13 Going on 30 (2004) Poster

Wonderful Movie, Artfully Delivered Societal Message, Highly Recommended
polkkev19 January 2018
First know this: One of my favorite movies is "No Country For Old Men." Now "13 Going on 30" is a favorite too. I like both movies because they send powerful messages. I found this movie while searching for "Thriller" on YouTube. I knew my wife would love it, so we watched it together. I hit the mark, she loved it. HOWEVER, I really loved it too. So much so that I watched it again. 13 going on 30 has a simple story arch that is very well written, directed and acted. And I love simple done well. But then there's the message. This movie came out in 2004, but it's talking right at us in 2018 and beyond. I won't spoil the movie by writing the message here, but know that the writers were sending us a stern message in a sweet movie. The casting and acting are excellent and are spot on with the message.
An OK movie
Matt Smitty14 October 2017
5.5 This is pretty good for a chick flick (if thats what it is??). Its very entertaining and decent paced. Its about a girl who is 13 and wishes she was in her 30s. She is suddenly transported into time and wakes up in a 30-something year-olds body (her future self). She finds that she doesn't like it as much as thought and wishes she would have married the guy kid friend she was mean to.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A really fun unexpectedly funny film
studioAT29 July 2017
Body/age swap films have been a part of Hollywood tradition for years, and this fab film is modern example of this.

Directed in style by the late Gary Winick this is a better film than I and I think a lot of people would expect.

With a great central performance from Jennifer Garner this is a fun, enjoyable film that is not only very funny, but also has a lot of heart.

I enjoyed this film thoroughly, even though I don't think I was the main target audience, and would recommend people check it out.
A likable film
jamariana23 July 2017
"13 Going on 30" is your average romantic comedy from the early 21st century. It's a decent enough film that has the creativity to boost it just a bit above the common collection of chick flicks back in those days. I love it's tribute to the '80s, I love Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo's characters, and I love the kind woman that the 13-year-old Jenna "grows up" to be. It's cute, whimsical, and very watchable. It's like a female version of the Tom Hanks classic "Big". Be careful what you wish for is the obvious lesson of both films. Worth a watch.
Another you
Prismark102 July 2017
13 Going on 30 is those body swap movies popular in the late 1980s such as Big and Vice Versa.

In 1987, Jenna Rink a gawky girl yearns to be popular. After an embarrassing incident with the 'it' girls at her birthday party she locks herself in a closet and wishes she was 30.

Jenna finds herself 17 years later in 2004, now played by Jennifer Garner, fashion magazine executive but with the mind of a teenager who has to stumble through this new grown up world she finds herself in.

Jenna hooks up with old school friend Matt (Mark Ruffalo) who is a promising but struggling photographer. Matt was a geek back in the day but despite being her best friend then, he is cold and distant now as Jenna herself became an 'it' girl and then a tough as boots executive.

The new Jenna has ideas to reboot the struggling magazine and wants Matt to do the photo-shoot but her ideas are stolen by a rival magazine and a close friend is doing the dirty on her.

The film is about second chances and finding your true self rather than trying to be like other more popular people. Garner does her best with the role, playing the right amount of a gawky teenager in a woman's body without overdoing it, but really it is hard to believe Garner was once an awkward looking girl.

