IMDb > Baghban (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Excellent movie!

Author: virindra from Netherlands
17 August 2006

What a great movie! I don't have to tell you that. Yes, the movie is somehow a little bit overdone, but the story is very new and refreshing. Two parents who have brought up 5 sons and at the end they only can depend on one, an adopted son.

I didn't like all of the sons as actors. The four men who came directly out of soap series, don't have it in them to play in a big Bollywood movie. They don't act confident although they try very hard. Even Salman Khan acted badly at the end of his speech for his father. What was he doing? Crying or something? I like him more in movies where he plays a mental patient like in Tere naam or Kyon ki? Not because I think Salman is a retard, but he is very great in such roles. The little boy who played the grandson was ridiculous to see. I have seen much better young actors of his age.

The whole movie was built on a big fundament called all together Amitabh Bachchan, Hema Malini, Paresh Rawal, Lillette Dubey and of course Sharat Saxena! Great songs, and well done dancing.

The end of Amitabh's speech where he thanks his wife is stolen directly from the movie A beautiful mind. A pity, but still Amitabh can make such a boring speech so interesting. Talking about boring, maybe one of the reporters in the movie has been sleeping when he asked: "If it would have been your own experience, what would you have done?" If he had listened to the speech he would have known that Baghban really was his life story.

Regressive yet worked due to it's message

Author: silvan-desouza from India
12 February 2014

The film was written 40 years before and had to star Dilip Kumar but then it got shelved and finally the film is made in 2003 with Amitabh(the most happening oldie) and Hema who reunite 20 years after Nastik. The film has a bunch of TV and small actors like Aman Verma, Suman Ragnathan, Sameer Soni, the talented Divya Dutta.etc and Salman and Mahima in guest roles.The film should've been made in 1970s it would suit at that time but looks outdated in 2003 but yet it worked with it's target audience and started a trend followed by several other makers. The reason for AB and Hema to separate looks far from real, also the youth are all painted black. Also the Salman track is straight out of a storybook. The emotional scenes are well handled though, and the end does seem novel and doesn't go the AVTAR, SWARG way.Amitabh's speech is amazing towards the end

Direction by Ravi Chopra is good Music is good, Chali Chali, Main Yahaan are superbly sung by Amitabh while the rest are okay

Amitabh Bachchan is superb in his role which only a veteran could play, he played an opposite role in K3G here he was on the receiving end and is superb. Hema Malini is amazing too in her role Sameer Soni is okay, Aman Verma is good in his role though he looks too young to play RImi's father, Suman Ragnathan is okay, Divya Dutta is as usual, Naseer is okay Paresh Rawal and Lillete Dubey are lovable, Salman Khan has a cameo and is okay however his role is too sugarcoated, Mahima is adequate Sharat Saxena, Avtar Gill, Asrani are as usual, Rimii Sen is okay but gets hardly any scope.

A realistic and touching family drama

Author: superindrajit from Hong Kong
25 August 2013

Baghban(2003) is a film that was supposed to be filmed and released a lot earlier than 2003 as director Ravi Chopra had the script ready. However, Chopra decided to take time and write another script. This script took years to finish and the film was finally planned and completed by early 2003. To Chopra's surprise, Baghban succeeded critically and commercially.

Baghban's story is actually quite realistic because it successfully shows a common life of children who fail to respect and support their parents. These children forget that their parents are the ones who worked hard to raise them, these children insult their parents, and these children don't understand the value of their parents. This is something that is seen in reality. In reality, there are many people who think that their old parents are a burden, these people fail to recognize the importance in their parents. The concept is brilliant and the narrative style is wonderful. Not once does the film succumb to mediocrity despite some melodramatic moments. Although the film does drag in a few parts due to the melodrama, it still picks up because of some nice light and comic moments which aren't forced.

Direction by Ravi Chopra is fantastic, he handles many scenes well despite a few clichés. Most of the first half is well handled and the greedy sons are well depicted. All the Amitabh-Hema scenes are a delight to watch as it's not a forced love story. All of the son's greed is well shown but it gets overdone in the 2nd half. The separation of Bachchan and Malini is well shown. The on goings do slow the film down because of several crying scenes. However, the Paresh Rawal scenes help lift the movie. The ending is brilliant, Amitabh's speech is well delivered and the movie ends on a good note.

Amitabh Bachchan does a fantastic job as the troubled father, his pain is well expressed through his eyes. As always, his expressions are wonderful. This is one role that no one could've done better than Amitabh. Paresh Rawal does a brilliant job, he lifts the movie after some boring melodrama. Salman Khan's act pales in front of Amitabh but he does a decent job especially in climax. Hema Malini is a delight to watch and her pairing with Bachchan is amazing, the last time they were paired together was in Nastik(1983) which didn't do good at the box office. Aman Varma, Sameer Soni and the other actors who play the sons are okay, the daughter in laws don't have much to do but irritate with their overacting. Raima Sen as the granddaughter does a decent job as the spoiled girl and the child actor playing the grandson does a decent job.

