IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

"Jennifer Garner in the most wonderful performance of her career"

Author: simon-trek from Sydney, Australia
15 August 2004

This is an entirely new kind of movie for Jennifer, it's a big change from her action-girl roles such as agent Sidney Bristow in 'Alias' or as Elektra in Daredevil. This film is one of the most delightful comedy's I've ever seen. It will leave you both laughing and crying at the same time.

The film begins with this young girl named Jenna who is having quite an unhappy childhood. Even her 13th birthday doesn't go right for her. As a birthday present she's given this magic dust and wishes that she were 30 years old. The next thing she knows, she's a 30 year old woman living in an apartment with this "naked guy" because she first saw him when he walked out of the shower! She also has this job as a magazine editor which she doesn't even know about. So now Jenna is trying to piece together what has happened to her while at the same time she finds it kind of cool being a 13 year old in an adult woman's body.

This film has a lot of dancing, a lot of romance, a lot of laughter and a lot of great dancing music. Just listening to the music made me feel like dancing in the cinema. The is also quite emotional as Jena tries to piece together and learn from mistakes she has made when she was a child and ultimately give herself the life she wants.

All together this is a most delightful film to see Jennifer in, before she returns to cinemas early next year as the deadly assassin: Elektra.

Kids always wish to be adults. Now we are, isn't that great?

Author: Jennifer Avenell from Seattle, WA
7 June 2004

There is something special about a movie that causes you to see life differently when you walk out of the theater. Different in a good way. Not many films really do that, but this one did, for me. I walked out and it was as if the girl I had been was transplanted into the adult I am now. It's great to have a car to drive, my own place where my parents aren't waiting up for me to come home, great to have control of my life. I felt in touch with the child in me again, appreciative of where I am now. It felt good!

Jennifer Gardner brings an innocence and joie de vivre to this movie that is delightful. It was so much fun to watch. Definitly one for the personal movie library, when it comes out on DVD. I'm glad too that I went and saw it in the theater. It was a fun night out.

Surprisingly fun!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
2 May 2007

I am not a Jennifer Garner fan, to be honest, I just had no interest in seeing 13 going on 30, it looked like such a chick flick rip off of Big. But my friend told me about it and said that it was such a cute movie, so I rented it and we watched it together, I was actually trying to hold some laughter in because I didn't want to admit that I might have actually liked this movie, but I have to be honest, I guess I actually enjoyed 13 going on 30! It was really cute and was a sweet movie that worked very well, Jennifer did a good job on playing Jenna, I actually felt so bad for her, her feeling like she had no control over how she acted over the years before she turned 30. Well, I guess I should tell you a little about the movie.

Jenna is a 13 year old teenage girl who wants to fit in and be apart of the in-crowd. But when the in-crowd plays a nasty joke on her at her birthday party, she wishes that she could be 30 and flirty, her wish comes true and she wakes up to a great apartment with a hot naked man in it, she's not only the one of the top editors of her favorite magazine, but she's also a person that not too many people would want to be around since it seems like she was a sleazy and manipulative woman. But Jenna knows she's better than that and hooks up with her old best friend, Matt, to help her rediscover her past and find out how she could change her current reputation.

13 going on 30 was actually a charming film that I'm sure you'll enjoy. It was very cute and had some very funny moments. I loved the Thriller dance sequence, it was so great, and Jenna hitting on the 13 year old guy was so cute. I would recommend 13 going on 30 for a fun afternoon, I think you'll get a kick out of it, it's a new Big for a new generation.

adorable fantasy, winning star

Author: blanche-2 from United States
25 April 2005

Jennifer Garner is wasting her time with action flicks, if this film is any indication. She is a delight playing a young woman with the body of a thirty-year-old whose mind is just 13, having just gotten her birthday wish to be "30 and flirty." The character of Jenna, in true fantasy movie fashion, gets a glimpse of her life if she stays with a decision she made in one critical life moment.

This is a clever movie filled with great touches, such as a closeup on Jenna's face as she confides in her friends...who turn out to be a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds from her building...the magazine party where Jenna initiates the dancing...and my favorite, the scene in the restaurant, where her friend points out the "cute" guy.

Garner is supported by a wonderful cast that includes Mark Ruffalo and Kathy Bates.

Enoyed it!

Author: chrisgomez23 from United Kingdom
2 April 2012

The body swap genre has been done before, and to much success, but the sweet nature of this film cancels out any lack of originality. Jennifer Garner, transported from a 13 year old girl into her 30 year old future self, gives a thoroughly appealing performance which is backed up with strong support from the likes of Mark Ruffallo, Judy Greer and Andy Serkis. Greer in particular is very well cast, she displays subtle but perfect comic timing, some of it improvised (watch out for the Bambi line towards the end of the movie).

The main surprise with this film is its emotional punch. The importance of family and the importance of staying true to yourself is filtered into the plot without being too sentimental or cloying. By the time the more emotional scenes come around, you might care so much about the characters that you cry along with them. Unashamedly girly, this is one to watch if you fancy a feel-good film that dares to go a little deeper.

