IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 33: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Great movie! =D

Author: lunalovegood_92 from Mexico
10 October 2007

I remember how much I insisted my mother to rent this movie. I wanted to watch it in the movie theater, but we were so busy that that was impossible. So, one day after school she brought me there and I picked this movie. I think I chose the perfect moment to watch it: a week before my 13th birthday!

The situations that Jenna lives are so real that any girl of this planet can feel identified with them. Besides, I think Jennifer Garner was the perfect actress to play this role, cause she had the perfect combination of charisma and sensibility to make this character real. The same happens with Mark Ruffalo, it's impossible to feel anything but love for him! And the both have this great chemistry on screen that makes all the romance believable.

This movie made me laugh out loud, made me cry and made me feel in such a nice way that I cannot do something else but recommend it! Trust me, you won't be disappointed at the end of the film because I can assure you that you'll wish (depending on your age) to turn back time and have thirteen again or to make the clock go faster and become thirty, flirty and thriving!

Predictable but enjoyable and quite charming on its own terms

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
10 September 2007

Jenna Rink is a nerdy, shy and unpopular girl, who even ends her own 13th birthday party as an object of ridicule. In response she locks herself away wishing her childhood away and longing to be a successful and sexy 30 year old. She wakes the next morning to find that she has got her wish and is 30 years old living in a swish New York City with an attractive boyfriend and a high-power job as a magazine editor. The only problem is that her last memory was her 13th birthday party and she still has the attitude of 13 year old. So while everyone seems to have known her as an adult for years, she struggles to come to terms with this sudden change.

The title tells you everything you need to know about this film as it is simply a very slight twist on the many other "body swap" comedies that Hollywood puts out every so often. Within this genre it does just what you expect it to do – Jenna struggles with her adult self and causes all manner of confusion by still behaving as a child, before lessons are learnt and all is right with the world etc. However I did come into it expecting this and perhaps that helped me enjoy it because I didn't find myself complaining about how obvious it all was – maybe I had just accepted it as a genre piece with all the faults that come with the "body swap" genre.

As a genre film I found it to be quite delightful and I was quite taken by the breezy charm that it had. Of course narrative wise it is nonsense and at times I did find the "learning lessons" bits to occasionally hit the screen with a clunk but, like Jenna it is quite sweet within its own little world. Credit where credit is due because, although some of this charm is in the script the vast majority of it comes from a wonderfully selfless performance from Garner. She looks silly at times and the story doesn't help her that much but mostly she makes it work. Ruffalo isn't at his best but he has an easy charm to him and has good chemistry with Garner that works well in the scenes they share. The support cast is secondary to these two but they do mostly do what is asked from them, specifically Greer and Serkis.

Overall then this is a genre film and it is no surprise that the film brings with it all the predictability and weakness of the "body swap" genre. However once you accept this and get into it, you find that mostly this is quite an enjoyable and charming little film – sure the material is clunky but it is a bit like Garner's performance in that it is a little silly but yet hard not to like.

Jennifer Garner's charm compensates the lack of originality

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
20 March 2007

The "body-swap" concept is, by now, a fairly overused one. Back in 1988, when the Tom Hanks vehicle Big was released, it was a new, brilliant idea, but after almost twenty years it's probably time to come up with something new. Still, this doesn't prevent 13 Going on 30 from being an entertaining, albeit very predictable, comedy.

As alluded to in the title, the movie is about a 13-year old girl, named Jenna Rink. She's like any other teenager, that is until she locks herself up in a closet after a disastrous birthday party. While she's in there, she exclaims: "I want to be 30!". And what do you think happens when she comes out again? That's right, all of a sudden she is 17 years older, with no explanation whatsoever. Not that it really matters: why complain when your adult self (Jennifer Garner) is hot, works for a famous fashion magazine and is dating a hockey star? Actually, that last bit kind of troubles Jenna, who's more interested in finding the only real friend she had as a kid. And boy, has he changed: Matt (Mark Ruffalo) is no longer the chubby guy he used to be; instead, he looks good, has a decent job and (a shock, this one) is about to get married, just when Jenna's feelings for him were starting to evolve.

13 Going on 30 covers practically no new ground at all, with its sweet, but far from original story and quite stereotyped characters (although Andy "Gollum" Serkis manages to raise a few laughs as Jenna's boss). What makes it watchable is mainly Garner's innocent, believable performance, and the scenes she shares with Ruffalo are quite good as well, even if the writers never really focus on the fact that the relationship is between a grown-up man and a 13-year old (who looks 30, that's true, but deep inside she's still a kid). It's kind of refreshing to see the Alias star doing comedy, and what could have been an annoying pantomime is actually a convincing turn that never feels contrived or ridiculous. Shame the rest of the movie can't quite match her work.

In short, neither a throwaway rom-com, nor a comic milestone: just average, light entertainment, fun to watch but not much more.

6,5/10

Hard Lessons to Learn

Author: noisy_crickette from United States
10 August 2006

This is a cute, funny movie with an excellent message. Basically, Jennifer Garner plays Jenna, a cute 13-year-old with the same issues as any young teenage girl. She has her enemies whom she wants so desperately to hang out with, and she has her best friend Matt who is so desperate to hang out with her and only her.

Jennifer's dreams start to come true when the popular girls she calls the "6 Chicks" come to her birthday party. While there, they are horribly mean to her and she ends up wishing with all her might that she were 30, because she would be "30, Flirty, and Thriving". When she wakes up, she is.

Throughout the movie, Jenna learns what life really would be like if all of her dreams had come true. But she also learns what she had right in front of her the entire time.

Jennifer Charms Her Way to the Screen!