Music is extraordinary, the songs sung by Amitabh which include Main Yahan Tu Wahan, Holi Khele Raghuveera, and Chali song are awesome. The Chali song is tuneful and fits well with the film while the other songs also fit well in the film.

On the whole, Baghban is a well executed family drama which works from all aspects. The film succeeds because of a tight script, amazing performances, and melodious songs.

Original movie -- Badi Pantulu in Telugu (NTR, Anjali Devi and Sridevi)

Author: Lakshmi from USA
24 January 2010

Yes the film was an aesthetic success. I just loved the wonderful chemistry between Hemaji and Amitji. Hemaji looked better than any of her previous films I have seen. It is not just the beauty. It is that she lived that life for the span of this shooting, I felt. If everything is the same but without Hemaji in the film, I'm not sure of the product.

I wondering if the creators gave credit to the Telugu film makers anywhere in the credits, because I have not seen it. If they did not, FYI, this is lifted from a Telugu movie; completely, including the phone (there was a cute song -- by then baby Sridevi, that we all Telugu people adored); I wish the producers and director acknowledged the fact that this is remake of NTR and Anjali Devi film, Badi Pantulu (1972). Even the role played by Salman is not a new idea.

This is like the lifting Khilona, Kora Kagaj or many others in the past, as well. I thought, I just mention that.

However, I must tell you, the Hindi remake is made in a grandiose scale. Awesome!

A very positive response.

Author: kpeeler from Western Australia, Australia
27 October 2003

I must first admit that this movie, Baghban, introduces me to Bollywood, Indian made movies and what I hope will be a continuing experience with many more. My succinct comment of review and overall impression would recognize that the movie was delightful, refreshing, magnificent and charming. Delightful, refreshing, magnificent and charming cover a great deal of territory, but then so does a three hour movie, a lifetime in the case of Baghban. While in agreement with some critical comments in other more technical reviews, I believe, every movie leaves the viewer with an impression that will either endure for a period of time after the movie ends or finish as the movie finishes. The unique aspect achieved in Baghban, absent in so many movies these days, is that an uplifting quality of family, sacrifice and love is packaged so that viewers may take away a positive experience that is remembered long after the credits end and the lights come on. A lasting impression and a successful movie would seem to be synonymous. Baghban was both pleasurable and positive so if it lasts a while, who can complain? Since I write this from the prospective of a professional musician, I know that an ability to criticize and analyze does not constitute the focus, intent or impression any audience member takes with them nor does it change their overall experience. A momentary lack of continuity, inequality in the depth of characters and the lack of plausible reality within circumstance matters very little if such perceived weakness is embellished creatively. Technicalities can certainly fail any artistic endeavor and Baghban exhibits a few, however, `who cares' would be the proper response to criticism that completely misses `the big picture', pun intended. Finally, if the viewing audience gains anything that enhances their own lives through, in the case of Baghban, an example of respect and love for others, then escapism may just become character building. Movies are, if nothing else, a reflection of life so nearly everyone should be able to identify with Baghban.

Normal family life

Author: Duaa Ahmad from Saudi Arabia
6 January 2007

A heart touching movie. A true story for some families. Seriously fantastic but copied! It made my grandpa cry. Everyone's got to see it and understand a life which lasts for no one. It is so true and famous around India And Pakistan mow! Most of the Pakistani's say that it is a copied story of an old Pakistani movie called 'Gharana'. Surely it is tear jerking. It makes most of the people cry and satisfied in the end. It deserves a great reward. Don't miss it! YOU are going to LOVE it! Keep tissue boxes beside you when you watch this movie. You are seriously going to spread the whole movie to everyone as you are going to like it that much. Hope you enjoy it. It is Remarkable!!!

so sappy it should come with a Surgeon General's warning

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
4 January 2005

Watching "Baghban" is the movie equivalent of trying to eat one's way out of a vat of saltwater taffy for nigh unto three hours. This Indian film is a sticky sweet, sentimental soap opera that starts off like "King Lear," moves on to "Romeo and Juliet" in the middle section, then heads back again to "King Lear" for its tear-soaked finale.

Raj Malhotra is a bank accountant who seems to have everything a man could possibly want out of life: a wife who adores him, a family who loves him, and a job from which he is about to retire after a lifetime of faithful service. Even though Raj and his wife, Pooja, have been married for 40 years and have four grown sons, they still act like a couple of love struck newlyweds, cooing and sighing, batting their eyes at one another and whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears almost to the point of nausea. In fact, the whole bloody brood is so happy, loving and harmonious that they make the Von Trapps look like a dysfunctional family in comparison. The parents and children joke together, laugh together, even perform elaborately choreographed, "spontaneous" song-and-dance numbers together (like many Bollywood productions, "Baghban" is a drama interspersed with a great number - in this case, far too great a number - of musical sequences).