Mark Ruffalo and Andy Serkis look a tad uncomfortable being in a romantic comedy. Serkis at least puts his all in as the magazine editor, Ruffalo looks he is solely in this film because his agent told him that it would be a good move for his career.
Enjoyable comedy
Davis P6 April 2017
13 going on 30 starring Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo is an enjoyable romantic comedy. It focuses on second chances/correcting life altering mistakes. Garner is the perfect actress to play this role. The actress must be likable and must have a cute factor to her in order to succeed in playing this kind of character and Jennifer definitely has those things. She and Ruffalo have really good chemistry as a couple too, they just seem like a natural fit. Mark Ruffalo is a good actor to play opposite Garner, he's very mellow, laid back, sweet, and endearing. I also really thought that Judy Greer was a near perfect choice to play the old stuck up mean girl from high school grown up. She played the b***h card so well! The script worked too. It has a good amount of comedy and still has room for some serious material that pertains to the entire basis of the storyline. I liked the scenes where Garner is grown up now and she realizes that she has become a woman she does NOT want to be at all. She's hurt people she loves and made pretty poor life decisions that have stolen her "happy ending" she wanted so badly. And there's a very funny club dance scene involving Michael Jackson's biggest hit thriller. Overall it's a light dose of fun. 7/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We delve into the mindset of a teenage girl...
Nicolas F. Costoglou26 January 2017
Which is the strongest part of this charming, funny and romantic fairy-tale.

All the parts of the film that shouldn't work, work because of it's premise. The movie tells the story of a little 13 year old girl who wants to be an adult because her life is soooooooo much crap...at least she thinks that, everything's pretty normal actually, but from the perspective of this girl it's fully reasonable for us as audience to roll with this idea, otherwise it just would be a fairly weak motivation for our protagonist.

And even when she's 30 she has no real problems, everything works pretty good, the only problem is, that she sees it with the same mindset, and that's why this movie is so great. It has almost something cynical, because we know that nothing she deals with is actually that big a deal, and that most people would want such a lifestyle.

The reason we can fully appreciate this mindset is because of Jennifer Garner, who gives such a believable and most of all sincere performance. At no point in the movie it felt inappropriate, or took me out of the movie, when she does little girl things as an adult. There was never a moment where i thought to myself:"It feels weird and uncomfortable to see an adult do these innocent things..." which is a big compliment for her performance.

For example: There is a scene in the movie which even the director didn't wanted to make, where she has a sleepover with some teenage girls, while she's an adult and they all talk about love, dress up and sing karaoke. Normally this would feel uncomfortable and girly, but even the director said that he thinks that it's one of the best scenes in the movie, and i agree.

Also the other actors are very good in reacting to how she discovers the world. Andy Serkis as her boss is a delight and Mark Ruffalo is a fully believable friend who's conflicted with his love to her and his future wife. Everyone else is as good, and no one gets out of line.

That the "original" timeline of the movie is set in the 80's is also a big part why i like this so much, all she does "today" is highly influenced by this time, and i'm a big fan of the style and music (and movies).

Also all the innocent child-like things she does to help other people, or to safe the company (and stuff) also works surprisingly well for this kind of movie, it's not TOO Hollywood-ish, but certainly fantasy for sure.

I mean she safes a party by starting to dance to Michael Jacksons "Thriller" and everyone joins her, and it's actually pretty charming instead of embarrassing, this is also due to the good direction.

The last time i watched this film was in the year 2005 when it was on television, and i remember thinking it was very enjoyable. Now that i watched it again i can fully appreciate the view of a child on it's own future and how well it works.

This movie is surprisingly charming, funny, and most of all sincere, a large part of this is due to the great direction and Jennifer Garners excellent performance...
Good Rom/com
destinylives5220 August 2016
A teen-aged girl who is part of the "out crowd" makes a wish that she is already 30-years-old and living a fabulous life; and with the help of some magic dust, it happens. She wakes up as an adult (played by Jennifer Garner) living in an expensive apartment in Manhattan, with a high-paying job in a magazine, and she has a boyfriend who is a famous, popular, hockey player. Oh, and she still has the mind of a 13-year-old! Garner slowly realizes that her dream life is not what she thought it would be — the cost of getting all these things she considers fabulous is that she became a "mean girl" and she alienated the boy who would grow up to be the man she still loves (played by Mark Ruffalo). As hard as Garner tries to make things right, what she has done in the past is done, and people have moved on and she'll have to suffer the consequences of her actions. But…there may yet be one small hope of altering her present life. Although the premise of "13 Going On 30" is far from original, Jennifer Garner's performance and chemistry with Ruffalo make this an enjoyable rom/com. We all know Garner is a natural at drama, but here she also shows how adept she is at comedy. My most memorable, movie moment of "13 Going On 30" is the scene when Garner and Ruffalo start doing the Michael Jackson "Thriller" dance!

