IMDb > Barbershop 2: Back in Business (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Decent Sequel That Fans Of The Original Should Enjoy

Author: christian123
3 April 2005

Barbershop 2: Back in Business is a decent sequel with some enjoyable moments. Ice Cube, Cedric the Entertainer and the rest of the guys at the downtown Chicago barbershop return for another round, but the usual sense of community and their outrageous discussions is threatened by urban developers who hope to replace the small barbershops with big national chains. Like its predecessor, Barbershop 2 is pretty much plot less as the characters are what people want to see. I thought the first one was decent but nothing special and that's exactly what I think of this one. Ice Cube, Eve, Sean Patrick Thomas, Troy Garity and Michael Ealy are all back and they are enjoyable this time around as well. The one person I couldn't stand was Cedric the Entertainer, he had some funny lines but most of the time he was really annoying also those flashback scenes he was in were really stupid. There's a couple of new additions including Queen Latifah. I thought she was very funny and I might check out Beauty Shop sometime in the future. The other addition is Kenan Thompson, he isn't very interesting in the film but also doesn't have a lot of scenes so that's nice. Kevin Rodney Sullivan directs this time around and he does a good job replacing Tim Story, who was apparently busy with Taxi and The Fantastic Four. Absent from the sequel is Anthony Anderson who isn't missed, in fact you probably won't notice. The film talks about a lot of different things like R Kelly, The Washington Sniper and others, you may not agree with what their saying all the time though. The sequel is a bit more warm hearted this time around but the dialog is still sharp and funny. Rating 6/10, In the end, if you liked the first one then you will probably like this one but if you didn't then its best if you avoid the sequel.

Back Again for some more laughs on the South Side of Chicago!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
8 August 2004

Barbershop 2: Back in Business

Starring: Ice Cube, Eve, Troy Garity, Michael Ealy, Sean Patrick Thomas and Queen Latifah

Genre: Comedy

Rated: PG-13

We continue the adventures with the barbers and Calvin Palmer (Ice Cube) on the South Side of Chicago. In this sequel to the 2002 hit Barbershop, Calvin's shop is threatened again but this time by a greedy developer who is opening a mega-franchise barbershop right across the street from Calvin's shop. The whole gang from the first movie is back including Eddie (Cedric the Entertainer), Terri (Eve), Jimmy (Sean Patrick Thomas), Ricky (Michael Ealy) and Isacc (Troy Garity). Also in this movie we have a new character named Gina (Queen Latifah) who is a stylist at a beauty shop next door. As Calvin does what he can to counter this threat, life goes on in the barbershop, with more of the same tart dialog and life complications in various hilarious ways as in the original. I missed Anthony Anderson and Lahmard Tate in this sequel because I thought they were hilarious in the first one but this sequel was still funny and besides at this time when this movie was filming, Anthony Anderson was busy doing Agent Cody Banks 2, Scary Movie 3, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and his TV-series, All About the Andersons. Just another day on the South Side of Chicago.

Satisfactory sequel

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
1 July 2004

"Barbershop 2: Back in Business" is a logical and somewhat more expansive continuation of the original "Barbershop" film. However, it suffers from sqeuelness; a lack of appreciation because it can't be as fresh at the first. "Barbershop 2" also spends more time outside the shop with some backstory history, competition from a Nappy Cutz franchise across the street, Queen Latifah's salon for a heartbeat, etc. and less time with what made the original film special and charming; the good natured repartee between barbers, Eddie's (Cedric) racial worldview philosophy, barber/customer interaction, zingers, etc. Bottom line is simple. Watch "Barbershop" first. If you like it, give this film a try. If not, not. (C+)

material is sub par but the actors do what they can

Author: Special-K88
7 March 2007

Lukewarm but watchable and laid-back follow-up to Barbershop. Shop owner Cube and his rambunctious co-workers are enjoying the success of their thriving business, until a new, technologically advanced shop prepares to open across the street. The shop is run by a smarmy political suit who not only threatens to put them out of business, but has also convinced the majority of the neighborhood inhabitants to sell out as well. First film was likable enough but didn't exactly cry out for a sequel, though there are some occasional laughs. Uninspired script doesn't have much of a story to tell, but it's still well-performed and made worthwhile by an enthusiastic cast, especially Cedric the Entertainer who seems to be having the most fun of all. **

"Back in Business!"

Author: dee.reid from United States
7 February 2004

"Barbershop 2: Back in Business" is a better-made, if not necessarily better film than the original. I loved the first "Barbershop" movie that came out in 2002. The sequel is a lot more in depth with its characters and we learn a little more about each one and how they have improved since the first film. If "Back in Business" has any flaws, it's that there is not enough action inside the barbershop, where most of the action took place in the first film. There is a little more drama with "Back in Business" that never slows the film down; a little drama never hurt anyone, did it? Either way, I did thoroughly enjoy myself watching "Barbershop 2: Back in Business" and I rated it a 9/10.

