IMDb > Blind Horizon (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Excellent mystery

Author: SILENCEikillyou from The Florida Keys
27 April 2005

I noticed a lot of people saying the plot in this movie is too complicated. Perhaps. If you go to see a movie for simplicity and lots of action. If that's the case, this movie isn't for you. However, if you like to work things out in your mind while you watch an enjoyable storyline and deep plot; then look no further. I'm surprised this movie didn't get higher marks -as surprised as I am that it wasn't showcased more with other mainstream movies. With names like Val Kilmer, Amy Smart, and Neve Campbell. I enjoyed every second of this film and I think it's well worth seeing at least once to see of you agree.

Performances by the cast were right on the money. I read someone putting Amy Smart down for her hair being less that glamorous... OH BROTHER. Don't know many nurses that work the late shift, eh? Besides it was fine and she still looks cute. Neve, on the other hand WAS gorgeous with a cute bob. However, appearances don't matter in this film. They all did a great job. OK, maybe Sam Shepard phoned his role in... but he was highly believable and a small town sheriff.

Val Kilmer was awesome in his quirky way. He made you believe he really did have amnesia. You could definitely tell where he put his own nuances to the role. He's quite a perfectionist... and a genius.

The directing was well-placed. There were other stories to tell for such a small town and this movie showed them all without leaving the central theme. The mystery unravels bits and pieces at a time; like it should and you never REALLY know for sure what's going to happen next. Terrific! I voted 9/10 because I haven't seen such a tremendous film so well hidden before. You be your own judge, but definitely give this film in the shadows a try.

Smart and stylish thriller

Author: dima-12 from Belgrade, Serbia
18 January 2004

BLIND HORIZON is a smart and stylish thriller that marks two Val Kilmer back-to-back triumphs. First off, it is his second powerful and twisted thriller rebound after SALTON SEA. And then again he hits the right notes in an Emmet/Furla production, right after WONDERLAND.

Hausman`s stylish and crafty direction is accompained by a smart and intriguing script about the amnesiac who realizes that he is somehow involved in the assassination plot against US president. The writers fully integrate small town noir dynamics with the well-known concept of amnesiac hitman. This film is taking us down the familiar path but it`s very accomplished so it`s a joy being taken to places we already visited. The only shortcoming is the very end, those last couple of minutes that I won`t spoil but even that can`t deny the sheer fun you get with this playful neo-noir.

This is a great movie!

Author: newfiesailor from Canada
27 August 2006

Don't let the rating of the IMDb fool you. This is truly a great movie, very comparable to Blood Simple. Both movies revolve around a magnificent representation of small town southern US, and the setting plays a huge role in both.

The acting is peerless in this film, with Val Kilmer at his finest and notable supporting performances by Sam Shephard, Amy Smart and Neve Campbell. I would imagine most people who voted poorly for this movie were put off by it's slower pace but to myself, it was sheer magic. This movie hits every right note.

Val Kilmer plays Frank Kavanaugh, a man who wakes up in a border town with amnesia after being shot in the head. The rest of the movie is Frank recalling tiny glimpses of his memory brought on by sudden triggers involving the President of the United States, scenes of violence, and mental images of people and places. Neve Campbell plays Kilmer's suspicious wife, Amy Smart is Frank's nurse and Shephard plays the small town sheriff investigating Frank's shooting.

The difference in this movie and some of the big budget Hollywood films is how they manage to capture some of the smaller scenes so right. The seedy bars, the desolation, the cheap hotels, the small hospital. Incredible and has to be seen for that direction alone.

If you are a fan of truly great direction on a lower budget film with grittiness, plot twists and amazing performances then look no further. This is your movie.

Classify it under "The Hidden Gems" category.

Interesting movie, but done before

Author: xer0derm from NJ
2 January 2004

The movie overall was very entertaining with plenty of twists and turns. However, for the most part many of the deceptions have been done before, making for a relatively predictable movie. None the less, I found it extremely entertaining, and would definitley watch it again in order to get a better understanding of the movie as a whole.

Nifty Little Thriller, Better Than You'd Think!

Author: Ben Burgraff (cariart) from Las Vegas, Nevada
11 October 2006

"Blind Horizon", an amnesia action/mystery with some 'big name' stars, went straight to DVD without ever being theatrically released, so many have 'written it off' as a lousy film; but if you give it a chance, this is actually a very entertaining little gem! Directed by Michael Haussman, the distributor, Lion's Gate, dissatisfied with the rambling 'director's cut', brought in ace film editor Alain Jakubowicz to punch up the film, and his re-cut gives the movie an edgy, fast-paced 'look', reminiscent of Christopher Nolan's "Memento", especially in the central portrayal of Val Kilmer's "Frank Kavanaugh". A likable 'lost soul', shot and left to die in the desert, who knows vague details of a plot to assassinate the President, he gradually discovers he is not a 'nice' person, and is, in fact, a key player in the high-level conspiracy. But as with Harrison Ford, in "Regarding Henry", his amnesia offers him an opportunity to 'change' his whole persona...if he can survive the attempts to silence him, and conquer his own instincts as a 'hit man'.