Mannysmemorablemoviemoments
A good movie for 20-somethings
The_Aspiring_Writer19 June 2016
13 Going on 30 is a cute movie about learning that it's OK to feel like a kid at heart when being a grown up. It's especially good for 20-somethings because they're about to turn 30 themselves. They're at the age where they can feel like kids while learning about adulthood.

Jennifer Garner plays Jenna, a woman who turns 30 overnight - when her 13th birthday was literally yesterday. As a grownup, she learns that life can be difficult and that she's not exactly who she wanted to be. That's why I think 20-somethings can relate to it. When they're younger, they have dreams of what their adulthood will be like, but once they approach it, they wonder what went wrong. Just like what Jenna did.

It's a cute movie because it's not just about the life lesson; it's about reconnecting with old friends. It's about dealing with romantic relationships and crushes and dating. And there's a bunch of '80s music throughout the movie. Anyone of any age would enjoy this movie, especially if you want to live like a kid at heart throughout adulthood.
Beautiful
adonis98-743-18650327 March 2016
Packed with a bunch of beautiful performances by a great cast and a cute idea for a movie 13 Going on 30 is not your usual Romantic Movie with girly stuff. Great Soundtrack with songs from that time and from the 80's and a great love chemistry between Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo. The movie sure has the same old things like other movies have Friendship goes to love, they break up they get it together again they get married and those stuff but even tho it's not an original movie it's still great on it's own way. Also watching Hulk get married with Elektra Natchios and living on a Pink House is enough for those who want to laugh a little bit cause this movie is sweet, funny and great. I give it a 10/10.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my top 10 guilty pleasure movies...
law-turley11 February 2016
I love this movie. I've seen it maybe four of five times, but this morning I woke up knowing that today I'd just have to watch it again.

There are some movies that just embody the term 'feelgood' and this film is one of them. I love all kinds of movies, from foreign art-house to westerns through to zombie horror flicks and courtroom dramas, but for me there's always a place for films like this that just give you a lift, aren't super-taxing to the intellect, and leave you just a tiny bit wrung out from the tears of empathy and laughs of delight.

I also think this particular 'body swap' has a little more to offer than most, as it's one of those rare beasts: a really positive movie about how to be a decent human being. Jennifer Garner as Jenna is very warm and real, and you grow to genuinely care for her as she stumbles her way through adult life slowly realising that all that glittered wasn't gold after all. It's Mark Ruffalo's Matty that is the real beating heart of the film though. From the first moment he opens his apartment door to the teenage brained Jenna, the distrust and pain he feels around the girl he once loved is palpable. You so badly want him to let his guard down, but at the same time you perfectly understand what's happened here, because scabbed-over betrayal is a universal concept we can all understand.

No great analysis is needed for this movie, just a good rating and a recommendation to watch it whenever you're feeling low :)
Much Too Fun For Its Own Good
gavin69424 February 2016
A 13 year old girl plays a game on her 13th birthday and wakes up the next day as a 30 year old woman (Jennifer Garner).

Yeah, so maybe I watched this movie because I love Mark Ruffalo. And maybe it is more interesting now (2016) because it also has Brie Larson, who was recently nominated for an Oscar (and will probably win). But this is actually a fun movie that is more than just a sappy romantic comedy.

