IMDb > Rugrats Go Wild (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rugrats Go Wild

Rugrats Go Wild More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Forgettable, confusing, with few laughs

Author: cs100 from Midwest, USA
16 June 2003

I saw this film with my daughter (6 years old) and her friend (7), none of whom are Rugrats fans, mostly because they consider the Rugrat's humor to be too immature and inappropriate. My daughter and I did, however, mostly enjoy last year's The Wild Thornberrys Movie.

The plot is a literal and figurative shipwreck. The Rugrats and their parents end up on an uninhabited island somewhere in the Pacific, on which the Thornberrys happen to be. Various groups and individuals splinter off in search of others. By the time Nigel Thornberry gets knocked on the head and reverts to the mental age of a 3 year-old, I had lost track of who was looking for whom and why. How a kid is supposed to follow all these machinations is beyond me.

The sheer number of characters and the randomness with which they run into each other prevent any sort of character depth from being explored. For example, in The Wild Thornberrys Movie, considerable attention was given to Darwin the monkey, who is one of the more interesting characters in this entire assembly (Darwin is smart and makes very insightful observations of human behavior, but he can only communicate with one person, Eliza - to everyone else, he is a dumb monkey). However, here he has what could be characterized as a cameo appearance at best. So, unless you are already familiar with all the characters, and don't expect much in terms of character development, you'll be disappointed.

I think there was a moral to the story (something about leadership and redemption), but I was nodding off by the end of the movie, having lost track of the plot. The audience I saw the film with was mostly subdued, with only a few audible laughs. My daughter and her friend said they liked the movie, but they like every movie I take them to, as long as I buy them popcorn. They did not talk about the movie at all the rest of the weekend. On the way home, we listened to the Lilo & Stitch soundtrack, which has much better songs than the few musical numbers in this movie.

I'm not giving this movie the worst rating, because it might be enjoyable for a few Rugrat fans. And the Rugrats' potty humor is not as bad as it could have been, although there are diaper jokes, bird droppings, and Spike the dog raises his leg a few times.

To paraphrase Debbie Thornberry at one point, when I write about this film - and I will - I will not be kind.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
20 September 2003

The end credits for "Rugrats Go Wild!" include a section headed "Klasky Csupo Accounting," which unfortunately figures; this third theatrical outing for the Rugrats and second one for the Wild Thornberrys plays more like a marketing exercise than an actual movie.

With this big-screen crossover of two TV shows, you'd think that they'd both get equal time, but due to their show having been more successful and having their full name in the title (it was originally called "Rugrats Meet The Wild Thornberrys" before someone decided that was too obvious), Tommy, Chucky and the rest get more time on screen than the far more appealing Eliza Thornberry and Co; it's not until near the end that they're on anything like equal footing, and by then the movie's been sabotaged by a plot that's too skimpy for words (the Pickles, Finster and DeVille families - plus Susie - get stranded on the same island that the Thornberrys have pitched up on for their latest jaunt, and cue much running around and shrieking), an ounce of actual amusement amongst a ton of shrill and strained gags, too many characters squeezed into too little time, and far too many songs, pop or otherwise (Chrissie Hynde. Why?).

Having Bruce Willis do the voice of Spike doesn't help much, and neither does including some of the most heavy-handed movie references this side of a Leslie Nielsen comedy. In fact, the movie officially becomes a waste of time when their boat capsizes and it turns into a mini-homage to "The Poseidon Adventure," capped by Angelica singing "The Morning After" in her toy karaoke machine. (If only she had been the character played by Stella Stevens.)

But even that's more forgiveable than having Stu say "I can't help feeling partially responsible." Stealing lines from "The Simpsons" is the final insult... Eliza's older sister and Betty DeVille are the only ones to emerge intact. Note to Paramount: ENOUGH ALREADY!

Forgetful; Looks a Bit Like a Gimmic k

Author: StephenBurg from United States
2 January 2012

In Nickelodeon's fifth theatrical movie based on their world famous Nicktoons, the Rugrats and the Wild Thornberrys come together. Rugrats, SpongeBob, Ren and Stimpy and Wild Thornberrys were Nickelodeon's most famous shows, so, that being said, you can see why I think this is a gimmick. The movie starts like the other two: with the babies believing their in a parody; this time it's a very loose reference to The Wild Thornberrys. It reveals that Nigel Thornberry is the babies' hero as everyday they watch his nature show. In a completely unrelated plot, Stu takes all the families on a cruise, but they all end up on an island where the Thornberrys picked for their next expedition. (A bit too coincidental, don't you think?)The adults try to plan ways to get out of their island prison while the babies go off on another weird and somewhat gross adventure, this time they come face-to-face with their amnesiac hero, Angelica is with Debbie and we finally hear what Spike has to say while he talks with Eliza. The writing went a bit too far; they could have gone without a few subplots. Random numbers appear all over the place for a "Scrath and Sniff" contest that nobody remembers. This was my first movie in theaters.

