again, brilliantly as the man who's "always at the wrong place, at the wrong time". Also the nerdy hacker guy, played by Justin Long, is also a funny addition to the movie, because he is a super tech-guy and not all hero and John McClane is a-technichal and a super hero. That's what makes the combination brilliant. You have to love the one-liners and the action that is in this movie and if you do, it's one of the best movies out there!

I'm ready for Die Hard 5!

A belated sequel that certainly doesn't disappoint!

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
9 July 2007

I have to say, I'm not usually a big fan of belated sequels to films made years ago - but I have to make an exception here as Die Hard 4 offers an amazingly good time and is surely the best of the sequels - possibly even the best Die Hard film period! The film is almost completely made up of relentless and heart pumping action sequences, and while it might not be life-affirming stuff, you wont care about much else while you're watching it - so it's safe to say that the third Die Hard sequel more than does it's job! As you would probably expect since this is the first Die Hard movie of this millennium, the plot this time round focuses on the internet. Most of the USA is controlled by computers, so naturally they find themselves with a big problem when someone hacks into the system and begins a 'fire sale' - in which all the essential elements of the USA (transport, communication, power etc) are systematically shut down to create confusion and chaos. Detective John McClane is dragged into this plot when he's sent to pick up a computer hacker wanted by the police.

One of the things I loved most about this film is the fact that it's just a straight action thriller and doesn't ever pretend to be anything that it isn't. There's no false patriotism or sentiment - it's all very straight up, just the way it should be! The film is directed by Underworld director Len Wiseman and it's clear that the man knows his way around an action sequence, as this film features plenty! The stunts involve all sorts from the standard trucks and cars to helicopters and fighter jets! It's not just the vehicles involved either that makes these scenes great to watch; someone has actually put some thoughts into them so they're not just merely the same old stuff. You've really got to hand it Bruce Willis too; he's 52 but fit as a fiddle and never looks out of place running round and fighting bad guys. He is joined by Justin Long, who is likable as the computer hacker who spends most of the movie running around with Willis, and Timothy Olyphant who is a surprisingly effective lead villain. Overall, so long as you don't go into Die Hard 4 expecting substance, there's no reason why this movie can't be enjoyed by all. Its pure action and entertaining throughout, and you really can't ask for any more than that! Just make sure that you see it in cinema.