IMDb > Rugrats Go Wild (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rugrats Go Wild

Rugrats Go Wild More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Forgettable, confusing, with few laughs

Author: cs100 from Midwest, USA
16 June 2003

I saw this film with my daughter (6 years old) and her friend (7), none of whom are Rugrats fans, mostly because they consider the Rugrat's humor to be too immature and inappropriate. My daughter and I did, however, mostly enjoy last year's The Wild Thornberrys Movie.

The plot is a literal and figurative shipwreck. The Rugrats and their parents end up on an uninhabited island somewhere in the Pacific, on which the Thornberrys happen to be. Various groups and individuals splinter off in search of others. By the time Nigel Thornberry gets knocked on the head and reverts to the mental age of a 3 year-old, I had lost track of who was looking for whom and why. How a kid is supposed to follow all these machinations is beyond me.

The sheer number of characters and the randomness with which they run into each other prevent any sort of character depth from being explored. For example, in The Wild Thornberrys Movie, considerable attention was given to Darwin the monkey, who is one of the more interesting characters in this entire assembly (Darwin is smart and makes very insightful observations of human behavior, but he can only communicate with one person, Eliza - to everyone else, he is a dumb monkey). However, here he has what could be characterized as a cameo appearance at best. So, unless you are already familiar with all the characters, and don't expect much in terms of character development, you'll be disappointed.

I think there was a moral to the story (something about leadership and redemption), but I was nodding off by the end of the movie, having lost track of the plot. The audience I saw the film with was mostly subdued, with only a few audible laughs. My daughter and her friend said they liked the movie, but they like every movie I take them to, as long as I buy them popcorn. They did not talk about the movie at all the rest of the weekend. On the way home, we listened to the Lilo & Stitch soundtrack, which has much better songs than the few musical numbers in this movie.

I'm not giving this movie the worst rating, because it might be enjoyable for a few Rugrat fans. And the Rugrats' potty humor is not as bad as it could have been, although there are diaper jokes, bird droppings, and Spike the dog raises his leg a few times.

To paraphrase Debbie Thornberry at one point, when I write about this film - and I will - I will not be kind.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
20 September 2003

The end credits for "Rugrats Go Wild!" include a section headed "Klasky Csupo Accounting," which unfortunately figures; this third theatrical outing for the Rugrats and second one for the Wild Thornberrys plays more like a marketing exercise than an actual movie.

With this big-screen crossover of two TV shows, you'd think that they'd both get equal time, but due to their show having been more successful and having their full name in the title (it was originally called "Rugrats Meet The Wild Thornberrys" before someone decided that was too obvious), Tommy, Chucky and the rest get more time on screen than the far more appealing Eliza Thornberry and Co; it's not until near the end that they're on anything like equal footing, and by then the movie's been sabotaged by a plot that's too skimpy for words (the Pickles, Finster and DeVille families - plus Susie - get stranded on the same island that the Thornberrys have pitched up on for their latest jaunt, and cue much running around and shrieking), an ounce of actual amusement amongst a ton of shrill and strained gags, too many characters squeezed into too little time, and far too many songs, pop or otherwise (Chrissie Hynde. Why?).

Having Bruce Willis do the voice of Spike doesn't help much, and neither does including some of the most heavy-handed movie references this side of a Leslie Nielsen comedy. In fact, the movie officially becomes a waste of time when their boat capsizes and it turns into a mini-homage to "The Poseidon Adventure," capped by Angelica singing "The Morning After" in her toy karaoke machine. (If only she had been the character played by Stella Stevens.)

But even that's more forgiveable than having Stu say "I can't help feeling partially responsible." Stealing lines from "The Simpsons" is the final insult... Eliza's older sister and Betty DeVille are the only ones to emerge intact. Note to Paramount: ENOUGH ALREADY!

Forgetful; Looks a Bit Like a Gimmic k

Author: StephenBurg from United States
2 January 2012

In Nickelodeon's fifth theatrical movie based on their world famous Nicktoons, the Rugrats and the Wild Thornberrys come together. Rugrats, SpongeBob, Ren and Stimpy and Wild Thornberrys were Nickelodeon's most famous shows, so, that being said, you can see why I think this is a gimmick. The movie starts like the other two: with the babies believing their in a parody; this time it's a very loose reference to The Wild Thornberrys. It reveals that Nigel Thornberry is the babies' hero as everyday they watch his nature show. In a completely unrelated plot, Stu takes all the families on a cruise, but they all end up on an island where the Thornberrys picked for their next expedition. (A bit too coincidental, don't you think?)The adults try to plan ways to get out of their island prison while the babies go off on another weird and somewhat gross adventure, this time they come face-to-face with their amnesiac hero, Angelica is with Debbie and we finally hear what Spike has to say while he talks with Eliza. The writing went a bit too far; they could have gone without a few subplots. Random numbers appear all over the place for a "Scrath and Sniff" contest that nobody remembers. This was my first movie in theaters.