What is really weird though is Jennifer Garner's voice. I mean, I get that it's a 13-year old in a 30-year old's body. But wow, she sounds childish, and it is disturbing that the male characters find this attractive. You pervs! But hey, if nothing else, we learn that the geeks will grow up to inherit the earth.
A very quirky movie!
Irishmoviereviewer6 January 2016
I have never seen Jennifer Garner actually acting in a film before so this was my first time to see her in a film and this is in 2016 haha! She looked very beautiful as playing her adult self and she even looked fashionable by dressing up as a 13 year old. I really did want herself and Mark Ruffalo to definitely become a couple especially as their teenage selves at the beginning of the movie. The pair of them did looked so much like their mini mes. I can't believe Sean Marquette and Christa B. Allen are so much older and look more adult now! Of course, this was only 12 years ago and yes it was a long time ago! Still, time flies when you don't realise the changes over the years!

This was a really good chick flick! It definitely would be better if you have popcorn and a fizzy drink to make you feel more comfortable watching this film!
Great movie!
Seth Landers23 September 2015
What if you made a mistake that you wish you could take back and change? That question is explored in 13 Going on 30.

The movie is about a young girl named Jenna who wishes she was 30 and it comes true. She wakes up in a New York City apartment and finds out that she works for a magazine company. When she visits her old friend, Matt, things have changed. He's engaged and hasn't seen her since high school. Jenna goes on a journey to figure out her life and who she truly. I won't elaborate anymore on the plot because I don't want to spoil anything.

I praise the casting. Jennifer Garner was fabulous in the role, which added a lot of charm to the performance. It's the chick flick equivalent of Big with Tom Hanks. This fantasy movie is enjoyable throughout and put a huge smile on my face. I got the DVD as a present and I thank my mother for getting it for me because this was a great movie. If you have 90 minutes to spare and you like the movie Big, then this is for you!
13 Going On Garner.
Python Hyena3 June 2015
13 Going on 30 (2004): Dir: Gary Winick / Cast: Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo, Judy Greer, Kathy Baker, Andy Serkis: Amusing romantic comedy about growing up too fast. It stars Jennifer Garner who at thirteen wished she could be thirty because of an embarrassing incident at her birthday party. She was attempting to fit in with the popular yet nasty crowd. The screenplay suggests that magic dust is used to turn her thirty but thankfully it doesn't stoop to such juvenile gestures. At thirty she works for Poise magazine and her confusion and awkwardness give her a sense that perhaps being thirteen wasn't so bad. Despite its predictable structure director Gary Winick does a fantastic job. That has much to do with the casting of two effective leads that present sincerity. Jennifer Garner is absolutely hilarious playing a thirteen year old wonderfully yet she tries desperately to make her situation better. Mark Ruffalo as her childhood friend now photographer adds to the chemistry. He is confused at her dilemma but he is the only one she can turn to. Both survive romantic clichés while Judy Greer and Kathy Baker are subdued within flat supporting roles. Finally there is a wasted performance by Andy Serkis who isn't exactly winning awards playing Garner's boss either. Its lessons regards appreciating life and not taking for granted what you have at any age. Score: 7 / 10
Amazing rom-com
brkc8 December 2014
This is the perfect late night film for when your partner is snoring and you want nothing more but to relax with a fantasy chick flick that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and wanting your own magical love story. Well in this you find it and more. Jenna Rink wants nothing more than to be thirty, flirty and thriving, however when she gets her wish, with a little help from her best friend Matty, she discovers that the girls in the magazines are all they're cracked up to be... With a combination of wild dreams, fantasy, comedy and of course it's fairytale love story, this film is sure to make you feel girlie and all mushy without fail. I hope you love it as much as me :) x
I love this movie
padma b8 November 2014
It was amazing watching the first time and I couldn't help watching it again and again. Mar Ruffalo looks top notch and after Just like Heaven I was searching for all of his movies. This proved to be among the same league and I ended up loving him even more. After Colin Firth he is my top adorable in romantic comedies. It is one of those movies that I never get tired of watching again and again. Just wish they had more romance between leads. It left me craving for more such tender moments. Jennifer Garner has the main character and has maximum screen time and she proves herself in crucial scenes. She was lovely in thriller song sequence. Wish we can get more such movies
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another romantic comedy in a sea of identical movies
Marko Zivanovic24 October 2014
The story of the movie is as follows: Jenna Rink (Jennifer Garner) is a 13-year-old girl, who was not among the popular in his school. Her wish is that he becomes friends with girls who are popular. After a really bad day, ruined birthday party, Jenna was locked in a closet and wants only one thing, that is 30 years old. Her wish is fulfilled, the day became thirty years girl. The story has already been exploited so many times that at the very beginning know the storyline and ending. I'm not saying that the movie is a complete failure when it comes to jokes. Has a few silly scenes, but they are rare. As for the stars Jennifer Garner was good, I think, is not a difficult task to play a girl of 13 years. But she was definitely the best part of the movie. The film received several nominations for the Teen Choice Awards. Which is fully justified, because it is designed for teenagers, who have 13 years old. Which will after this movie sigh, and think something like, "I'd love to love like this happen to me" or "I wish I was as Jenna Rink. Skip this movie if you have more than 13 years.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watchable, But Nothing New!
g-bodyl13 October 2014
I felt like I have seen the plot of 13 Going on 30 a trillion times before, so I was able to predict the outcome of the movie only two minutes in. It's not bad in any way, but it's nothing that great either. Only the always watchable Jennifer Garner makes this movie worth watching. The movie offers up a stale script, but Garner is able to infuse her charm to make this rom-com merely watchable. This is a great date movie for sure. It's funny at times and it kind of made me wish I grew up in the 80's.