Anyone who knows anything at all about storytelling is aware that such unadulterated bliss can not be allowed to go unpunished for long, and that all that joy is merely the prelude to some awful catastrophe destined to come crashing down on the heads of our unsuspecting revelers. Knowing this, we spend the first hour of the film in fearful expectation, wondering just what form that disaster will take when it does finally arrive. The thunderclap occurs about an hour into the film, when Raj announces to his children that he and their mother have decided to move in with one of their families, leaving the choice of which one it will be up to the kids and their respective spouses. Suddenly, like King Lear discovering the vipers hidden in the familial bosom, Raj finds out that his children are not quite as loving, selfless and eager to share their homes and lives with their parents as he had originally thought. Understandably horrified at the prospect, the kids, in order to foil their parents' plan, come up with a scheme in which Raj will go live with one of their children, while Pooja will live with another; then they will switch off until, eventually, each of the children has had a chance to host both parents and then the cycle will repeat itself ad infinitum. Much to the chagrin of the kids, the parents accede to the plan, even though the two are deeply in love with one another and have never spent any time apart. Thus, the second and most of the third hour are spent with the two aging (albeit married) lovers pining away for one another, while their ungrateful, insensitive little brats do everything in their power to make their parents understand how unwelcome they are in their homes.

One of the major problems with "Baghban" is that it lacks subtlety in both its storytelling and direction. The love that Ray and Pooja feel for one another, as well as the almost giddy closeness of the family unit, is laid on so thickly in the first hour that the film almost collapses under the weight of the sentimentality. Then, virtually without any warning, the screenplay turns on a dime and converts the kids into callous, self-centered monsters and the parents into passive, whiny victims of that callousness. Raj and Pooja are a little too long in the tooth and a little too self-reliant to be doing the dreamy-eyed, pouting, unrequited love bit, more appropriate to lovelorn school kids than the parents of four grown children. The purple prose style, in which every emotion is underlined and highlighted, leads to intense overacting and a heavy reliance on corny reaction shots and melodramatic music for punctuation. The musical numbers convey a certain liberating joy in the beginning, but they go on for so long and turn up so frequently that they quickly lose their effectiveness and serve only to pad out the material to unendurable proportions. At least a full hour could be excised from this bloated production with no discernible harm being done - and quite a bit of good. There really is no reason why this film needs to drag on for a punishing three hours. Most egregious of all is the seemingly endless harangue we are subjected to an the end, a speech in which Raj (who has somehow managed to turn his experiences into an award-winning bestseller) lectures us all on the verities of parent/child relationships for ten straight minutes at the very least.

"Baghban" is a sappy, corny saga, filled with more sugar and goo than a king-sized box of See's chocolates. Sample at your own risk.

Copy cat movie

Author: sanjayppc
7 July 2014

Baghban is a scene to scene copy of the tamil movie " Varavu nalla Uravu" directed by actor-director Visu.

The Hindi film titles do not even acknowledge this. Disgraceful.

The tamil version was far more realistic. Here, U have amit & hema wearing designer clothes & living in a posh bungalow & then to say that they go bankrupt is a little too much.

But for Hindi audiences, even beggars have to look neat. Realism & Hindi cinema do not go together & this film is no exception.

Do not waste time watching this film.

As for amitabh bachchan, pls retire maan.

Lots of tears and emotions......

Author: koelsinha-2011 from United Kingdom
11 July 2011

As one's parents get older their habits get formed and many times members of the younger generation (myself included) get angry at them and I felt how important it is to overlook the immediate state of your parents, and instead to reflect on how they have toiled in bringing you up. Another question that arose in my mind after watching the movie was whether parents have children so that they have someone to take care of them or do they have children without any ulterior motive. After having discussions with my Mom (in relation to this movie) I realized that, yes, everyone does have expectations, but that's not the reason that they work so hard to build a child's future. In fact, as a child, we have expectations from our parents through our dependence on them, so why should we accuse them of wrongdoing when we have similar expectations. It is human to want to be loved, and that's the least we can do for our parents. Well, after reading this lengthy philosophical discussion you can see how thought-provoking this movie is. Let me get back to the movie. After a long time I have enjoyed watching Amitabh Bachchan, and Hema Malini's performance was so subtle and yet she gave a powerful performance. There is one scene in particular, where she tells Amitabh to have his medicine (right before they get separated) and one moment she has her eyes shut and the next moment her eyes are filled with tears.

Very Partial

Author: john_simension from United States
15 April 2008

Two days ago I got a chance to watch this movie on Cable (TV-Asia). I have been very disturbed since then. The movie "Baghban" has been very successful in portraying only one side of the real life. It is highly partial towards parents. Have you ever thought of other side (kids)?? There are few parents in this world who just give birth to their kids but don't give right parental care. I am a victim of that. Why do you (parents) want to have 5 kids in your life if you are merely making only Rs 2000 per month? I was made to work on streets along with my siblings. I have no idea how I managed to reach IIT from there. It has been a long time since then but still I don't believe. Now I am a research scientist here in USA. I have provided all the necessities to my parents along with care by my two brothers who stay along with them. They could not provide basic things to us when we were kids. I find this movie very resentful. Its very partial. It has hurt my sentiments very deeply. I strongly urge the producer/director of this movie to look at the Indian society in other point of view also and make another movie. I can be reached at john_simension@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]