IMDb > Baghban (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This movie shows the absolute farce which is Indian Society

Author: Saurav from India
6 March 2007

This movie truly shows the farce and hypocrisy of Indian society. What it tries to show you is only ONE side of the story. The other side of the story is the hidden emotional and mental abuse of Indian children which this movie does not show.

"Indian Parents" are culpable for the following: a. Destroying the individuality of the children by making them completely dependent on the parents at a very early age. Such children grow up to be Adults only in physical looks but remain children in minds. Since everything has been provided to them by their great Indian parents, They children automatically do not feel the need to work hard at something or learn the basics of human communication with other human beings apart from their parents.

B. I can show you so many Indian parents who try to prevent their kids making friends, going out or prevent them to do anything which starts making them to grow into adults.

The reason why they do is the same selfishness. Indian parents "expect" their children to take care of them when they grow old. They do no savings for themselves and once they reach the age of 50...They cry out LOUD......We have grown old now and so we are dependent on you children since we have done the GREAT SERVICE of bringing you to this world and taking care of you and making you intellectually weak.

Most of the Indian parents at the age of 50 have dilapidated bodies and health and are financially completely insecure. Most feel that they ABSOLUTELY have no need to take care of themselves since they "expect" their kids to take care of them.

In the west the opposite of that happens. People start planning at the age of 20 about their retirement and once they retire they are financially secure.

Indian parents do NOTHING of that sort since like I said they have brought the kids in the world and what better investment at that?.

I am a victim of my Indian parents (i am sure there are countless other Indian kids like me), who have grown up physically but are still struggling with their lives on THEIR OWN and they continue to have pestering 50 year olds who cry out loud for HELP all the time.

This movie shows only ONE side of the story.....UTTER piece of JUNK

Instant classic

Author: shivakumarvishwa from India
19 July 2008

I watched this movie last night on Sahara Filmy.2 words just watch it.Direction is fantastic.Script is excellent.It tells about Raj and Pooja who are an elderly couple.They have 5 kids.One of them is adopted.Years later all of them are married.But they only see there parents at occasions only.Then one day the children's ask to come with them.The parents see that they are not caring for them.Story is powerful.Amitabhs performance is marvelous,Hema performance is absolutely magnificent.Divya acted good.The 4 men which played there sons where wasted but they looked very handsome.Salman is hardly there and within a blink he is gone.Mahima is also hardly there.Costumes are brilliant.Cinematography is excellent.Chereography is great.Dialogs are great.Sets are great too.The movie is a work of art,with the emphasis on art.Hema and Amitabhs chemistry is excellent.Songs are great too.London is shoot beautifully here.In my opinion this should have won the best movie award.The performances are award winning.Instant classic not to be missed

Baghban--A tale of parents shut in the dark by their own blood.

Author: mariam-bajwa from United States
22 May 2007

Where do I start. Personally this movie brought me to tears. Why? Because, if you are not of Desi(Pakistani, Bengali, Indian, Gujrati, Nepalense) descent you have to watch this movie. This movie depicts exactly what happens to Desi parents when their children have their own life. It is about a old man who gave his everything to his children. He went hungry each night so they didn't go to school without food. He slaved at work and how did his kids repay him? They badgered him for money for a car for luxuries. He gave up his retirement for that. He gave up everything. But the one son he adopted, the one that wasn't his own blood treated him like god. After his won sons had run him out of his life his adopted one took him and his wife in. The father wrote a book. About how "aulaad" or children betray you. Bestseller. His kids run back to him. For the money, he disowns them but keeps i touch with his grandchildren, who love him. This movie is also about love. The love he shared with his wife. The love that kept him from killing himself when his children showed their true colors. Their love. I choose to look at it from love's point of perspective. The other one is just too sad. I learned something from this movie. I learned to appreciate my father and mother. to always love them- Mariam Bajwa, Virginia USA

This film is a gem!

Author: Samad Baksh (Baksh1234) from United Kingdom
16 September 2005

I loved this film to shreds when i first watched it not just because of the pairing of Amitabh Bachchan and Hema Malini which is truly great but also because how the storyline says a lot for our generation and how we see our elders. I can't believe the on screen chemistry that both actors have still exists between each other even though they haven't made a film together for many years now. The songs are also worthy of a mention 'chali chali' and 'main yahaan tu kahaan' are in my opinion the best songs of the soundtrack and are expertly placed in the film itself which in itself is worthy of due acclaim as many films these days have songs which have no indication of the overall storyline. I have also got to mention salman's acting in this film as it was great and also made me shed a tear or so when i watched it in all honesty i haven't seen him act that well since maine pyaar kiya. It truly does say something this film and that is you may love your family a whole lot but you never know if you'll ever get that love back and you can only count on others who ain't necessarily family to give love to you and to those around you.

nicely done

Author: jun6lee from FilmCity
29 October 2003

i read a response saying this film was an absoulute miscast & it was unrealistic hat the children were so loving in 1st fifteen minutes & so otherwise in the rest of the film.

i must beg to differ. a parent sees their children as loving & i think it was genius & definitely intentional that it initially appeared this way. Reality then hits them as the children are just making use of their father as a resource.