My Rating: 5/10 Rated PG for Mild Rude Humor

Two great shows don't always make the best movie

Author: neenahhh
2 January 2011

I'm pretty sure that I probably watched this movie when it was still playing in the movie theaters a long time ago. I still don't know why I decided to download this movie and rewatch it after 8 long years.

Comparing my experience now to the 7(or 8)-year-old kid that I was, I can say that I enjoyed this movie a whole lot more, before. It's no big surprise since this movie was targeted towards kids. It was a big plus that during my fresh childhood years, the Rugrats was one of my favorite TV shows. I also watched The Wild Thornberrys every once in a while. With that being said, I guess I enjoyed this movie just because the sight of seeing my favorite characters on the big screen, was already great to me.

It was a decent movie experience. I even got that happy feeling- you know, the one that you feel when the hero finally saves the day after numerous hardships and obstacles- when Donnie took over Darwin's spot and helped raise the Comvee up with his super hyper energy and also, when the babies and Nigel saw the Giant Squid.

It seemed kind of short, though. Also, I felt that they didn't give Eliza much screen-time. It kind of revolved around the babies plus Donnie. You can see Lil kind of mature here when she told her brother to stop eating bugs because it was hurting them. It reminded me of a typical older sibling-younger sibling relationship. Not two babies.

I liked the Rugrats in Paris movie and The Wild Thornberrys Movie better than this one. There was more development in both films. In this movie, nothing really happened, come to think of it. The starting and the ending were the best parts of the movie. But it was still enjoyable, seeing as I grew up with the characters of the film. It made me feel a bit nostalgic.

Having said that, I think that both shows are great, but when put together, it didn't make the best movie. They shouldn't have done a cross-over.

If you're a Rugrats and/or The Wild Thornberrys fan, you may consider trying this. But don't expect it to be amazing. You're better off watching The Rugrats Movie, Rugrats in Paris or The Wild Thornberrys Movie.

Rugrats Go Wild

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
4 January 2010

Most kids will probably think the Rugrats meeting The Wild Thornberrys would be a match made in heaven, and it almost could have been with more effort put in. Basically Stuart 'Stu' Pickles (Jack Riley) has planned a vacation, but miss their boat and are forced to board a rented boat. Unfortunately all in the boat, parents and babies together are caught in a tidal wave and end up stranded on a deserted island, with very little food and no way to get help. They do not realise living on this island are the Thornberry family, led by father/husband Nigel (Tim Curry), and with the girl who can talk to animals, Eliza (Lacey Chabert). While the parents try to find a way off the island, the babies, Tommy Pickles (Elizabeth Daily), Chuckie Finster (The Simpsons' Nancy Cartwright), twins Phil and Lil DeVille (Kath Soucie), Didi Pickles (Melanie Chartoff), Charlotte Pickles (The Simpsons' Tress MacNeille), oh and Angelica (Cheryl Chase) go off to find Mr. Thornberry, or "Mr. Strawberry". Meanwhile, Eliza has met up with the Pickles family dog, Spike (Bruce Willis) who wants to get them back to the parents. Eventually all characters are brought together, after some small moments of adventure, and they do manage to sort everything out. Also starring The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde as Siri, Joe Alaskey as Grandpa Lou and Tony Jay as Dr. Lipschitz. The animation seems to be as standard as the original two (same animation) shows, the voices are alright too, I think it is just some of the story that could have done with much more work to make it entertaining, which it isn't very. Adequate!

Rugrats Go Mild

Author: Merely from Brocktroit, Massatucky
14 June 2003

Nothing new here whatsoever. One of the more boring outings of the ever popular Rugrats. Bruce Willis adds nothing and songs are forgettable. Numbers 1 through 5 appear at various stages during the movie. Everyone was scratching his head wondering if they were supposed to remember them to perhaps win some terrific prize. A search on Google turns out they should have been scratching cards given out during a Burger King promotion where the smells coincided with the particular scenes. I guess I need to watch more television. Must have missed that commercial....somehow. In any case, was probably far more interesting than the movie. Luckily, the time flew by. Thank TPTB, it is a short one.