My Rating: 5/10 Rated PG for Mild Rude Humor

Two great shows don't always make the best movie

Author: neenahhh
2 January 2011

I'm pretty sure that I probably watched this movie when it was still playing in the movie theaters a long time ago. I still don't know why I decided to download this movie and rewatch it after 8 long years.

Comparing my experience now to the 7(or 8)-year-old kid that I was, I can say that I enjoyed this movie a whole lot more, before. It's no big surprise since this movie was targeted towards kids. It was a big plus that during my fresh childhood years, the Rugrats was one of my favorite TV shows. I also watched The Wild Thornberrys every once in a while. With that being said, I guess I enjoyed this movie just because the sight of seeing my favorite characters on the big screen, was already great to me.

It was a decent movie experience. I even got that happy feeling- you know, the one that you feel when the hero finally saves the day after numerous hardships and obstacles- when Donnie took over Darwin's spot and helped raise the Comvee up with his super hyper energy and also, when the babies and Nigel saw the Giant Squid.

It seemed kind of short, though. Also, I felt that they didn't give Eliza much screen-time. It kind of revolved around the babies plus Donnie. You can see Lil kind of mature here when she told her brother to stop eating bugs because it was hurting them. It reminded me of a typical older sibling-younger sibling relationship. Not two babies.

I liked the Rugrats in Paris movie and The Wild Thornberrys Movie better than this one. There was more development in both films. In this movie, nothing really happened, come to think of it. The starting and the ending were the best parts of the movie. But it was still enjoyable, seeing as I grew up with the characters of the film. It made me feel a bit nostalgic.

Having said that, I think that both shows are great, but when put together, it didn't make the best movie. They shouldn't have done a cross-over.

If you're a Rugrats and/or The Wild Thornberrys fan, you may consider trying this. But don't expect it to be amazing. You're better off watching The Rugrats Movie, Rugrats in Paris or The Wild Thornberrys Movie.

Okay, but overcrowded.

Author: Growlyted from England
1 January 2011

I enjoyed the early seasons of both Rugrats & Thornberries, plus the previous movies. Therefore I was curious about this cross over, although I decided to wait for it on TV. My concern was that late episodes of Rugrats just did not have room for all the characters, while late Thornberries concentrated more on Eliza growing up, than adventures with animals. Therefore throwing these two shows together meant that nobody got their fair share of screen time. Darwen barely said a word. Bruce Willis was not a good voice choice for lovable, loyal Spike. All the songs were forgettable. The scene stealing character was Donnie the wild child. It had a good amount of laughs. The plot felt very rushed. If you like Thornberries, but not Rugrats, you could be disappointed. Passed the time, but nothing special. 5/10

Rugrats Go Wild

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
4 January 2010

Most kids will probably think the Rugrats meeting The Wild Thornberrys would be a match made in heaven, and it almost could have been with more effort put in. Basically Stuart 'Stu' Pickles (Jack Riley) has planned a vacation, but miss their boat and are forced to board a rented boat. Unfortunately all in the boat, parents and babies together are caught in a tidal wave and end up stranded on a deserted island, with very little food and no way to get help. They do not realise living on this island are the Thornberry family, led by father/husband Nigel (Tim Curry), and with the girl who can talk to animals, Eliza (Lacey Chabert). While the parents try to find a way off the island, the babies, Tommy Pickles (Elizabeth Daily), Chuckie Finster (The Simpsons' Nancy Cartwright), twins Phil and Lil DeVille (Kath Soucie), Didi Pickles (Melanie Chartoff), Charlotte Pickles (The Simpsons' Tress MacNeille), oh and Angelica (Cheryl Chase) go off to find Mr. Thornberry, or "Mr. Strawberry". Meanwhile, Eliza has met up with the Pickles family dog, Spike (Bruce Willis) who wants to get them back to the parents. Eventually all characters are brought together, after some small moments of adventure, and they do manage to sort everything out. Also starring The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde as Siri, Joe Alaskey as Grandpa Lou and Tony Jay as Dr. Lipschitz. The animation seems to be as standard as the original two (same animation) shows, the voices are alright too, I think it is just some of the story that could have done with much more work to make it entertaining, which it isn't very. Adequate!

boring

Author: cwdfwtx from texas
23 June 2003

I suppose it could be unfair to say that since im not a kid i shouldnt slam this movie but lets face it. even kids dont go for this same dull tripe. another retread of rugrats and the wild thornberrys. One main thing that I dont understand is why the animation is not any better.

