IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Better than Big

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
5 January 2005

For some reason people hold Tom Hanks' BIG in high regard. I did not find it funny one little bit. And the supposed irony of him growing up to play with toys for a job annoyed me even when I was 8 years old. I knew adult life wasn't like that. For all of it's ridiculousness, 13 going on 30 is much better.

Plus it's more of a time travel movie than body-morph. It examines who we are as kids and how we end up as adults. It deals with relationships and lost innocence. Something far more interesting and relevant than anything BIG ever did. Plus Jennifer Garner is more easy on the eye than Tom Hanks. I wasn't keen on Mark Ruffalo being in this (I will NEVER forgive his moustache in IN THE CUT) but his character was (intentionaly) blank and emotionless enough for his performance to be unintrusive and he did a good job with it. It's difficult to care for a statue.

The Gollum guy playing Jennifer's boss was pretty much stereotyped and none of the other characters had much depth. There was no reason to get involved when you know their problems will become undone by the time-travel plot.

A nice way to spend a rainy afternoon. Just don't expect to remember it five minutes after it's finished. The DVD is in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with unengaging Dolby 5.1 sound and a bunch of extras I care not for.

Just Wonderful!

Author: cathlin from Ireland
7 December 2004

I loved this movie...I saw it on Sunday and had to rent it again during the week to watch it a second time.

It's just a magical, beautiful romantic movie. I am 30 myself now and I loved the soundtrack - it was so evocative! As other users have mentioned, they might not have got it spot on as 1984 but all songs were from the 80's - what a trip down memory lane!

Jen Garner was exquisite in it and as for Mark Ruffalo! WOW!!! I didn't know him before, but he is GORGEOUS and great actor too!

It was so romantic, my husband and I watched it together - I definitely shed a tear, he enjoyed it (not usually a girlie movie fan)

Rent it! It's worth it!

Feel good movie of the year -beats Bridget Jones 1 and 2 hands down!

If you're not taken with Jennifer Garner after this, you probably never will be...

Author: Victor Field from London, England
29 August 2004

Even Jennifer Garner has admitted the debt "13 Going On 30" owes to "Big," so let's just a) consider how the movie works on its own merits and b) be thankful that this movie is closer in quality to "Big" and "Vice Versa" than "Dream A Little Dream" or "Like Father, Like Son." Now that we've got that out of the way...

At the end of the second season of "Alias," Jenny's Sydney Bristow woke up to find herself in Hong Kong with two years having elapsed. Similarly, this movie has her character of Jenna Rink (hmmm... Jenna-Rink - close to "generic"... are writers Josh Goldsmith and Cathy Yuspa trying to tell us something?) waking up to find herself in a strange apartment with 17 years having elapsed, and in both cases she discovers things about what she got up to in the intervening time that aren't to her liking. The resemblance ends there, however - well, barring the odd bit of (metaphorical) backstabbing, romance and so on.

And barring further confirmation that she's less lost on the big screen than several in her position; not only does this play like a real movie and not a custom-built vehicle, but her charm and playing keep the movie going (for all of the good points of "Alias," it doesn't take as much advantage of her warmth as this does). Not that the dimpled one doesn't have any support from Mark Ruffalo as her childhood friend-turned-adult photographer and Andy Serkis as her editor, and not that she isn't initially a bit over the top as the child-adult... but she clicks the moment she exults over getting to ride in a limo (which fortunately isn't too long in screen time after her wish has come true), and Jennifer continues to put doubt at bay throughout the rest of the movie; from her exuberance in the "Thriller" scene (bonus: Serkis moonwalking... Sydney Bristow and Gollum shaking their moneymakers on the dance floor!) to her sorrow when she makes a horrible discovery about herself, it's very much her movie.

I fear this review might turn into what Americans call a "mash note" to Jennifer Garner, so before I get into how justified her boyfriend's nickname for her is, let's talk about the rest of the movie. It's got some awkward ways of setting Jenna up as a teen of the 1980s, which get in the way of the effect; though she's 13 in 1987, the most prominent tunes associated with her are Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl," Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" - not only does she quote it in conversation, but it plays over the end credits - and the aforementioned "Thriller"... all of which came out well before 1987 (we hear her singing Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight," which makes much more sense for a 13-year-old girl in 1987).

But it's to be praised for avoiding the obvious get-out clause at the end, and it's never going to be confused for anything other than a warm-hearted, non-cynical comedy. Maybe a bit too warm-hearted (how many magazines do you know that regularly dump celebs in favour of "real" people?), but a charmer all the same, and one that'll keep Jennifer Garner fans going until "Elektra" and the new season of "Alias" arrive next year. (And enough Julia Roberts comparisons - JG can do comedy, but can JR do action?)

Oh yes, and her boyfriend's nickname for her? "Sweetbottom." I told you it was justified.

inconsistent story line and disappointing acting

Author: quantumpeep from Durham, NC
10 May 2004

I will be the first to admit that as a 31 yo male, I am not the target demo for this movie. However, I went with an open mind and the hopes that it would offer simple, playful truths about the world and live up to the comparison with Big. It doesn't.

Jennifer Garner had her moments, but didn't quite pull off either the playfulness of being trapped in an adult body or the very real fear of showing up to work not even knowing what your job is.

Perhaps my main criticism would be that the movie is not self-consistent. I am happy to believe in magic dust that transports us to the future and fulfills our wishes, but: (SPOILERS) Does nobody realize she can't do most of her job anymore? Would a room full of people know the choreography to Thriller? Would she hit on a 13 year old boy in public without remembering that, oh I don't know, she's trapped in the body of a 30 yo and hanging out with her peers? Would anyone sabotage their current employer and keep the proof in their office desk? Ok, maybe the last one.

