IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Good performance, but an overused plot...

Author: moviedude1 from Minneapolis, MN, USA
16 August 2004

I think I saw this movie back in the 80's, didn't I? Wait! Jennifer Garner can't be that old...but Tom Hanks is/was!

I don't know why, but Hollywood has done a re-make, while changing the sexes. The only thing good about this film was the performance put in by Garner. The plot is getting old, but her child-like performance really tore at my heart in a couple of scenes.

Overall, this movie is average. If you're a fan of Garner's then you'll probably enjoy this film, but if you like the premise, then rent the original with Tom Hanks...BIG! I, for one, was glad I waited until it came out on video to see it!

adorable fantasy, winning star

Author: blanche-2 from United States
25 April 2005

Jennifer Garner is wasting her time with action flicks, if this film is any indication. She is a delight playing a young woman with the body of a thirty-year-old whose mind is just 13, having just gotten her birthday wish to be "30 and flirty." The character of Jenna, in true fantasy movie fashion, gets a glimpse of her life if she stays with a decision she made in one critical life moment.

This is a clever movie filled with great touches, such as a closeup on Jenna's face as she confides in her friends...who turn out to be a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds from her building...the magazine party where Jenna initiates the dancing...and my favorite, the scene in the restaurant, where her friend points out the "cute" guy.

Garner is supported by a wonderful cast that includes Mark Ruffalo and Kathy Bates.

Enoyed it!

Author: chrisgomez23 from United Kingdom
2 April 2012

The body swap genre has been done before, and to much success, but the sweet nature of this film cancels out any lack of originality. Jennifer Garner, transported from a 13 year old girl into her 30 year old future self, gives a thoroughly appealing performance which is backed up with strong support from the likes of Mark Ruffallo, Judy Greer and Andy Serkis. Greer in particular is very well cast, she displays subtle but perfect comic timing, some of it improvised (watch out for the Bambi line towards the end of the movie).

The main surprise with this film is its emotional punch. The importance of family and the importance of staying true to yourself is filtered into the plot without being too sentimental or cloying. By the time the more emotional scenes come around, you might care so much about the characters that you cry along with them. Unashamedly girly, this is one to watch if you fancy a feel-good film that dares to go a little deeper.

A Cute body swapping fantasy that will delight the younger viewers

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
19 September 2010

I have this on DVD for 6 years now and I truly enjoyed it. The movie is about a 13 year old girl who has no friends only a guy who fancies her and she hates her life so much. For her birthday her best friend gives her a doll house and magic wishing dust so when she goes into the closet after her party turns out to be a total nightmare she wishes to be 30 flirty and thriving. Magically she is transformed into a 30 year old version of herself and is a high flying magazine editor with a perfect life and a sexy man who is an ice hockey player. But there is someone that she misses the most her best friend Matt Flamhaff(Now played by Mark Ruffalo) who is engaged to a weather girl named Wendy. So she then realises that being an adult isn't as great as she would have thought. The chemistry between Ruffalo and Garner is cute and if you were born in the 1980's then this is for you as it has a great 80s soundtrack from Whitney Houston & Madonna. Also it is a cute romantic comedy that will delight teenagers alike. Worth watching.

Complete fun

Author: kyle-cruse from California
18 June 2009

I honestly feel that "13 Going on 30" is one of the most easily likable films I've ever seen. Many people have commented (and complained) about its similarities to Tom Hanks' "Big". That's true, considering the essential plot involving a 13-year-old suddenly finding themselves in an adult-sized body. From there, however, the two films vary largely, and for me, this film works better in every way. First of all, I like the concept of Jenna (Jennifer Garner) being advanced to the future rather than just waking up in the same time in an older body. I always felt too sorry for Tom Hanks in the original film to enjoy it completely. This film has a similar feel to "Freaky Friday" where we get to laugh a lot at the characters trying to adjust to this new environment. There are a lot of sweet, touching scenes in this film, which easily fits the category of a feel-good movie. For the many teenagers that watch this film, there are some good ideas being enforced, including the concept that the models shown in magazines are not real people and that teens shouldn't try so hard to look like them. The supporting cast, including Mark Ruffalo and Judy Greer, is decent as well, which always helps. This movie is more than a romantic comedy or chick flick and is likable for just about anyone. I enjoyed this film incredibly.

***1/2 out of ****

A breath of fresh air.