Gary Winick's film is about a 13-year-old girl named Jenna Rink who wishes she was 30. Now she has received her wish and now her 30-year-old body must cooperate with her 13-year-old mind. As a magazine editor, they may be hard to do. When she discovers her best friend, Matt living nearby, she discovers that perhaps an old friend may be the flame of her life.

This film is well-acted and the acting saves the day. Jennifer Garner is the right person to work in a rom-com and she does an excellent job. She's cheerful, quirky, and a blast to watch. I must also mention Mark Ruffalo. He is nearly as good as Garner and they work very well with each other. It's also nice to see Andy Serkis in a role where he doesn't need CGI. He was a hoot to watch.

Overall, 13 Going on 30 is pleasurable enough to watch, stale script and all. In the kind of genre with this kind of plot, there have been better movies like 1988's Tom Hanks film, Big. I was entertained and thanks to the likable leads, the film sort of works. Not great, but not awful. I rate this film 7/10.
13 Going on 30 is enjoyable and pleasure to watch
satkum11329 July 2014
13 going on 30 is something which every teenager is like, the way how Jenna rink going in future and realize that she achieved all things which she dream , and became a editor of successful magazine, but she is in mess when realize that her loved one's including her childhood best friend's Matt Flammer is no more in relation, and also detached with her mom and dad are not connected anymore and feel herself lonely and cheated by her friend tom , but she tried hard to make things better but all is not gone well in time and Matt is marry with other girl .

The best part of film is the character of Jenna Rick played by Jennifer Garner and charter of Matt played by Mark Ruffalo who just put more depth in the role and make it's worth watching , Jennifer Garner natural charm and Mark Ruffalo stability , deepness and seriousness in her character makes the scene more beautiful to watch .
"Pretty Good Comedy!"
gwnightscream24 April 2014
Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo and Judy Greer star in this 2004 comedy. Garner plays Jenna, a young woman who discovers that her wish of being 30 years old has come true. She has everything she could want, but is confused and tries to rediscover herself. She also tries to reconnect with her best friend, Matt (Ruffalo) who is a photographer. Greer plays Lucy, her conniving friend whom she works with for a fashion magazine. This is a pretty good film, Jennifer is great in it and she & Mark have good chemistry. There's some humorous and a bit of heartfelt moments plus classic 80's songs like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield." I recommend this.
Timeless Movie
laurenkarina13069823 January 2014
This isn't the type of a 'perfect' movie like Gravity or The Help, but regardless, this movie is timeless... I've watched it since I was a kid and I think I watched it for like 200 times or more already, but it never gets old.

