IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 35: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [Next]

Did I really just watch that?

Author: Darren Oviedo from New York
5 August 2004

This movie lacks something very important, a plot. The whole movie was just filled with unrealistic scenes with bad dancing, and little children. Jennifer Garner is playing the role a Girl who wishes to be thirty, what girl wants to be thirty???. Anyway she wakes up in a life thats everything that she dreamed, almost. She finds the friend who she left behind in it all, and realizes getting everything you want is always the best, typical. This movie has been done before in aspect or another. I suggest not watching it because you will realize how bad you life is. I give this movie 3 out of a possible ten stars because hey, Jen Greer and Jennifer Garner are really hot!!!. OH and i almost forgot, if it means anything, it was better than daredevil:)

What a surprise

Author: Heath Seabourn from Folsom, CA USA
5 August 2004

I went to Hollywood Video to rent Hidalgo but since they were out I though I'd get a movie to make my wife happy and suffer through it for love. Everything about the title and screen shots suggested that it was a woman's movie, but the adult humor and fresh look at our how adults live really give us a story about ourselves. It deals with giving up morals and sacrificing loved ones in order to obtain social and monetary success. There are a few really idiotic lines in the movie that left me puzzling, but didn't distract the flow of engaging comedy. I was really surprised to see myself laughing so much in this movie. It was a really wonderful romantic comedy and I suggest any guy go get this movie to watch with your loved one as you will score big points and be well entertained in the mean time.

GREAT MOVIE

Author: SanrioPC
4 August 2004

This movie was one of the sweetest movies i've ever seen. Call me a cry baby, but when Jenna went to Matt's place on his wedding day, I got all teary. =) It was a great great movie! I wish I had some of that wishing dust...but overall the whole plot of the movie was good. Matt was a very cute guy. hehe. great absolutely fantabulous super movie!

-sanrioPC

A great, fun, enjoyable movie. Garner is brilliant as ever.

Author: antony-1 from UK
4 August 2004

Naturally you know going into this film that this is going to be some light romantic fluff, and the marketing made that quite clear. This isn't a film that was pretending to be something it wasn't. This is a film that does exactly what it says on the tin, as it were.

And it did it great. It was humourous, and overall very enjoyable. It didn't rock the boat too much, and didn't do anything terribly new. But that doesn't matter, it set out to tell an enjoyable story, and that's what it did perfectly.

I particularly liked its overall message. More and more we become serious, money-driven, work-driven, result-driven... I think, without sounding too sentimental, that we do take life too seriously a lot of the time and forget what's important. This film was about finding our inner-child, and basically loosening up a bit. A message to which we really all should pay attention.

I should point out (in the interests of fairness) that I do officially love Jennifer Garner, there is no doubt about this. As an actress and as a woman she is second to none. And admittedly, I do wonder if I'd have liked this film half as much if it wasn't her. I did go to see the movie because she was the lead. But really, this role was hers. Jennifer is just so likeable, and likeable plays well for her role in this movie.

I left the movie happy, and in a great mood, which was nice. I watch plenty of movies that are deep, depressing or violent. And they're cool, I have nothing against them. But sometimes it's nice to have a slice of light-hearted fun entertainment, and this was it.

A good sucky film.

Author: im_dying_in_my_dreams (im_dying_in_my_dreams@hotmail.com) from Las Vegas, Nevada
4 August 2004

13 GOING ON 30 is one of those films that are only good to view once or twice. After that, you may vomit from the overly happy "twists" the film gave itself. Once it starts, you automatically think you know what is going to happen at the end, but to your surprise...IT DOESN'T! Woo! But still, watching all these other "time-travel" films [Donnie Darko, Butterfly Effect] changed all other "time-travel" film from that point on, and just makes this movie seem wretchedfully stupid, and at the same time, a movie to watch with your family. This movie has one of the lines I won't forget: "You can't turn back time." Why? Because if you can change the past, there will be no future. This wouldn't be here. [Donnie Darko is better!]

Cute but the musical time line doesn't follow

Author: s_leetalmon from Tel Aviv, Israel
26 July 2004

Overall a light enjoyable film, particularly because the music was from my high school days. This, though, was the main problem I had with the film.

The film takes place in 2004, the main character is soon turning 30 which would mean that approximately 16 years have passed. The musical references, Pat Benatar's Love is a Battlefield and Michael Jackson's Thriller were released in 1983 which was twenty one years ago which would have been from when she was eight years old. The closest the film comes to the popular songs that a thirteen year old would make reference to is Everybody Wang Chung Tonight from 1986. Would it have been that difficult for the screen writer to do a bit of research on popular music from 1988? The big pop music songs from that year were George Michael's Faith, Tracey Chapman's Fast Car, INXs' New Sensation and let's not forget the biggest hit for thirteen year old girls, Debbie Gibson.