It is more like stringing several episodes of the nick toon together. The animation is horrible like pokemon and all those other similar cartoon movies, power puff girls and the like . Kids get bored of it And the stupid odorama , more like a plug for you to plunk down money for your kids at BK. Go see a disney flick or dreamworks,,a lot better animation and kids will enjoy it more.

Rugrats Go Mild

Author: Merely from Brocktroit, Massatucky
14 June 2003

Nothing new here whatsoever. One of the more boring outings of the ever popular Rugrats. Bruce Willis adds nothing and songs are forgettable. Numbers 1 through 5 appear at various stages during the movie. Everyone was scratching his head wondering if they were supposed to remember them to perhaps win some terrific prize. A search on Google turns out they should have been scratching cards given out during a Burger King promotion where the smells coincided with the particular scenes. I guess I need to watch more television. Must have missed that commercial....somehow. In any case, was probably far more interesting than the movie. Luckily, the time flew by. Thank TPTB, it is a short one.

Story behind Rugrats Go Wild

Author: Con Ferguson from United States
5 April 2012

The movie introduces the babies in a jungle pretending to be like The Wild Thornberrys, which happens to be a fake-out.  Meanwhile, the adults are preparing for their vacation in the South China Seas.  Stu has everyone's tickets for the Lipschitz Cruise.  We then see that Susie is coming on vacation with them because her parents will be out of town.  The Lipschitz cruise ship leaves without them and we Stu and Spike on a normal boat called the S.S. Nancy.

The adults get disgruntled and attempt to get on the cruise ship by sending signals and driving the boat there themselves.  A large wave attacks them and it turns the ship upside- down.  They get out of the rinky-dink tub, Betty opens up a life raft and they hop on there while the boat sinks.  The family becomes stranded on a deserted island, and they begin disputing about how they're all gonna survive.  Betty eventually becomes a leader after drawing a circle in the sand and she gets all the adults to work together as a team to find ways to survive on the island.

Meanwhile, the babies go their separate ways after Angelica scares them about how they're not gonna survive in the island.  Spike runs into Eliza, and Spike starts to speak for the first time (since Eliza is capable of talking to animals) and Nigel Thornberry suffers amnesia and goes on adventures with the toddlers.  Chuckie gets his clothes stolen from Donnie, and Chuckie ends up wearing his clothes as well.  Angelica, since she is pretty much a b****, becomes good friends with Debbie, due to them sharing the same type of personality.

Nigel and the babies try and find the clouded leopard named Siri.  The parents eventually encounter Mrs. Thornberry.  Their attempt at finding the babies in the Bathosphere worked, but the fuel in there was empty, and Stu solved the problem, making him a hero at the end.  The credits end with the children reuniting with their families and taking the Lipschitz Cruise back home, giving the movie a fantastic ending.

A Crossover That Should be Over

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
30 July 2010

Rugrats Go Wild is a another stupid crossover film that is barely amusing and excruciating to watch. The crossover of two franchises is more of an appeal to younger kids seeing possibly two of their favorite shows coming together in one special/movie, but from what this is, no matter which angle it's at it sucks. The jokes, the characters, and the humor is all one dimensional and overall abysmal. Nothing is inspiring or even memorable about this failed attempt.

The toddlers and the Tommy's family are on a boat going to an island Tommy's dad Stu rented in the South China Seas. After a massive rain storms destroys the boat they get into a life boat leading them to a deserted island where they meet the Thornberrys (from the show The Wild Thornberrys). The family starts bonding with the Thornberrys with each member of the Rugrats clinging to a member of the Thornberrys to which they are similar too. The movie's appeal level is low, but the worse part stems from the jokes. The jokes in this film and gags that are supposed to be funny are the most cliché, laugh free, recycled jokes that pretty much ruin the movie.

"Odorama", only used in two movies I believe, maybe stupid to some, but to others its an interesting cult item first brought to attention in the 1981 John Waters movie Polyester. It was a unique thing at the time and really felt like you were in the movie. When used in Rugrats Go Wild, many complaints derived from the card being defective and not smelling like the said picture. So I guess it's one more thing another movie did better, have a working marketing item.

This movie is the last Rugrats film to be made to date which means probably no more will be made. Its sad that Rugrats, a show that defined many kids born in the 90s childhood, left off on a crappy note. If another movie was made about the "tots in diapers", I don't know how it would blow over. Its popularity has probably been lived to the final extent and new audiences probably wouldn't except it. So I think its best rather than to resurrect the series with another movie, just leave it where its at. Unlike some kid's franchises, this had one great film, one decent movie, and one crappy movie. Its been a checkered series, but it's still a franchise to remember.

Starring: E.G. Daily, Nancy Cartwright, Dionne Quan, Cheryl Chase, Michael Bell, Melanie Chartoff, Jack Riley, Julia Kato, Tim Curry, and Bruce Willis. Directed by: Norton Virgien and John Eng.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]