IMDb > "The Surreal Life" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Surreal Life" More at IMDbPro »

Corey Feldman is good TV

Author: james-naze from Leominster, MA
31 January 2003

Corey Feldman finally found an avenue for his talent. Provided his talent is being a self absorbed loser! This show is fantastic. It is the perfect thing for helping you feel better about your own life. Gabrielle is sweet and seems to have a clue, Hammer is hammer, and Vince, surprisingly, supplies some very touching moments. I can't wait for next week.

the second season was my favorite

Author: Noir-It-All from Allentown, PA
13 December 2005

I liked the first season, but the second was my favorite. I loved everyone on the show. There was something about them so I ran to the IMDb and looked up their birthdays. Sure enough, except for Traci Bingham, they were all water signs! I liked Ron Jeremy. You can tell he is pretty bright and has beautiful eyes. I liked Tami Faye, too. Erik Estrada played the father figure well and I loved how Vanilla thought of him as a brother. Traci seemed like a nice person, but does have a wild streak. Trishelle does drink a lot but that "intervention" by Sally Jesse Raphael rattled her. I would show Trishelle or anyone who drinks a photo of Brigitte Neilsen (season 3) who has not aged well. I was appalled how 'Gitte would drink and pass out, leaving the Dave Coultier with the work of leading the musicians through rehearsal, compete by acting like an idiot on stage, then hug those little boys on her team while dressed totally inappropriately. Now, there's someone who needs an intervention.

Funnier Than Most Scripted Sitcoms

Author: Uxbridge
25 September 2005

Like an earlier poster commented, I didn't give this a show a chance until accidentally tuning into it one night. From then on, I found it funny (in an ironic way). I first watched the series with Corey Feldman, Trisha from Real World, Ron Jeremy, et al. I give these people a lot of credit (or guts) for doing this. The camera isn't always kind and the crew records EVERYTHING these folks say. What's amusing about this show is that there's always the "strange one" (Chyna Doll, Verne Troyer, or Vanilla Ice, for example) who wig out or go off on some sort of inexplicable bender...the "what-the-hell-love-match" (Adrianne Curry and Chris Knight or Flavor Flav and Brigitte Nielsen) which is hilarious to watch, though you kind of root them on, too...then the "obnoxious ones" (Feldman, Jerry Manthey, Ryan Starr, Omarosa, etc.) who seem to have checked their manners and sensitivity at the door. Janice Dickinson (in the latest one) is a whole other ball game, given that she's just plain mean to the bone and bitter (apparently she has some horrible and serious past issues she hasn't dealt with yet). I hate to say it but I dig this show and it's worth a peek. You may find yourself laughing at some of the most hair-brained things that are said or done by these poor celebs!

Corey Feldman lives!!! Surreal Life Rules!!!

Author: Chris Thompson (skyboy1999) from Toronto, Canada
23 January 2003

After watching the first three episodes of this funny, (yes actually it is pretty funny!) new WB show, I understand while Corey Feldman is no longer working in Hollywood. The plot, is pretty simple, there are seven celebrities (and I use the term "celebrities" loosely) living in a nice house somewhere in Hollywood. That's it, there is no plot, there is no elimination, or charity, or anything else. You just watch and see what stupid thing the producer's have them do next. The highlight of the show thus far, is Feldman's constant, almost maternal need for attention. Everything seems to have to focus around him, his girlfriend, his ex-girlfriends, and his new album (God help us all). While most of the others (Rocker Vince Neil, ex-playmate Brandi Rodderick, Emmanual Lewis (Webster from tv), the classic M.C Hammer) seem to take the show for what it is, a paid vacation, and a chance to have some fun. However, Feldman, along with Gabrielle Carteris, and that annoying chick from Surrvivor think that it's actually going to help jumpstart or re-start their careers. It's funny at times, but sad as well, as most of these people have had their "fifteen minutes" and they ain't gettin' them back. If you want a little nostalgia from the 80's and early 90's, and a chance to see just how far some superstars have fallen, give "Surreal Life" a chance. But you'd better hurry, because it's on the WB, so it probably won't last long. Hey, here's an idea for a sequel. Vanilla Ice, Screech (from saved by the bell) Jimmy Walker, and Elizabeth Berkley...

Morality flushed down the toilet

Author: pooh_senior
12 January 2003

It's funny to watch D-list celebrities live in a house together. Gives my life purpose. It was really funny watching MC hammer and all the crappy celebrities. This ranks right with Celebrity Boxing and the Celebrity Mole. I wonder what other punish tv has in store for our has-been elite.

all in all,the surreal life is a good show

Author: woterfalz1991 from America
13 June 2005

The surreal life takes place in a l.a. mansion,where fallen stars gather. It's one of the only realty shows I will watch. Though not the most intelligent show,its quite entertaining. A few odd couples have fourmed on the show,such as Chris Night(the Brady bunch)And Addrine Curry(Americas next top model)And flavaFlav and Briget Nelson. Its not the best show I have ever seen,but I think its the best reality show on t.v. to date. Maybe I would not feel that way if shows like survivor(no offense to those who like that show) where taken taken off the air and replaced with shows more like the surreal life.But that is not the case,so I think that the surreal life is the best reality show is on t.v. to date.

addictive

Author: wannasurf2 from USA
20 September 2004

I never quite got into the first season, but the second one had a combination of cast members that could possibly never be topped. In reality, if any one of the following were not on the show: Ice, Erik, Jeremy or Tammy, then it just wouldn't have been the same. I would like to see an "all-star" version of this show using the better cast mates from each season without the two or three "filler" celebrities that they feel they must ad to each season...you know...the ones that were mediocre, even in their prime, or are simply reality "stars". After viewing reruns on VH1, I have gained new respect for the first season however, and the third one is getting pretty interesting...in a train wreck sort of way. I just think that Jordan and the sour "too good for everyone" girl (cannot remember her name) both are putting a hurt on their future careers by doing this show...neither came off very well.

