IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 34: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Jenna was great; Matt was not

Author: partner55129121 from United States
25 April 2008

Jennifer Garner was fantastic in this. Perfectly cast, full of childlike charm, enthusiastic, and totally believable as a 13-year-old in a 30-year-old's life. She captured it, and I loved every scene she was in. This is the kind of movie that makes me want to go out and rent other Garner movies.

Mark Ruffalo, on the other hand, was amazingly miscast. He was depressive, almost never cracked a smile, and seemed totally bored throughout the entire movie. Every scene of his gave me the impression that he'd really rather be somewhere else.

There is no way Jenna would fall for someone as lifeless as Matt. That aspect of the movie lost credibility for me. I would've enjoyed it so much more had Matt been played by someone as lively and fun as Jenna. He's cute, but stiff as a board.

But all in all, Jennifer Garner made this an enjoyable way to spend the evening!

A cute, teen movie

Author: Gemma Brasset from Canada
2 April 2008

This movie was OK. It was cute, but not one of my favourites. Jenna Rink(Jenn Gardiner) was a 13 year old girl, and she was made fun of, all the time. She had 1 best friend. His name was Matt. She hated her 13 year old life, so she wished that she was 30. She turns 30, and she now works for her favourite magazine. She tries to find Matt(Mark Ruffalo), and when she finds him, he doesn't want to talk to her, or have anything to do with her. So as the movie goes on, she works, and she has a "boyfriend", and she is happy. She hangs out with Matt, and then by the end of the movie, they fall in love. He was going to marry someone else, but he left her to be with Jenna. I give this movie a 7/10.

Cute

Author: videogamer3960 from United States
25 March 2008

This is actually a very good chick flick. Guys you will be entertained almost as much as your girl when you are watching this. Jennifer Garner actually acts pretty good, but the rest of the actors you don't know or want to know. Of course the plot is stupid but some scenes are just bust-a-gut funny. I was rolling on the floor during the thriller scene. Heres a few things they could have left out for you: awkward child actress, sex jokes, and every guy actor in the movie. So if you can get over these problems, you've got a cute estrogen filled chick flick. So if you gulden pick up titanic and i know a walk to remember gets old pick this movie up. You'll get your $4 worth. Bye everyone!

13 Going on 30

Author: Adrienne Graham from United States
13 January 2008

I never wanted to see this film, but a friend brought it over one night and it changed my life. It is about love and redemption and what really matters in life. On top of that its so much fun and the music is good. Anyone who was kind of a freak as a kid would enjoy it. Anyone who ever danced around to Billy Idol or Thriller or The Clash should watch this. I was pleasantly surprised by how moving this film is. Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo are adorable. This movie is funny, and makes you remember that who you were when you were thirteen whether you are female or male, its worth remembering who you were when you became an adult. It makes you think about how it's not too late to go back to your original self. You should watch it!

Great movie! =D

Author: lunalovegood_92 from Mexico
10 October 2007

I remember how much I insisted my mother to rent this movie. I wanted to watch it in the movie theater, but we were so busy that that was impossible. So, one day after school she brought me there and I picked this movie. I think I chose the perfect moment to watch it: a week before my 13th birthday!

The situations that Jenna lives are so real that any girl of this planet can feel identified with them. Besides, I think Jennifer Garner was the perfect actress to play this role, cause she had the perfect combination of charisma and sensibility to make this character real. The same happens with Mark Ruffalo, it's impossible to feel anything but love for him! And the both have this great chemistry on screen that makes all the romance believable.

This movie made me laugh out loud, made me cry and made me feel in such a nice way that I cannot do something else but recommend it! Trust me, you won't be disappointed at the end of the film because I can assure you that you'll wish (depending on your age) to turn back time and have thirteen again or to make the clock go faster and become thirty, flirty and thriving!

Predictable but enjoyable and quite charming on its own terms

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
10 September 2007

Jenna Rink is a nerdy, shy and unpopular girl, who even ends her own 13th birthday party as an object of ridicule. In response she locks herself away wishing her childhood away and longing to be a successful and sexy 30 year old. She wakes the next morning to find that she has got her wish and is 30 years old living in a swish New York City with an attractive boyfriend and a high-power job as a magazine editor. The only problem is that her last memory was her 13th birthday party and she still has the attitude of 13 year old. So while everyone seems to have known her as an adult for years, she struggles to come to terms with this sudden change.

The title tells you everything you need to know about this film as it is simply a very slight twist on the many other "body swap" comedies that Hollywood puts out every so often. Within this genre it does just what you expect it to do – Jenna struggles with her adult self and causes all manner of confusion by still behaving as a child, before lessons are learnt and all is right with the world etc. However I did come into it expecting this and perhaps that helped me enjoy it because I didn't find myself complaining about how obvious it all was – maybe I had just accepted it as a genre piece with all the faults that come with the "body swap" genre.

As a genre film I found it to be quite delightful and I was quite taken by the breezy charm that it had. Of course narrative wise it is nonsense and at times I did find the "learning lessons" bits to occasionally hit the screen with a clunk but, like Jenna it is quite sweet within its own little world. Credit where credit is due because, although some of this charm is in the script the vast majority of it comes from a wonderfully selfless performance from Garner. She looks silly at times and the story doesn't help her that much but mostly she makes it work. Ruffalo isn't at his best but he has an easy charm to him and has good chemistry with Garner that works well in the scenes they share. The support cast is secondary to these two but they do mostly do what is asked from them, specifically Greer and Serkis.