It was pretty wildly entertaining. Not the best, not the worst. Don't castaway it, just yet.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
23 April 2014

Being a huge fan of both Nickelodeon animated 1990s television series, Rugrats and the Wild Thornberrys. I was pretty happy to hear that they were getting combine for a feature length 80 minutes crossover movie. Directed by Norton Virgien and John Eng, Rugrats Go Wild didn't disappointed. It's the third movie, in the Rugrats film series after 1998's The Rugrats Movie & 2000's The Rugrats in Paris. It's the second movie, in the Wild Thornberry's film series after 2002's Wild Thornberry movie. The movie is about the Rugrats families going on a cruise, that Tommy's father, Stu (voiced by Jack Riley) has rented. On the way, the boat sank in a storm, forcing everything to board a life raft. They soon found small tropical-island, in which the adults think is uninhabited. The children lead by Tommy (Voiced by Elizabeth Daily) believe otherwise, and go into the jungle searching for life. Both, not knowing that on the other side are the Thornberry family, their only hope back to civilization. What I love about the film is the type of humor, it brings. I love the whole misinterpretation humor of adult themes from the viewpoint of the babies. It always bring me a laugh. The potty humor and crude repartee jokes were pretty good. I didn't mind the pop culture and other movie references and spoofs like 1997's Titanic, 1975's Jaws, 1976's Taxi Driver and others. The movie also do call backs to previous episodes of both TV Series and also reference, the first movie. Most of all, I love Tim Curry as Nigel Thornberry, the quirky, adventurous wildlife documentarian who often rambles in indiscernible English accent. Nigel Thornberry is indeed, smashing. The animation was pretty good and the CGI animation kinda mixed well. I was pretty surprise how good the production, the film had. It was beautiful to watch. I wouldn't say, the movie is the best Nickelodeon cartoon movie out there. It was indeed, the lowest grossing Rugrats film for a reason. Some of the jokes really hit flat. The Mirror Routine is so overused. I have to say, that Bruce Willis as the voice of Spike was really not that funny, and out of place. His scenes really waste any ideas of character development. There seem to lack emotional development. In the first movie, it was about Tommy dealing about having a brother. In the second movie, it's about Chuckie (Voice by Nancy Cartwright) getting a new mother and sister. In this movie, it's really hard to figure out what the movie is really about, due to sheer number of characters and the randomness sub-plot play out. I thought it was about Tommy and his dog, but most of Tommy's quest, is to help his father feel better, and get right with his friends. Honestly, who knows! I really don't like the idea of Lil and Phil (voiced by Kath Soucie) disagreeing with each other over if they should eat bugs or not. Nobody pay to see that. People came to see them, be twins and do gross stuff like every other previous episode and movie. Susie (voiced by Cree Summer) gets to join in on the adventure after being an only minor character in the first two movies. Still, she does nothing or add anything. Honestly, she didn't need to be here. I hate most of the original songs here. I can do without the Angelica (Cheryl Chase) "Island Princess' song. It was awful. Bruce Willis 'The Big Bad Cat' lyrics sounds pretty sexual, but it just forgettable. 'It's a jungle out there' was pretty mediocre. Most of the establish songs were used right, but some are bit out of place for a kid's movie. Aerosmith "Lizard Love' is just bad. Another bad idea was that film used "Aroma-Scope," which allowed people to smell odors and aromas from the film via scratch and sniff cards. Very similar to 1960s Smell-O-Vision. Most of the smells, if I remember, were really bad odors. The Odorama card was somewhat of an homage to John Waters' decidedly adult-oriented film 1981's Polyester. The smell gimmick was just one of the things in the dirty diaper of bad ideas. Another is the crossover idea, the movie is mostly about the Rugrats as the Thornberrys are pretty much, just shunted into second billing. Eliza Thornberry (voice by Lacey Colbert) doesn't do much, but babysit Spike, most of the film. Honestly, the whole Thornberry family really don't play a part in the film, until 15 minutes in. What storyline do they have besides helping the Rugrats families?? Nothing. Overall: From a child point of view, it's not that bad. My young nephew and niece love it and they weren't even born in the 1990s or when this movie came out. There is a few adult humor, that I can get behind, and say, that was pretty funny. Some parents might hate the gross jokes like bird excrement landing on characters' faces and material involving nasal mucus, pooping and urinating. Still, it's pretty harmless. Overall: It was OK. It's a must rent for any parent, but not a must buy. If you have to, watch it on Netflix, like myself.