Amazing Show

Author: awrootbeer04ktbspa from United States
28 March 2005

this show is one of the best reality shows. it is very humorous and just crazy fun. The Fourth season is the best by far. The mixture of celebrities they put in the house this time is amazing!! their personalities jump off each other really well. The people in the house that really stand out this season are Chyna doll, Verne Troyer, Christoper knight and Adrianne curry. With Chyna doll's love drama, and Verne's peeing on the wall, and Adrianne fawning over Chris, there's sure to be something that will interest you in this show. This show also helps people to realize Chris isn't Peter Brady anymore, he is his own person. So if you're looking for a great laugh, check this show out, it will have you in tears, in no time!

Tammy Faye was wonderful

Author: stinkysiobhan from San Mateo, CA
25 July 2004

I just watched the marathon on VH1. I was totally hooked. I thought Tammy Faye was wonderful. I always thought of her as the crying, mascara-running-down-her-face weirdo for Jesus. She really does have a kind heart and she's adorable. She was so funny at the book signing and she really touched everyone and she is tolerant of everyone.

I thought the cast was wonderful. Rob was great when he finally broke down and started to accept the past. He was terrific when he apologized to Traci. She, on the other hand, is kind of a mess. She's pretty, but in a really strange plastic way. Her views on animal rights are conflictive. She's been fed the PETA line but I don't think she really understands it, plus she should be more respectful and tolerant to those who do not want a vegan lifestyle. She seems like she is in love with the engagement ring and the idea of a fiancée but hasn't thought out what her commitment is to her fiancée. Fittingly, he seemed vain and self-absorbed, too. Ron was so nice to everyone. What a great guy! and funny, too! I was surprised to find out that he earned a masters degree in special education. Cool. I loved Erik. He was super. I loved his sense of humor and cool attitude. Trishelle is young and pretty and seems like a whole lot of fun. Sally was a total bitch to her and completely unfair.

It was really fun to watch and I can hardly wait for the next go-round. I'm hoping that Charo was will great. Cheers to all.

Corey Feldman steals the show... again! (possible spoilers)

Author: Cubanita1117
12 July 2004

The Surreal Life is both the funniest and saddest show I've ever seen. The funniest was the camping episode. The saddest, of course, was a tie between the Las Vegas episode and the wedding episode (the wedding was the happy part, the fact that it was the last episode was sad). And I now have a different perspective on every person in the cast. Let's start with my favorite, Corey Feldman. I've always had a crush on him. But after watching this, I have a lot more respect for him, which may seem surprising to everyone else, since he's the quote-unquote attention whore. But to me, he's just misunderstood, and I can totally relate to that. I also found him to be quite funny. And I could see how very much in love he is with Susie during each episode, leading to the final episode, their wedding day. At the time, I wished I was the one with the ring on her finger. Oh, wait, I still do! Let's see... Emmanuel "Manny Mo" Lewis still reminds me of a precocious ten-year-old. So adorable. Hammer really has changed since his genie pants days... but for the better, of course. I thought Brande Roderick, Playmate of the Year, was a real sweetheart. Jerri Manthey from "Survivor" was a total bitch the whole way through, especially toward Corey, even after he apologized to everyone for things he'd said and done– which I thought was a big thing to do on his part. I could go either way on Gabrielle Carteris of "90210"– I either liked her or hated her in the show (I definitely couldn't stand her during the Las Vegas show when she made Corey cry, and when she left her friends at the strip club), but for the most part, I liked her. As for Vince Neil, I had this image of him as the typical, superficial, "sleep all day, party all night" rock star with a penchant for drinking, smoking, and groupies. But as I watched the show, I realized not all rock stars take the same form. I cried during the Las Vegas episode when he talked about how his four-year-old daughter died of cancer, and how he stopped praying to God after she'd passed away. And then later, during church, everyone prayed for him and he revealed later in the episode that that same night, for no reason at all, he prayed. Then I lost it when I saw the pictures of him and his daughter. I was also expecting him to hook up with some girls, but he was so loyal to his fiancee. I gained about twice the respect for him that I gained for Corey. Overall, the show was great, and it was nice to see that no one got voted out with each episode, as in "The Real World" or "Survivor". I give this show a 10 out of 10... well, the first season, anyway. I never did get to see the second season, but I can't wait for the third, with Charo, Jordan Knight, Flavor Flav, Dave Coulier, and Ryan Starr (I know I'm missing a few others, but that's okay. I'll see it this September!