I know it's an old movie, but I'm making the review now because I'm pretty young and I think I was still about 6 or something when this movie was made.

Yes, this is a chick-flick, but it certainly has a powerful silver lining towards you (quoted it online, but true,though): "u should keep the ones who stood by you while climbing the mountain, not the ones waiting for you at the peak."

Jennifer Garner was amazing!! She was funny, her acting was perfect, she's what I imagine an immature grown up would be. And I also love Mark Ruffalo there... he was pretty cute. and he's a really talented actor too. Oh yeah, and Judy Greer!!!She didn't have many parts here, but I loved her at the Carrie remake and it was really good to see her so beautiful at her young days (she's still beautiful now, BTW)

The story's not bad at all either. The lines aren't as cheesy as you thought. I even consider some of it genius. And I love the ending!!!
Inoffensive rom-com
SnoopyStyle13 October 2013
Jenna Rink wants to be in the cool school group Six Chicks. On her 13th birthday party, Jenna is humiliated by the cool girls and wishes to get to when she's 30. The wish comes true and she time-travels to when she's 30. She's a big time magazine editor, her best friend is Lucy (Judy Greer), and a NY Ranger boyfriend.

Of course the dream job is a magazine editor. It's a silly cute little rom-com. The first 15 minutes with Jenna as a kid was quite compelling. Jennifer Garner really plays dumb as the superficial 13 year old. It's harmless fun, but then it turns into this girl competition in the big world. The tone is a little too harsh with the backstabbing friend. The rom-com doesn't come off well since he already has a nice girlfriend. It's just not well thought out as a fairy tale.

Garner keeps her childlike tone. It helps that she has the biggest laugh. But she can't really elevate this movie much further than a watchable rom-com.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Derivative of BIG but it's pretty charming anyway, thanks to Garner's irresistible performance
callanvass24 August 2013
It's pretty simple. A girl is unhappy with her life as a 13 year old and wishes to be a grown up. She gets her wish, and is automatically thrust into the life of a grown up the next day with entertainingly predictable results. Let's face it. This is no BIG, but I still had a pretty damn good time for the most part. It's basically Jennifer Garner in Tom Hank's shoes in many ways, but she manages to overcome the derived plot. She also gets a helping hand from a fantastic supporting cast from Mark Ruffalo, Judy Greer, among others. Despite all of its predictability, this should be able to entertain the masses due to Garner's alluring performance. The chemistry between Garner & Ruffalo is one of the main reasons this movie works. Watching them together was a treat to watch. It also packs quite an emotional wallop and does have a mind of its own, other than just being BIG for females, even though there are eerie similarities. It has a great message. Despite the fact that you may not be overly popular, if you continue to be you, good things may happen. If you dislike this film, there really might be something wrong with you. In all seriousness; it's one of those movies you can't help but like, and feel good about after you're done watching it.

Final Thoughts: Pretty entertaining stuff. I don't care if a movie is derived from other things, as long as it has a mind of it's own and charm to spare, and this has charm in spades. Fall in love with Jennifer Garner, and enjoy!

7.5/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable for what it is, even if you're not in its demographic.
Sergeant_Tibbs10 July 2013
Okay well, admittedly 13 Going On 30 is designed inside and out for 13 year old girls. But with its bright colours, cheery attitude and great soundtrack, it's efficiently feel-good for any age and gender. I miss these kinds of family friendly comedies with charming goofball performances and a wonderful score constantly giving movie magic. Granted, it is very silly and essentially as good as this kind of film gets. However, I do wish the Jenna-being-30 sequence went on for longer rather than leaving at the crisis point and then solving the character's problem for her. Anyway, it was enjoyable for what it was and I quite liked its message and I hope it worked on that generation and lead them in the right direction.