IMDb > 13 Going on 30 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 35: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

The best chick flick ever

Author: marianne-55 from New Zealand
31 December 2005

I thought that this would be an at best mediocre chick flick. It seems to be clichéd in the beginning: Jenna gets her wish with magic wishing dust and turns 30.

So the beginning is a bit weird but it sets up for a great film with Jenna finding out that she doesn't like the person she is in the future. And strangely bigger is better in this film because Jennifer Garner's total overacting suits it well and makes it very funny.

It's not just funny. At one point I found myself crying because things just seemed so hopeless even though I knew there'd be a way to fix it. (Not so in real life unfortunately.) Watch out for Mark Ruffalo as the sweet Matt because he is HOT and I fell in love with him myself by the end of the movie.

A sweet chick-flick girlfriends can enjoy together

Author: Karilee from United States
19 December 2005

This movie can be described as a chick-flick basically because it is.

A girl wishes she was an adult on her birthday and when it comes true, she gets the chance to see what her life will turn out like. As the movie progresses, she learns even though she gets everything she ever wanted, she doesn't like who she becomes. She then goes about trying to change the mistakes in her life she doesn't even remember making.

The film is filled with laughs and cute moments of love. Jennifer Garner gives and A+ performance as an adult looking at the world through a child's eyes.

I'd recommend this movies for a girls-night-out.

My guilty pleasure film of 2005.

Author: Travisty from United States
15 December 2005

I can't believe how much I like this film. It is repeated so much on cable that I ended up finally giving in to Jennifer Garner's combination of sexiness and cuteness. Even though Mark Ruffalo is usually enough of warning to keep me away, I found 13 Going on 30 to be funny, engaging, and well made. The movie rests on Ms. Garner's petite shoulders, and her winning personality carries this film throughout. Sometimes the plot is forced along by unrealistic situations but there is so much wide-eyed wonder conveyed by Ms. Garner that you easily forget about it. This film has won many converts who at first questioned my attachment to it. As a bonus it also has the wonderful Judy Greer of "Arrested Development" as the evil friend. Judging it on its own merits as a lighthearted romantic comedy with a twist, I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

Jennifer Garner is "13," quickly going on "30"

Author: dee.reid from United States
29 November 2005

Ah, the fairy tale; to think all ideas in Hollywood magic had been quickly exhausted all those years ago. In director Gary Winick's sweetly magical "13 Going On 30," a lot of bank is rolling on the innocent-teenage-girl-in-an-adult-world routine picked up by star Jennifer Garner, who makes a transition from her usual female ass-kicking to something that is more fairy-tale Barbie than the usual stuff we've seen on "Alias." And it works, somewhat.

I think it helps if you have a thing for Mrs. Garner. She could use a little dental work and maybe some slight plastic surgery, but these are all petty, personal grievances; on the whole, she's gorgeous the way she is. But here, she makes a mildly entertaining chick flick work, in a role first made famous by Tom Hanks in "Big" (1988). Yes, "13 Going On 30" is another body-switch movie where an adult actor has to act on screen like a teenager. The only wrinkle this time is it's a girl switching bodies, not a boy. Switching bodies - a smart way to preserve your youth, I might add. (A lot of age-obsessed actresses in today's Hollywood could learn a thing or two from this picture.) But the drama ensues when the person discovers adulthood is not everything it is made out to be, and wants to change back.

In "13 Going On 30," Jenna Mink (Christa B. Allen) is living the 13th-year hell in 1987 New Jersey. Unpopular, wanting to fit in with the cool crowd and her best friend is chubby photographer-geek Matt (Sean Marquette), she wants more. Her bedroom walls are plastered with magazine cut-outs of pretty people, all whom she wants to desperately be (and all we cared about in '87 was looking cool). To add insult to injury, it's her birthday, and after a disastrous party and using some magical fairy dust (just bear with the movie), she wakes up the next morning in the body of a 30-year-old woman, now played by Garner.

Living in New York in the high-class world of magazine publishing as an editor, she has to make a number of fast adjustments to her new life. Once she figures out what's going on, she starts by reading "Magazine Publishing for Dummies" and tries to learn her past since she can't remember anything beyond her disastrous 13th birthday party.

She is best friends with Lucy Wyman (Judy Greer), the snobbish popular girl she wanted to be cool with as a teenager and now she is, and you can count on one of them stabbing the other in the back to get ahead in the fashion world. Trying to learn the more significant details of her past, she is clued in by Lucy and what she learns does not make her happy: she has cut herself off from her parents, has a hunky hockey player boyfriend (their first make-out scene is a disaster, saying he's "gross" after running out of the apartment), her magazine is on the rocks because of a rival company, and she has no idea what happened to Matt.

Well, to make long stories short, she forgot him, cut off her relationship with him, but manages to track him down. Living in Greenwich Village, Matt (now played by Mark Ruffalo), is set to be engaged and instead of bearing ill feelings towards Jenna, the two rekindle their friendship, despite the drastically different paths both of their lives have taken.

