IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 22 of 34: [Prev][17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [Next]

The enjoyment of this film was absolutely owed to Jennifer Garner.

Author: labebe from norman, ok
1 May 2004

This movie is one I would see again just for Jennifer Garner's performance. She is effervescent and funny. The concept and execution of the movie is very "cute", but Ms. Garner is a winning protagonist and makes it work. She maintains all of the nuances of being a thirteen year-old (the awkwardness and naivete) without discounting the character or the audience. Also, with this film, I finally see Mark Ruffalo's grace as an actor. He has a subdued but strong presence. Andy Serkis is very good, as well.

sweet, mostly satisfying, winning performance by Garner

Author: hbs from United States
29 April 2004

Jennifer Garner is beautiful, of course, but she has another quality that shines here: she manages to appear consistently spontaneous throughout the movie. (Neve Campbell is the only other actress that I can think of who can manage to do this.) Garner's performance is so winning that the movie, which is otherwise mostly formulaic, still feels fresh. (She doesn't give a performance that is as masterful as Depp's in "Pirates...", but she shows that she has what it takes to be a movie star, and that's still something to see.)

Fun

Author: ShiaLaBeoufLover from America
29 April 2004

!SPOILERS AHEAD!

This movie was fun and an excellent movie for all ages. This movie was charming, sweet, funny, and cute. Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo make a cute couple in this fun movie. You'll enjoy it and laugh alot.

Everybody will enjoy it although some younger children may not be able to watch it for some mild sexual references like a raunchy strip-tease, magazine employees talk about article called '57 ways to get an orgasm', a passionate but sweet kiss, a man stands with just a towel on but nothing explicit. Also, some mild language and a few drug references (some smoking, mild alchohal drinking, some younger kids talk about getting beer, etc..)

But if you havent seen this movie you should. I recommend it! I give this movie an A

This is not "Big"

Author: clarinets from Canada
28 April 2004

I saw this movie yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I own the dvd of Big and re-watched it a couple of weeks ago, just so I could have a recent comparison. Well, the verdict is that they are two different movies altogether. In "Big", Tom Hanks wakes up older, but in the same setting and life circumstances as the night before. But in this movie Jennifer Garner wakes up transported into the future, with a whole history behind her of which she has no memory.

This movie is more of a time travel movie. Jenna (Jennifer Garner) has the chance to see what direction her life would take if she were to have the same mindset she has at 13. It kind of combines "It's a wonderful life", "Big", "Back to the Future", and makes it a unique movie all of its own.

Mark Ruffalo plays a great leading man, and the other supporting performances including that of Andy Serkis are really entertaining as well. I gave this movie a 7/10. It would have been slightly higher, but I found the ending to be quite awkward.

An exercise in movie meritocracy math

Author: Arch Snuggles Stanton (archstanton@ididitmyway.com) from Lycanthropeville, USA
28 April 2004

I think I've got this film rating thingy down pat (I had to use a shoehorn but that's another story). I'm using a one to five star system with half stars counting as half a star, and major aspects of the movie subdivided and then added together to make an aggregate total. I hope that's perfectly clear to everyone otherwise we might have to call in the UN to mediate. 13 Going On 30 gets one star for not having any scenes of explicitly rendered torture, one star for not having any CGI-generated monsters, one star for not having a comic book as its source material, a half star for being close to ninety minutes in length, and one star because Jennifer Garner is cuter than a parade float full of day-glow painted pink kittens. It gets docked one star for being a carbon copy of Big; another star for jumping on the 80's nostalgia band wagon (living through that decade once was two times too many); one star for making less sense than tooth whitener for horses; a half star for advocating that children use magic dust, and one star for featuring a completely gratuitous "Thriller" pantomime sequence.

So let's see, that leaves us with ... zero stars? Doh! Oh well, it's back to the drawing board. And people think rocket science is hard.

Enjoyable Movie

Author: whitelori
27 April 2004

This is a great chick flick with some really cute, funny scenes. This was my first time seeing Jennifer Garner act. I don't watch Alias so I've only seen her here for short periods of time while flipping through channels and it was very pleasurable watching her in this film. She is adorable and plays the part of an adult with a 13 year old mind very well. I enjoyed the fact that there wasn't any swearing or nudity which is a rarity and a big plus in my book. I originally didn't expect much and I knew it would be very predictable (which it was) but it was still very enjoyable and pleasant to watch. There was one comment in the movie I didn't like but I will not go into it because overall the film was great! It was very funny and a must see for women.

Umm.. question??

Author: cinemark from texas
27 April 2004

this movie had a GREAT story-line, i walked in prepared to laugh, cry and have an overall feeling of good-heartedness when i left...i love jennifer garner and the cast was superb.. but two problems....scenes seemed to be out of order and predictable..AND WHO EXACTLY WAS THE TARGET AUDIENCE???? i found myself watching scenes that were often childish and the next moment sexual.. the theater was filled with 8 year olds and old women!!!??!?! who were you tryin to reach?? this movie was just a total letdown.. i expected a lot of the butt-kicking Alias star, she did great but the directing around her seemed to lack!!! i wanted to badly to be uplifted after watching this film.. but i found myself upset when i left the theater!

HOOKS YOU WITH ITS CHARACTER AND CHARM

Author: mysteryman019 from Jefferson City, Mo.
27 April 2004

Jennifer Garner has the best smile in the business and she was tailor-made for this movie. She's a 30-something actress that has the spirit of a teenager and a funloving personality that fits this movie like a glove. Jennifer Garner needed a movie like this to show off her fun side.

Once Garner appears on the screen, you can't take your eyes off her. The sign of an actress who is destined for great things.

In 13 GOING ON 30, Garner plays Jenna Rink, a typical teenager who's caught up in being popular and is searching for an identity. The movie is about choices, regrets and life courses.

Despite its commonality to movies like BIG, FREAKY FRIDAY and WISH UPON A STAR, 13 GOING ON 30 hooks you into its characters, and that is it's greatest attribute. You feel the emotions and you get caught up in the storyline. Although the Wish Dust storyline was a little corny. Despite that, the movie is golden in the sense that the characters are vivid, charming and ultimately relateable.

If you're looking to smile, and maybe cry a little, or just looking to escape for a couple hours. There's no better movie than 13 GOING ON 30 to do that.

Garner shows excellent versatility, overall a great movie

Author: Chanel (julia_thorne) from New Jersey, USA
26 April 2004

I went to see this film with my mom today thinking that we could have a good bonding night. Already a fan of Jennifer Garner I wanted to see if she could switch from her roles on Alias and in Daredevil to a different role. She certainly proved that not only could she do action moves but be incredibly versatile and do a superb job in 13 Going on 30. Her expressions to the way she acted showed she was really into the acting and melted into Jenna's personality. This movie was great. It was really touching and showed how you can always get a second chance if only you had done one thing different. Make sure to take a chance to see this movie.

Jennifer Garner Is Absolutely Stellar With A Beautiful Smile

Author: aliaschik08 from Wisconsin, USA
26 April 2004

I am a huge fan of Jennifer Garner and 'Alias'. My friends and I saw it like the day after it came out. It was really weird to see her smile continuously throughout the entire movie. Nice though. She really shines in this movie. She is really born to play a 13-year-old. This is basically a very well-rounded movie. JG really shows how nieve 13-year-olds actually are. Through her character, JG really shows how the smallest decisions can effect your entire life. The crowd you hang out with could effect how you treat people later on in your life, even at 30 :)! Jennifer Garner is a wonderful actress and this movie is very family oriented, but is also really cool for teens and adults. I completely recommend this movie to everyone. p.s: WATCH 'ALIAS'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!