Author: Anjewel from United Kingdom
28 April 2008

I'm not one for chick flicks at all. But I loved this film to bits! I love the innocent take of a child in an adults life and how important it is to make the most of your childhood. It was an eye opener when it came to how much your life changes through and after school. And how the people in your life don't necessary stay a part of it. Very nostalgic, but in a good way. Yes, the plot has been seen before, but it gave it's own individual profile, and pulled it off very well. The cast was brilliant. It was funny, sweet, well put together and an overall delight to watch. Recommend to anyone who loves to watch something that makes you smile. It's a very feel good movie.

Finding your soul mate amidst Razzles, Piña Coladas, and magic...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
14 October 2007

In the early 1980s, a 13-year-old girl in suburban New Jersey dreams herself into the year 2004, where she's a 30-year-old fashion magazine manager in New York City--only, her fantasy is tempered by the realization she hasn't grown up to be a very nice person...and she let the love of her life slip through her hands. In less capable hands, this romantic comedy might have been nothing more than a distaff variation on Penny Marshall's "Big" (it even substitutes "Big"'s keyboard sequence with a "Thriller" line-dance), however director Gary Winick is very nimble and quick, skimming over the silly details and getting right to the heart of the piece. The story (as it is) doesn't bare close scrutiny (why, for example, does the magazine's fierce competitor need a make-over when it's supposedly outselling everything else?), but the sparkling cast easily sells this material, possibly even to cynics. This scenario is strictly a retro redux, but when true love conquers all, who's to complain? **1/2 from ****

Cute and sweet... accept that it's relatively formulaic, and you'll have a great time

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
11 August 2007

My fiancée and I sat down to watch this, not expecting much more than a cute romantic comedy, and Jennifer Garner playing herself(as seen in the blooper reels and behind the scenes interviews of Alias)... we were both very pleasantly surprised. The movie is genuinely entertaining and charming... Garner is sweet(and seeing her play this role has made us appreciate her performance on Alias all the more), as is the overall tone, and the movie is actually rather engaging. Admittedly, the script is formulaic to a degree, but if you look beyond that, you may very well like what you see. And the movie was effective and surprising to us both. The pacing was spot-on. It never dragged nor went by too fast, and the movie doesn't overstay its welcome. The humor was one of the best things about the movie; it's truly funny, it doesn't try too hard and it comes off as very real. It's reasonably inoffensive(apart from a few sexual innuendos), too. The cinematography and editing are both good, and tight enough, no real complaints there. The dialog is well-written and equally skillfully delivered. The acting is all great. The 80's feel and look were captured perfectly. The music, both selection and use, was also fitting and great. The message was really good, too, and it wasn't preachy, either. All in all, an entertaining and charming romantic comedy which will tug at your heartstrings if you only just let it. This gets a good treatment on DVD, as well... based on the Special Edition release(which I would say is worth owning for any fan of the movie), the menus and design are all good and there are several deleted and extended scenes, two music videos of 80's songs from the film, two games, a still gallery in video form, a blooper reel, two commentary tracks and two well-produced specials, one being a behind the scenes production. I recommend this, to any fan of the genre and/or Jennifer Garner. Oh, and children of the 80's as well. 7/10

Frolicking Fun ! Good Movie for Light Entertainment ..

Author: ichocolat from i1chocolat.blogspot.com
6 August 2007

Jennifer Garner plays Jenna, a 13-year-old girl who suddenly woke up as a 30-year-old executive, working in a glitz advertising & creative agency! Sounds like a disaster? You bet! Because even though she's a 30 years old with gorgeous body and a wonderful apartment and all, she's has a mentality of a 13 year old girl! It brings a new meaning to the idiom "careful what you wish for"! Credit to Jennifer Garner brings depth in her acting, with very good performance to make her character seem 'real' without the need to overdo it. The actor who plays Jenna's boyfriend is also top notch! The movie does it for light entertainment, audiences just have to sit back and enjoy as the movie unfolds. A score of 8/10 for this movie.

A great "light" movie

Author: elfflame from Seattle, Wa
23 June 2007

When I saw this one, I was pleasantly surprised. I expected no substance at all, but found myself watching a rather sweet and even slightly complex plot line.

Also, whoever did the casting did an excellent job. Particularly their choices for the kids. Each of them looked and acted a great deal like their older counterparts.

I was also rather pleased with the fairy-tale ending, because basically the whole story was a morality tale. The main character was taught a lesson and learned from it, improving her life for the better. I know this is something that annoys many viewers, but I think it was used to good effect here.

All in all, a very sweet film.