Overall then this is a genre film and it is no surprise that the film brings with it all the predictability and weakness of the "body swap" genre. However once you accept this and get into it, you find that mostly this is quite an enjoyable and charming little film – sure the material is clunky but it is a bit like Garner's performance in that it is a little silly but yet hard not to like.

Jennifer Garner's charm compensates the lack of originality

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
20 March 2007

The "body-swap" concept is, by now, a fairly overused one. Back in 1988, when the Tom Hanks vehicle Big was released, it was a new, brilliant idea, but after almost twenty years it's probably time to come up with something new. Still, this doesn't prevent 13 Going on 30 from being an entertaining, albeit very predictable, comedy.

As alluded to in the title, the movie is about a 13-year old girl, named Jenna Rink. She's like any other teenager, that is until she locks herself up in a closet after a disastrous birthday party. While she's in there, she exclaims: "I want to be 30!". And what do you think happens when she comes out again? That's right, all of a sudden she is 17 years older, with no explanation whatsoever. Not that it really matters: why complain when your adult self (Jennifer Garner) is hot, works for a famous fashion magazine and is dating a hockey star? Actually, that last bit kind of troubles Jenna, who's more interested in finding the only real friend she had as a kid. And boy, has he changed: Matt (Mark Ruffalo) is no longer the chubby guy he used to be; instead, he looks good, has a decent job and (a shock, this one) is about to get married, just when Jenna's feelings for him were starting to evolve.

13 Going on 30 covers practically no new ground at all, with its sweet, but far from original story and quite stereotyped characters (although Andy "Gollum" Serkis manages to raise a few laughs as Jenna's boss). What makes it watchable is mainly Garner's innocent, believable performance, and the scenes she shares with Ruffalo are quite good as well, even if the writers never really focus on the fact that the relationship is between a grown-up man and a 13-year old (who looks 30, that's true, but deep inside she's still a kid). It's kind of refreshing to see the Alias star doing comedy, and what could have been an annoying pantomime is actually a convincing turn that never feels contrived or ridiculous. Shame the rest of the movie can't quite match her work.

In short, neither a throwaway rom-com, nor a comic milestone: just average, light entertainment, fun to watch but not much more.

6,5/10

Hard Lessons to Learn

Author: noisy_crickette from United States
10 August 2006

This is a cute, funny movie with an excellent message. Basically, Jennifer Garner plays Jenna, a cute 13-year-old with the same issues as any young teenage girl. She has her enemies whom she wants so desperately to hang out with, and she has her best friend Matt who is so desperate to hang out with her and only her.

Jennifer's dreams start to come true when the popular girls she calls the "6 Chicks" come to her birthday party. While there, they are horribly mean to her and she ends up wishing with all her might that she were 30, because she would be "30, Flirty, and Thriving". When she wakes up, she is.

Throughout the movie, Jenna learns what life really would be like if all of her dreams had come true. But she also learns what she had right in front of her the entire time.

Jennifer Charms Her Way to the Screen!

Author: moviewizguy from United States
18 June 2006

A 13 year old girl, Jenna, has her birthday. Her friend, Matt, gives her wishing dust. She invites the clique, The Six Chicks. They somehow ruin her party and gets mad at Matt. She bumps into his present and wishing dust falls on her. She wishes to be 30, flirty, and thriving. Then we see her wake up from bed. We see her at the age of 30! She's just getting used to be 30 and a magazine editor, which are being slaughtered by their enemy, the Poise Magazine. She gets help from Matt to make her life simpler than it is now.

This film is funny and sweet. Jennifer's charm lights up the screen and makes you smile and cry. Garner and Ruffalo's acting are great in the movie. They interact with each other great. If you watch the movie, there's something bad happening to her again and again. You'll have to question how is she going to solve this when those are happening?! Well, you'll get the answer in the end of the film. This film is truly fun.

It's just a feel good film that will make you smile. I recommend this film a lot! Great movie! Keep what you're doing Jennifer Garner!

Surprisingly uplifting

Author: from UK
2 June 2006

With such films you should not embark on watching expecting a great deal- and indeed I didn't. Being an Alias fan I wanted to see how Jenifer Garner delivers comedy. The answer is easily. She brings such a sweetness to the role of 13-year old Jenna stuck in the body of a 30 year old. Mark Ruffalo deserves a mention as well for his charming ways, playing Jenna's long lost school friend. The two complement each other very well. The story is not original but yet somehow it breathes an air refreshment and serves to uplift you. There were a rather sufficient amount of great comedic scenes that will serve to keep your interest at the very least. The chemistry and love story between Jenna and Matt add a bit of suspense to the story, while towards the end you will end up rooting for them! Admittedly, this one that the girls will enjoy more than the guys but do not take it to be a chick-flick no go for the guys. Overall great entertainment is derived, rather unexpectedly from such a film. A light, refreshing film that will uplift your spirits, what else could you ask?