Blessed with a first-rate cast, "Blind Horizon" offers many intriguing supporting portrayals, from a likable local sheriff (Sam Shepard), and his politically ambitious deputy (Noble Willingham), to the mysterious 'fiance' (Neve Campbell) Kavanaugh can't seem to remember, and the beautiful nurse (Amy Smart), he'd LIKE to know better, to a mysterious 'contact' (Faye Dunaway), who drifts in and out of his dreams, with missing pieces of the puzzle. Kilmer is, as always, eminently watchable, capturing both the innocent and unsavory sides of Kavanaugh very effectively, and making his climactic actions worth waiting for.

Of special note is the film score, written by the collective group of composers, Machine Head. Working with non-traditional instruments, the 'sound' is both musical and mysterious, and ideally suits the film's ambiguity.

"Blind Horizon" certainly deserves a look, as a film far better than it's ill-fated history would indicate. I enjoyed it, and I think you will, too!

Intriguing made-for-video thriller

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
10 July 2005

STAR RATING: ***** The Works **** Just Misses the Mark *** That Little Bit In Between ** Lagging Behind * The Pits

Having sustained a head injury, Frank (Val Kilmer) awakens in hospital with nothing but a vague recollection of events that went before him and a knowing that the president will be assassinated in a small American town. With few people finding his story credible, he must race against the clock to put the pieces together and prevent wrong-doing of terrible proportions...

This is an engrossingly brainy video effort with an impressive use of camera and colour. Kilmer is never usually my most enjoyable of actors, but he is impressive here and so are the supporting cast including Noble Willingham, Neve Campbell and Faye Dunaway. ***

A Mess

Author: Jim Henderson from Toronto Canada
6 November 2005

I could go on about the plot holes and inexplicable missing elements (like main character motivations!), the thin characters with no real opportunity to develop, a musical score that is off base it is almost funny, and finally a director who clearly is out of his element when not doing music videos.

Note to the director: Scenes, camera movement, and music are supposed to serve the story not become the story.

From reading the comments it looks like the original script had promise (I would say the ideas are interesting and might explain how they were able to attract some name actors) but the leadership of the film obviously did not have any real vision on how to bring all the elements together.

An example of a real bad choice would be the constant use of Middle Eastern influenced vocalizations in a movie that is supposed to be set in Southern New Mexico. Now that is not to put down the actual music, as it is really pretty good own it's on. It just seems to me nobody was questioning the direction of the musical choices.

For me this is a failure by the director. In every major element of the film; from editing, the character choices made by the actors, the score, and the cinematography it is like they all were trying to do there own thing. No one seemed to be insuring that all the oars were rowing in the same direction.

Deja Vu

Author: plutokennedy from Europe
5 January 2004

A man gets shot, wakes up from a coma suffering from amnesia. He tries to figure out who he is and why he feels that the president's life is in danger. This not overly original plot is rather awkwardly handled by director Micheal Haussman, who makes sure that you figure out what is really happening pretty fast. This just proves that music video directors are not necessarily great story tellers. Decent performances by most of the cast, but Kilmer's is not very believable. Still, the movie is watchable, though it clearly has a 'direct to DVD' feel to it.

a man looses his memory and then drinks lots of tequila

Author: Jeroen de Lange
22 June 2004

Trust me, if I wake up in a hospital, having amnesia as a result from a bullet to the head and I have a vague recollection it's got something to do with killing the president. I'ld be out of that little town fast, real fast.

No, not in this movie, our hero spends the next hour or so (of the movie!!!) in the local pub drinking beer and tequilas and smoking one cigarette after the other. Trust me, I speak out of experience, that's the way to loose your memory, not to regain it.

There might have been more to it but I didn't get it. I don't think you will either...

Impressive work from a newcomer

Author: Mino
14 April 2006

Very well made mystery-thriller. I had never heard of Michael Hausmann before, and believed the movie was directed by Tony Scott, because it resembles in pace and editing with 'Man on Fire' and/or 'Domino'. The overall atmosphere is dark, and Val Kilmer succeeds in portraying a man caught in a maze, on the verge of right and wrong and gradually finding out what is going on with him and the plot to assassinate the president, without falling on either side. As Frank's memory gradually returns, it reveals piece by piece, the plot to assassinate the president in a small town in the middle of nowhere, doesn't emphasize on mind-games in order to surprise the audience with a surprising twist (this I consider a plus, and a rarity lately), but instead keeps up the fast paced action to the very end. Despite his middle-aged rugged looks, Val Kilmer hasn't lost his charisma. Sam Sheppard is in top form as is Neve Campbell and Giancarlo Esposito, but the one that really surprised me was Amy Smart.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]