I think anyone who's watched it with an open mind will realize it's a role Garner was born to play. It's a little uneven at first, though this is quite familiar territory, but once she finds her groove and works on it, she carries the movie with her innocent-girl performance. She is rather delightful, but unfortunately, we've seen it all before and we know the plot devices by heart (I won't bother listing them).

The script needed a lot of work for this presentation, as it spends a lot of time on the magazine dilemmas much rather than Jenna coming to grips with her new adulthood. And many of her fellow co-workers, especially Lucy, or even her chief editor, don't find Jenna's new behavior quite odd. A lot of the ideas she presents for her magazine's makeover at a board meeting are terrible, but for the sake of plot convenience, they love it all.

Matt doesn't seem sufficiently bothered either by Jenna's sudden barging-in on his life after 17 years of no contact, though I think the film hints that he knows what's going on a little bit. And the ending seems a bit rushed too, as it felt like the scriptwriters were running out of ideas and just said to heck with it, it's a fairy tale; just slap on a happy Hollywood ending. But Jenna and Matt make such a cute couple, so this, I think, can be almost forgiven. Just call this a perfect example of how Hollywood has grown less daring and skillful over the years.

I feel I need to clarify myself in some of my protests. I'm a sucker for sappy romance movies, even Hollywood chick flicks like this one. I'm a guy, and so I shouldn't have a heart for this sort of stuff, but I do. Jennifer Garner is a beautiful, wonderful actress and I think anyone who watches her here will know she is someone special. Look at me, praising a chick flick despite a number of grievances with plot.

"13 Going On 30" is a strong deviation from what I'm used to watching, as well as Mrs. Garner's usual material, but at least here, she's found a comedic mode that works for her, in a fairy tale romance that successfully got to me. {Blushes}

Thoroughly Delightful

Author: earthe from United States
11 November 2005

I thought this movie was thoroughly delightful. I loved it from beginning to end. Although the plot is not new, Jennifer Garner adds a wonderful quality to it that is inspiring. She really is convincing as a thirteen year old girl in a 30 year old body. I took the full ride with her character as she moved throughout the whole experience. I think it is so wonderful to watch the child in each of is in full play and yet there was this seriousness about the subject that made it fully believable. Jennifer has such a purely delightful aspect to her character and that let so much to the movie. Thanks so much for this wonderful experience.

charming romantic fantasy

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
6 November 2005

It's 1987 and Jenna Rink is a pubescent teen deeply unhappy with the state of her life. Unable to fit in with the "in" crowd, Jenna makes an idle wish on her 13th birthday that she could instead be a 30-year old woman already living the life of glamour and independence she feels she so richly deserves. Through some magical fluke, she achieves her wish, waking up in 2004 in the grown-up body of a successful fashion magazine editor. The problem is that she is unable to remember the seventeen years that have elapsed since Madonna was in vogue and the hip kids were still strutting their stuff to the heavy dance floor beat of Michael Jackson's Thriller. As a result, Jenna has to spend a large part of the movie trying to piece together the events that have brought her to where she is today.

"13 Going on 30" is one of those high-concept romantic comedies that succeeds or fails based on its ability to transcend the confines and restrictions of its particular gimmick. Happily, this movie is quite effective at doing just that. Although the screenplay touches on the expected conflicts Jenna has coming to terms with a world filled with unfamiliar devices such as cell phones, it also explores the more personal aspects of how a 13 year-old would deal with the grown up issues of dating and sex. In addition, Jenna also has to contend with the fact that she doesn't really much like the kind of person she's become - a conniving, status-seeking, career-drive snob - and looks for ways to turn back the clock and make amends for her actions.

Jennifer Garner sparkles as the older Jenna, and Mark Ruffalo is, as always, compelling and charming as the sensitive boyhood chum whose love for Jenna has never faded. They alone make the occasional plot hole and narrative contrivance forgivable. The film also boasts a soundtrack chock full of nifty '80's songs, every other one of which seems to feature Belinda Carlisle in the lead vocal. It's hard to argue with a movie with taste like that.

A must see for any girl

Author: holly_cgab from United Kingdom
24 October 2005

I loved this movie. Romantic, funny, light-hearted and uplifting, I would strongly recommend this to all women who are young at heart, and this is a must see for teenage girls.

Set in New York, this is the story of girl who wants to grow up and hit the big time, Jenna Rink longs to be '30, flirty and thriving'.

This movie has everything you could ask for from a romantic comedy, and I can hardly think of anything bad to say about it, apart from being slightly predictable, and a little unrealistic, these faults fade away after the first half hour when you begin to fall in love with the movie.

Charming and wonderful, with a great soundtrack. The trailers and adverts for this movie may make it seem as though it's a film for young girls, but I think that it is aimed mainly at young women who believe in romance. Go see it!

Big to the Future

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.2020-movie-reviews.com
19 October 2005

This featherweight comedy draws obvious comparisons with Tom Hanks' 80s hit Big, but differs inasmuch as, in this one, Jennifer Garner is transported into the body of her older self and also catapulted some seventeen years into the future, from the mid-eighties to the present day. She discovers to her initial delight that she has become a hot-shot women's magazine sub-editor who might have the trappings of success but, of course, lacks the important things in life like family and friendship and a boyfriend with an IQ higher than his shoe size.

