IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 35: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Fab!!

Author: Jane Jones from United Kingdom
12 August 2005

I loved this film so much! It made me laugh and it made me cry. The plot was witty, original and well planned and the characters were the same. I loved it how the two time sections became linked! And especially how the two younger versions of Jenna and Matt looked like the older versions! This, in my opinion gave the film a polished edge! The actors were suburb! Garner was fantastic; her best performance so far! It was the perfect chick flick, it included boys, make-up and glitter! The film was just the right length as well, it didn't run on for too long or stop to suddenly. Adults and children alike will be tickled by the humour, this movie is the perfect film for a sleepover, a date or just a feel good film to watch over and over! Absolutely fab!

Cute and funny

Author: cami3386 from United States
4 August 2005

I initially resisted seeing this movie when it was out in theatres for some reason I can't remember. What motivated me to buy this at Walmart yesterday was Mark Ruffalo (sp?). Sigh.

Anyway, I brought it home and my 9 year old watched it twice in a row. I watched it last night, and again this morning and now my 13 year old, my 9 year old and I are all watching it again.

I am 37 and it makes me crack up. Totally laugh out loud funny.

Andy Serkis (aka Gollum from Lord of the Rings) is a hoot.

I know this is not very insightful, but if you are around my age with kids you might find this to be a family favorite.

Vastly entertaining as well as adorable.

Author: (astro_92@hotmail.com) from Crestview, Florida, USA
23 July 2005

13 Going on 30 keeps me amused from start to finish. Jennifer Garner delivers a stunning performance in a movie that is vastly entertaining as well as adorable. I think it's adorable early on when we are shown the younger version of Garner's character, Jenna, when she's in middle school. Young Jenna is a very sweet and beautiful girl who doesn't think that she is adequate enough for the greater aspects of life. However, she misjudges many of her own qualities. Jenna is very determined to grow up fast, hence the title of this delightful movie.

This movie is sort of like a remake of Big, the 1988 movie starring Tom Hanks. The main difference is that here the story revolves around a girl instead of a boy. In both cases, the results are very pleasing. If I had to choose either one, it would be this one!

A winning turn for Jennifer Garner in an otherwise unremarkable movie.

Author: say_andy from Canada
18 July 2005

For those that know nothing about this flick, it's basically a women's version of Big made for 2004. It's an adolescent chick flick through and through, is extremely formulaic and offers very few surprises and less originality. Not really the kind of movie I go for, but rather than bust on the movie for being what it tried to be and being designed to appeal to people that aren't me (namely those who are younger and without the Y chromosome), I'll try to judge it for what it is. What this film lacks in originality, it makes up for in charm. And that's almost completely attributable to star Jennifer Garner's comedic turn as a 13 year girl who suddenly finds herself in her grown up, 30 year old body. Co-stars Mark Ruffalo and Judy Greer contribute adequately with their little roles, but the truth is, were it not for Garner's performance, this movie would probably be unwatchable dreck.

Unlike Garner's other star turn Elektra, this movie perfectly taps into what makes the star so appealing: her megawatt smile and overall adorableness. She's not a sexy bad girl; she's a cute girl next door. Sure, she may briefly play a vixen on Alias, but overall, Sidney Bristowe is a vulnerable, sweet character. In 13 Going On 30, she turns up the charm to the max, and completely inhabits the mindset of a 13 year old girl in a 30 year old woman's body. Beyond what she says and how she says it, Garner's physical performance is pitch-perfect. She walks like an awkward adolescent unsure of how to handle her grown-up body. She can't walk in high heels, she cowers amongst authority figures, and enthusiastically chats on the phone. Garner makes the contrived idea of the movie easy to fall for because there is no moment where one does not believe that Garner is 13 years old. She proves herself an excellent physical comedian, and imbues the movie with such innocence and sweetness that it's hard not to get wrapped up in the movie and forget it's flaws.