Get your haircut at this barbershop

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
4 February 2004

The same crew is back in a sequel to the hilarious comedy about a group of barbers who cut hair and discuss life inside their little barbershop community. Calvin (Ice Cube) is the owner of the barbershop with Cedric The Entertainer as his oldest barber. Queen Latifah has been added to the cast with a beauty shop next door. The south side of Chicago is changing with developers buying up everything and moving everybody out of the old neighborhood. Calvin is about to have new competition from a chain barbershop opening across the street. To fight the new barbershop, Calvin tries to upscale his barbershop with paintings and glass sculptures. Calvin also orders his barbers to be quiet and just cut hair, and stop the tradition of being able to say anything you want inside the barbershop. If you liked the first movie, you will like this one. Some of the discussions are outrageous, especially, the ones with Cedric. I laughed through the entire movie. (MGM, Run Time 1:38, Rated PG-13) (7/10)

very stereo typical, very stale plot

Author: MLDinTN from TN
8 February 2005

The plot involves a new, hipper franchise barbershop that is moving across the street from Calvin's barbershop. So, he feels like he has to change and improve his shop by getting newer stuff and such. Sounds real exciting huh. As for the rest of the film, a lot of it involves the same material from the first film. The people that work at Calvin's stand around, talk loud, and mouth off to each other and the customers. Once again Cedric the Entertainer was mildly funny, but it is more like he's doing a stand-up routine than anything to do with the movie. And Calvin is faced with another moral issue involving taking a large sum of money. He's already shown that he will do the right thing in the end.

FINAL VERDICT: Nothing new. I don't recommend it unless you thought the first Barbershop was the best thing since sliced bread.

Cutting Past the Dead Hair.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
16 March 2004

Most of the major characters return for this impressive sequel that nearly works as well as its very good predecessor. Barbershop owner Ice Cube and his fellow cutters (out-of-place female Eve, African immigrant Leonard Earl Howze, super white boy Troy Garity, ex-con Michael Ealy and loud-mouthed veteran Cedric the Entertainer) have a new problem on their hands. Business opportunist Harry Lennix wants to open a Nappy Cutz (a fictional Super Cuts-styled rip-off) shop across the street. Immediately the group is worried about the possibility of being run out of business by the upstarts. Former barber Sean Patrick Thomas (now working for Illinois state governor Robert Wisdom) realizes the situation and does what he can to help. Naturally though Wisdom is just as crooked and suspicious as Lennix so thus another dilemma occurs. Ice Cube is also constantly bothered by one of his wife's (Jazsmin Lewis) relatives (a priceless turn by Kenan Thompson). Thompson also has the itch to become a stylist and hangs around the shop in spite of the fact that no one trusts him with their hair. Also along for the ride is beauty shop owner Queen Latifah who doubles as Cube's old love interest and Cedric's acid-tongued equal. A little history into Cedric's background is hilarious, heart-breaking and thought-provoking all at the same time. He thinks about a lost love (Garcelle Beauvais) and also remembers Cube's kind and decent father (Javon Jackson). Flashbacks to a Civil Rights-torn landscape of 1960s Chicago becomes a strangely poignant part of a franchise that people do not think of as serious. All in all "Barbershop 2: Back in Business" is a noble work. Once again the screenplay and direction are adequate, but the amazing characters are still the series' primary calling card. Lennix and Wisdom are really not quite as good as antagonist Keith David was in the original. I also missed neighborhood trouble-makers Anthony Anderson and Lahmard Tate, but their absences do not shatter the overall effectiveness of the sequel. 4 stars out of 5.

First was Better

Author: iwatcheverything from Texas, USA
6 February 2004

Although I thought this movie was really funny the first was still better. It was wrapped around more controversy. Also this movie was made for Cedric. He is the central point of the movie. Not that I mind b/c he is a great comedian. Queen Latifah was very underused but it seems that she has her own barber/beauty movie coming out so that will make up for it. I also like the fact that the Barbershop movies talk about real problems with the way society thinks about things. This movie is good and needs to be watched. I own the first and will own the second.

Nap Time

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
20 October 2004

Spoilers herein.

I'm pretty sensitive to the social implications of black films. Some of us worked pretty hard to provide means for black voices to speak to their own (and other) issues and audiences. Gone are the days where a white establishment could exploit bug-eyed, stupid, violent stereotypes of blacks. Now blacks do it to themselves, which - forgive me - I see as slight progress.

That's why I was surprised by this project. Sure, about 3/4's of it is the same pandering we see everywhere, especially with the women. And most of that is rooted in one of the three overarching film formulas we continue to swallow in films of all sorts: small guy, big guy, small guy's purity wins.

And we have the smarmy but slick moralizing: the gangster is really getting his GED; the 'white' guy is accepted back into the fold; various relationships turn out to be 'normal.' The owner at the last minute doesn't sell out, even gains converts.

But under it all is a sensitivity to community and history that I found to actually be as pure as the values referenced. It doesn't occupy much screen time, but because it anchors the relationship of the film to the real world, it transmutes everything we see. Its the reaction of a few men, men we already know by then, to the King riots of years before. In that instant, we see humans not puppets. And we see the whole deal in economical, cinematic terms. Spike Lee, take note... there's a dignity in this that you've never achieved.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]