Story behind Rugrats Go Wild

Author: Con Ferguson from United States
5 April 2012

The movie introduces the babies in a jungle pretending to be like The Wild Thornberrys, which happens to be a fake-out.  Meanwhile, the adults are preparing for their vacation in the South China Seas.  Stu has everyone's tickets for the Lipschitz Cruise.  We then see that Susie is coming on vacation with them because her parents will be out of town.  The Lipschitz cruise ship leaves without them and we Stu and Spike on a normal boat called the S.S. Nancy.

The adults get disgruntled and attempt to get on the cruise ship by sending signals and driving the boat there themselves.  A large wave attacks them and it turns the ship upside- down.  They get out of the rinky-dink tub, Betty opens up a life raft and they hop on there while the boat sinks.  The family becomes stranded on a deserted island, and they begin disputing about how they're all gonna survive.  Betty eventually becomes a leader after drawing a circle in the sand and she gets all the adults to work together as a team to find ways to survive on the island.

Meanwhile, the babies go their separate ways after Angelica scares them about how they're not gonna survive in the island.  Spike runs into Eliza, and Spike starts to speak for the first time (since Eliza is capable of talking to animals) and Nigel Thornberry suffers amnesia and goes on adventures with the toddlers.  Chuckie gets his clothes stolen from Donnie, and Chuckie ends up wearing his clothes as well.  Angelica, since she is pretty much a b****, becomes good friends with Debbie, due to them sharing the same type of personality.

Nigel and the babies try and find the clouded leopard named Siri.  The parents eventually encounter Mrs. Thornberry.  Their attempt at finding the babies in the Bathosphere worked, but the fuel in there was empty, and Stu solved the problem, making him a hero at the end.  The credits end with the children reuniting with their families and taking the Lipschitz Cruise back home, giving the movie a fantastic ending.

A Crossover That Should be Over

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
30 July 2010

Rugrats Go Wild is a another stupid crossover film that is barely amusing and excruciating to watch. The crossover of two franchises is more of an appeal to younger kids seeing possibly two of their favorite shows coming together in one special/movie, but from what this is, no matter which angle it's at it sucks. The jokes, the characters, and the humor is all one dimensional and overall abysmal. Nothing is inspiring or even memorable about this failed attempt.

The toddlers and the Tommy's family are on a boat going to an island Tommy's dad Stu rented in the South China Seas. After a massive rain storms destroys the boat they get into a life boat leading them to a deserted island where they meet the Thornberrys (from the show The Wild Thornberrys). The family starts bonding with the Thornberrys with each member of the Rugrats clinging to a member of the Thornberrys to which they are similar too. The movie's appeal level is low, but the worse part stems from the jokes. The jokes in this film and gags that are supposed to be funny are the most cliché, laugh free, recycled jokes that pretty much ruin the movie.

"Odorama", only used in two movies I believe, maybe stupid to some, but to others its an interesting cult item first brought to attention in the 1981 John Waters movie Polyester. It was a unique thing at the time and really felt like you were in the movie. When used in Rugrats Go Wild, many complaints derived from the card being defective and not smelling like the said picture. So I guess it's one more thing another movie did better, have a working marketing item.

This movie is the last Rugrats film to be made to date which means probably no more will be made. Its sad that Rugrats, a show that defined many kids born in the 90s childhood, left off on a crappy note. If another movie was made about the "tots in diapers", I don't know how it would blow over. Its popularity has probably been lived to the final extent and new audiences probably wouldn't except it. So I think its best rather than to resurrect the series with another movie, just leave it where its at. Unlike some kid's franchises, this had one great film, one decent movie, and one crappy movie. Its been a checkered series, but it's still a franchise to remember.

Starring: E.G. Daily, Nancy Cartwright, Dionne Quan, Cheryl Chase, Michael Bell, Melanie Chartoff, Jack Riley, Julia Kato, Tim Curry, and Bruce Willis. Directed by: Norton Virgien and John Eng.

An okay movie. A must rent , but not a must buy.

Author: undeadzombie13 from United States
21 August 2005

This movie was okay. Like I said, I rented it instead of seeing it at the theaters. The reason is, I don't like the The Wild Thornberries animated TV show. I didn't even rent or go see the movie, The Wild Thornberries Movie. Anyway, my dad rented it for me at Blockbuster and I only watched because I've been a Rugrats fan since I was little and since it came out on Nickelodeon. Another reason why I watched it was because Bruce Willis voices Spike the dog. I love The Look Who's Talking series. Especially the first one. It's the best. As I was saying about the movie, it's an okay movie, although I wish I could remember more of the movie than I do, but I would best recommend this movie to kids and people who like both shows, instead of one or the other, like me.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]