Mark Ruffalo offered the one glimmer of positivity for me with a quality performance as the one believable character in the movie.

Again, I admit that I am not the target for this movie. It certainly had the cast and publicity to be the next Big, but in the end, it falls well short.

I love this movie

Author: padma b from India
8 November 2014

It was amazing watching the first time and I couldn't help watching it again and again. Mar Ruffalo looks top notch and after Just like Heaven I was searching for all of his movies. This proved to be among the same league and I ended up loving him even more. After Colin Firth he is my top adorable in romantic comedies. It is one of those movies that I never get tired of watching again and again. Just wish they had more romance between leads. It left me craving for more such tender moments. Jennifer Garner has the main character and has maximum screen time and she proves herself in crucial scenes. She was lovely in thriller song sequence. Wish we can get more such movies

Another romantic comedy in a sea of identical movies

Author: Marko Zivanovic from Serbia
24 October 2014

The story of the movie is as follows: Jenna Rink (Jennifer Garner) is a 13-year-old girl, who was not among the popular in his school. Her wish is that he becomes friends with girls who are popular. After a really bad day, ruined birthday party, Jenna was locked in a closet and wants only one thing, that is 30 years old. Her wish is fulfilled, the day became thirty years girl. The story has already been exploited so many times that at the very beginning know the storyline and ending. I'm not saying that the movie is a complete failure when it comes to jokes. Has a few silly scenes, but they are rare. As for the stars Jennifer Garner was good, I think, is not a difficult task to play a girl of 13 years. But she was definitely the best part of the movie. The film received several nominations for the Teen Choice Awards. Which is fully justified, because it is designed for teenagers, who have 13 years old. Which will after this movie sigh, and think something like, "I'd love to love like this happen to me" or "I wish I was as Jenna Rink. Skip this movie if you have more than 13 years.

Watchable, But Nothing New!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
13 October 2014

I felt like I have seen the plot of 13 Going on 30 a trillion times before, so I was able to predict the outcome of the movie only two minutes in. It's not bad in any way, but it's nothing that great either. Only the always watchable Jennifer Garner makes this movie worth watching. The movie offers up a stale script, but Garner is able to infuse her charm to make this rom-com merely watchable. This is a great date movie for sure. It's funny at times and it kind of made me wish I grew up in the 80's.

Gary Winick's film is about a 13-year-old girl named Jenna Rink who wishes she was 30. Now she has received her wish and now her 30-year-old body must cooperate with her 13-year-old mind. As a magazine editor, they may be hard to do. When she discovers her best friend, Matt living nearby, she discovers that perhaps an old friend may be the flame of her life.

This film is well-acted and the acting saves the day. Jennifer Garner is the right person to work in a rom-com and she does an excellent job. She's cheerful, quirky, and a blast to watch. I must also mention Mark Ruffalo. He is nearly as good as Garner and they work very well with each other. It's also nice to see Andy Serkis in a role where he doesn't need CGI. He was a hoot to watch.

Overall, 13 Going on 30 is pleasurable enough to watch, stale script and all. In the kind of genre with this kind of plot, there have been better movies like 1988's Tom Hanks film, Big. I was entertained and thanks to the likable leads, the film sort of works. Not great, but not awful. I rate this film 7/10.

13 Going on 30 is enjoyable and pleasure to watch

Author: satkum1132 from India
9 July 2014

13 going on 30 is something which every teenager is like, the way how Jenna rink going in future and realize that she achieved all things which she dream , and became a editor of successful magazine, but she is in mess when realize that her loved one's including her childhood best friend's Matt Flammer is no more in relation, and also detached with her mom and dad are not connected anymore and feel herself lonely and cheated by her friend tom , but she tried hard to make things better but all is not gone well in time and Matt is marry with other girl .

The best part of film is the character of Jenna Rick played by Jennifer Garner and charter of Matt played by Mark Ruffalo who just put more depth in the role and make it's worth watching , Jennifer Garner natural charm and Mark Ruffalo stability , deepness and seriousness in her character makes the scene more beautiful to watch .

"Good Comedy That Takes Us Back To Our Childhood!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
24 April 2014

Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo and Judy Greer star in this 2004 comedy. Garner plays Jenna, a young woman who discovers that her wish of being 30 years old has come true. She has everything she could want, but is confused and tries to rediscover herself. She also tries to reconnect with her best friend, Matt (Ruffalo) who is a photographer. Greer plays Lucy, her conniving friend whom she works with for a fashion magazine. Jennifer is great in this and she & Mark have good chemistry. There's some heartfelt moments and features classic 80's songs like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield." I recommend this good comedy that takes us back to our childhood.

Timeless Movie

Author: laurenkarina130698 from Yogyakarta, Indonesia
23 January 2014

This isn't the type of a 'perfect' movie like Gravity or The Help, but regardless, this movie is timeless... I've watched it since I was a kid and I think I watched it for like 200 times or more already, but it never gets old.

I know it's an old movie, but I'm making the review now because I'm pretty young and I think I was still about 6 or something when this movie was made.

Yes, this is a chick-flick, but it certainly has a powerful silver lining towards you (quoted it online, but true,though): "u should keep the ones who stood by you while climbing the mountain, not the ones waiting for you at the peak."

Jennifer Garner was amazing!! She was funny, her acting was perfect, she's what I imagine an immature grown up would be. And I also love Mark Ruffalo there... he was pretty cute. and he's a really talented actor too. Oh yeah, and Judy Greer!!!She didn't have many parts here, but I loved her at the Carrie remake and it was really good to see her so beautiful at her young days (she's still beautiful now, BTW)

The story's not bad at all either. The lines aren't as cheesy as you thought. I even consider some of it genius. And I love the ending!!!