Great movie

Author: Kristinartist79 from Long Island
26 July 2004

This was a great movie Allen was perfect to play Garner as a 13 year old! They looked so much alike! I found this movie to be very funny! I loved the part when Allen is at the party and plays a record (You do not see records these days) and put on thriller and danced! It was so funny when she was at the young teenage girl's slumber party and talking about the nice date she had with Matt. It was very funny when she found her high school crush, who was a very unattractive taxi cab driver. I liked when she made the wish and she magically turned thirteen, and, I loved when she made the wish at the end, when her Matt gave her present back. The actress and actor who played her parents, were good though they only acting in a few parts. This is a good movie to see if you want a good laugh

This is the cutest body-swapping film ever made!

Author: badgrrlkane from Irving, TX
20 July 2004

Jennifer Garner is a true goddess of an actress as she explodes from being perceived as just a big name TV actress who's done a few action films to showing her true acting abilities as the character Jenna Rink in the film 13 Going on 30. Just watching her facial expressions during the scenes where she's gone from being a 13 yr old girl one day to the 30 yr old she'll become in the future is a pure joy as she emotes so much expression that will have you laughing out loud 1 minute and then almost crying for her the next.After seeing the remake of Freaky Friday & laughing at the always great Jamie Lee Curtis in that film, I thought there would never be a better female performance of an age-swapped character & then comes this gem of a film. Ms Garner is the next Julia Roberts in the making. Also great is Mark Ruffalo as the spurned geek boyfriend from her junior-high years who turns into a major hotty as he gets older. Here is another great actor just looming under the horizion before he becomes a major acting superstar. ****SPOILERS**** The scene where they all dance to Thriller was truly cinematic genius & great acting from Andy Serkis & from the extremely I love to play bitchy roles cause there what I do best actress Judy Greer this movie is a must-see! Go now if you haven't. ***** out *****

Laughed Hysterically!

Author: cindy_hern from Texas
7 July 2004

This movie was really funny! I haven't laughed out loud like that in a movie in ages! As a person in her late 20s, I could really relate to everything that she went through as a 13-year old. The dance scene was the greatest! I think I had "Thriller" in my head for a week after I saw the movie.

If you're looking for a fun, entertaining, light-hearted movie, I would definitely recommend this as a trip to the theater or a rental! It provides lots of laughs, plenty of smiles, and even a few tears for some. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD - I'll be one of the first to buy it!

Unoriginal and predictable, but with a few good moments. Garner saves the movie.

Author: ks4 from EU
5 July 2004

Jenna Rink is 13 years old, she spends all day dreaming about moviestars and musicstars, while she wishes to become member of the cool clique, which is hard because it isn't her thing, at a birthday party they abuses her and she wishes that she could skip the teenage life and go straight to being 30, her wish comes true.

A very typical Hollywood movies, predictable pretty much from the start to the end, I were never really in doubt on how it would end up. But despite having this typical thing laying over it, it actually had some enjoyable moments, and I never really got bored, I guess this is one of those popcorn movies, I just don't think that it'd work as well the second time as the first time.

For me the movie were stronger on the romantic side, than the comedy side, being one of these typical romantic comedies both sides got to work in order to make a strong movie, and that just didn't work for me, but it does have some romantic moments which are well done, even though they are predictable. I smiled a few times, but I never really laughed, not that I expected that, the good thing about the humour is that the movie doesn't make up a lot of stupid comedic scenes to push the humour harder, that I found very pleasant, it made the movie feel smarter and more clever than the average American romantic comedy.

The movie however also had some poor scenes, I wouldn't call them dumb, but they should have left out the whole scene with Jenna making friends with the whole neighbourhood of 13's, a bit unrealistic the way I see it, I would expect that she'd have more of a predujice against these smalltimers now that she had become rich and beautiful, but I guess the director looked at it from a different point of view, never the less I found these scenes pointless.

The direction of the movie isn't very strong, but who could expect that from such an ordinary movie, I'd say that the strongest side of the direction was that the director avoided to bring a dumb feeling to the movie by adding a lot of dumb comedian scenes, which I liked, I hate these American teen movies that pushes the humour to the edge where it just feels ridiculous.

Jennifer Garner obviously carries the movie, she does pretty well and is quite convincing, in a movie like this where the whole plot is put on her shoulders it's good to see that she can fill the movie out.

Overall the movie is pretty okay, if one is in a romantic mood this movie would probably be one to enjoy, it doesn't bring much new to the genre, and there are definitely better movies to be found within this genre, but it's actually okay, it's just a pretty shallow movie that never succeeds in getting under Jenna Rink's skin during her transformation in her adult life.