Many in the crowd watching this will relate to this, either the father or even the children. My case was definitely the latter. It hits a guilt chord of whether or not we have treated our parents with the respect they deserved.

Amitabh & Hema definitely deliver with conviction the love between them & their love for the children. Their pain of being treated like trash again convincing on both parts. Songs were placed with some though & dont seem to just fill gaps as is the case many times in Bollywood.

The children don't need much scope for acting however do play the brats quite nicely, if that could be possible.

Though the events in the 2nd half do make you wonder how so many coincidences occur in a span of a week in their lives. We feel that they deserved this change for the better & more than this being a loophole in the script i see it as an uplifting moral story.

Good comes to those who are good, & like k3g of a couple of years back told us: "It's all about loving your parents!"

superb acting by amitabh bachchan

Author: Rahul Kumar Lodha (rahul_lodha@yahoo.com) from Kharagpur, India
9 October 2003

As these days family values are deteriorating, Baghban comes as an enlightner.This type of movie is necessary in the present scenario of westernisation of indian culture. I liked the movie because I love my father, mother and family. Moreover, Amitabh and Hema are superb in this movie. and what to talk about the song sung by Amitabh, I think he was much better than the present days professional play back singers. what a gravity in his voice...simply superb. The dialogues delivery is also very touching. Everyone should watch this movie and learn a lesson. Your mother and father should be before God.

Kunal's views

Author: Kunal Malhotra from Calcutta, India
6 October 2003

Amitabh has acted splendidly, by far one of his best movies ever, he even sounds good in the 3 songs he has song. The story line gets a little weak towards the end, yet a simple and clear story of present times. Hema Malini, who looks stunning, is bound to give competition to her daughter. The actors playing the role of Amitabh's sons are overacting. Paresh Rawal is a cheery on the whole pudding(star cast i.e.).Salman has also acted well, more like his Hum Apke Hain Kaun type of role. Overall the movie is a must see, with some great music and dancing( by Big B of course).

Great Story Bad Execution

Author: dhruvsha from United States
19 January 2009

OK first of all i loved the story, but the acting was overdone to the point of suffocation. Seriously, though it may depict probably real life experience, it was very unrealistic with what seemed to be very old Bollywood acting (most of the films in the 90s were more realistic executed).

I must admit, however, that this suffocating exaggeration worked with the film and depicted the emotions well. Whether someone was happy, sad, or angry, it captured it well. Still this is the 21st century. Get real.

I really don't think this is a movie worth paying for, but if your into the old romanticized film, this is the movie for you.

All in all, great story but they could have seriously toned down the ancient bollywood acting (im ignorant here i really haven't watched that many Bollywood movies that were made before the 1990s).

Can you trust your family? No, I mean really, can you?

Author: Sherazade from United States
6 August 2006

The only two faults I found with this stellar story of a film is the fact that it was a tad-bit too long, but most importantly the casting of Rimii Sen (in her debut role) as Suman Ranganathan daughter. I mean come on? Isn't Suman like 5 or 7 years tops older than Rimii? I just couldn't get passed that when it was established, and just thought I'd get it out there for future viewers, so that they can brace themselves. Anyways, the film begins very poetically showing a man care-freely walking along the beach at sunset with one of his sons. This man is later revealed to be Amitabh Bachchan, a man who has been happily married for 40 years to a very beautiful wife (played by the devastatingly beautiful Hema Malini). Together, they have four grown up sons, who soon come home to help their parents celebrate their 40th anniversary. While the boys visit, the parents are forced to share a small mattress all so their sons and their wives and kids can be comfortable. Very soon after the anniversary, Amitabh's character retires without much of a savings account and realises that he hadn't done much of investing in anything for himself or his wife, all had been done for the kids. He know feels that he is unable to afford the beautiful house that they rent from a nice landlord (played by Sharat Saxena) and so after celebrating Holi, the tell their children to make the decision on whose home they would now stay in since they were giving up the house. This is when the true colours of the kids and their wives come out, as none of them want their parents to come and live with them. Nevertheless, they decide to split up their parents whose 40 year love affair has been the envy of many, including the children and their wives. Slowly but surely, the true nature of the kids and their wives that was revealed previously only to the viewers now becomes known to the parents as they struggle to survive in the prison-like homes of their children. Salman Khan, Paresh Rawal, Mahima Choudry and Divya Dutta all co-star in this intensely stirring drama.

Classic Tearjerker

Author: Herag Halli from Heraganahalli, India
8 February 2004

There are few thing that stand out, music by Aditya Shrivastava and the Choreography by Vibhavi Merchat. This is one of the movies where you treasure the CD and the DVD,since there is complete instrumental of the "Mere Mukuda Tere Soniye" number which is superbly melodious. This is a movie that will be a classic with the inimitable Amitab Bachchan who also has become a singer another feather in the cap of this talented actor. Hisventies. His bronzed voice, albeit with litte vocal lessons for modulation; is astounding and a cross between Hemant Kumar and Saigal. Paresh Rawal and Lilette Dubey (Monsoon Wedding,Om Jai Jagdish,Chalte Chalte)are not only make a great comedy team but versatile actors. I was just spellbound by this movie so much so it takes you back to the golden era of the Sixties when it was called "Bombay" not Bollywood.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]