Author: moviewizguy from United States
18 June 2006

A 13 year old girl, Jenna, has her birthday. Her friend, Matt, gives her wishing dust. She invites the clique, The Six Chicks. They somehow ruin her party and gets mad at Matt. She bumps into his present and wishing dust falls on her. She wishes to be 30, flirty, and thriving. Then we see her wake up from bed. We see her at the age of 30! She's just getting used to be 30 and a magazine editor, which are being slaughtered by their enemy, the Poise Magazine. She gets help from Matt to make her life simpler than it is now.

This film is funny and sweet. Jennifer's charm lights up the screen and makes you smile and cry. Garner and Ruffalo's acting are great in the movie. They interact with each other great. If you watch the movie, there's something bad happening to her again and again. You'll have to question how is she going to solve this when those are happening?! Well, you'll get the answer in the end of the film. This film is truly fun.

It's just a feel good film that will make you smile. I recommend this film a lot! Great movie! Keep what you're doing Jennifer Garner!

Surprisingly uplifting

Author: from UK
2 June 2006

With such films you should not embark on watching expecting a great deal- and indeed I didn't. Being an Alias fan I wanted to see how Jenifer Garner delivers comedy. The answer is easily. She brings such a sweetness to the role of 13-year old Jenna stuck in the body of a 30 year old. Mark Ruffalo deserves a mention as well for his charming ways, playing Jenna's long lost school friend. The two complement each other very well. The story is not original but yet somehow it breathes an air refreshment and serves to uplift you. There were a rather sufficient amount of great comedic scenes that will serve to keep your interest at the very least. The chemistry and love story between Jenna and Matt add a bit of suspense to the story, while towards the end you will end up rooting for them! Admittedly, this one that the girls will enjoy more than the guys but do not take it to be a chick-flick no go for the guys. Overall great entertainment is derived, rather unexpectedly from such a film. A light, refreshing film that will uplift your spirits, what else could you ask?

Looking for the soundtrack of 13 going on 30

Author: queen_carine from France
16 May 2006

I love this movie and I'm watching it right now! I think the actress playing young Jenna is great and I LOVE Mark Ruffalo!! In fact I'm writing this comment because I'm looking for the soundtrack of this movie. Could anyone give me the titles to all the songs please? Merci :)I'm also new on this site so if you want to give me some advice, please feel free to do it! I have not figured every feature out, but as I'm a smart blond girl, I will of course! But, writing ten lines is really hard and I'm running out of inspiration there... So, I'll just end by saying, please help me find the titles of the songs. It would be sooooo kind of you!! :)

A Funny, Touching Romantic Comedy With Fantasy Elements

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
1 April 2006

2004's 13 Going on 30 is yet another teen film (or youth-oriented film) with a touch of magic a la Freaky Friday and if you like those films, this one is sure to delight you. Jennifer Gardner plays Jenna, an unpopular 13 yr old girl whose only best friend is a chubby school paper photographer Matt (M. Ruffalo). She wishes for her life to change for the better and she wakes up the next day to discover she's 30 years old and has missed the past 17 years of her life. Her former best friend Matt is now engaged to be married and an independent photographer. She is now a successful, wealthy photographer for a popular magazine. She has lost contact with her parents, missed Christmas with them, engaged in an affair with a married employee and has a hockey playing celebrity boyfriend. The movie resolves itself rather quickly and has something missing, I think. Even the theme of going back in time to right a wrong or past mistake or the theme of re-evaluating one's life is not as strong. It is mostly a comic film with a touch of magic and romance. Admittedly, it's funny. The scenes in which Jenna has to deal with being 30 when she's still only 13 are terrific. I.E.....she thinks a 13 yr old boy at a bar/restaurant is cute, she goes home with her boyfriend in hopes of playing a board game but is treated to a strip dance instead, she entertains her friends who are also 13. For some reason, 80's music is dominant in this film. It's not clear whether this movie is taking place in the 80's or whether Jenna and Mark were children of the 80's. They dance to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and Jenna keeps insisting that "Love is a Battlefield". Highly enjoyable but it could have been better. For one thing, it could have been longer, there could have been more of a sense of conflict and or despair. It's clear that Mark and Jenna will end up together. Their romance is never that much in danger of being thwarted. The villain of the piece, Lucy, a co-worker, is at first a friend and then an enemy/rival which happens too quickly. Even with all these little squibbles, this is still a good film.

forget everybody else who hated this movie... it was good.

Author: emily72991 from United States
24 March 2006

you know what? forget eveybody else who hated this movie. i liked it. The acting was decent. nothing spectacular... but it was pretty good. i think that jennifer garner was the perfect person for this role. It just fits her character. this movie isn't anything amazingly deep or anything like that, but it was a cute little film. It's a fun movie to see with your friends if your into this type of movie. It is a bit of a chick flick, but at least it was a cute one. Mark Ruffalo's acting was pretty good as well. There was some acting that was painfully bad though, i have to admit. Judy Greer, who played lucy wyman, did not act this part very well. Despite that though, the movie is definitely worth seein at least once.

13 going on 30

Author: amy-1989 from United Kingdom
14 March 2006

i've seen the film loads of times, and i think it has a great storyline. a lot of the scenes have some comedy in. my favourite scene is probably the scene where Jenna is at the work party, and no one's having fun, so she gets everyone dancing to 'thriller'. the film also shows that even though you think your life's bad, it could be worse, and it shows that by the way Jenna wants to be 30, and when she is 30, she realises after a while that it's not what she really wanted, and she did actually have fun being 13. Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo both portrayed the characters really well, and they worked well with each other.