A key ingredient to the film's plot is that, unlike in Big, Garner's Jenna Rink doesn't just wake up in a grown body, but rather she is transported from her life in 1987 as a 13 year old birthday girl, to herself as a 30 year old in 2004. A key difference is that everyone around her grew up and the world changed since Jenna last left it, so she has to deal with these changes. But more importantly, it allows the film to dodge issues dealing with modern teenagers and treat Jenna as the anachronistic innocent kid that we all remember from older movies. She's sweet and naive, not problemed and sexualised. This allows Garner to play her without an ounce of guile, making the character winning and fun (this is, after all, a comedy).

Ultimately, all I can say is that I enjoyed watching this flick more than I expected to. It adds nothing more to the genre and offers little to those who aren't already fans of the genre. It's a film that Julia Roberts would've made 10 years ago, but I doubt Roberts would have been able to pull it off as well as did Garner. If you were considering checking out the movie, but were hesitant to do so, I suggest that you do. You'll find yourself entertained and may consider the film a guilty pleasure. If you had no interest in watching the movie before, you're probably wise to stay away.

For Every age: 13, 30 and up to the Biggest..... (DVD)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
3 July 2005

I had a great time with this film and I am happy to finally have seen it.

Indeed, I had 2 big motives to that: 1 - I turn exactly 30 when it has been released in France (August 2004) 2 - I waited for a comedy starring Jennifer Garner, because she appears in news to be a sincere, dynamic & smiling young actress and I don't think her show "Alias" can show her true personality.

So, this movie part romance, part comedy is written to fit this side. The DVD commentary from the producers confirms this intention and my favourite remark is about Jenneifer's genuine happiness with "her toes even acting".

The movie is also appealing because it resounds with my own experience: It was shoot in New York (I dream about this town for nearly 30 years now but still never go there), and the working place (typically American: modern, organised, dedicated) is a big change from my daily job.

The story with its reminiscence of the 80's cult movie "Back to the future" (which was itself an homage to the 50's) is now a proud homage to the 80's.

That's the power of successful art: it can take your hobbies, daily life, feelings and put it in a glamorous perspective, so you can really feel fine....

In conclusion, a good recommendation !!!

Fun film

Author: lejjamie from United States
26 June 2005

A fun film for today's teens and those who want to relive fun of the 80's. Jennifer Garner is a darling "Jenna" and on some level every girl can relate to her be it at 13 (wishing she was an in control 30) or at 30 (a woman who has made it!). Mark Ruffalo is great as her photographer friend Matt. Supporting cast will have you laughing, dancing and smiling. Loved hearing "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield in parts of Jenna's Rick adoration along with other 80s references. You won't strain your brain watching this movie, but you (teen or adult) will be entertained. Thought it would be a hokey flick, but quality performances, a fun cohesive story line makes it happen.

A welcome and pleasant surprise!

Author: Boggman from Laguna Hills, CA
10 June 2005

I've never been a fan of movies like "Big" or "Freaky Friday"; where you have children living in adult bodies and vice versa. I also try to steer clear of "chick flicks" as often as possible.

Imagine my surprise when watching "13 Going on 30", which is an absolutely irresistible feel good movie with great performances, a well written script, and some excellent direction.

12 year old Jenna Rink (Christa B. Allen) just wants to be popular. I mean... what teenage girl doesn't?? However, she hasn't quite made her mark yet; but that is hopefully about to change. Her 13th birthday is coming up and she's invited the most popular click in school "The Six Chicks" to her party. Of course, none of the sought after Six Chicks (lead by snooty blonde Lucy: aka "Tom Tom") really want to go, until Jenna promises them that she will write their upcoming paper that is due in class. Jenna does have one lifelong friend in next door neighbor Matt (Sean Marquette), who harbors a secret crush on the young Jenna.

The day of Jenna's 13th party has arrived, and the basement downstairs is all set up in innocent teenage party fashion. Matt arrives with a hand built doll house (complete with wishing dust) for Jenna. Then the "Six Chicks" show up, along with the most popular boys in school; and our Jenna is on Cloud 9... briefly.

In typical childhood game fashion and at Tom Tom's suggestion, Jenna is blindfolded and lead to the closet, where she awaits a secret kiss from the boy at school she has a crush on.