This is strictly by-the-numbers stuff, but it's saved from mediocrity by Jennifer Garner's exuberant performance as the 13-year-old kid living in a grown-up body with boobs. You can't help but laugh at her portrayal of a big kid – somehow she comes across as more of a thirteen-year-old than the thirteen-year-olds who share the screen with her – and she skilfully handles all the requisite childlike actions and faces. Where Hanks shared a tune on a giant floor piano with Robert Loggia, Garner throws herself into the synchronised dance routine to Michael Jackson's Thriller with old childhood friend Mark Ruffalo who has also transformed from a chubby teen to a hunky thirty-year-old. The writing's on the wall for the pair of them, and the film doesn't really provide any surprises on the way – apart from the abrupt and unexplained disappearance of Garner's ice hockey star boyfriend after he performs a striptease that has her gagging behind a cushion. But it does, of course, deliver the obligatory saccharine message about remaining true to the child we once were, etc, and so on and etc.

This undemanding fluff is enlivened immeasurably by Garner's performance, which has probably earned it a better rating on this site than it really deserves. It's all wrapped up with unseemly haste, as if the makers realised a few more minutes running time would mean one less screening per day at the multiplex, and is almost instantly forgettable. If you want to see a body-switch movie watch Big, a film that seems to have earned itself the status of benchmark against which all subsequent body-switch flicks are measured.

One of my all time favorite movies.

Author: dianawannabe1129 from United States
5 October 2005

When I first saw this movie, I wasn't expecting much. I thought it was just going to be another simple romantic comedy. I was blown away! Jennifer Garner is wonderful as Jenna, Mark Ruffalo is a great supporting role as Matt, and Christa B. Allen as young Jenna is also good. I see Allen starring in more movies in the future. My favorite part is when the magazine editors are all dancing to "Thriller". Ever since then, I've practiced the moves. I did them at camp, and everyone was impressed. Richard Roeper liked this movie. I have to say I agree with him. I've heard Roeper is an idiot, but he liked this movie, which is always a plus! Go see it if you get the chance!

"Thirty, Flurty And Thriving!"

Author: richard-wheeler from Gauteng, South Africa
18 September 2005

13 Going On 30 was a story about a girl named Jenna Rink (Christa B. Allins) who wanted to throw a birthday party for her 13th. She invited the "Six Chicks" because, Jenna would help them with the school project. Jenna liked the Six Chicks because she wanted to be cool. And at the party, everything went wrong! Tom-Tom (Alexandra Kyle)fooled Jenna to go into the closet and Chris Grandy (Alex Black)would come and kiss her. The party just left! And her friend, Mat (Sean Marquette) found her in the closet and told her that everyone split! And there, Jenna wished to be thirty and her wish came true! The next morning, she was 30.

Jenna didn't know her future surroundings: Men and cellphones and she couldn't believe that her partner was Tom-Tom at the age of 30 (Judy Greer. And was shocked to hear how horrible she was as an adult. And she couldn't believe that she broke her friendship with Mat (Mark Ruffalo). But she was thrilled for what she became in the past.

Jenna decided to spruce her life up by becoming nice and everyone thought she was totally lost! She became friends with a 13 year old girl named Becky (Renee Olstead) and spicing up the magazine party with Michael Jackson's song: "Thriller". But at times, she kept forgetting that she was NOT 13 anymore: Saying to a boy that she liked him (Justin Burke). And thinking of playing games instead of sexual games with her boyfriend.

And Jenna face some disappointments:How she threw her Dreamhouse at Mat which he made for her 13th. And Mat was in love with a woman named Wendy (Lynn Collins) and they were moving to Chicago once they were married. Pat Benatar was right, love is a battle field. And also, Tom-Tom also known as Lucy Whiteman stole Mat from Jenna, the pictures too and Jenna's new job! And this all happened on the day Wendy and Mat were getting married. Jenna was given her Dreamhouse by Mat and she wished to be 13 again. And her wish was granted.

To end the film, Jenna decided she didn't want to be friends with Tom-Tom and she told her to do the project on her own and threw Tom-Tom's drink at Tom-Tom. And Jenna and Mat got married and they lived happily ever after.

This film brought back memories when I was young and all the trouble I went through with making friends, being bullied and those who I hated so much! And today, when I see those who I hated so much and I might not ever see them again makes me want to make a wish and the wishing dust would go everywhere and my wish would be granted.

This movie also talks about kids who hate their lives and they want to become older because, they do not want to stand up to the pain that they experience continuously. It's a HUGE shame that kids are cruel to each other and then finally, when they are all adults they all have piece with oneself. And at timed not.

This movie should get one GIGANTIC award for what it tells viewers what kids experience when they are young , they want to become older right away and live a new live and then, something goes wrong and they wish to turn back time as if they are living in one, huge fairy tale.

Oh, if I could turn back time or turn it forward...