IMDb > Bugs! (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bugs!

Bugs! More at IMDbPro »

Good, but I would've liked a different approach better

Author: Evac156 from Seattle, WA
12 January 2004

I enjoyed the film, and the IMAX 3D effects were very impressive. However, instead of just focusing on the lifecycle of two creatures and giving the occasional side note about others, I would've preferred more of an overall survey about insect life. The lifecycle isn't all that fascinating (unless you're seeing it for the first time, which most viewers probably aren't), it's the visuals that we want to see. A more survey-style presentation that allowed us to get a look at a variety of interesting bugs would be more satisfying in this regard.

Two of my favorites, visually, were the dueling rhinoceros beetles, and the praying mantis shedding its carapace whole.

Hey! Bugs Have Rights, Too, You know!

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
29 March 2015

I watched most of "Bugs!" with the sound turned off because I didn't like Judi Dench's narration at all - Nor did I much care for the soundtrack music which quickly began to grate on my nerves. So, because of these 2 annoyances, silence was the only option for me.

This documentary also lost itself some significant points when it became quite obvious to this viewer that a number of the insects featured in the show were, in fact, actually being set up to fight with and inevitably eat up each other.

Yes. I do realize that "they-are-just-bugs", but, because of the frame of mind I was in, having to watch them deliberately do each other in for the sake of cinematic-drama (because the production crew made it happen) rendered this entire documentary as being a pretty shoddy bit of entertainment.

Filmed in the rain forest region of Borneo - This nature documentary earned its 4 stars from me for its very lush photography that showed the viewer super-magnified images of spiders, centipedes, beetles, bees and praying mantis, etc., etc., foraging around in their natural environment.

Imax can be better...

Author: neopol313 from Manchester, England
25 February 2011

Are you not entertained!? Bugs! 3D! Sounds interesting. Should be interesting but unless the experience was 100% different and by that, I mean better on the Imax screen, then this was a real disappointment. The 3D was good, considering, though I did see in via the RED/CYAN format which obviously has its drawbacks, but it was still very effective.

The documentary short follows several insects who reside in the rainforest, some fight, though be it slowly, some forage and some hide and literally 'make like a tree', but don't really leave. And though this is interesting, Imax demands more if we are to be entertained.

The DVD: The DVD is a rarity, available on Region 2 DVD but only in Germany, and the now defunct HD-DVD, again in Europe. It's worth it as a collectible but not as a Saturday night's entertainment. Rent "Dumbo" if a short film is your pleasure!

A quick look at the miniature world of Bugs in the Rainforest.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
11 June 2008

I saw this on DVD from my local public library. It runs just 40 minutes. There is also a DVD extra the "making of" which is almost as long.

This short film does not try to take a comprehensive approach to the bug kingdom, instead focusing on just a few bugs that live in the Rainforest. One is a caterpillar just hatching, and it is followed through its life cycle, into a butterfly and them its own eggs hatching. Unfortunately for this butterfly, its own life ended as food in front of the camera for one of its enemies.

The story also followed a Praying Mantis from its hatching through young adulthood, and one scene where it snatches up a fly on a nearby flower shows how fast it can move.

The film touches on how natural disguises help each bug hide from its enemies, but it also makes sure we understand that from its first moment of life every bug is on some predator's menu.

This is a nice little film if you can get it cheap or free, but it is not long enough or comprehensive enough to go through much trouble or expense to see.

fascinating and engrossing

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
22 January 2008

i found this a well done approach to the life of bugs.it's done in a story line format,focusing on the lives of a mantid and a caterpillar from birth onward.the two creatures are even given names.but the movie also deals with other creatures,as well.the creatures are magnified 250,000 times,which really made things more interesting.it's is narrated by Judi Dench,but the narration doesn't overpower the story.the story mostly tells itself.i found the whole thing fascinating and engrossing.i never got bored at all.there are even some comic bits as well,and some touching moments.i have only seen two documentaries on bugs so far but i think this is the best one.for me,Bugs is an 8/10