Well the whole thing goes terribly wrong, sending Jenna in a tailspin where she eventually wakes up 17 years later in her New York apartment.

Hilarity and romance ensue for the remainder of the picture.

Jenna soon realizes that she eventually became the leader of the "Six Chicks", that she still works with Tom Tom as an editor for her favorite fashion magazine. She also comes to find out that she essentially got everything she wanted as a young teenager. In the process, she learns that as an adult, she has turned into quite the "BIT*H", and has alienated everyone around her; including Matt for several years, her parents, and her fellow co-workers.

It's all about rediscovering yourself as an adult with childlike eyes, as Jenna gradually finds out what she has become, and then does everything she can to change into the person she now feels she is inside. All the performances are great in this movie; from the young Jenna, Matt, and Tom Tom: to the now older versions of Jenna (Jennifer Gardner), Matt (Mark Ruffalo), and Tom Tom (Judy Greer).

Jennifer Gardner is absolutely irresitable, charming, comedic and lovable as Jenna Rink. If your not a fan of hers, you more than likely will be after this movie.

This is simply a great feel good movie, worthy of more than just one viewing. However you would categorize a film like this (i.e. "chick flick", romantic comedy) one thing is certain: "13 going on 30" is sure to wrap you around its finger.

nice clothes

Author: just5bydec2004 from Belgium
5 June 2005

i have to admit i watched this film for its clothes... and they didn't disappoint. the cuts were fantastic... which reminds me: the editing wasn't the best in my opinion. some scene to scene jumps were too slow or not smooth enough. e.g. elevator scene about "boobs" then after a-too-long awkward 'pause' cuts to walking down the corridor with the girl which i thought was unnecessary.

Overall i give this movie a 6 (plot, editing, script, acting)i though the acting was solid all round. the bitchy 'best friend' role was done to perfection by (her name escapes me- but she was great). Jennifer Garner, bursting with enthusiasm is too cute to criticise. Although 6 may seem like a low score, not that anyone cares, i did quite like the movie. It's a fun, popcorn movie...with great clothes.

Pleasantly enjoyable.

Author: kenneth groom (keng5@mac.com) from United Kingdom
3 June 2005

A young girl of thirteen is not having a very happy time at school and, after having some magic dust sprinkled on her, wishes she was thirty. Hey presto! she wakes up the next morning to find her wish come true; she's now thirty! But that doesn't mean that she's a girl of thirteen in the body of a woman of thirty; it just means that all those years in between have been erased from her memory. The woman she now is has worked her way to near the top of the tree and is the design editor of an up-market fashion magazine having out-gunned her school tormentor who's in a more junior position.

You have to suspend disbelief a huge amount in this film. Quite apart from the main ridiculous premise, she meets again her school sweetheart, played by Mark Ruffalo, who doesn't recognise her and who we are asked to accept she hasn't seen or spoken to for the past seventeen years, even though he lives just around the corner and works as as fashion photographer in the same business. She tries her very best to make him fall in love with her and they have a nice time together, but unfortunately he is engaged to be married. Does she get him in the end? Impossible too say; the end of the film is a puzzle.

I found all this very difficult to swallow. Why for instance doesn't she show the slightest curiosity about what she has been doing for the past seventeen years? But if you can put all this nonsense on one side, the film is very entertaining and has a very enjoyable dance sequence. However the whole film rests on the brilliant performance of Jennifer Garner and the film is worth seeing for her performance alone.

Excellent - fantastic thoroughly entertaining

Author: (abrophy-1) from United Kingdom
1 June 2005

I found this movie thoroughly enjoyable and very entertaining. Jennifer Garner is fantastic and really brings the movie to life with her cheerful bright personality and character. A lovely story which as the title suggests is about a girl of 13 going on 30 and with an inspiring cast and sound tracks supporting this movie it really is one to watch. Romantic, funny, sad and exhilarating in all the right places, 13 going on 30 is well written and I was glued to the movie all the way through and would certainly watch this again and again. I can certainly relate to some of the story lines portrayed in the movie and it takes you back to your youth in some scenes but Jennifer plays this really well and it really is a funny enjoyable movie to watch.