A Cute body swapping fantasy that will delight the younger viewers

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
19 September 2010

I have this on DVD for 6 years now and I truly enjoyed it. The movie is about a 13 year old girl who has no friends only a guy who fancies her and she hates her life so much. For her birthday her best friend gives her a doll house and magic wishing dust so when she goes into the closet after her party turns out to be a total nightmare she wishes to be 30 flirty and thriving. Magically she is transformed into a 30 year old version of herself and is a high flying magazine editor with a perfect life and a sexy man who is an ice hockey player. But there is someone that she misses the most her best friend Matt Flamhaff(Now played by Mark Ruffalo) who is engaged to a weather girl named Wendy. So she then realises that being an adult isn't as great as she would have thought. The chemistry between Ruffalo and Garner is cute and if you were born in the 1980's then this is for you as it has a great 80s soundtrack from Whitney Houston & Madonna. Also it is a cute romantic comedy that will delight teenagers alike. Worth watching.

Complete fun

Author: kyle-cruse from California
18 June 2009

I honestly feel that "13 Going on 30" is one of the most easily likable films I've ever seen. Many people have commented (and complained) about its similarities to Tom Hanks' "Big". That's true, considering the essential plot involving a 13-year-old suddenly finding themselves in an adult-sized body. From there, however, the two films vary largely, and for me, this film works better in every way. First of all, I like the concept of Jenna (Jennifer Garner) being advanced to the future rather than just waking up in the same time in an older body. I always felt too sorry for Tom Hanks in the original film to enjoy it completely. This film has a similar feel to "Freaky Friday" where we get to laugh a lot at the characters trying to adjust to this new environment. There are a lot of sweet, touching scenes in this film, which easily fits the category of a feel-good movie. For the many teenagers that watch this film, there are some good ideas being enforced, including the concept that the models shown in magazines are not real people and that teens shouldn't try so hard to look like them. The supporting cast, including Mark Ruffalo and Judy Greer, is decent as well, which always helps. This movie is more than a romantic comedy or chick flick and is likable for just about anyone. I enjoyed this film incredibly.

***1/2 out of ****

A breath of fresh air.

Author: Anjewel from United Kingdom
28 April 2008

I'm not one for chick flicks at all. But I loved this film to bits! I love the innocent take of a child in an adults life and how important it is to make the most of your childhood. It was an eye opener when it came to how much your life changes through and after school. And how the people in your life don't necessary stay a part of it. Very nostalgic, but in a good way. Yes, the plot has been seen before, but it gave it's own individual profile, and pulled it off very well. The cast was brilliant. It was funny, sweet, well put together and an overall delight to watch. Recommend to anyone who loves to watch something that makes you smile. It's a very feel good movie.

Finding your soul mate amidst Razzles, Piña Coladas, and magic...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
14 October 2007

In the early 1980s, a 13-year-old girl in suburban New Jersey dreams herself into the year 2004, where she's a 30-year-old fashion magazine manager in New York City--only, her fantasy is tempered by the realization she hasn't grown up to be a very nice person...and she let the love of her life slip through her hands. In less capable hands, this romantic comedy might have been nothing more than a distaff variation on Penny Marshall's "Big" (it even substitutes "Big"'s keyboard sequence with a "Thriller" line-dance), however director Gary Winick is very nimble and quick, skimming over the silly details and getting right to the heart of the piece. The story (as it is) doesn't bare close scrutiny (why, for example, does the magazine's fierce competitor need a make-over when it's supposedly outselling everything else?), but the sparkling cast easily sells this material, possibly even to cynics. This scenario is strictly a retro redux, but when true love conquers all, who's to complain? **1/2 from ****

Cute and sweet... accept that it's relatively formulaic, and you'll have a great time

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
11 August 2007

My fiancée and I sat down to watch this, not expecting much more than a cute romantic comedy, and Jennifer Garner playing herself(as seen in the blooper reels and behind the scenes interviews of Alias)... we were both very pleasantly surprised. The movie is genuinely entertaining and charming... Garner is sweet(and seeing her play this role has made us appreciate her performance on Alias all the more), as is the overall tone, and the movie is actually rather engaging. Admittedly, the script is formulaic to a degree, but if you look beyond that, you may very well like what you see. And the movie was effective and surprising to us both. The pacing was spot-on. It never dragged nor went by too fast, and the movie doesn't overstay its welcome. The humor was one of the best things about the movie; it's truly funny, it doesn't try too hard and it comes off as very real. It's reasonably inoffensive(apart from a few sexual innuendos), too. The cinematography and editing are both good, and tight enough, no real complaints there. The dialog is well-written and equally skillfully delivered. The acting is all great. The 80's feel and look were captured perfectly. The music, both selection and use, was also fitting and great. The message was really good, too, and it wasn't preachy, either. All in all, an entertaining and charming romantic comedy which will tug at your heartstrings if you only just let it. This gets a good treatment on DVD, as well... based on the Special Edition release(which I would say is worth owning for any fan of the movie), the menus and design are all good and there are several deleted and extended scenes, two music videos of 80's songs from the film, two games, a still gallery in video form, a blooper reel, two commentary tracks and two well-produced specials, one being a behind the scenes production. I recommend this, to any fan of the genre and/or Jennifer Garner. Oh, and children of the 80's as well. 7/10